IMDb > A.C.O.D. (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A.C.O.D.

A.C.O.D. More at IMDbPro »

Go see it and have a good laugh

Author: Jimmy P from USA
20 October 2013

I went into this film with an open mind. The film trailers played months ago, and they got a lot of theatre laughs, but then this film was slowly put out to the theatres and i saw low rating numbers on this site and i wasn't in a rush to see this film. I enjoyed the film as both a comedy and a drama.

The center of the film is on Carter, the older Brother's response to reuniting his parents for the sake of his brother. This in turn brings back bad memories of a dysfunctional family, divorce, and a disrupted family nucleus. Not only is Carter forced to sift through his buried family core issues, but the whole family is brought into the abyss.

I'm not sure what IMDb people were expecting, they usually get it right, but not on this one. I heard lots of audience laughs and sighs. There is a lot of wit and sarcasm instead of Hollywood cheap laughs. Adam Scott felt like a younger Kevin Spacey, I felt he did a great job of pulling off the role. This is certainly not a perfect film, but it is intelligent and fun.

Clever, Smart Comedy

Author: hubin-1 from United States
25 January 2013

A.C.O.D. is such a terrific film that it's difficult to believe that it's Zicherman's directorial debut. The screenplay, by Karlin and Zicherman, is remarkably clever and witty--combining humor with poignant insight to a very satisfying effect. Zicherman gets the pacing exactly right, showing faith in the intelligence of his audience by never belaboring a point. The characters are engaging and the acting is very great. If your an adult child of divorce or a divorced parent who worries about your children, you're likely to recognize something in this film. (When Carter goes through his parents' divorce papers, try to catch some of the petty, ridiculous allegations each makes.) In this film, you see revealed some painful truths about human nature and complex family relationships--always with humor and compassion. This is one of the best comedies I've seen.

A few funny moments, but too clearly a personal catharsis

Author: jimojimo from Chicago
8 February 2014

As I started watching this movie, it became very obvious that this was a very personal, cathartic movie. I have no problem with that, it's done all the time--but what's important, interesting, funny, and meaningful to the writer/director, doesn't always translate into something meaningful to the viewer unless there is far more skill in the storytelling. And that is what I think this movie lacked.

The plot simply covers the story of a a kid named Carter (and his younger brother Trey) who's father was a philanderer as a husband, as well as fairly cold and distant as a father. The father and mother haven't spoken for 20 years and the father has gone through several other step moms over those years.

I'm sure the "seminal" moment of Carter's 9th birthday was a huge deal to writer, but it was thrust at us so quickly at the beginning of the movie that we didn't have time for any background/setup to even know or care what was going on. To me, that scene which was apparently so pivotal ended up a throwaway scene because the writer seemed so eager to tell it that he told it too soon without any context whatsoever.

So we fast forward to Carter's now-successful (at least career-wise) life. There are a lot of funny moments here, but nothing we couldn't see in a half-hour sitcom. But the road the movie takes us down is a bit meandering and it seems very clear that we're going to have some sort of too-neatly wrapped up happy ending designed to close every loose end with a perfect situation and end all the pain of all the children who've gone through this situation.

To me, it just smacked too much of someone dumping his messed-up life on us and his wish of what could have been. It didn't make for an entertaining movie. Maybe a half-hour episode of Trophy Wife or something would have been a better venue for this story. Jimo

Carter thinks he's past it all ....

Author: zif ofoz from United States
13 February 2014

.... but Carter learns he misperceived something important! What a fun movie to watch! Everybody plays their part well.

Poor Carter is caught in the middle of everybody's problems and needs. Then he discovers his past isn't quite what he thought it was! He has to pull all the family together for a wedding and maybe along the way he fixed a lot of lives.

This is a feel good flick and it's done very well - no problems for me! You might not laugh out loud but I'm sure anyone will smile throughout this story!

Watch it! You'll like it!

A lesson in how to bury a movie by calling it something weird.

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
10 May 2015

So first of all, it stands for Adult Child of Divorce and its the main reason no-one heard of this one. It sounds like a disorder, and people go see comedies that seem like a good time, not a lot of work.

Adam Scott's little bro wants to get married, and its his job to try and get his warring divorced parents to be in the same room together.

Jane Lynch, Mary Elisabeth Winstead, Amy Poehler, Katherine O'Hara and Richard Jenkins are all great. Funny likable cast, terrific situation comedy, its only about 20 minutes too long. Truly the only reason this got buried was that terrible unwieldy title.

6/10 outwore its welcome by the end, but still, underrated.

Enjoyable but inessential

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
22 May 2014

A.C.O.D. is at times too amiable and meandering for its own good, but it gets by on a decent number of laughs and a strong cast. I kept waiting for things to escalate but it never quite happened despite the way the characters treat each other. I can't say it was a disappointment as I wasn't really expecting anything from it, but I suppose I just wanted it to be a bit... more.

Director Stuart Zicherman has assembled a cast including such reliably funny actors as Adam Scott, Catherine O'Hara, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler, and he's co-written (with Ben Karlin) a film that is, to be fair, consistently laugh out loud funny. It's engaging enough, and it ends on a perfect note. I just can't get excited about it.

Going in with the cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy. This is good & worth seeing but don't expect a laugh-out-loud comedy.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
11 January 2014

"Them together is bad for everyone, especially me." Carter (Scott) has settled into his life as an Adult Child Of Divorce. He has a girlfriend he likes and a restaurant he owns. When his brother Trey (Duke) informs him of his engagement things begin to fall apart for Carter. First he has to try and get his parents to talk to each other so the wedding won't be ruined. Then he must keep them from getting back together for his sake. Going in with that cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy that I would be laughing at the whole time. While this was a good movie and I did like it it wasn't nearly as funny as I was expecting. There are some funny parts in this but it wasn't the laugh riot I was expecting. This is more about the selfishness of one person and how he messes with everyone's life to make him more comfortable. There is some very funny moments in this but hard to make that plot hilarious. Again though this is a good movie and worth seeing but do not expect the laugh-out-loud comedy I did. Overall, good and worth seeing but not super funny. I give it a B.

Worth a Watch, but not for Laughs

Author: keeverj
10 May 2016

After watching A.C.O.D. on Netflix I immediately logged onto IMDb to see what sort of ratings the movie had received from critics and other users. I was in fact very surprised that the reviews were not stronger for this movie.

I believe the main problem with this movie is that it must be listed as a comedy. A.C.O.D. is not the traditional comedy with one liners, slapstick, and crazy over the top situations, but is more of a drama dealing with the struggles of an adult living with the trauma of growing up the child of divorced parents. The protagonist Carter's character arc is quite engaging and mostly well written. Even things that he did that I felt were out of character seemed passable when his overall emotional state was considered. The movie was quite deep and could be potentially very meaningful to real life adult children of divorce.

Other positives of this film are in its acting and direction. Most of the actors in this movie were quite good. Adam Scott was typical Adam Scott, nothing new there. The direction was also quite good and I enjoyed the soundtrack.

If you plan to go into this movie expecting laughs though, you won't probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Glad to have watched this movie

Author: dlstrayer from United States
12 October 2014

I was flicking through the menu for movies last night and came across A.C.O.D. I'm glad that I did. I wasn't expecting much since I had never heard of it. My preference is action and some comedies so this did not appear to be my normal type of movie and I had my finger on the remote ready to change it. Before I knew it, I got caught up in the movie and when it was over, I can honestly say that I had a few laughs and enjoyed the storyline. Jane Lynch is 'echoing' herself by listening to people on couches and she is great at it. All actors were good and if you want to watch a movie that has gravity with some comedy, then go for it.

An adult who has divorced parents must deal with them reuniting in the midst of his brother's engagement

Author: jayjun1992 from California
27 January 2014

This film surprised me a lot. Looking at the main poster and advertisements for this, I thought this would be more of an in-your-face, laugh out loud funny movie. But it takes a different turn, being more of a drama than comedy.

That being said, I think that it balances the two genres very well. The humor, more subtle and realistic, adds just the right amount of lightheartedness to the relatable subject matter. Casting was pretty on the dot too.

Only thing that kept me from giving it a higher rating are the few scenes in the film that didn't really seem necessary.

Overall though, it was really enjoyable and entertaining. I would definitely watch it again.