IMDb > A Single Man (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Single Man

A Single Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 24: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Colin Firth does it again

Author: huguespt from Australia
21 November 2015

I a giving this only a 6 but right up until the end it was a solid 9 to 10, the writer/screen play has deliberately left us all with no end to this great movie. Colin Firth's capabilities as an actor are proved yet again, amazing, along with other cast like "Goode" although realistically this is a one man movie where the plot and script revolve around "The Single Man's" past and present life, his encounters and his summing up of what is past and how to carry on in the future, that is not to say the supporting cats all are convincing in their roles but the movie revolves around the one main character. I would not recommend watching this movie if recently split up or depressed as whoever wrote/screen play did their research very, very well and brought up emotions in me long suppressed, the realty of this movie is heart and soul wrenching for those who know.

Great Movie but the ending left me wanting, can't tell you why because it would give it away, worth watching. Again Colin Firth to show such realism in this type of role is testament to his great acting ability, bravo.

Extremely Aware of Style

Author: Harry Waterman from United Kingdom
26 April 2015

A Single Man feels more like the prelude to a fashion show than an actual motion-picture, and whilst the film and plot are impeccably solid, it suffers from a certain aura of "style over substance" and not enough depth as it could've had. The debut film of fashion ingénue Tom Ford, A Single Man is both heart-achingly melancholy and richly probing into the life of a lonely homosexual widower in the sixties. Colin Firth is brilliant and brave in the role, whilst Julianne Moore and Nicholas Hoult offer beneficial support, however both are slightly over-shadowed by the pace and performance of Firth. Seemingly inspired by the work of Lars Von Trier, A Single Man is really quite beautiful but not one of the best films I have ever seen.

intriguing and beautiful

Author: paul_3-960-896774
15 January 2015

This film is odd but not really in a bad way. i mean that it is good enough that you don't need to ramble on and on to explain it. I knew of the director Tom Ford but I didn't make the connection between the Tom Ford I knew of and the one that directed the movie. Once the connection was made some of the things about how the movie was made started to make sense.

Anyway, A Single Man was incredible. Beautiful photography, every shots were magnificent. I liked how George Falconer's mood was palpable with Colin Firth's micro-expressions and the slight shift of colors in the frames. The colors went from dull to luminous very subtly. Falconer's intentions are clear but I enjoyed how it fluctuated. It made for a more realistic tone and context. It seemed like the world was trying to help him and I loved that.

Author: B24 from Arizona
23 December 2014

Actually the novel is rather good. And the film does not depart all that much from it, just enough to create questions. Why, for example, is the character of the student in the film version made so damnably androgynous? That is certainly not Isherwood's doing. The cashmere sweater is as gratuitous an instance of miscasting as is its feminine counterpart in the boy/man/girl wearing it (few college dudes of the time wore cashmere sweaters). On a similar note, Julianne Moore playing the role of the British girlfriend is as odd as picking British actors to play the American parts. Her character in the novel is much more edgy and unpleasant than Moore's portrayal allows.

On a positive note, I liked the smoggy exteriors, because that's exactly what the L.A. Basin looked like in 1962. The mountains were nowhere to be seen except on rare rainy days. There were also at that time beaches where a nighttime swim in the buff was possible, like directly in back of my house on Balboa Blvd. in O.C. If only the film had made Kenny a more masculine American type like the guys who went to USC and surfed on weekends, the essential contrast between George and him would have made their coming together (the main thrust of the story, after all) a true climax, irrespective of the lame ending this strange adaptation tacks on.

A period piece, and a mood

Author: plamya-1 from United States
30 November 2014

I was ten years old in 1962 and, scion of an academic family, recall overhearing snatches of adult conversation in muffled tones about homosexuality ("acey-ducey"), Christopher Isherwood, Castro, Soviet spies, building bomb shelters, Aldous Huxley. The dreamlike sequences into which such references intrude in Tom Ford's film- the decors, fashions, hairdos, evoke a host of hazy memories Without explanations, I feel a connection with the adult world I observed then, the repressive roles that enveloped this generation. Colin Firth carries in his entire being the weight of his age, having lost the one person who allowed him to break into an authentic self. Julianna Moore captures the pre-liberated frustrations of a women playing unsuccessfully at the "feminine mystique.".

Besides the acting, the fact that this film is the first effort of a fashion designer is the major source of the film's appeal. It is visually "dressed" in terms of settings, costumes, conversations, visual effects. There may be no lingering "meaning" to attach to its memory, but it provides a fully satisfying visual experience.

Colin Firth stars in a remarkable love story revolving around coping with loss.

Author: Dominic LeRose from United States
19 August 2014

To deal with loss means to deal with sorrow. There's never been a more artsy and stylish transportation through the feelings of a saddened man than in Tom Ford's "A Single Man." This film transports into a world of melancholy poetry that has the capability of making you grief for the lead and see a love story both before and after a man's heart was broken. Colin Firth does a terrific job of acting here as George, a lonely English professor in 1960's Los Angeles who is suffering emotionally after the death of his partner from a car accident. George has had enough and before contemplating suicide he visits certain people that show how his life still has sociability even though he is in misery. Some people include his English female friend named Charley (Julianne Moore), a student who may want more than just education and a Hispanic immigrant. Colin Firth really does a strong job holding us into his performance and not boring us or having us loose interest with his struggles. We spend every scene with his character and what's nice is that he makes very scene intriguing to watch due to his characters crisis. Many singled this film out as an actors film and do not recognize the beauty and rich potential to inspire broken-hearted people everywhere. This film may seem completely depressing, but what audiences can find interesting is that George has a great life besides his lovers death. He interacts with everyone he meets in a benevolent and easy- going way allowing him to connect with others handsomely and has wealth to provide for himself greatly. Tom Ford shows us how in life you have to just let things go by making the best of the options and opportunities life has to offer. Spending time in misery and wanting to die doesn't solve anything. Tom Ford directs this film in a very artistic way and makes it clear he has a gifted eye for manipulating the camera to capture the feeling of George by which way the cinematographers and editors film each shot. George is isolated in many scenes (single man) which doesn't call for much dialogue, but we still are able to see his feelings through Ford's directing and Firth's powerful acting. Ford also does a really good job of making us feel sorry for George and help us visualize what it would be like to step in his shoes, causing "A Single Man" to be very moving. The end of this film is a connection between sadness and hope. It is a symbolic twist that is both resolving and depressing. "A Single Man" shows the lifestyle of a man trapped in depression and loneliness due to the absence of his lover. Ford shows that without love it is extremely hard to enjoy life, but however in order to break away from solitary we need to keep pushing and find another way to store the bonds of love.

So gloomy, so depressing

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
26 July 2014

This movie is n one side a good piece of art work. One that is able to convey the feelings f the focus character through all channels it can use, The image coloration, story flow, and most importantly through the acting, especially those by Firth and Moore. The story itself is not that sad, it's just another commonly found relationship story for me. And the development is also not very special. But the sad aura this movie convey is just great that it keeps me quite depressed throughout the entire movie. Nicholas Hoult's performance gives another good addition to all the other aspects of this movie. From me, I think this movie is a nice job but not quite a good entertainment.

Artistic Film turns out pretty good

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
16 July 2014

A Single Man is a drama about love, death and also how to deal with these things in your day to day life. The message it shows can be powerful at times in this movie(not always) but still has the heart that a film like this needs to reaffirm "life is worth living". With some great acting seen mainly from it's lead man and an artistic look that we don't always see so much, A Single Man turns out to be solidly pretty good, and here below is why I felt that about it all.

The story is slow and for such a short running time really has to cram everything in, although any longer and I think most would be sick of it. It has a deep core of emotion and you really get this when it is just the main character reflecting on certain events, it can really strike a cord with you and lets you delve into his mind. It also I think likes to deal with the fact that homosexuality was very frowned upon in that era and so the film really smacks the point down that, people then were gay but looked down on also in society.

Colin Firth is very good in this and no doubt why he received an Oscar Nomination, his portrayal is as said emotional yet when he seems most out of it, he deals with getting back to his life well, and Firth fits the mould well. I wasn't too keen in Julianne Moore here, she isn't bad whatsoever but she just seemed to over dramatic and the character maybe is to blame, but her talents are wasted on such an annoying woman. Nicholas Hoult finally brings a bit of new acting styles to the film, but never up stages Firth at any point, Colin controls this all the way through.

Tom Ford the director injects an artistic vision in to this which can at times pay off, but also not do that well, it can very annoying to see the shades of colour used and the sets can seem as if they are too glossy maybe. Hand it to Ford on the writing, he amongst others do well in the script department and even simple actions are done in a way you just know is straight from the page. Although the sets aren't the best, they are unique I will say and some parts look amazing here.

My main criticism is mostly in the sense that the story can be dull at times, very very slow and although Firth never suffers from this, he certainly doesn't gain from the speed. As I also alluded to with the artistic part, the colours and shades used when people are happy and sad make for a very annoying and over used effect which yes, work for the first few times but by the end, it is just too bright in most senses.

Who will like it, well if you want a Drama that deals with life and death then this could be a good one to watch, if you are slightly down in life yourself, this isn't for you as parts can be, well very depressing. It has the odd bit of comedy thrown in, not massive laughs but the odd smile and chuckle and so it can brighten up your day so there's a point for anyone who wants a Drama with both good and bad.

Overall it is Solidly Kind of Good, not quite Good mostly resulting from the more dull parts of the movie. It is far from bad though and in truth, if you want to be an actor, look no further than seeing Colin Firth so in this, truly one of the role models in the modern acting world. One more thing, For anyone who likes the 60's, this could be a great trip back, the sets and settings are truly 60's style and if anything Tom Ford over does the style used throughout the movie.

I love this film!

Author: bbyleaves n from United Kingdom
15 July 2014

It may not be the most happiest of films but I really enjoyed it. It's a unique story that I can really relate to and empathize with the main character.This film made me sad and i did cry like twice because that the emotions of the actors were acted and captured so well, it really hit a nerve in me. I have never liked Colin Firth as an actor but after this one, I'm starting to view him in a different light. Maybe its because he was able to take on such a courageous role as a gay man in the 1960s which i doubt many other actors would be eager to take on. Also I absolutely love Matthew Goode! I can watch this film repeatedly without ever getting bored and i can't wait to wait The Railway Man!

Never has a film come into my life at the perfect time.

Author: ReelLover from United States
15 July 2014

After twelve years of being together, I lost my partner in the fall of 2007. I later watched A SINGLE MAN on DVD when it was released and found it incredibly difficult to sit through, yet amazingly truthful. Trying to be objective about this film is about as tough as being caught in the desert and finding a glass of ice water, but in retrospect, the gorgeous performances by Firth and Moore, the intricate photography and the intensely exquisite score by Abel Korzeniowski, A SINGLE MAN is a breathtaking and accurate account of the loss of love from the perspective of a gay man. His explorations into potential heterosexuality stemming from the combined pain of loss and his orientation, the guilt he had from missed opportunities to show love, and the eventual "surrender" at the end left me completely drained. After finding a new life and a new love who I'm proud to have married in March of this year, I think I could watch this film again with a bit less of an emotional connection and be a bit more critical, but the images are still there in my mind, so I wonder if finding them again after some much needed closure might make me love this film even more? I think so.