IMDb > "Adventure Time" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Adventure Time" More at IMDbPro »"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake" (original title)

Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not what you might be expecting (Unless you're expecting greatness)

Author: BadSurge from United States
16 April 2014

On the surface, "Adventure Time with Finn and Jake" seems like a oddly animated show, full of weirdness. It took me a year or so to really give it a chance.

Once I did, I was amazed. The characters are silly and the jokes are quirky (Two things I normally do not care for. At all.), but the show has an intermittent complexity that will astound you. Not just the adventures of the titular characters, Jake and Finn, but much of the history of Ooo (The land where they live). Involved majorly in the show are the Ice King, played with hilarious gusto by Spongebob himself Tom Kenny, and Marceline the Vampire Queen, played by the musically talented Olivia Olsen. I won't give away too much, but the more you learn about those two, the harder this show will pull on your heart-guts. For a show that relishes in being immature, the maturity it often displays is poignant and effective.

The incredibly talented Rebecca Sugar was the show's storyboard artist for the last few years, and composed almost twenty songs for the soundtrack. They are cutesy songs, but some manage to be catchy and surprisingly powerful.

Don't just watch one episode and judge the show. Many, many episodes are quite different from one another, and the appeal is much wider than you might expect.

A good episode to watch for an example the incredible writing of "Adventure Time" is the season three episode "Thank You". Or, the season two episode "It Came From the Nightosphere", which was an Emmy nominated episode.

If music is your thing, and your a fan of Neil Patrick Harris or Donald "Childish Gambino" Glover, watch the alternate reality episodes "Fionna and Cake" (season three) and "Bad Little Boy" (season 5).

Don't miss out on Adventure Time. The dialogue, the music, and the awesome world are truly unforgettable. It's been called the greatest science fiction show on television right now (IndieWire). I'm inclined to agree.

A children's show that adults can enjoy

Author: Josh Martin
15 August 2013

Adventure time is that rare blend of brilliant animation, compelling story, and hilarious(often poignant) episode plots that can elude even the best animated shows. The animation is approachable enough that the youngest viewers will be captivated by the vivid colors and unique characters like the lovable B-Mo, a cute little thing that resembles an old school Nintendo Gameboy. Their parents however will be treated to sly humor such as a character singing the theme song to "Cheers" to keep himself from giving in to the insidious power of his crown. There are some images that may frighten very young viewers, after all, the show is set in a post-apocalyptic world that is eerily similar to our own with the exception that the Land of Ooo is populated with vampires, witches, eccentric kings, and all manner of magical beasts(talking candy and baked goods, unicorn rainbows, your imagination was never so fully realized). Everything that the young adventurer Finn needs to keep me in anticipation of my next 15 to 30 minute journey to Ooo. Creator Pendelton Ward has made one of those rare works that has not only huge laughs but an even bigger heart.

Brilliant show

Author: Luke Daniel Jones from Wales
15 February 2013

People may look at this show how I did at first and say, oh its just another children's cartoon, but it isn't. Adventure Time seems to be set a lot more than a 1000 years in the future, apparently there was a mushroom war which left a huge chunk cut out of the planet and nearly wiped humanity off the planet. In the show the cartoon is inhabited by strange creatures and 'Finn the human' seams to be the only human left in Ooo. It took me about 5 episodes to start liking it properly, but I've watched every episode and I loved them all. The fun heroic and humorous ways of the characters really does make me smile and for that this is definitely in my top 10 TV shows.

It's Mathematical!

Author: JMIDmv2 from Philippines
16 September 2012

Overall, the show is great. There are 2 main series and many sub-series that makes the show more curious of. For example, the episode "Susan Strong" and "Beautopia" tells us that Finn is not the only Human in the land of Ooo. Then there's the Lich and Flame Princess W/Princess Bubblegum in the main story that makes the Show Thrilling and Exiting to watch. There are also some main characters like Marceline and LSP(Lumpy Space Princess) which takes the Show in to a new meaning. The Antagonists like The Lich and ice king really help the show to have that That certain Some series may be boring but overall It is MATHEMATICAL! getting really addicted at the show even though I'am only 16. Caution: The show is not really for very young audiences.

Its a little overrated but its good enough

Author: Arc_Reviews
30 November 2016

A few amazing episodes in its time on TV. The art style is unique and the show just breathes and lives cartoon weirdness. At its best you'll get adventure story arc and perhaps witty dialouge and memorable characters maybe a musical number or two.

I think the show can get a little dull. My problem is not that these episodes are filler. Not every episode has to advance a story to be good the big popular example being Spongebob which had absolutely no continunity yet was entertaining enough to stand multiple viewing and still be enjoyable. The later few seasons pump out really great episodes once in a while, but the bulk of the filler stuff from the newer season is dull and many of these episodes have strange unclear messages with vauge interpretations.Its more of a soap opera without quirky dialouge or decent action to carry it.

A Decline in the Show

Author: SJtheCartoonAddict
20 November 2016

So, before the more recent episodes, I adored everything about Adventure Time. Great story, beautiful backgrounds and animation, funny characters, but now it's become stale.

I don't HATE it or anything, but it's boring as of recently. They focus more on random side characters they came up with than the actual main characters now, with episodes about Lemonhope, Root Beer Guy and Cherry Cream Soda, that one witch, and they do this to the point where the original plot development that the show once had kind of disappeared. Because as the side characters all seem to have some connection with some plot, it takes it nowhere because they aren't all that important. The silly and funny dialogue has been replaced with these random characters mostly talking to themselves about their issues. And these are the QUALITY new episodes, just unoffensive enough to pass as decent, but boring enough to keep it from greatness.

The real issue is the episodes concerning the main characters. While some episodes are good overall they've lost the original charm. The quick paced humor and funny quips the characters used to deliver are both thrown aside to something boring being said among themselves. The interesting plots, serious or not, are no longer interesting. One episode was just about Finn playing with some cats and Jake trying to get a chip out of his teeth. Wow. Fascinating.

Whatever once made each character super likable isn't really there anymore. Finn is no longer silly and reckless with a good heart, he's just someone who sort of does stuff to help others. Jake isn't much like a lazy, funny big brother with wise advice so much as just a dad now. Princess Bubblegum isn't a sweet, responsible princess who goes ruthless when angered, she's all business who's also "the smart one". Marceline is... well, she's still the same but a little less interesting.

All the things that we grew to love from the characters has been toned down and when they're put into certain situations, they're no longer funny or interesting or even really cool. This mixed with all the side plots and random new characters makes the show very boring now, which is probably why it's been replaced with Teen Titans Go! as the new beloved mascot now. At least TTG has some variety and eye catching plots, bad or not.

However, the show isn't BAD. The art is still wonderful, the story is more or less decent, and some main characters like Ice King actually have developed into something complex and deep while his overall character still is the silly old fool we all know and love. Not all the new episodes are stale because some have the same charm as before, or maybe they just kept going in the direction they are now and did it right. Episodes like Betty and The Tower are really amazing to me.

I'd give this show a 6.5/10.

Fabulous cartoon that effectively has no limits on its creativity.

Author: John William H. from Australia
24 September 2016

Adventure Time is colourful, fun, wacky as sh##, hilarious and full of sexual subtexts. This is easily one of Cartoon Network's best works to come in recent years; and just like Steven Universe it has lots in store not just for kids but adults as well. The characters and story-lines are so far and wide yet perfect for such an outlandish world like Adventure Time's.

As a fan of animation, Adventure Time obviously lacks some things other shows may have (such as animated nostrils on human[-like] characters), but I can forgive it for creating such memorable stories and characters that stick with you after you've watched just a single episode of the show, and that's what good television is supposed to do for the viewer: leave you wanting more and being absolutely-satisfied.

Incredible Show! By far the best I have seen in years on Cartoon Network!

Author: pwndclone from United Kingdom
18 May 2015

I cannot describe in words how incredible this TV show is. In my 17 years of existence have I never been this emotionally wrapped and attached to such as beautiful TV show as Adventure Time.

The show is about a 14 year old boy named Finn Mertens who lives in a treehouse in the middle of nowhere with his talking dog, Jake, who can stretch his body into anything he likes. The two are best friends and go on adventures throughout the Land of Ooo. The Ice King, is their main nemesis and he notorious for kidnapping princesses like Finn and Jake's friend, Princess Bubblegum, the monarch of the Candy Kingdom.

The show is full of so many one-liners, inside jokes, and just plain old slapstick humour which one of the main reasons to why the show has had so much success over the past 5 years. Finn and Jake almost have their own "lingo" of different puns and jokes to express how their feeling whether they're in the dumps or just plain psyched for the upcoming adventure. It saddens me to see now in 2015, that Finn is all grown up like me and never uses those same catchphrases like "Mathematical" and "Shmowzow" and he never sings in computer voice anymore. That is one of things that I would like to see be improved for the better future of the show.

The background and animations of the show are beautiful and very eloquently done, shoutout to the animators at Frederator Studios who have done such a wonderful job with producing this show and to Pen Ward, the creator, for coming up with such an incredible world of imagination.

I have heard a lot of reviews from people and most people say that the show "is for people that are on acid trip" (I do not do any sort of drugs myself). For me it is more than just a show, this is a definition of my childhood. I am seventeen and ever since I was in the fifth grade, I watched the pilot on YouTube and from then on I have been totally enveloped in this amazing show and I hope to see this show succeed even more in the future.

High re-watch value. From laughter to tears.

Author: pogopuggie from Australia
9 February 2015

It is abstract and charming, a show filled with innocence and childish ambivalence in a slightly more sinister setting. It is unusual to find entertainment so absolutely fun that lends such detailed consideration to character psychology.

Reigning as one of my favorite shows and instant recommendation to anyone who will listen, I hope Adventure Time will be renewed and in production for years to come.

At the time of this review season 6 was coming to a close, and Adventure Time has long strayed from the joviality that brought it such widespread success. The sixth season contains some of the worst and best that Adventure Time has to offer. Dark and dismal, even the episodes seemingly written to lighten the mood or simply act as c- list character world-building fodder are overcast by trauma. Like a coming of age story gone awry, it is as if we are watching the slow destruction of characters as they sink in to depression while the world around them flickers in a bipolar fluorescence. Those viewers to fall for the spirit of the first seasons are unlikely to last as the heartbreak becomes ever heavier.

Stupid, but enjoyably stupid

Author: Black-or-White
25 July 2014

Adventure Time is very awesome and stupid at the same time. When I say stupid, I mean ENJOYABLY stupid, just like Uncle Grandpa (Even thought I'm a HUGE fan of Uncle Grandpa, I have to say, it's as good as Adventure Time). Adventure Time is probably the highest rated Cartoon Network show (Pretty soon, it's gonna reach a 9/10). The lowest rated episode is only a 5.6/10, like The Cleveland Show got (It's also stupid, but enjoyably stupid). So flip all you haters, you should all be happy this show got an 8.8/10. I can't wait until it raises up to Rick and Morty's rating (It got a NINE POINT THREE out of 10, how is THAT possible?! I had NO idea that much people liked that show).