IMDb > Bullet to the Head (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Stallone Should Stop Medling

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
27 November 2014

Sylvester Stallone was currently enjoying an Indian summer of stardom thanks to his return to Rambo and the Expendables franchise, plus his much praised role in the last Rocky movie, when he signed up to make this movie.

Plot In A Paragaph: After watching their respective partners die, a New Orleans hit-man (Sly Stallone) and a Washington D.C. detective (Sung Kang) team up in order to bring down their common enemy.

This is one of his movies where Stallone's ego and interfering for in the way of a potentially good movie.

Wayne Kramer was originally hired to direct. However after clashing with Stallone over the tone of the film, he left the production and was replaced by Walter Hill. From this point both Stallone and Hill performed uncredited re-writes on the screenplay.

Thomas Jane was brought into the project by original director Wayne Kramer. When Kramer left the project, Jane suggested Sylvester Stallone to hire Walter Hill. After Hill took over directorial duties, Joel Silver came on board the project and fired Jane because he wanted an ethnic guy for the other lead role. Sung Kang was subsequently cast.

Whilst I don't hate this movie, it's not as good as it could have been. I did like the score Jason Moma is a menacing villain, Sarah Shahi is attractive with a nice bum and Stallone is always worth watching, but it just doesn't come together.

Walter Hill directed some decent movies and Sly Stallone has starred in some decent stand alone movies. This isn't one of them. Stallone remains watchable as always but these are not ninety of his better minutes

Very disappointing!

Author: petarmatic from Sarajevo B&H
23 March 2014

I love Sylvester Stalone, but I do not like him in this film. I gave good forty five minutes for this film do develop and make some sense, but then I gave up. I had better things to do then to watch this kind of film.

Plot is a cliché, seem many times before. Nothing good about it. disappointing! What he tells the masseuse to go and be quite and not do anything. She just watches the shooting and does nothing. Would that happen in the real life? Not! I do not like unrealistic plots, and there was a lot of that here.

Acting is good by Stalone, but the rest of the actors, zilch.

If you like Sylvester this is a film for you, otherwise go do something better with your life.

Surprisingly good!

Author: schuster_mark from United States
18 February 2014

I'm not going to bore you with details regarding the plot or storyline, there's plenty of that to read above. What I will say is, this movie is surprisingly entertaining. When I first saw this movie I thought, Sly Stallone, really? Didn't he die? (j/k) I loved watching Stallone movies back in the day, "Rocky" and "Rambo", just to name a few, but now?? A series of awful thoughts quickly assembled in my head about just how strange it was going to be watching a 67 year old run around cracking heads and jumping through windows. But atlas, it wasn't strange at all, and yes he does crack some heads (can't remember if he jumps threw any windows) and it was all well done and believable. No canes or walkers in sight! In fact, he actually looked pretty good. Much better than anyone I know that's 67! Beyond Sly, Sung Kang was a big reason this movie worked. The chemistry between him and Sly is slightly off once in awhile - but really works for most of the movie. This fact is important. Without any chemistry this movie would have been dead in the water from the word "go". Another supporting star that really made this film is Jason Momoa. This man has a gift for being bad, and bad he was.

Is this movie going to win an award? No. Is this movie going to go down as one of Sly's greatest movies? No. Is this movie highly entertaining and completely capable of keeping your attention for all 92 minutes? YES! A surprisingly good movie that's worth your time.

This Bullet Bites

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
18 August 2013

In "Bullet to the Head," a granite-faced Sylvester Stallone, who's looking more and more like he should be staring down from Mount Rushmore, plays a "principled" hit man - i.e., he draws the line at taking out women and children - who has the tables turned on him when the same guy (Christian Slater) who hired him to kill a dirty ex-cop then turns around and hires someone else to take out Stallone and his fellow hit man. Stallone then teams up with the old partner (Sung Kang) of the now-deceased dirty ex-cop to take out Slater. And if none of this makes any sense, welcome to the world of "Bullet to the Head."

Suffice it to say that the bodies pile up faster than vehicles at a NASCAR rally, as Stallone and Kang play a deadly game of cat-and-mouse through the streets and alleyways of New Orleans, all the while bickering like an old married couple.

There really isn't much of interest to say about this thoroughly tired and generic crime tale, other than to note that the screenplay is as mechanical and muddled as Stallone's line readings.

Do yourself and everyone involved with this production a favor and take a pass on "Bullet to the Head." You won't regret it.

An incredibly unfortunate mess

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 July 2013

There is no one who wanted to love this more than me. I idolize Stallone and could watch him do just about anything. I didn't care that the film bombed at the box office because what does that mean really? The Last Stand bombed too and it was phenomenal! I waited so long to see this and was just absolutely floored to finally get to see it. So I suppose my expectations were high but I desperately was determined to find all the good in the film no matter what. Thankfully the movie isn't a total write off but honestly it isn't too far from it. The characters are very weak (with the exception of Stallone), the story is far more complex than it needs to be and the action scenes for the most part are broken down into the same type of gun battle over and over again. There is no doubt that plenty of people receive bullets to the head. Fortunately for Stallone fans like myself the film isn't an entire write off. The last fifteen minutes or so of this movie are the best of the entire film. The final fight scene with Stallone and Momoa wielding axes is very well shot and an excellent scene. Even the final scene between Stallone and Kang really wraps everything up nicely and is a solid final scene.

Sylvester Stallone has perhaps the only really well developed character in the film. That's not really saying much because its not a complex character by any means but its perfect for him. Jimmy Bobo is a brooding, dark, sarcastic and very exact hit-man. He delivers well written dialogue like the action legend he is. If only the rest of the story around him was as good. Sung Kang is decent as the cop with a morality code forced to work with a hit-man. I found Kang just a little bland at times which didn't work for the film. The chemistry with him and Stallone was okay, but not great. Sarah Shahi, in my opinion was a completely unnecessary character. She plays Stallone's estranged daughter and a "sort-of" romantic interest for Kang (Tango and Cash anyone?) She just mostly got in the way and the romance angle was forced. It was a predictable aspect of the story that wasn't necessary. Jason Momoa has one purpose in this film, be big, be menacing, be violent and he nails all three of those. Unfortunately for him as an actor his character has NO development at all and no real depth whatsoever. But he snarls and fights his way through the film and makes a worthy villain in that aspect. Christian Slater's first theatrical role in something like a decade is mostly unnoticed because he is hardly in the movie and has a very small part as basically an informant.

Honestly, who could have been chosen better to make an old school, violent action flick than director Walter Hill? 48 Hours and the sequel, Last Man Standing (a brilliant action flick), The Warriors...he has a style and substance that cannot be denied. Unfortunately I think this script was very cumbersome and tried way too hard to be a serious drama/thriller instead of just making a good violent adult action flick. Screenplay was written by Alessandra Camon who has produced plenty of films and yet has only a few screen credits for writing. So once again a film is bogged down by a writer with little experience in screenplays. I'm a writer too and I would NEVER try and write a screenplay without years of practice and working with a professional because it ends up being a mess. I will forever be disappointed with Bullet To The Head because I long for what it could have been. Unfortunately, I have to live with what it is and there is enough to just barely make it watchable but mostly its very forgettable. 5.5/10

Just decent.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
19 July 2013

Bullet to the Heat is a decent action film with some high quality fight scenes and good acting. Sylvester Stallone plays his typical BA role and Sung Kang continues to emerge as a potential star on the rise. I also loved the addition, though small, of Sarah Shahi. I really hope she starts to get some bigger roles because she is a fantastic actress and has such a unique and exotic look. The flaws in the movie were pretty major though. The plot development was frantic and sort of a mess and the element of Kang's character being ignorant to the police's involvement seemed kind of silly considering how obvious is was to the audience and even the rest of the characters in the film. The gun play was also horrendous. How many movies are going to use the silencer in this unrealistic fashion? It's really getting old. I also thought Sly's character was a little over the top. It's tough to "root for" a protagonist that you can't stand and his character was a bit too much of a jerk to get in his corner. On a slightly off-topic note, I find it ironic that Stallone has opined against guns and the 2nd amendment but then makes movies like this where there are criminals and crooked cops left and right. Talk about hypocrisy. Back to the point though, this was a decent movie that had some entertainment value but nothing more really.

A bullet to the head is starting to sound like a good plan...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
19 July 2013

After recent movies such as "Rambo" and "The Expendables" and "The Expandables 2", I had my hopes up for this movie, as it seemed like Sylvester Stallone was back in the loop, like he was back when I was a young kid.

However, "Bullet to the Head" didn't really live up to my expectations. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that this is a bad movie, no, not at all. The movie is just plain and ordinary. The movie failed to stand out and wasn't really memorable or near the movies that Stallone was known for back in the day.

The storyline in the movie is fairly simple, two hired hit men are on a job, but end up in a game of double-crossing and deceit. When James Bonomo's (played by Sylvester Stallone) partner is killed, he ends up having to join forces with police detective Taylor Kwon (played by Sung Kang), something which is against Bonomo's usual ways of doing stuff. Trying to track down the one behind the double-cross, stakes are high and the duo have to succeed before they end up dead.

Right, well it is a pretty straight forward and simple storyline, which doesn't really require you to do much thinking. Which would be alright, if the movie had enough action and adrenaline to support the lack of story, which it sadly didn't; thus rendering the movie a fairly mediocre experience.

Now, both Sylvester Stallone and Sung Kang did good enough jobs with their given roles, but I was especially entertained by Marcus Baptiste (played by Christian Slater) and what happened to his character - it was just priceless.

If you are looking for a good action movie, then there are far better movies available out there. "Bullet to the Head" might have some greater appeal to you if you are a die-hard fan of Sylvester Stallone. But it is nowhere near up to the level of his previous movies, not by a long shot. The movie was entertaining enough, for what it was, but don't expect anything extraordinary here.

Fun updating of 48 Hrs.

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
8 December 2013

BULLET TO THE HEAD is nothing more than Walter Hill's reworking of his own 48 HRS., rejigging and updating the storyline for modern audiences. Stallone takes on the gruff elder cop-type role that Nick Nolte played in the original, while Sung Kang is the minority sidekick. Of course, they're on the trail of a nasty psychopath type, wading their way through various other bad guys en route.

I'm a sucker for action movies, particularly star vehicles, and I rarely see one I dislike. I've liked most of the Stallone films I've seen over the years, and this one is no different; action fans will be in their element, even if this is far from a perfect film. Indeed, it feels a little hollow and artificial in places, and it lacks a decent score to enhance the excitement, but for the most part it works by keeping to a simple, old-fashioned formula.

Stallone is the best thing in the film. He relishes his character's own brand of ultra violence, which certainly lives up to titular expectations, and barks out his dialogue with aplomb, reminding one of a bulldog chewing on a nettle. Sung Kang is also better than you'd expect, delivering a more mature characterisation than I'd expected, and completing the trio is the truly hulking Jason Momoa (CONAN THE BARBARIAN), kicking ass all over the place. Hill's action choreography is effective and if the storyline is even more simplistic than the likes of COBRA, it doesn't matter, because you're having too much fun to notice too much.

If only we were still in the 80's

Author: eddie_baggins from Australia
30 October 2013

If only they made this movie 20 – 30 years ago, my goodness what an event it would have been. You would have had Stallone then at the top of his dry humour tough guy persona and Walter Hill on a roll with such action gems as The Warriors and 48 Hrs behind him, I can see it now being one of the decade's biggest and cheesiest action movies racking in millions upon millions of young men's money. Fast forward to 2013 and what do you have however? A movie that flopped worse than Stallone's facial skin and a movie that merely presents passable entertainment for a Friday night pizza and movie session. I repeat, if only this movie was made 20 – 30 years ago.

Bullet to the Head adapted from the graphic novel of the same name is a pretty sad attempt to spend a 50 million dollar action budget for what is presented on screen is a film worthy of it's in many cases direct to DVD release. It looks nasty, it feels cheap and features many an actor who goes from pay check to pay check (here's looking at you Mr. Slater) who should know better. It's a tale of revenge and mismatched pairing that is a staple of the action genre since the dawn of the genre and is only saved by complete mediocrity by the old stallion himself.

Stallone as bad boy hit-man "Bobo" does enough wisecracking and menacing looks that you actually believe he works out at the gym and doesn't take steroids and there is some quite decent banter between him and Korean star Kang as out of town cop to present some giggles and show you what could have been if more care had been paid to quality control. Hill also shows just enough old time flare behind the camera to allow some scenes some energy and keeps the pace frolicking along nice and steady almost as if to not allow the audience time to think about just how bad the story line is.

Bullet to the Head may provide nice nostalgic entertainment for those children of the 80's action hey days but as a modern day movie it just doesn't cut the mustard. It's not hard to see why this movie came and disappeared faster than a bullet but it's also to silly to completely deride. Grab a pizza, grab some mates and sit back for 90 minutes of 80's-lite action that you'll forget as soon as the credits have rolled.

2 random autopsy's out of 5 For more movie reviews and opinions check out - www.jordanandeddie.wordpress.com

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
18 July 2013

Bullet to the Head

Teaming a hit-man with a cop is likely to only result in heated augments over who gets more room in the gun cabinet.

Thankfully, the odd coupling in this action movie are not roommates.

When an assassin (Jason Momoa) murders his partner (Jon Seda), after they just completed a hit on a corrupt cop, hired gun Bobo (Sylvester Stallone) believes he's next.

Meanwhile, Det. Kwon (Sung Kang) tempts to solve the officer's death but is impeded by a businessman (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) intent on developing a poor area of town.

In order to close the case, Kwon must side with Bobo. But doing so means partnering with the criminal element. Something Kwon isn't comfortable doing.

With bad acting, antiquated action, and a banal script, a real bullet to the head would be more gratifying than this pap.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be easier to just hire the hit-man to kill themself?

Red Light