IMDb > "Moj rodjak sa sela" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Moj rodjak sa sela" More at IMDbPro »

I just loved it

Author: slavko-9 from Canada
21 February 2009

Having all the episodes taped for me by my friend, I could not resist not to sit down and watch it in just one single day. Though it describes life in the village in central Serbia (BTW with breathless sceneries hard to find anywhere else in the world) storyline is very contemporary. If you have a chance it's a must to see. Vojin Cetkovic is again nailing his role of patriotic army officer. I guess this is the main reason why the other comment is extremely negative, but believe me it's baseless. This series is another proof that Serbian cinematography is the best in that part of the world. Beside this one, "Ranjeni Orao" and "Vratice se rode" are another MUST SEE series.

Brilliant script and Tanasije Uzunovic at his best

Author: vveljko-756-664763 from Serbia
20 December 2011

This is one of the best series that has appeared in Serbia during the past two decades. However, it has been so underestimated, misunderstood and surrounded by false perceptions of new generations alienated from their own origins. First of all, this script has nothing in common with another Serbian series dealing with living in a country that was being broadcast at the same time. The amount of money that was invested in "My cousin from the country" cannot compare with the latter series.Secondly, the image of a villager is quite different. They are not pictured as confused and unadapted persons, but clever and wise people, full of spirit, who fight to survive in harsh times. The dialogs are so deep and meaningful that i enjoyed in every word of that brilliant script. It is not an archaic story, it is story of ourselves how we used to be, a story of dying breed of people that founded this country and built it up. I was simply blown away by the marvelous performance of Tanasije Uzunovic.He plays his role as he was born in that village and live there for all of his life. Full of wisdom that only life experience can provide, he is a true head of the family, sometimes ironic in his wisdom, but with so much love and care for all his family and their happiness. Nebojsa Glogovac in the role of a local priest was also at his best. One of the deepest and the most emotional scenes in the series is the part when he fulfills the last wish of an old lady to sing her the song on youth at her dying bed. I want to believe that one day people would understand the messages from this series better.

An insight into the peculiarities of village life

Author: nedtesic from Sydney
23 October 2010

It is amusing to me that others have found this story dull or boring, as I think the pace and tone of the acting really helps put the viewer directly into the daily grind of living in a Serbian Village.

Being a Sebian ex-pat it is humbling to see how many of the customs and traditions translate to many of the ex-pats I socialize with.

The pace of the story is very restrained, so if you are after a rapid fire storyline this is not the series for you- the drama builds slowly, but this really helped develop the drama for me.

The portrayals of the family relationships are quite confronting and honest and contrast nicely with the interplay between city and country people in the series.

Spoiler alert.. The bonus value from this series comes through the military sub-plot that allows you to barrack for the underdog whilst leaving you hanging for a resolution to some curly questions. I think this sub-plot is strong enough to carry it's own series, I hope it does.

All in all, I enjoyed this film for it's candid take on village life and it's honest approach to the relationships of the main characters

Oh God, make it stop!

Author: Crveni Krst from Serbia
7 January 2010

This series depicts the state of Serbian Television today. Dull, uninventive, apathetic and populist.

No really, if you are a middle aged masochist with suicidal tendencies, this is the right thing for you.

The whole story is based on the wave of village-life inspired programs, pushed in Serbian media these days. I really don't mind provincial life and village people, but the amount of boringness in "Moj Rodjak sa Sela" is just too hard to bare. Long, boring monotone dialogs about transience of life and love, repeating and repeating in cycles, bad jokes, flat angles, actors behaving like being on LSD and no point or story whatsoever. They say this was watched in the millions... I just don't see how.

Bad acting, bad story, bad everything!

Author: marija-25 from Serbia
21 December 2008

After watching only one episode of this TV show, you cannot but wonder what happened to our young actors recently. This TV show is one of many examples how to make a cheap show, and to satisfy many viewers.

There are at least three reasons why you would want to pass this TV show: 1st very bad acting; 2nd very bad story - a lot of pointless dialogs and a lot of repeated sentences, like in every soap. 3rd The speech of the actors. The story happens in the central Serbia, where people speak much different than in the capitol of Serbia - Belgrade. Actors didn't even try to copy some parts of this colloquial speech. They simply decided to speak the same way they do to their friends in a coffee shop in Belgrade where they studied acting, no matter most of their characters are Serbian peasants. There are also a lot of scenes with the cheap wits and what I mind even more is that after another TV show "Selo gori a baba se ceslja' became popular, the national TV decided to make one more show about the Serbian country people, hoping that most of family people are going to watch it. The sad fact is that they probably made it.

As I said, after watching only one episode you cannot but wish to see Mira Banjac or Danilo Bata Stojkovic,or some other marvelous Serbian actors who were so natural while they were acting. Anyway, if you don't mind all of these mentioned, then this is the show for you. I hope you will enjoy it.