1-20 of 45 items from 2017 « Prev | Next »
3 July 2017 10:01 AM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »
Portuguese authorities have rejected a television program's claims that one of the country's most cherished historic monuments was damaged during the shooting of a film by director and former Monty Python star Terry Gilliam.
The General-Directorate for Heritage says an investigation has found that the 12th century Convent of Christ suffered only "insignificant" damage during a recent location shoot for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
The report published Monday said a program by public broadcaster Rtp alleging wider damage "lacked rigor and revealed a lack of scientific knowledge."
Gilliam has previously called the allegations "ignorant nonsense."
The convent was »
- the Associated Press
Zoe Lister-Jones’ latest movie was made with an all-female crew.“Band Aid,” the Sundance darling, also featured an almost-all-female cast and was “all-female enough that the financiers, a bunch of dudes, were respectfully told from the start they would be barred from visiting.” Get it, girl. (Vulture) “Come From Away,” Bette Midler, and Andy Karl win at 2017 Drama Desk Awards.The 62nd annual Drama Desk Awards honored Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway, or as emcee and Drama Desk Award winner Michael Urie put it, “way the F-Off-Broadway,” on Sunday, June 4. (Backstage) “Black Girls,” the web series you should be watching, is being developed for HBO.Writer Fatimah Asghar and director Samantha Bailey have signed a development deal with HBO to create an untitled show based on the series. (Elle) 17 years later, Terry Gilliam has finally finished his passion project.The director started shooting “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” in 2000 (though »
Director Terry Gilliam has finally wrapped production on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, which has been in the works for 17 years. Terry Gilliam Completes Don Quixote Project Gilliam has gotten so stuck on this project over the years that a documentary about his efforts was even completed before this film (called The Man Who Shot Don […]
- Hillary Luehring-Jones
Get in touch to send in cinephile news and discoveries. For daily updates follow us @NotebookMUBI.NEWSFrom Terry Gilliam's Facebook page comes some of the unlikeliest news in the history of cinema: "After 17 years, we have completed the shoot of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Muchas gracias to all the team and believers." We'll believe it when we see it, but boy do we want to see it!In other long-in-making news but from the other side of the film industry, American avant-garde filmmaker Nathaniel Dorsky has revealed that he has edited old footage shot on the now-discontinued Kodachrome 16mm film stock into five new films (!), including "a document from the weeks that Stan Brakhage was dying..." Hopefully we will get to see these in the festivals and venues for alternative cinema where Dorsky's fans usually savor his work.The New York Asian Film Festival, the United States's »
Despite lead actors falling ill and sets washed away in flash floods, the director’s Cervantes film is finally in the can. But will a movie that has lingered in development hell be worth the wait?
‘Terry Gilliam has finished The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.” It’s a sentence that anyone familiar with this most prolonged of movie-making sagas would never have expected to read. Over its gestation period of two decades, the Monty Python man’s doomed attempt to bring Cervantes’s “unfilmable” novel to the screen has become one of the most famous examples of development hell. It has inspired numerous articles and even a documentary about its disastrous production, as well as hushed rumours that both the film and Gilliam were cursed.
Even when Don Quixote first went into pre-production, way back in 1998, it seemed destined for trouble. Gilliam had put together a wildly ambitious script »
- Gwilym Mumford
The Wrap is reporting that Terry Gilliam, famed director and one of the founding members of Monty Python, has wrapped production on his movie The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, the movie he has been trying to film since the early 2000's. Initially starring Johnny Depp, who had starred in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas for Gilliam, the movie saw a number of setbacks which saw production halted. A documentary on the initial filming was created called Lost In La Mancha detailed the reasons why the movie failed. The new movie stars Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce as Don Quixote.
Terry Gilliam is a great director but I'd be the first to admit that his work is not for everyone. He's had some main stream hits with movies like Time Bandits and 12 Monkeys but most of his work, while visually amazing, don't have the appeal that will connect with a mass audience. »
- Tim Jousma
Terry Gilliam Finishes Production On The Man Who Killed Don Quixote Shooting has ended on The Zero Theorem director Terry Gilliam‘s highly-anticipated fantasy film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Long regarded as a lost film, the project languished for years in development hell and became the subject of a story as outlandish as the [...]
- Reggie Peralta
Chris here, with some heartwarming news: a film nearly twenty years in the making has finally wrapped filming. You'll remember Terry Gilliam's ill-fated attempts to adapt Cervantes's legendary Don Quixote to the big screen as they were told in the documentary Lost in La Mancha - floods, lost funding, and casting woes made this film one of the most notorious productions of all time.
But now Terry Gilliam's The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will rise from the ashes of cinema history. Gilliam has completed filming - with a new cast that includes Adam Driver, Jonathan Price, and Stellan Skarsgård - and Amazon will bring the film to theatres sometime next year. Someone please protect the digital print (or film, if Gilliam went that route) from any mishandling so that Gilliam isn't put through the ringer again!
Gilliam's last film The Zero Theorem came and went quietly, »
- Chris Feil
After 17 years, Terry Gilliam’s “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” has finally turned the corner from cursed film project to completed movie, a historic and improbable milestone that has many people asking, “Is it really true?” One of the most troubled productions in the history of cinema, the project has been tormenting Gilliam for more than 25 years, since he first started tinkering with a screenplay adaptation in 1991.
Despite several false starts over the years, Gilliam never bought into the idea that the project was doomed. “The curse is bullshit,” he said during an interview with IndieWire at the Cannes Film Festival in 2016, a year that also marked the 400th anniversary of the death of “Don Quixote” writer Miguel de Cervantes.
- Graham Winfrey
It took nearly two decades, 17 years to be exact, but filmmaker Terry Gilliam has finally wrapped production on his passion project, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. The filmmaker took to social media to announce that filming is finished, while posting one final photo from the set before returning home. Here's what the filmmaker had to say on his Facebook page about the production wrap.
"Sorry for the long silence. I've been busy packing the truck and am now heading home. After 17 years, we have completed the shoot of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Muchas gracias to all the team and believers. Quixote Vive!"
Terry Gilliam made this statement on Facebook, while posting a photo of a truck on the set, and another of a "Happy Ending Rainbow over Los Suenos, Don Quixote's village of dreams." The director first started working on the film in 1989, and had originally »
Everybody knock on wood, or cross your fingers, or perform the superstitious good-luck ritual of your choice, because Terry Gilliam has defied whatever cosmic forces were blocking him from completing his multi-decade quest to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. The film has wrapped principal photography in Spain and Portugal, according to Variety. The film has been in the works since 1989, when Gilliam first conceived the project, and has gone through multiple lead actors and multiple failed attempts to shoot the movie, one of which is documented in 2002’s Lost In La Mancha. This time around, Adam Driver, Stellan Skarsgård, and Jonathan Pryce star, with a script by Gilliam and his Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas co-conspirator Tony Grisoni.
But Gilliam’s not out of the windmills yet: The film still has to go through post-production (it already has a distributor in Amazon Studios), and has ...
- Katie Rife
Way, way back in 1998, Brazil and Twelve Monkeys director Terry Gilliam embarked on making The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, a very Gilliam-esque take on Miguel de Cervantes’ 16th century novel Don Quixote. With the original novel concerning an insane Spanish nobleman thinking himself to be a knight bringing back chivalry and justice to the world, Gilliam’s vision saw Johnny Depp as a 21st century marketing executive thrown back in time, and being mistaken for Quixote’s sire, Sancho Panza. Production began in September of 2000, quickly becoming one of the most disastrous shoots of all time. As chronicled in the documentary Lost in La Mancha, weather problems, nervous investors, and even the Spanish military added to the movie’s production woes. The final nail in the coffin came when Dox Quixote himself, Jean Rochefort, was diagnosed with a double herniated disc after attempting to act while riding a horse, »
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Tom White)
Terry Gilliam has finally wrapped principal photography on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, 17 years after he initially started shooting it. The film has undergone many forms over that time with many actors attached to it, by the likes of Adam Driver, Jonathan Pryce, Stellan Skarsgard and Olga Kurylenko have finally shot their final scenes for the film, which now moves into post-production.
There is even an official behind the scenes image, released as the final frames rolled.
“Don Quixote is a dreamer, an idealist and a romantic, determined not to accept the limitations of reality, marching on regardless of setbacks, as we have done,” said Gilliam to The Hollywood Reporter. “We’ve been at it so long that the idea of actually finishing shooting this ‘clandestine’ film, is pretty surreal. Any sensible person would have given up years ago but sometimes pig-headed dreamers win in the end, so thank »
- Paul Heath
Try to imagine what you were doing 17 years ago. It was probably something along the lines of listening to a Smash Mouth song while “dying” for the hit sequel to The Mummy to come out. Well, that’s how long director Terry Gilliam has been making his movie, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, and as of this weekend he has finally completed his dream project. Begin the fiestas!... Read More »
- Matt Rooney
Director dismisses reports that shoot for Don Quixote movie caused damage to 12th-century Convento de Cristo in Tomar
The film-maker Terry Gilliam has denied allegations that a famous Portuguese convent was damaged during the shooting of his long-delayed take on Don Quixote, telling people to get their facts straight “before howling hysterically”.
A report by the Portuguese public broadcaster Rtp suggested recent filming for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote left behind chipped masonry, broken roof tiles and uprooted trees at the 12th-century Convent of Christ in Tomar, central Portugal.
Continue reading »
- Sam Jones in Madrid
The shoot for the Don Quixote-inspired feature took place in Spain and Portugal. Gilliam teamed with Tony Grisoni on the screenplay, reuniting the pair who worked together on “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” among other titles.
“The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” has been notoriously plagued by problems ranging from on-set disasters (including a flash flood) to production and funding issues. Speaking to Variety at last year’s Cannes Film Festival, Gilliam said: “I want to get this film out of my life so I can get on with the rest of my life.”
The former Monty Python member has been working on the project since 1989, persevering through setbacks so numerous that they inspired a documentary about the ill-starred project, 2002’s “Lost in La Mancha.”
“Don Quixote is a dreamer, »
- Stewart Clarke
5 June 2017 5:20 AM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »
Some 17 years after he first started pre-production, Terry Gilliam has finally wrapped principal photography on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, a project once so notoriously beleaguered and stuck in near-mythical "development hell" that a documentary was even made about it.
Starring Adam Driver, Jonathan Pryce, Stellan Skarsgard and Olga Kurylenko, the film — inspired by Miguel De Cervantes' literary classic Don Quixote — has been shooting on location across Spain and Portugal, and tells the story of a deluded old man, convinced he is the famed horse-riding hero and who mistakes an advertising executive for »
- Alex Ritman
Terry Gilliam is tilting at windmills no more. Last week, the director wrapped production on “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote,” a fantasy-adventure that the writer-director memorably had to scuttle mid-shoot back in 2000. The ironically quixotic project — which then starred Johnny Depp, Jean Rochefort and Vanessa Paradis — fell apart and became the subject of a 2002 documentary, “Lost in La Mancha.” That film chronicled how flooding in Navarre destroyed the sets, Rochefort fell ill and left the project mid-shoot, producers struggled to secure insurance and financing to keep the project afloat. But producers announced Monday that Gilliam had »
- Thom Geier
Author: Zehra Phelan
A tale of fantasy and adventure inspired by the legendary protagonist of Miguel De Cervantes’ literary classic Don Quixote, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote tells the story of a deluded old man who is convinced he is Don Quixote, and who mistakes Toby, an advertising executive, for his trusty squire, Sancho Panza. The pair embarks on a bizarre journey, jumping back and forth in time between the 21st and magical 17th century. Gradually, like the infamous knight himself, Toby becomes consumed by the illusory world and unable to determine his dreams from reality. The tale culminates in a phantasmagorical and emotional finale where Toby takes on the mantle of Don Quixote de la Mancha.
Writer/ director Terry Gilliam, who has been »
- Zehra Phelan
After 17 years of pre-production, principal photography has finally wrapped on Terry Gilliam’s embattled The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Gilliam has been working on the project since 1989 and originally began shooting the film back in 2000 when Johnny Depp was involved. That ill-fated go was memorably captured in the feature documentary Lost In La Mancha, which cataloged the series of catastrophes that hit the production, including leading man Jean Rochefort having a… »
1-20 of 45 items from 2017 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners