IMDb > Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Did You Hear About the Morgans?
Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Nothing more than a marketing ploy...

Author: burnproof from london
10 December 2009

I attended the London movie premiere for this on Tuesday and there is always one BIG PROBLEM about premieres... if the movie is bad you can't leave. I realised very early on in this movie that I had a BIG PROBLEM.

Getting through this movie and hearing other people chuckle politely at the jokes just so as not to offend SJP and HG made the atmosphere unbearable. The storyline was terrible, the dialogue was predictable and the characters were as if plucked straight from other movies: HG was Charles from 'Four Weddings', Sam Elliot was Virgil from 'Tombstone', Mary Steenburgen was Clara from 'Back to the Future 3' and SJP was Paula from 'Failure to Launch'... and you spend the entire movie thinking about how much better all of those other movies were!

When this ended, I thought to myself "Why has this been made at all?" and then it dawned upon me... MARKETING PLOY. SJP has SATC 2 coming out next year and needs to get back into the public eye just before that and HG needs to help his Ex (Liz) raise awareness for her charity. This movie will get them some column inches in magazine and some exposure on the Internet. It makes perfect sense now...

PRO: I smiled at the last joke in the movie. CON: I only smiled at the last joke in the movie

A sad, sad day for Hugh Gran'ts army

Author: pertinaciousbreath from America
22 December 2009

Ever sat through a movie wondering to yourself "how does crap like this get made?" Well, Did You Hear About the Morgans makes those movies look good. The first word that came to mind when my daughter asked what I thought was "excruciating". I can NOT believe the same person wrote Two Weeks Notice and Music and Lyrics. Did he lose a bet?

And Hugh Grant...what to say? He acted like a man being held at ransom, trying to convey a desperate plea for help. I expected to see a "Help me" sign taped to his back every time he turned around. His performance was forced and there was literally no chemistry whatsoever between him and Sarah Jessica Parker. The plot, the dialog, the story arc...literally everything in the movie was a poorly executed cliché. The witness protection plan? Seriously? This is 2009 and not 1986, right?

As a die hard Hugh Grant fan, my only hope is he made this movie to please some big studio boss in order to get his own screenplay (about his war hero grandfather) made. If so, it had better be good...it's going to take nothing short of another Saving Private Ryan to save Grant's reputation after this stinker of a movie.

Another Predictable Romantic Comedy

Author: Unlimitedmovies from New Orleans, Louisiana
18 December 2009

My husband and I just got back from seeing "Did You Hear About The Morgans" and it was a cute movie but very predictable. Hugh Grant's acting is almost painful to watch. I had read somewhere that he actually doesn't like acting and it appears that way in this film. Sarah Jessica Parker acts the same way she does in Sex And The City. She isn't much for characterization. Sam Elliott and Mary Steenberger have smaller parts but they are the best thing about this movie. Both are superb actors and don't "overact" or "overdramatize" their parts. Overall it is a cute date movie and it's worth seeing but I can't give it more than four stars. It is just another cookie cutter type romantic comedy that Hollywood is cranking out these days. You can actually predict some of the dialogue.

Not Groundbreaking, But Entertaining Enough

Author: wolflady26
17 January 2010

If you're expecting an original groundbreaking comedy, you're probably going to be disappointed by this film. But if you're looking for a bit of sweet entertainment, it will fit the bill.

The acting was pretty decent, and there were quite a few chuckles throughout the movie. If you're looking for much more than that, you'll probably want to pick another movie. The biggest disadvantage was that the plot was absolutely predictable.

However, I was impressed with the way it showed a couple trying to work through a very serious problem in their relationship. The romance part was fairly believable.

It's not a movie that I'm dying to see again or rushing to go out and buy, but it was an enjoyable way to spend some time. I went to see it with family, and we all more or less enjoyed it.

Much ado about the Morgans

Author: Pedro Carreira from Portugal
4 February 2010

I've read so many critics trashing down this movie that I felt the need to come on its defense. I've seen it just a hour ago and for me it gave me what I was hoping to receive: after a tiring working day, traveling around in the rain, and not having time to lunch, I've stopped for dinner and between the Morgans and Mandela (Invictus) I went and bought a ticket for that romantic comedy. I don't understand how people can be so demanding about the genre. Everybody knows how a romantic comedy ends. It's not the story that matters and although I find Grant and Parker an unlikely match, they made me laugh and that was what I needed. "It's so quiet here I can hear my cells dividing". For that and a little bit more it was a pleasant experience, not so happy as Disneyland, though.

Worst movie of the year

Author: eric1 from Montreal, Canada
23 December 2009

The trailer editor of the movie is amazing, he fouled me into thinking this is an unoriginal but funny holiday comedy. Actually, the movie is not funny at all, I've never smiled once during the whole séance.The pace was too slow, it can be easily cut off 30 minutes. All the gigs are old and not funny. The two about bear and horse are OK, but even those two are not funny in the movie with bad begin or end lines. The movie is so bad that during the last hour I actually wanted the killer won and kill both of the Morgans. PS Don't get me wrong, I was not dragged into theater by a woman, I'm a shallow movie goer and always a fun of Hugh Grant comedies(I felt Two Weeks Notice was very funny), I volunteered to go alone.

Not that bad. A good laugh.

Author: Hugo Ferreira from Portugal
13 January 2010

Don't be fooled by most of the reviews here. I can't explain them, but it may have something to do with the fact that some of the jokes in the movie are not immediately perceptible to those who haven't worked/lived in a big city.

I just watched this last night and had a blast! It's not for the quality of the movie itself. In fact, some of the acting is quite bad. But one of the points in going to the movies is to have fun. Movies entertain you. And this one did an exceptional job in that matter!

As a comedy, it is one of the best I've seen in the last couple of years or so. It's a good laugh that is worth a watch.

I thought it was funny!

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
9 March 2010

This film is about a separated couple who has to move to a small town in the countryside, after witnessing a murder.

I thought "Did You Hear About the Morgans" was funny! Yes the plot follows the same formula as of all romantic comedies, but it is enjoyable and fun. There are some laugh out loud moments, such as the angiography joke or the fourteen political followers joke. I think does present the life of a small town in an entertaining and humorous way. I particularly like Mary Steenburgen's character, when she talked about reconciling with her husband because of lots of cows, she looked so genuinely reminiscent the amazing feeling. This backdrop of a small town provides the catalyst for a change in the Morgans' relationship status. Sometimes, a change is what is needed for things to go well!

Utter disappointment

Author: milagro1975 from Moscow, Russia
31 August 2010

My dear old friend sent the CD to me, sick and lonely flue patient, as she knows I used to fancy Grant. I was not prepared for this. The plot is so generic one can predict every other scene or line. Jokes are second-hand, too. In fact, everything in this film is second hand.

I had no hopes for SJP as an actress after SATC movies' disaster except discovering how much scarier the woman can get in a relatively short time, but Hugh just killed me with his wooden awkward performance. I think he or rather his agents must realize he's past those adorable insecure English guys and irresistible cads. You're not there anymore, mate! It is absolutely obvious he can act other parts, like I loved American Dreamz (though not only for him). Actually he'd be amazing in a role that brings out the slightly sinister side you can smell just looking at him. Time to stop charming and start acting.

A pleasant time

Author: rosalindteam
5 February 2010

OK, so it's not some great wonder-movie which will get a zillion Oscars - but hey, it was a pleasant movie to watch.

I liked that it was gentle and friendly, and suitable to enjoy with my 10 year old son. There are so many movies today where I feel like that I've spent some time with very rough individuals with low standards - and I should look for a better class of friend. So it was a great relief to simply have an enjoyable afternoon

I loved the warmth & down-to-earth-ness of the locals, and the city slickers seemed to appreciate that too.

Not the most amazing movie of the decade - but a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]