IMDb > Bullet to the Head (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bullet to the Head

Bullet to the Head More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Sleazy action throwback

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
5 February 2014

Directed by Walter Hill and starring Sylvester Stallone, 'Bullet to the Head' works best when it eschews modern action tropes and fully embraces its retro lineage. At 67, Stallone still makes for a believable and compelling action lead. When he squares off against the likes of the half his age Jason Momoa, you don't laugh, you whisper a little prayer for the younger actor. If anything, Stallone's age actually works to his advantage, giving him a new edge. This is a man with hard earned wisdom who still has the muscle to put it to use.

At its best 'Bullet to the Head' almost manages to recapture the mojo of Hill and Stallone's earlier work. At its worst it's still a serviceable trashy action diversion.

Best Stallone film for decades!

Author: Tom Lauzon from London, England
19 January 2014

Back on top form, glad to see director Walter Hill team up with Stallone, with good actors in supporting roles, Jason Momoa and Christian Slater who form the opposition. I enjoyed 48 Hrs and Red Heat from Walter Hill back in the 1980's and this is right up there with those 80's action thrillers. Best anti buddy cop movies I've seen. Stallone on top form, his best since the days of Rambo, Tango & Cash and Demolition Man. A lot of good old violence absent in so many of todays pop culture films aimed at a younger generation, the action here hits hard and pulls no punches. A lot of blood and a well put together revenge story, as the name suggests this one is hardcore. A great fight scene at the end, better than previous fight scenes you might have scene in Cobra or The Expendables 2, this one goes all out with battle axes! Bang, down, owned. Revenge never gets old.

Surely above average... At times good

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
3 June 2013

Well, the plot has several clichés and predictable scenes, but the run is smooth and similarities/differences of Bonomo-Kwon (what a strange partnership!) are catchy to follow. The ending scenes have twists and are not plain depiction of good winning bad. Sylvester Stallone is still fit and tough, outperforming all his co- actors, including Christian Slater whose consent to his small trivial role seemed odd to me. Sung Kang was too arid and gloomy, I would have chosen someone else - even for the sake of widening the audience through an "ethnic" actor... Nevertheless, if you do not seek profundity, Bullet to the Head is well watchable, and 1 hour 25 minutes pass quickly and without yawning.

Adult action movie that is worth a watch

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
5 July 2013

I wasn't a big fan of Stallone during his early years when he was in movies. Maybe that was way too back for me but the guy is really starting to grow on me. Now a days he is playing this mean tough badass that is a anti-hero or leaning more to the villain side that has principles that I kinda dig. Now I don't know if this movie was worth seeing it in theaters when it came out but it most definitely is a good rent. And a great straight to DVD movie. "The Last Stand" and this came out almost at the same time but I liked this one more than "The Last Stand" which is a Arnold Schwarzenegger. This Stallone movie is basically a throwback to the 80's movie with the gritty tough violence and this one for a lot of parts nails it. Although it lacks in budget it's a good balls to the wall violent action movie that is entertaining for the most part. Stallone is not in his prime anymore but the guy still got it and is going all out these days when it comes to entertaining popcorn action movies. Stallone this time plays a hit-man once again and a badass one once again. But what makes him likable is his aged mentality and how he goes about making tough guy smart-ass remarks but it makes his character more entertaining to watch. Even if he is leaning more to the villainous side I just couldn't help but root for the guy. Sung Kang is in this but he is basically playing Han once again, except as a cop. But the partnership between these two character seemed rushed but it works, despite the very odd partnership. Especially with the slight friendly bashing between the two. And Conan the Barbarian is on their tail and trying to wipe them out. When it comes to the plot it isn't very intelligent or anything original despite the unique partnership between the leads. But it had my attention all the way through because of the entertainment value. Nothing really memorable but for a watch it had my attention. The final showdown between Barney Ross and Conan was cool. The bathroom fight scene reminded me of "The Man from Nowhere" I guess it isn't always other countries borrowing ideas from Hollywood. But it can just be coincidence.

7.5/10

Stallone is still a bad-ass

Author: Ronaldo Rivera
30 June 2013

Enjoyable flick, simple plot but good amount of action made it a fun hour and a half. Stallone can still appear to kick ass in his twilight years and he's certainly enjoying a moderate revival of his career. Rest of the cast were OK, Sung Kang's character should have been given a bit more grit rather than seem like a push-over cop. His action scenes were pretty good so his character is clearly not soft. Overall I recommend it, always been a Stallone fan so I don't know if I'm being biased but I know an enjoyable no-brainer action movie when I see one and this is definitely fits the bill, what's great is it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

No Gun to my Head...to Write This

Author: thesar-2 from United States
15 June 2013

Every once in a while, an obviously slammed movie by both critics and humans, will spark something in me and I will find a lot of joy in watching it.

It would be funny to say: this is not one of those times, but I really had a great time during Bullet to the Head. Yes, it's yet another action-Grindhouse-throwback-expendable feature, much like 2013's earlier The Last Stand – that I also liked a lot, that didn't make anything at the box office. But, receipts do not equate quality of a film.

Sylvester Stallone STILL looks great, even at 67! And he can still kick ass. It's fun to watch him pound these bad guys in this basically "fun" film noir movie about a bad guy (Stallone) who teams with straight-man cop (Sung Kang) to take down the top boss – each for their own reasonings.

You really can't look too deep into this movie, and I won't go into much more detail other than: if you do leave your brain at the door, it's a fun action movie for those of us who loved these – and Stallone – from the 1980-1990s. See it!

Straight action movie done well

Author: siderite from Romania
14 June 2013

Not many can look bad ass at 67. Sly Stallone manages this with relative ease. The fact that the script is based on some French comic books helps a lot, though. The story is clear, almost believable and violent. The cop was pretty weak. His role was that of a ridiculous sidekick. Actors like Christian Slater have very small roles, while Jason Momoa does he usual ass kicking role until some legendary old man kicks his (Teal'c much?).

Overall a linear action movie with little surprises, but one that didn't look like a prolonged TV episode. Violent enough, some funny lines. Enjoyable enough.

A pretty good movie

Author: steve-668-198948 from New Zealand
2 June 2013

I've enjoyed the lovable all round good guy Jason Momoa in Atlantis and have seen him in the dull role of "that guy selling drinks on the beach". Little has been demanded of him in the past and his acting was never in a position to be stretched. Look what happens when you give him a real opportunity, what a truly great actor he is. His presence was every bit as good as the best out there. I do hope this is the start of bigger and better for him as he made the movie for me.

The movie, it was difficult to know if the tone was reflective of the south or structured like an old Bogie black and white real, not to many mouth organs or guitars sliding their way across pentatonics to tell.

Stallone, what more could be said that hasn't, not much so I won't, a great old actor he is that we all cherish he did and does his usual part as well as ever.

A good movie for a few more reason that I've said. solid directing a good start middle and, some sort of ending that still didn't set the tone

Very bad, don't waste your money

Author: Vinegaroon3 from United States
14 February 2013

The success or failure of this movie was almost entirely dependent on the relationship that develops between the Stallone character and the Kang character. The complete botching of this element of the film, with childlike acting, poor dialog, and completely unbelievable premise, doomed this film to "bomb" status.

The premise of combining a criminal and a cop to solve a major crime is not new..."48 Hours" and "Beverly Hills Cop" come to mind immediately. But the motives behind the pairing have to be moderately believable, and the chemistry between the two protagonists has to be very carefully crafted. In this film, they accomplished neither.

Suffice to say the movie is childish, boring, disjointed, and utterly predictable. The acting in many parts, particularly from Kang, is so bad that it made me cringe.

I will say that Stallone, as a 67 year old man, certainly appears to be fanatical about his workouts and his diet. He is so ripped and cut in the move that he almost looks more freakish than "fit". But whatever, his "look" must require a great deal of effort at his age.

Enough said. Skip this movie. You won't like it.

Rambo Meets the New Conan!!!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
1 February 2013

Watching the Sylvester Stallone shoot'em up "Bullet to the Head" felt like a blast from the past. This polished but predictable anthology of action movie clichés contains several R-rated, close-quarters, combat scenes with sufficient amounts of blood splatter and gore; some high-octane, fireball explosions; lots of snappy tough guy banter; and surprising displays of frontal female nudity. Half the scenes reminded me of producer Joel Silver's explosive, slam-bang, white-knuckled, testosterone-laden tales, such as "Conspiracy Theory," "Exit Wounds, "Swordfish," and his "Lethal Weapon" franchise. Indeed, Silver serves as one of the producers, and "Bullet to the Head" adheres to his formula. Meanwhile, action auteur Walter Hill drew the other half from his hardboiled melodramas. For the record, Hill helmed the two "48 Hrs" flicks with Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy, "Extreme Prejudice" with Nick Nolte, "Last Man Standing" with Bruce Willis, and "Red Heat" co-starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Belushi. Although "The Messenger" scenarist Alessandro Camon adapted the Alexis Nolent graphic novel "Du plomb dans la tête," "Bullet to the Head" looks like "48 Hrs" and/or "Red Heat" clone. Mind you, "Bullet to the Head" is Hill's first theatrical release since his gritty 2002 prison melodrama "Undisputed" with Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes. During his absence from the big screen, Hill helmed the premiere episode of HBO's "Deadwood," and then the television mini-series western "Broken Trail" (2006) costarring Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church." In many respects, this action-packed, largely straightforward, odd couple buddy picture compares favorably with earlier, exceptional Stallone sagas like "Assassins," "The Specialist," and "Demolition Man." Most definitely, it surpasses "Tango and Cash" and "Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot."

Cast as a seasoned hit-man in the Crescent City, Sylvester Stallone tangles with a mysterious cabal of Big Easy investors who have the New Orleans Police Department on their payroll. Director Walter Hill has juggled the occupations of the protagonists from his earlier buddy picture epics. The cop was always the lead in the combo in the "48 Hrs" movies and "Red Heat." This time around, world-weary, career criminal James "Bobo" Bonomo (Sylvester Stallone of "Rocky") is the lead, while saintly, Washington, D.C. Detective Taylor Kwon (Sung Kang of "Fast & Furious") behaves rather naively and relies too much on his cell phone. Ironically, the two men want to exact vengeance for the deaths of their former partners. They agree to form an uneasy alliance, but Kwon's conscience prompts him to constrain Bonomo. These two don't immediately run into each other. When the plot unfolds, Bonomo and his partner Louis Blanchard (Jon Seda of "Bad Boys 2") masquerade as cops to snuff a cocaine-snorting thug, Hank Greely (Holt McCallany of "Fight Club"), in a motel room. Bonomo spots a tattooed prostitute cowering in the shower, but he lets her live. This amoral murderer draws the line at shooting women. When he is behind the wheel on the road, he swerves to avoid stray cats in front of him. "It's bad luck," he assures Louis. These two show up at a crowded bar where they are supposed to pick up the balance of their loot for the shooting. Before either realizes they have been double-crossed, another assassin, Keegan (Jason Momoa of "Conan"), stabs poor Louis repeatedly to death in front of everybody. He wields a small blade to hack both of Louis' lungs so nobody in the noisy bar knows a murder has occurred. Keegan isn't quite as lucky with Bonomo. Now, Bonomo wants payback. Our hero crosses paths with a hard-nosed, Washington, D.C. police detective who is visiting New Orleans. As it turns out, Hank Greely was his former partner in Washington. Kwon wants the people who ordered Hank's demise. Sure, neither Bonomo nor Kwon have much use for each other initially, but they kind of grow on one other as they survive back-to-back fracases.

Hill stages some gripping shoot-out scenes that genre fans will savor, and you get to see Silver's trademark Ka-Boom explosions! Hill never lets the narrative bog down in aimless chatter or an over elaborate plot. Stallone's character provides deadpan narration throughout the pyrotechnics so you never take anything seriously in "Bullet to the Head." "Bullet to the Head" is not unlike a Tarantino thriller. Camon and Hill wrap up everything, but leave room for a sequel since the hero's daughter and the D.C. cop are dating. At 66 years of age, Sylvester Stallone appears as fit as a fiddle. This is the kind of movie where guys shed shirts and clash muscles. He channels a little bit of "Rocky" in his tongue-in-cheek performance. The ax fight between beefy, muscle-bound Jason Momoa and Stallone has been carefully edited to present both to maximum advantage. You know Stallone is going to triumph, but Momoa doesn't make it look easy. Momoa makes a lusty villain. No less villainous is Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as a crippled, African investor has no qualms about murder. Christian Slater appears briefly as a smarmy swindler with a flash drive around his neck that boasts the goods of everybody. The interrogation scene is pretty amusing. Clocking in at a lean, mean, 97 minutes, "Bullet to the Head" doesn't wear out its welcome. You don't even have to wait around to see what's after the end credits so you can clear out early. Were it not for the pedigree talent involved, "Bullet to the Head" would qualify at best as a seven-star rather than a ten-star movie. If you still like Stallone, you'll love "Bullet to the Head" because it is worth shelling out the bucks to watch this Spartan saga.