IMDb > Bullet to the Head (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Did you see that?

Author: botrytis from Hungary
15 June 2013

Okey, we know it, it's still a B categorized movie, but come on, I was totally surprised: It was fun, it was classy old-school action flick, actors are great, included STALLONE, yeah, you read it right. Great soundtrack and pretty well written screenplay, I mean the phasing was correct, even if the story was too used, but there was no boredom at all.

If you wanna see a perfect cameo, well this is it. Stallone actually acted, and that's a big word, he had a character in this movie, and pretty likable, even his lines were totally funny, I cracked up many times, it seemed to me that Syl had fire inside in this role.

The Guy who played Keegan was a great actor, I don't know him yet, maybe this is his first big part, but I think this gonna give him Big chances for further career. Same rating to the girl played Sly's daughter, she was natural, and believable.

The Story is totally unoriginal though, but it had no unnecessary dramatized moments, which would give any hint of seriousness. The screen writing was perfect, it had no complicated story to base on, yet managed to bring the old-school action movie presentation on a level which we expect from a B movie. No boredom, there is always something to happen in this movie, it's just kinda natural.

Some of the action parts however are little cheesy, but the surrounding destructing fighting scenes are pretty alright.

Directing is decent, the Soundtrack is another great thing in this motion picture, everything just fit perfectly to maintain the 80-90's feeling.

So yeah, maybe I'm crazy at this moment to say I kinda liked this movie, I totally didn't take this film seriously, and here I am, for me it totally deserves a 6 out of 10.

Hint: Do not take it seriously!

P.S: This cameo is better then Arnold's (The Last Stand)

Sleazy action throwback

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
5 February 2014

Directed by Walter Hill and starring Sylvester Stallone, 'Bullet to the Head' works best when it eschews modern action tropes and fully embraces its retro lineage. At 67, Stallone still makes for a believable and compelling action lead. When he squares off against the likes of the half his age Jason Momoa, you don't laugh, you whisper a little prayer for the younger actor. If anything, Stallone's age actually works to his advantage, giving him a new edge. This is a man with hard earned wisdom who still has the muscle to put it to use.

At its best 'Bullet to the Head' almost manages to recapture the mojo of Hill and Stallone's earlier work. At its worst it's still a serviceable trashy action diversion.

Best Stallone film for decades!

Author: Tom Lauzon from London, England
19 January 2014

Back on top form, glad to see director Walter Hill team up with Stallone, with good actors in supporting roles, Jason Momoa and Christian Slater who form the opposition. I enjoyed 48 Hrs and Red Heat from Walter Hill back in the 1980's and this is right up there with those 80's action thrillers. Best anti buddy cop movies I've seen. Stallone on top form, his best since the days of Rambo, Tango & Cash and Demolition Man. A lot of good old violence absent in so many of todays pop culture films aimed at a younger generation, the action here hits hard and pulls no punches. A lot of blood and a well put together revenge story, as the name suggests this one is hardcore. A great fight scene at the end, better than previous fight scenes you might have scene in Cobra or The Expendables 2, this one goes all out with battle axes! Bang, down, owned. Revenge never gets old.

Barely watchable.

Author: recline69 from Las Vegas
18 January 2014

I love a good formulaic action movie as much as the next guy but jeez this was really really tough to watch. What was sly doing in this? I would guess for the chance to work with Walter Hill. Unfortunately it was really poorly directed and contains none of the guts that his films are famous for. There is absolutely no chemistry between Sly and his American Korean costar Sung Kang. In Fact Kang was so poor that it was hard not wanting his character to die as fast as possible and just let sly chew the scenery. The dialogue was full of groan moments and the only actor to have some fun in this was Cristian Slater. Unfortunately we don't get to see enough of his character. Every time I wanted to see a little bit more of a certain scene it would be cut or are we just go to the next scene. We never get to explore The atmosphere of the film. It had this fantastic backdrop of New Orleans and basically didn't use it. Overall I would not recommend watching this movie even if you like action movies. That is unless you're a die-hard Sly Completist or just want to know how not to make an action movie.

Very very average and forgettable.

Author: richieandsam
24 September 2013

BULLET TO THE HEAD

This was a disappointment. I didn't hate it, I thought it was alright. But Stallone has made some great films recently. This just seemed like a bulk standard action film that is easily forgettable. There was no excitement in this film and no thrilling moments.

The movie is about a hit-man and a policeman who end up working together to catch the guy that killed both of their partners. They don't get on and they both have different ways of reacting to situations… it makes for an interesting partnership.

Sylvester Stallone plays the hit-man… he does not care about life, his or others. He has no problem with killing anyone. The cop is played by Sung Kang. He plays by the book and hates to see the law broken. The characters just seemed to have no personality. Their performances were OK, but there was nothing that stuck out as being really well done. Other cast members were Christian Slater and Jason Momoa. They did a good jobs in their roles. I would say Jason's character was the best of the film. I thought he stuck out above the rest of the cast.

The story was just a little flat. It seems like it was a story that has been made a million times over and this was nothing special. The action was OK… there were some good fighting scenes in there and a couple of good gun fights, but nothing that will stick in my mind. Unfortunately I think this film will be forgotten. I will probably watch it again in the future thinking I have never seen it. I have heard that Sylvester Stallone regrets making a couple of films from back in the day… I know he hates Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot and also he has said some negative things about Cobra. But I have to say that Cobra is a lot better than Bullet To The Head.

Not bad, but really not good… it is a shame and I hope that he brings it all back with Escape Plan and The Expendables 3.

I will give this film 5 out of 10.

"When I want your opinion, I will buy you a brain."

For more reviews, please like my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ordinary-Person-Movie- Reviews/456572047728204?ref=hl

Neither the Charm of the 80s nor the Slickness of Today. AVOID!

Author: Mr Bounce from United Kingdom
26 August 2013

Oh dear. Well, it is a Stallone film, so you'd expect at least to have a bit of fun. Sadly, you don't get that at all. There's lots of gruesome action & executions (I usually like a bit of action, but this just seems a bit gratuitous & unnecessary throughout). The only good thing in this film is Momoa, playing a psychotic ex-mercenary.

The other characters are either so bland they might as well be played by anyone (the two main police detectives and Sung Kang's character) or so dislike-able you really don't care what happens to them (Stallone).

Add to this a plot which makes not much sense and you have a really flawed movie. If people like buddy-buddy movies I'd suggest re-watching a Lethal Weapon or even something so terrible as Showdown in Little Tokyo. They're better...

When the interchangeable starts to get its own identity

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
16 July 2013

You know an action movie means business when the opening logos are absolutely shattered by a bullet headed directly for the audience in a 3D-movie-converted-back-to-2D fashion. And yet, I couldn't think of a better way to try and show audiences what they're in for when they see a film like Bullet to the Head, an amusing, serviceable actioneer.

Bullet to the Head works on a competent level for two distinct reasons; one, it reminds us of the cheap, choppy action films from the 1980's that, while often unremarkable and used predominately as star vehicles, possessed a gritty cheesiness that is missing from the flashy techniques of current action cinema. The other thing is that it pleasantly reminds us how to make one of these efforts work, which is by reacquainting the audience with the benefits of locational personality and suspense.

Sylvester Stallone returns here playing hit-man Jimmy Bobo, who reluctantly partners up with detective Taylor Kwon (Sung Kang) to investigate the death of a man Bobo and his former partner killed. Bobo's former partner was murdered by an assassin linked with Greely, the man Bobo killed. Now, the low-income housing of New Orleans - where Bobo and Kwon work - are being torn down by a corrupt real estate mogul (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) and his goons, leaving both Bobo and Kwon to try and take the man down.

The interesting conflict on a character level comes at what both men are used to. Bobo is used to being a "shoot first, ask questions later" guy who operates on the thought of whether or not he believes the man he is faced with should live or die. It's a cut-throat, brutal philosophy. Conversely, Kwon is operating for "the man," working as a detective in Washington D.C. before being dispatched to work down in New Orleans. Kwon must be more dignified and more professional when conducting business and the conflict the two men often run into - one man being too pushy, the other being too passive - is an interesting one to say the least.

Action movies don't have many directors that can say they've made an attempt at carrying a style over to each one of their films, but Walter Hill can at least say he doesn't neglect the environment, texture, and lighting when making one. The film may not be the smoothest, most coherent action film in terms of editing, but there is at least slickness in terms of style. The way Hill captures neon coloring in the streetlights in the headlights of vehicles is a pleasant thing to notice, and the way the grungy landscape of New Orleans' lower income area is a character in itself just adds to the aesthetic flavor of the picture. Bullet to the Head was based off a graphic novel by Alexis Nolent called Du Plomb Dans La Tete, and it seems that, if anything, Hill wanted to maintain the sense of comic-book-coherency in the picture. The style works even if the film it's for doesn't always.

In the mix of what can mostly be called "interchangeable but favorable" lie a few great sequences of suspense and uncertainty. Particularly a scene in the beginning, when Kwon is nervously trying to get away from tough guys with roid-sized muscles in a parking garage. There is no music or any synthesizers to speak of; there's just the tense, unnervingly quiet atmosphere of a parking garage that surrounds them. Another comes near the end, shortly before the obligatory showdown between Bobo and the real estate mogul. There is such a tension that Hill creates that it makes up for a lot of the routine instances in the picture.

Returning to Hill's style as a director, he has even stated publicly that every film he makes is a western in some way, shape, or form. He states, "the Western is ultimately a stripped down moral universe that is, whatever the dramatic problems are, beyond the normal avenues of social control and social alleviation of the problem, and I like to do that even within contemporary stories." Just by reading this, I think I can appreciate Bullet to the Head on more of a level than if it was a movie made by a typical twentysomething director whose only vision was to try and make a good amount of money from the production. Hill does more than shows he loves the genre, but wants to show it portrayed with some identity and some meaning beyond what blows up and where.

Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Sung Kang, Sarah Shahi, Christian Slater, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and Jason Momoa. Directed by: Walter Hill.

Walter Hill Dark Buddy Flick

Author: AudioFileZ from United States
5 June 2013

What we have here is an only slightly less bombastic latter-day Stallone flick. There's a difference and that would be director Walter Hill. This kind of story is classic Hill: dark and decidedly outside the law. Only problem is the "buddy" Stallone saddles up with is a Washington D.C. cop.

When we consider this being slightly a less bombastic current Stallone vehicle that would be as compared to "The Expendables" which is fully intended to be pure fantasy. The viewer is asked to trade a bit less of that factor of "believability" for the dark grit of Walter Hill's vision of the outlaw movie. It works, for the most part, as we have a very renegade aged lone-wolf hit-man who has survived twenty-something arrests and is still plying his trade around New Orleans. It's basically a Hill western without the west.

Stallone is neither particularly likable or despicable as a hit-man with a penchant for Bulleit Bourbon. Stallone nails the persona pretty good despite the viewer's back-catalog of the Rocky and Rambo characters he is doomed to wear. The uncertainty of if you embrace or hate Stallone's James Bonomo character is a big part of the ride. That is what his new "buddy", D.C. cop on loan Taylor Kwon continually wrestles with as he attempts to stay on his side of the law. A big problem is that that side is wrapped up, bought and paid for, in New Orleans. Kwon is on a journey learning just how bent one must apply that law to stay alive. Fortunately he has Bonomo to save him more than once.

The story here is one done so many times it hardly warrants an explanation. It isn't fresh, but there is some real menace brought to it by Jason Momoa. Momoa is Keegan an enforcer with a real physical presence and he enforces his employer's agenda...And, more. The battle between Keegan and Bonomo is a life and death struggle emphasized by Keegan's murder of Bonomo's former partner and, finally, by his kidnapping of Bonomo's daughter.

This is a fest of violent darkness per Walter Hill. It skirts reality constantly and just comes up on the side whereby you want to keep watching as if witnessing a car wreck you can't look away from. In that it succeeds. There's smartass dialog that isn't very inspired and the viewer can almost predict the end result of the events, but it entertains. The cop buddy Kwon played by Sung Kang is pretty deadpan and meshes with the Stallone character in a kind of low-key brilliance. Kang should get some credit for more than just some fine fight scenes as he is yang to Stallone's yin. Christian Slater continues to dumbfound, but is better here than in recent memory. All in all, especially with the enforcer Keegan played by Jason Momoa the cast backs up Stallone nicely.

Want to see a western disguised as a dark crime action flick? This is your movie. It isn't great by any standard yet it works well enough to keep your attention. Personally, I like Stallone taking on unlikeable characters like the Bonomo one here. Good enough to recommend to fans of the dark crime genre. About a 6.5.

Give me a bullet to the head

Author: dave_kent9 from Canada
17 September 2013

"Bullet to the head" should be free with admission to this movie, I think it's the only way that we, as a civilization can be sure that nothing like this movie will ever be made again...remakes, sequels, reboots, trilogies.

1 good idea + 5 poor characters = Bullet to the head

I'm starting to think, the title and the current state of the writer of this film are very similar. But here's hoping. *No offence, to whom ever would be stupid enough to confess they wrote this, I do admit it could be good as a time filler when stuck on an elevator between floors 1 and 2, with a group of Jehovah's Witnesses.*

If you're looking for a shitty movie that sucks, this is your jackpot! I got really close and personal with this film because it became an enclosed chapter of my life. I just couldn't finish it. It's took me a little while to finish watching it, but I finally did it. Only took about 3 sessions, 30 minutes each. That's about all I could take. Which is nice for anyone with obsessive compulsive disorder, because after about 23 minutes of watching you'll be wondering why you're still watching.

When I first started watching this film, I was happy to see Stallone in another roll. Well guess what? Stallone is a millionaire and he can buy his way onto the big screen when ever the hell he wants, I consider this to be a "Hollywood Stallone Surprise" the first of many, I'm sure. He needs our money, people, or he will become one of us. I added this for all the good people who don't know movies exist but love movie stars.

There's 2 parts of this film that just completely lost it for me. Cause I'm a good guy, and wanted to see this film. I was hopping to spend my entertainment money being entertained. My it's bad buy, but I'll consider it a bad investment.

I've heard about a few "plot holes" and to be honest if you can get past the whole, I'm a cop wanting to work with the guy that just killed my partner thing (oh don't worry I'm getting back to this) there's a part near the beginning where Stallone mentions 2 rules...1 no women, 2 no children. He mentions these things ONLY. Then why not murder your tattoo/doctor daughter in the prequel?

So I have tried to put myself into the shoes of an Asian coming to America to be a cop and having his partner killed. It almost seemed like he didn't want revenge for his partner's death. It seemed like he was really a robot from outer space, who learnt English and Law, then became a detective who would later have his partner murdered and that's it. Later the Robot alien teams up with his partner's killer, (I know, my version sounds awesome doesn't it) in order to follow him around until his partner's killer can crack the cause. No family, no friends, and for some reason the cops decide to pull his guy from him because he doesn't have a permit? Cause every cop needs a permit for his gun in order to be able to fight crime.

There are so many other things that I hated about this film, and I try to make my reviews as short for as bad the movie was....I'm surprised I wrote anything at all.

I hated this film.

Fails even as B-Movie Action Fare

Author: My_Pet_Mongoose from United States
14 June 2013

This is one of those movies that you wonder why they bothered making it at all. No one seems particularly enthused by the endeavor.

Of the cast, only Sarah Shahi and Jason Momoa bring anything to their roles. Sly looks bored. Sung Kang is as forgettable in this as he is in everything else. Christian Slater is...wait...Christian Slater is still acting? Huh, how about that?

The plotting is rote and lifeless. The dialogue is strictly stale hard-boiled monologues and bland macho posturing. The action scenes are straight-to-DVD quality.The movie does stir a bit for an outlandish ax fight at the end but it's too little too late.

Other than that, there's nothing here that you haven't seen done better in about a hundred other films.

Page 7 of 13: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]