IMDb > A.C.O.D. (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A.C.O.D.

A.C.O.D. More at IMDbPro »

Go see it and have a good laugh

Author: Jimmy P from USA
20 October 2013

I went into this film with an open mind. The film trailers played months ago, and they got a lot of theatre laughs, but then this film was slowly put out to the theatres and i saw low rating numbers on this site and i wasn't in a rush to see this film. I enjoyed the film as both a comedy and a drama.

The center of the film is on Carter, the older Brother's response to reuniting his parents for the sake of his brother. This in turn brings back bad memories of a dysfunctional family, divorce, and a disrupted family nucleus. Not only is Carter forced to sift through his buried family core issues, but the whole family is brought into the abyss.

I'm not sure what IMDb people were expecting, they usually get it right, but not on this one. I heard lots of audience laughs and sighs. There is a lot of wit and sarcasm instead of Hollywood cheap laughs. Adam Scott felt like a younger Kevin Spacey, I felt he did a great job of pulling off the role. This is certainly not a perfect film, but it is intelligent and fun.

Clever, Smart Comedy

Author: hubin-1 from United States
25 January 2013

A.C.O.D. is such a terrific film that it's difficult to believe that it's Zicherman's directorial debut. The screenplay, by Karlin and Zicherman, is remarkably clever and witty--combining humor with poignant insight to a very satisfying effect. Zicherman gets the pacing exactly right, showing faith in the intelligence of his audience by never belaboring a point. The characters are engaging and the acting is very great. If your an adult child of divorce or a divorced parent who worries about your children, you're likely to recognize something in this film. (When Carter goes through his parents' divorce papers, try to catch some of the petty, ridiculous allegations each makes.) In this film, you see revealed some painful truths about human nature and complex family relationships--always with humor and compassion. This is one of the best comedies I've seen.

A few funny moments, but too clearly a personal catharsis

Author: jimojimo from Chicago
8 February 2014

As I started watching this movie, it became very obvious that this was a very personal, cathartic movie. I have no problem with that, it's done all the time--but what's important, interesting, funny, and meaningful to the writer/director, doesn't always translate into something meaningful to the viewer unless there is far more skill in the storytelling. And that is what I think this movie lacked.

The plot simply covers the story of a a kid named Carter (and his younger brother Trey) who's father was a philanderer as a husband, as well as fairly cold and distant as a father. The father and mother haven't spoken for 20 years and the father has gone through several other step moms over those years.

I'm sure the "seminal" moment of Carter's 9th birthday was a huge deal to writer, but it was thrust at us so quickly at the beginning of the movie that we didn't have time for any background/setup to even know or care what was going on. To me, that scene which was apparently so pivotal ended up a throwaway scene because the writer seemed so eager to tell it that he told it too soon without any context whatsoever.

So we fast forward to Carter's now-successful (at least career-wise) life. There are a lot of funny moments here, but nothing we couldn't see in a half-hour sitcom. But the road the movie takes us down is a bit meandering and it seems very clear that we're going to have some sort of too-neatly wrapped up happy ending designed to close every loose end with a perfect situation and end all the pain of all the children who've gone through this situation.

To me, it just smacked too much of someone dumping his messed-up life on us and his wish of what could have been. It didn't make for an entertaining movie. Maybe a half-hour episode of Trophy Wife or something would have been a better venue for this story. Jimo

Enjoyable but inessential

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
22 May 2014

A.C.O.D. is at times too amiable and meandering for its own good, but it gets by on a decent number of laughs and a strong cast. I kept waiting for things to escalate but it never quite happened despite the way the characters treat each other. I can't say it was a disappointment as I wasn't really expecting anything from it, but I suppose I just wanted it to be a bit... more.

Director Stuart Zicherman has assembled a cast including such reliably funny actors as Adam Scott, Catherine O'Hara, Jane Lynch and Amy Poehler, and he's co-written (with Ben Karlin) a film that is, to be fair, consistently laugh out loud funny. It's engaging enough, and it ends on a perfect note. I just can't get excited about it.

Carter thinks he's past it all ....

Author: zif ofoz from United States
13 February 2014

.... but Carter learns he misperceived something important! What a fun movie to watch! Everybody plays their part well.

Poor Carter is caught in the middle of everybody's problems and needs. Then he discovers his past isn't quite what he thought it was! He has to pull all the family together for a wedding and maybe along the way he fixed a lot of lives.

This is a feel good flick and it's done very well - no problems for me! You might not laugh out loud but I'm sure anyone will smile throughout this story!

Watch it! You'll like it!

A.C.O.D. is a horrible comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
16 April 2014

I don't know whether the subject examined by A.C.O.D. (adult sons of divorced couples) is real, but in this time of political correction and "victim culture", I suppose that it is a valid enough topic for a comedy. Is A.C.O.D. a comedy? I'm not sure. The film has various actors who are famous for their humorous talent: Adam Scott, Amy Poehler, Catherine O'Hara, Adam Pally, Clark Duke and Jane Lynch. However, the pathetic screenplay never made me laugh, and it seems to delight itself into the uncomfortable situations and incongruent reactions from the neurotic characters. This might be the new fashionable sub-genus: "neurotic comedy", specialized in portraying the eccentricities and inappropriate behaviors from dysfunctional characters, so that our oddities don't look as terrible. Anyway, I hated A.C.O.D., even though the "adults sons of divorced couples" might feel themselves identified with the characters. So, I ignore whether this movie truly brings a valuable message, or if it at least works as a meager consolation for those going through that unfortunate situation; but in my personal experience, this film bored me to tears, and I felt it like an absolute waste of time.

Going in with the cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy. This is good & worth seeing but don't expect a laugh-out-loud comedy.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
11 January 2014

"Them together is bad for everyone, especially me." Carter (Scott) has settled into his life as an Adult Child Of Divorce. He has a girlfriend he likes and a restaurant he owns. When his brother Trey (Duke) informs him of his engagement things begin to fall apart for Carter. First he has to try and get his parents to talk to each other so the wedding won't be ruined. Then he must keep them from getting back together for his sake. Going in with that cast I was expecting a hilarious comedy that I would be laughing at the whole time. While this was a good movie and I did like it it wasn't nearly as funny as I was expecting. There are some funny parts in this but it wasn't the laugh riot I was expecting. This is more about the selfishness of one person and how he messes with everyone's life to make him more comfortable. There is some very funny moments in this but hard to make that plot hilarious. Again though this is a good movie and worth seeing but do not expect the laugh-out-loud comedy I did. Overall, good and worth seeing but not super funny. I give it a B.

Too forced of a comedy

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
4 January 2015

The story touches on a pseudo-science of the all too common syndrome of the American culture of having dysfunctional families. The assumption on top of this wreckage of a family culture also turns out to be non of a comedy deserving any praise. With the story offering many twists and surprises, the movie still is not a good entertainment. The story build up takes too long. The humor often is too corny. Also the drama side often lacks strength. The acting overall is also not a good job. Adam Scott seems to forget that this movie is meant to be a comedy, delving too deep at the drama side. Richard Jenkins and Catherine O'Hara tried their best and played their parts at a standard quality for a comedy. Having Mary Elizabeth Winstead really did nothing to help the acting overall.

Adult Children of Divorce Rocks

Author: Matt-144-792009 (Matt@yourturntopick.com) from United States
2 January 2015

In A.C.O.D. Adam Scott plays Carter, a successful restaurateur who seems to have it all. As a child however his parents (Richard Jenkins and Catherine O'Hara) were involved in a brutal divorce that drug on for years. When Carter's Brother Trey (Clark Duke) announces he is getting married, Carter tries to get his parents to a place where they can be in the same room for the sake of the wedding. Overwhelmed by the task, Carter turns to what he thinks is his childhood therapist Dr. Judith (Jane Lynch). Only he finds out she was an author who was using him as a subject of a study, Children of Divorce. Once they reconnect, Dr. Judith is inspired to write a follow up to her best seller and revisit the kids she included in the study. Along the way of preparing for his brother's wedding and participating in the new study we learn that Carter isn't as well adjusted as he seems. At which point all seems to go haywire for our viewing enjoyment. I enjoyed this film on many levels. The acting to start is what really makes this film, you could not have found a better cast. It's great to see Adam Scott and Richard Jenkins together, given how well they worked together in Stepbrothers (2008). Catherine O'Hara is always a pleasure to see in any comedy, a very underrated actress. Be it Home Alone (1990), Best in Show (2000) or Orange County (2002) she never disappoints. I hope that there are at least talks somewhere for her to do another Christopher Guest film full of adlibbed genius. Jane Lynch as the therapist/author is great as usual, not far off from the therapist role she played in Two and a Half Men. She does snarky sarcastic to a fine art form. Amy Poehler as the stepmother is funny as well, hard to miss with her in anything. Clark Duke is what I refer to as the poor man's Jonah Hill. He will work in the same capacity, just with limited acting range. I always feel like he is the exact same guy in every movie I see him in, Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) or Sex Drive (2008). What really made this film for me personally was the great indie rock soundtrack. As the film progressed I was surprised by more and more musical gems, Dirty Gold, Okkerville River, Deer Tick, Architecture in Helsinki, Audio Paint and Dr. Dog. If you are a fan of music the soundtrack alone is worth catching the movie for. Overall I would recommend A.C.O.D., its irreverent family dysfunction at its most entertaining levels. The film has a very hipster independent film feel, but not so much to where it's off putting. Currently the film is available on Netfilx and is easily a must see of comedies available on the format.

If you enjoyed this review, please check out my blog at yourturntopick.com

Glad to have watched this movie

Author: dlstrayer from United States
12 October 2014

I was flicking through the menu for movies last night and came across A.C.O.D. I'm glad that I did. I wasn't expecting much since I had never heard of it. My preference is action and some comedies so this did not appear to be my normal type of movie and I had my finger on the remote ready to change it. Before I knew it, I got caught up in the movie and when it was over, I can honestly say that I had a few laughs and enjoyed the storyline. Jane Lynch is 'echoing' herself by listening to people on couches and she is great at it. All actors were good and if you want to watch a movie that has gravity with some comedy, then go for it.