IMDb > Wrecked (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Wrecked

Wrecked More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Small film, simple story, but entertaining.

Author: Degree7 from Pittsburgh, PA
7 May 2011

Wrecked is an interesting little low budget film that has a fairly promising premise that should attract the viewers (because the poster certainly won't).

A man wakes up in a car wreck in the woods with no idea of who he is or why he got there, with his only company being that of the dead body in the seat next to him. It soon becomes apparent that help is not coming and he has to get out of the car. But once he's free, his troubles have only just begun, as he finds out that he is not alone in the woods.

There is a lot to like about this little film. Adrien Brody does a great job of displaying how painful and lonely it would be if one was trapped in this particular situation, and of course the film rests on his acting and the great imagery and camera work. The film never becomes too slow, and there is always a new little plot point or clue that leads the viewer on.

Of course one should not go into this film expecting a sordid tale of survival and battles with mountain lions. Instead, what we have is a psychological exploration, where the woods serve as the back drop for all of the character's guilts and desires, and soon we are doubting what is real and what isn't. Think of J.G. Ballard's "Concrete Island" or Stephen King's "Gerald's Game".

While it is ultimately weak with a so-so story, "Wrecked" is worth watching at least once just to enjoy the work of Brody and the fluid flow of the film.

It takes effort not to get bored watching this

Author: Dainius8888 (Dainius8888@gmail.com) from Lithuania
16 July 2011

Right. First of all I need to express my disappointment. I was really looking forward to seeing this movie for quite some time now. Ever since I saw the trailer, from which it looked really attractive. It looked like it was going to be an interesting, psychedelic story, with twists and tension. ESPECIALLY due to the fact that ADRIEN BRODY is there! Because after seeing ''The Jacket'', in which Adrien Brody also starred, I was left stunned. So you can imagine the gripping excitement that came to me about half a year ago before the release of ''Wrecked'' when I found out that a movie like this would come out! But everyone, who has high hopes for this film because of the same, or at least a similar reason, can give up right now. This movie will definitely NOT satisfy, let alone EXCEEED, your expectations, because...well...It is boring. Simple as that. The plot itself is really plain. So plain, that it would actually be difficult to spoil anything, since there is almost nothing to spoil. The trailer alone can give out practically everything. And the film is really TOO LONG. And that makes this dull plot even MORE painfully tiresome. If they would have reduced the whole movie to about 30 minutes, I am sure it would have turned out to an interesting short, but now, harshly speaking, it looks like a bad version of ''127 hours''. This movie practically tells nothing new or interesting to the audience. But there is one reason to not completely condemn this title. Adrien Brody. Even thought, the story is disappointing, I cannot complain in any way about the amazing performance by Adrien Brody. Flawless acting. But that's it. Nothing more essentially positive that I can think of that was good in this movie... The make-up on Adrien Brody maybe?... If you have a significantly huge amount of unbendable patience within you, you may actually get lucky and think it was an OK movie. Otherwise, which is a lot more likely, you WILL not be impressed. At all.

Almost Great

Author: nytexas from United States
3 May 2011

This movie could have been excellent (or at least rated above 5 / 10 stars) with one or two less loooong drawn out scenes of the main character crawling up (or down or over or through) the woods, stopping and looking out into the wild. Seriously, I wanted to shoot myself from about minutes 45 to 75. I suppose the screenwriter had no choice but to pad the movie since it was already going to be relatively short (hmmm, maybe it could be a Short instead?).

You would think that after 5 years of writing there would be much more than crawling and panning forest shots. Oh well.

Give me the first and last 30 minutes of the movie and I would be very happy with the outcome.

Could Have Been a Great Short

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 July 2011

A man (Adrien Brody) awakes amnesic in a wrecked car in the woods with his leg trapped in the front panel. Sooner he finds that he is in a inhospitable area with wild animals surrounding him and that there is a dead man on the back seat and another one on the land. When he listens to the news on the radio, he learns that three armed and dangerous men had heisted a bank and killed the security guard. The man finally releases his leg from the panel and finds the stolen money in the trunk; then he concludes he is the third thief. He unsuccessfully tries to find a way out of the jungle while he has flashes of recollections of his past.

"Wrecked" is a low-budget one-actor film that could have been a great short. The performance of Adrien Brody is awesome but the running time is too long for a plot that is actually a storyline where nothing happens. The director dawdles the viewer with repetitive and confused scenes and in the end I was bored and anxious to see the conclusion. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Armadilha do Destino" ("Trap of the Destiny")

Fasten your seat belt…

Author: Léopold M. from France
29 July 2011

…For you never know what is going to happen. I haven't heard anything about this movie and went to IMDb to check out the reviews about it prior to watching it.

Considering them exceedingly bad, I decided to check it out anyway, to make my own mind. Well, I have a few things to say.

It is a slow movie. I understand some viewers might find it annoying.

BUT

If you read the Trivias about this flick, you will learn it has been written without knowing where it was going.

Without being aware of that I too found this movie exceedingly boring, because it lacks proper timing for twists or actions in a way. Knowing that, and if you're not afraid of independent (even experimental) movies, you can go on and you might enjoy it.

If you are a fan of Adrien Brody, you should probably watch this movie as well, because he really fits well in the part of a man knowing as much as the viewer do as the movie begins, sadly he has to fight until the end, and so does the viewer who thought he was in for a special thriller and survival movie like Cast Away and/or 127 hours.

You have to be aware that even though it's quite close to those films due to the subject, you cannot compare at all, for this is, I repeat, a whole experience considering the non- conventional way of writing.

All that to say, if you're looking for some strong thrills watching a man struggling for his own survival, you should probably stick to Cast Away & 127 hours.

On the other hand, if you're willing to witness another type of setting for a man trying to figure out what he is doing here and why, a low budget movie exploring the nothingness as the new standard for making a story, then Wrecked is a movie to watch.

Thanks to Adrien Brody's performance, and the nature of the experimental writing process revealed, this movie deserves a 6 out of 10.

A very very slow moving drama about a man waking up in a mangled car and trying to figure out why. Brody is good though. I say C

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
18 August 2011

"Who's Raymond Plazey?" After waking up in a mangled car in the bottom of a ravine with a broken leg the man (Brody) has no idea how he got there. Doing everything he can he tries to escape the car and find help. This movie, much like "Buried" and "Castaway" involves pretty much one character the entire time. Very little dialog and prolonged scenes of trying to open a door make this a hard film to get through. I'm not saying this is a bad movie, but it is very, very slow moving. The acting by Brody is very good and it's worth watching to see him. Much like the movie "Memento" the lead character is going about his life trying to figure out who he is and how he got there. Unlilke "Memento" there is really not much that sucks you in and makes you want to keep watching. I got through it, but it was a struggle. Overall, a very slow moving one character movie that is watchable, and only because Brody does a good job. I give it a C.

Would I watch again? - Nope

*Also try - Bruied & Memento

Wrecked Explores Where 127 Hours Cannot

Author: polyesterfastfilm from United States
1 September 2011

127 Hours [2010] and Wrecked [2011] contain similar plots and big name actors (James Franco and Adrien Brody). They are set in a minimal location with a suffocating feel. One is based on a true story; the other is fiction. During the long middle stretch of movie, 127 Hours substitutes emotional highs and lows in the score instead of conflict/action, which Wrecked does a much better job at. A raw comparison of the plots gives 127 Hours a harsh reality, while Wrecked puts us inside Brody's mind of amnesia and hallucination. They end the same, but with a little help from Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Ros, 127 Hours manages to finish on a higher note. One was nominated for best picture, and one gets a shoddy rating on IMDb.

I do not believe the term, "Based on a true story," can cover up moments of less perfection. True stories are not commercial box office hits. That's how "based on a true story" came to be, to fantasize and fictionalize the true story into film mythology. The writer's job is to make a story's conflict much like a concert. If a story contains all truth and is boring, there should be rewrites until we are moved, with bits of conflict that can sensationalize the boring truth.

For this reason, where 127 Hours lags, Wrecked excels, and where 127 Hours must stick to a certain blue print, Wrecked can explore the mind of the protagonist in great depth. Plan on seeing an underrated, captivating, Adrien Brody indie in 2011.

Lost

Author: Paul Celano (chelano) from Howell, MI USA
29 September 2011

This is a very uncomfortable film. Now I don't mean it is bad. I mean this is the type of film you can feel and you start to feel what the main character is going through. The whole movie is based around one main character played by Adrien Brody. He did an excellent job. The movie starts with him waking up in a car that had fallen off a small cliff. He is alive, but the people around him are dead. Through the whole film you are trying to piece together what happened. By the end you figure it out, but there are some things they leave untouched on purpose. Let the viewers mind come up with its own conclusions. This movie takes on a different type of scary. Like a real life scary. I remember a few scenes that when they happened, I couldn't help but shake my head and think much that would really suck in real life. The writers of the film made a good story and the director did a good job with little budget they probably had. This was a very nice suspenseful film.

beyond repair...

Author: witster18 from United States
21 September 2011

This is NOT a good movie. It's not Brody's fault though. The film is similar to 'Buried' and '127 Hours', and it is not as good as either one.

Why? ...because of an array of horror-movie-esque poor decisions.

That and the fact that the hallucinations make it very difficult to decipher what is real and what is not. What was meant as something to add to the plot - ends up as something that muddles the plot.

Our lead character climbs down a hill and gets in the river... floats down river for a good while... swims to shore and comes up in the same place he started... uh... there's something very wrong about that. Then again, maybe it never happened.

Confusion. No closure. We care nothing for this character. ZERO character development here. They could have made this better by extending the set-up.

Let's give 'Buried' the award for this genre over the last 2 years, and hope that the genre has met its' quota for a while. I don't think that its' Adrian Brody's fault, but the lack of dialog here hurts the film. It's amazing that we can know three times as much about a Ryan Reynolds character who is trapped in a wood casket in 'Buried'. But in the end, the 'stupid' decision making here really puts the icing on the crap-cake.

I'd pass on this one.

Great performance, a little slow.

Author: iddqd87 from United States
3 September 2011

First off, I didn't know much about this besides the synopsis and I finally saw a copy in Wal-Mart the other day. I decided to check it out and I am glad I did.

Its not great, but this movie has a limited audience... but for the indie film or drama / thriller people I think its an interesting experience. I like finding movies like this that I think about later, and since basically it was all one actor by himself I have to give this movie major props.

I think Brody did a fantastic job, but I feel frustrated by the characters decisions... although he was not a survivalist by any means, so it worked. I kept watching to see what was really happening and where it was going. I feel the ending was satisfying and was not a lame "twist", yet a huge relief... so all in all, I think its worth a watch.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]