IMDb > A.C.O.D. (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A.C.O.D.

A.C.O.D. More at IMDbPro »

Go see it and have a good laugh

Author: Jimmy P from USA
20 October 2013

I went into this film with an open mind. The film trailers played months ago, and they got a lot of theatre laughs, but then this film was slowly put out to the theatres and i saw low rating numbers on this site and i wasn't in a rush to see this film. I enjoyed the film as both a comedy and a drama.

The center of the film is on Carter, the older Brother's response to reuniting his parents for the sake of his brother. This in turn brings back bad memories of a dysfunctional family, divorce, and a disrupted family nucleus. Not only is Carter forced to sift through his buried family core issues, but the whole family is brought into the abyss.

I'm not sure what IMDb people were expecting, they usually get it right, but not on this one. I heard lots of audience laughs and sighs. There is a lot of wit and sarcasm instead of Hollywood cheap laughs. Adam Scott felt like a younger Kevin Spacey, I felt he did a great job of pulling off the role. This is certainly not a perfect film, but it is intelligent and fun.

Clever, Smart Comedy

Author: hubin-1 from United States
25 January 2013

A.C.O.D. is such a terrific film that it's difficult to believe that it's Zicherman's directorial debut. The screenplay, by Karlin and Zicherman, is remarkably clever and witty--combining humor with poignant insight to a very satisfying effect. Zicherman gets the pacing exactly right, showing faith in the intelligence of his audience by never belaboring a point. The characters are engaging and the acting is very great. If your an adult child of divorce or a divorced parent who worries about your children, you're likely to recognize something in this film. (When Carter goes through his parents' divorce papers, try to catch some of the petty, ridiculous allegations each makes.) In this film, you see revealed some painful truths about human nature and complex family relationships--always with humor and compassion. This is one of the best comedies I've seen.

A few funny moments, but too clearly a personal catharsis

Author: jimojimo from Chicago
8 February 2014

As I started watching this movie, it became very obvious that this was a very personal, cathartic movie. I have no problem with that, it's done all the time--but what's important, interesting, funny, and meaningful to the writer/director, doesn't always translate into something meaningful to the viewer unless there is far more skill in the storytelling. And that is what I think this movie lacked.

The plot simply covers the story of a a kid named Carter (and his younger brother Trey) who's father was a philanderer as a husband, as well as fairly cold and distant as a father. The father and mother haven't spoken for 20 years and the father has gone through several other step moms over those years.

I'm sure the "seminal" moment of Carter's 9th birthday was a huge deal to writer, but it was thrust at us so quickly at the beginning of the movie that we didn't have time for any background/setup to even know or care what was going on. To me, that scene which was apparently so pivotal ended up a throwaway scene because the writer seemed so eager to tell it that he told it too soon without any context whatsoever.

So we fast forward to Carter's now-successful (at least career-wise) life. There are a lot of funny moments here, but nothing we couldn't see in a half-hour sitcom. But the road the movie takes us down is a bit meandering and it seems very clear that we're going to have some sort of too-neatly wrapped up happy ending designed to close every loose end with a perfect situation and end all the pain of all the children who've gone through this situation.

To me, it just smacked too much of someone dumping his messed-up life on us and his wish of what could have been. It didn't make for an entertaining movie. Maybe a half-hour episode of Trophy Wife or something would have been a better venue for this story. Jimo

A.C.O.D. is a horrible comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
16 April 2014

I don't know whether the subject examined by A.C.O.D. (adult sons of divorced couples) is real, but in this time of political correction and "victim culture", I suppose that it is a valid enough topic for a comedy. Is A.C.O.D. a comedy? I'm not sure. The film has various actors who are famous for their humorous talent: Adam Scott, Amy Poehler, Catherine O'Hara, Adam Pally, Clark Duke and Jane Lynch. However, the pathetic screenplay never made me laugh, and it seems to delight itself into the uncomfortable situations and incongruent reactions from the neurotic characters. This might be the new fashionable sub-genus: "neurotic comedy", specialized in portraying the eccentricities and inappropriate behaviors from dysfunctional characters, so that our oddities don't look as terrible. Anyway, I hated A.C.O.D., even though the "adults sons of divorced couples" might feel themselves identified with the characters. So, I ignore whether this movie truly brings a valuable message, or if it at least works as a meager consolation for those going through that unfortunate situation; but in my personal experience, this film bored me to tears, and I felt it like an absolute waste of time.

Carter thinks he's past it all ....

Author: zif ofoz from United States
13 February 2014

.... but Carter learns he misperceived something important! What a fun movie to watch! Everybody plays their part well.

Poor Carter is caught in the middle of everybody's problems and needs. Then he discovers his past isn't quite what he thought it was! He has to pull all the family together for a wedding and maybe along the way he fixed a lot of lives.

This is a feel good flick and it's done very well - no problems for me! You might not laugh out loud but I'm sure anyone will smile throughout this story!

Watch it! You'll like it!

Going in with the cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy. This is good & worth seeing but don't expect a laugh-out-loud comedy.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
11 January 2014

"Them together is bad for everyone, especially me." Carter (Scott) has settled into his life as an Adult Child Of Divorce. He has a girlfriend he likes and a restaurant he owns. When his brother Trey (Duke) informs him of his engagement things begin to fall apart for Carter. First he has to try and get his parents to talk to each other so the wedding won't be ruined. Then he must keep them from getting back together for his sake. Going in with that cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy that I would be laughing at the whole time. While this was a good movie and I did like it it wasn't nearly as funny as I was expecting. There are some funny parts in this but it wasn't the laugh riot I was expecting. This is more about the selfishness of one person and how he messes with everyone's life to make him more comfortable. There is some very funny moments in this but hard to make that plot hilarious. Again though this is a good movie and worth seeing but do not expect the laugh-out-loud comedy I did. Overall, good and worth seeing but not super funny. I give it a B.

Kids-talk-a-lot

Author: kosmasp
18 June 2014

No the initials have nothing to do with cops, if that was your first thought (there is another one that is not very nice to the man from the force that might sound similar to some). No this was made up for the movie, though I guess there are quite a lot of people out there right now and I think there will be more in the future, who "lost" their parents, but more importantly their childhood.

One of the ways to deal with that is to make a comedy about it. So your parents divorced, does that mean it has an affect on you? Will you be another person because of that? Don't you already have that in you because you're a product of them being together (even if it was a short together)? There are a lot of questions and the movie tries its best to not slide into the obvious/cliché too often. Overall a nice movie, that has some bits of cast and crew talking about their parents after the credits start to roll (a bonus documentary?).

Enjoyable but inessential

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
22 May 2014

A.C.O.D. is at times too amiable and meandering for its own good, but it gets by on a decent number of laughs and a strong cast. I kept waiting for things to escalate but it never quite happened despite the way the characters treat each other. I can't say it was a disappointment as I wasn't really expecting anything from it, but I suppose I just wanted it to be a bit... more.

Director Stuart Zicherman has assembled a cast including such reliably funny actors as Adam Scott, Catherine O'Hara, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler, and he's co-written (with Ben Karlin) a film that is, to be fair, consistently laugh out loud funny. It's engaging enough, and it ends on a perfect note. I just can't get excited about it.

Seemingly honest (yet exaggerated) look at divorce and it's effects on family members.

Author: Hellmant from United States
30 January 2014

'A.C.O.D.': Three and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

New comedy-drama film about a restaurant owner who finds out he was one of the subjects of a book, on the effects of divorce on children (when he was a kid of course), and the author now wants to write a follow-up on the subjects as adults. The title is an abbreviation for Adult Children of Divorce and is based (loosely) on the director's (Stu Zicherman) actual experiences. It was written by Zicherman and Ben Karlin and stars Adam Scott, Richard Jenkins, Catherine O'Hara, Clark Duke, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Amy Poehler, Jane Lynch, Ken Howard and Jessica Alba. I found the movie to be very funny and a seemingly honest (yet exaggerated) look at divorce and it's effects on family members.

Scott plays Carter, a successful restaurant owner who's been dating his girlfriend, Lauren (Winstead), for four years but has never thought at all about marriage (or even moving in with her) mainly because of his history dealing with his parents (and their many marriages). Jenkins plays his father Hugh, who's now married to a woman Carter's age (Poehler), and O'Hara plays his mother Melissa, who's now married to a nice guy named Gary (Howard). Hugh and Melissa have not spoken in twenty years and hate each other's guts. When Carter's younger brother Trey (Duke), who doesn't even remember their parents being together, tells Carter he's getting married it becomes Carter's responsibility to convince his parents that they can be in the same room together (for the wedding). He goes to see Dr. Judith (Lynch) for help and finds out the woman he thought was his childhood psychiatrist (Dr. Judith) is not a psychiatrist at all but was actually writing a book on children of divorce (and Carter was one of her subjects). Things become more complicated when Carter's parents do end up seeing each other and Dr. Judith wants to write a follow-up to her book (with Carter's involvement again).

Most of the crew who worked on the film are all adult children of divorce (as we find out through interviews in the end credits). It is an interesting and very serious subject matter but that doesn't mean it can't be made fun of at all. This film does a good job of treating the subject matter seriously while still being really funny at times. Characters and issues are of course exaggerated but they still seem like real people with real problems. I think Scott is outstanding in the lead and the supporting cast all does what they do best as well (in minimal parts though). Zicherman does a good job for a first time director and the screenplay is well written as well (coming from a writer of 'ELEKTRA'!). I'd definitely say it's worth seeing, unless divorce is a touchy subject for you (possibly); although it probably is for most of the people that made the movie as well.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gmBnRGZV8o

An adult who has divorced parents must deal with them reuniting in the midst of his brother's engagement

Author: jayjun1992 from California
27 January 2014

This film surprised me a lot. Looking at the main poster and advertisements for this, I thought this would be more of an in-your-face, laugh out loud funny movie. But it takes a different turn, being more of a drama than comedy.

That being said, I think that it balances the two genres very well. The humor, more subtle and realistic, adds just the right amount of lightheartedness to the relatable subject matter. Casting was pretty on the dot too.

Only thing that kept me from giving it a higher rating are the few scenes in the film that didn't really seem necessary.

Overall though, it was really enjoyable and entertaining. I would definitely watch it again.