IMDb > "Adventure Time" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Adventure Time" More at IMDbPro »"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake" (original title)

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Smart enough for adults

Author: bregund from San Francisco
1 April 2012

I am consistently surprised at how well written this show is; it takes a lot for me to become dedicated to a TV show, to the point where I watch every episode. Though this show is just as bizarre as Pee Wee's Playhouse or anything from Sid and Marty Krofft, its strength lies in its consistency and continuity, its identifiable humanity, its striking contrasts, and its irreverent, multi-level humor.

I wouldn't call this a children's show, since a lot of the one-liners are obviously aimed at adults. There are certain scenes that I have rewound to watch several times because they are so fresh and new, bringing to mind the observational humor of Gary Larson; for example, in one episode, a small bird lands on a window sill. When you expect it to chirp, instead it makes a sound like an alarm clock. This particular episode (about a snow goblin?) it so well written and animated that it should be in the museum of modern art. We see the goblin getting up in the morning, adjusting his eye, putting on a circle of sticks, and eating a bowl filled with a pear and acorns. It sounds strange, but the way the action plays out is such an odd but charming parallel to everyone's morning routine that you can't help smiling.

For anyone who wants to see a completely and fully formed world, filled with characters who develop from one episode to the next just like a non-animated program, and writing better than any reality show, check out Adventure Time. It's not just for kids!

Anyone who needs some Understanding, Read this

Author: saintbeacon from United States
16 September 2014

There was a time when I disliked this show. Now, I view it as one of the best animated series of all time, and one of the most creatively and boldly non-pandering shows in cartoon history, and this is why:

Adventure Time does not pander to traditional or accessible story structures, payoffs, exposition, or plot constructs. It does not use traditional or accessible cartoon character archetypes. It does not use traditional or accessible humor. It does not use traditional music or voice-acting. It doesn't even always use traditional emotions or dialogue. As a result, the show feels more original than anything else seen on cartoon network since Samurai Jack. Much like Samurai Jack, this show is very immersing and has a style all its own.Also like Samurai Jack, the show takes place in a strange world, where almost anything can happen, or any kind of character can show up, and it will still feel believable and consistent. Recommended for anyone who is into experimental storytelling and music. In fact, most of the soundtrack consists of formless ambient music or IDM.

Nothing about this show feels forced or phony. There are no traditional payoffs or unneeded exposition. There are lots of silent moments and strange scenes that do nothing but establish the characters and their varying types of insanity. There's lots of dialogue that can be taken a number of ways. There are no trumpet-blasts or dinky piano tunes to let the viewer know when he should laugh or be excited. The show makes it YOUR job to be entertained. It's like going to visit another world and have fun watching these characters live their day-to-day lives. No, better yet, it's like being a man from one- thousand years ago watching our daily lives. He finds them a novelty, and is intrigued, but he does not understand everything we do, or the way we talk. The characters in this show will not stop to explain anything for the benefit of the audience. For them, most of the weirdness is just commonplace. They know more than we do, but they have no reason to tell us what they know. If you are used to shows with super-tight writing where everything is conveyed to the audience, look elsewhere. This is a more challenging, atmospheric sort of show.

That being said, this is also one of the only cartoons that has succeeded in making me cry multiple times. As a warning, you will not like every episode. You may not even like every season. I don't, and unless you have very broad tastes, you won't. This show has numerous fans who like it for totally different reasons. Some are their for the back-stories and mythos, some for the adventure episodes, some for the comedy, some for the romance plots, and some for the tragedies. This show does basically everything.

Animation: Minimal, using bright colors and simple, easy designs. The animation may seem lackluster, but it's a pretty immersing style if you give it the chance, and some of the art direction and creativity is admirable. The simple style allows for an endless amount of characters, backgrounds, and stories without too much expense needed. The colors and production value get better over the course of the show. They won't look the best in the first few episodes.

Characters: The characters here are diverse and numerous. Some of the them are annoying, but most of them have depth and dimension that will slowly reveal itself over the course of the show. Many of them are immature, and most of them are insane to varying degrees, but they often have to make hard decisions or go through strange dilemmas. Anyone who SEEMS like typical archetypes will prove otherwise. My expectations were challenged by some of them. Simon Petrikov is my favorite character. Writing and Storytelling: As I said, this is a low-conveyance show. The stories are done in a freestyle, storyboard-driven manner. The writers seem to draw from Nintendo- style fantasy games like "The Legend of Zelda" or the "Paper Mario" series. The early episodes are a bit more focused on simple fun, randomness, and adventure, but things don't get interesting (for me at least) until the show reveals its true colors a bit later on. Pieces start to come together, and the viewer realizes that the randomness actually isn't as random as he might think. Without spoiling much, let's just say that the world of Ooo has a bittersweet back-story to it that makes the show infinitely more interesting once they start hinting at it. Some of the individual characters also have mysterious, semi-disturbing origins. It's what made me curious in the first place. The show deals with its various characters and plot threads at a respectable pace, often juggling many at once and becoming more complex. The "Billy's Bucket List/Wake Up/Escape from the Citadel" three- parter is what I would recommend for people who want to see the show do some more tight, well-crafted writing. This series features passage of time, continuity, and the aging of characters.

Audio: The deadpan, naturalistic voice acting can be either welcoming, or annoying, depending on the viewer or character. I like how the casting is handled. Music is experimental electronica. Musical numbers sound realistically unrehearsed, which makes them more heartfelt when used in episodes like "I Remember You" and "Lemonhope Story".

You don't have to like the show, but I at least want it to be acknowledged for the risks it takes and the creativity it encourages. People who have worked on the show have gone on to make other series like that are good for similar reasons and have helped give Frederator and Cartoon Network more of an identity again, bringing them more respect from longtime fans. Also, to warn you, this show is surprisingly not for young kids. Make sure you're at least around 12 before you watch it. Trust me.

Adventure Time Should be President.

Author: himynameisanthony34 from United States
26 May 2012

When i watch Adventure Time, I feel very warm inside like on Christmas morning. Its like totes the best show on the television. Adventure Time is very inspiring and very very awesome. I think that Adventure Time will inspire the newer generation to have fun and go on adventures and save princesses. Adventure Time should be voted president. I do understand that some people will not enjoy Adventure Time and be as passionate about it as I am, but that is mostly because those people have bad taste. I especially enjoy the bright colors and simple illustration in Adventure Time, and I guess that that is something that can turn people off of the show because they want their cartoons to look like complicated video games or Avatar or something. I also enjoy the humor in Adventure Time and its very clever and witty. Sometimes it can be inappropriate but whatevs. I love Adventure Time so much that i am strongly considering marrying it if at all possible.

A Soon-To-Be Timeless Classic

Author: LegendaryTater900 from United States
24 September 2014

There are three kinds of people in the world: People who love 'Adventure Time', people who haven't given it much though or aren't huge fans of it, and people that complain about the "good 'ol days" of Cartoon Network.

I've only gotten into the show quite recently, but I remember way back in 2010 seeing the advertisements of young Finn fighting the villainous Ice King and thinking "Huh, this looks different", and not thinking about it a second more.

As I got older, my tastes in television lied upon the characters, how well-written they were and complex and all that. When a friend told me that the characters of 'Adventure Time' were just what I was looking for, I was skeptical at first, but also curious.

An evening of learning about this "Mushroom War" and watching clips of a vampire girl singing about her true feelings towards an old friend, a rainbow unicorn telling her canine partner that she's pregnant, and a video game device pretending that its human, and I was convinced to give the show a fair shake.

I honestly don't think this show is given enough credit. In just eleven minutes 'Adventure Time' utilizes what its given to craft (most of the time) very fleshed out and clever narratives; I hear all the time how people say there's a lot of "pointless episodes" and only a couple "meaningful" ones, but I'm inclined to disagree.

'Adventure Time' doesn't need to sole narrative to be good; it's more of just a series of sub-plots revolving around different characters, more in recent seasons than early ones (which I'm inclined to say are pretty weak until season 3). And not only that, but there's almost not a single episode in this series that isn't referenced later on; it just keeps building and building a more fleshed-out world, and that's what the recent season 6 has been trying to do. The Land of Ooo doesn't revolve around Finn and Jake, and that's what I love about this show the most I think. Everybody is messed up, from the insanity-driven Magic Man to Princess Bubblegum and her incredibly grey morals and actions.

And the characters change throughout the series too; Finn has gone from a screaming, spastic 12-year-old to a surprisingly reserved but still passionate 16-year-old over the course of the series, and Marceline has gone from an anti-hero with a heart of steel to a girl that's a lot more comfortable about sharing her feelings, at least with her newly-acquired mortal friends. On top of that, the dialogue is also something special. A lot of the time, the show manages to have these characters act and converse with one another in such a way that it sounds like the voice actors are actually having a real conversation with each other, and that really goes a long way for me at least.

As far as the animation goes, I actually loved the simplistic character designs from the start, as I found them to be quite charming; plus it fits the show's overall "growing up" feel, like 'Calvin and Hobbes.' But as simple as they are, this show has a huge cast of character, almost as large as the Simpsons' probably, and each and every one of them looks different from another. That, and the background of this show are beautifully detailed if you ever find yourself looking at them.

This really is one of those shows that only comes around once in a lifetime. It's simple enough on the surface for a preteen audience, but also a little complex and even thought-provoking a lot of the time for the adults, with some subtle writing and character moments that all pile up into one mathematical show.

Give the entire series a watch; you don't know what you've been missing, or at least not seeing when writing it off as a simple mindless show.

A great show

Author: Stephen Holmes from Australia
7 February 2014

At first I didn't get Adventure Time. I was confused, and everywhere I went when I saw the hype, I even got a little aggravated. "Why is everybody worshipping a silly kid's cartoon?!" I wanted to scream. I watched the first few episodes and didn't quite get into it, but then something amazing happened.

I started to enjoy it. Adventure time seems, at first glance, to be a silly child's show, but really it is entertaining to people of all ages. It features many hilarious jokes and good story lines, and it has good continuity. It has an enormous, fantastical world, created by an imaginative and talented mind. It has good voice actors, and is all round a fun show to watch. I am a teenager (or was last week) and I didn't care much for it when I started. But if you stick with it, I find it hard to believe you will not come to love it, and you will have the only complaint with it that I do. Why are the episodes so short, and why aren't there more of them!

Stay classy, people. Steve

The Best Modern Cartoon

Author: Jane_the_Ripper from United States
7 October 2013

Let's face it, most modern cartoons suck. Even Spongebob has become obnoxious drivel. Among current children's programming, Adventure Time stands out. The show follows the last living human, Finn, and his best friend, a magic dog named Jake, in a post- apocalyptic world. What sets Adventure Time head and shoulders above other cartoons of this decade is character development. Over the series, we've seen Finn grow and mature, we've seen Jake journey into fatherhood, and we've seen the multiple facets of Princess Bubblegum, Marceline the Vampire Queen, and the Ice King. Of course, there is plenty of random, off the cuff humor as well. Whatever your age, Adventure Time is one of the best things on TV right now.

Strange, but Good

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
23 September 2010

"Adventure Time" is yet another strange show delivered by Cartoon Network, in the same line of "Chowder" and "FlapJack". However, despite being pretty strange and surreal, I liked it, mostly because it parodies many archetypes of the fantasy stories.

The best part of this show was the animation: It might look pretty simple, but it is actually pretty fluid and original, with stylish designs and expressive characters. And that is much better than many horrible shows made with Flash Animation in the recent years, at least for me.

"Adventure Time" is a weird, but in a good way. I liked it, and I hope that Cartoon Network keep making shows as this.

Fresh & surprising every time

Author: clintonkeep from United States
15 February 2011

Since Cartoon Network decided to cancel a lot of really great cartoons, Adventure time really makes up for the loss. Every episode is a psychedelic and humorous. It catches me off-guard every time. The characters are adorable, creative and charming, no two are the same. The simplicity of the animation is overlooked due to the clever humor. Okay sometimes even the humor is simple but placed at just the right moment. I've never enjoyed a cartoon more than this. It's even better than Flapjack which at first glance seems to mimic, but no, it's totally different.

I've loved cartoons since the 70's and I rarely rate them as 10 but this one to me is fresh and surprising every time. I think any age would love this cartoon.

Incredible Show! By far the best I have seen in years on Cartoon Network!

Author: pwndclone from United Kingdom
18 May 2015

I cannot describe in words how incredible this TV show is. In my 17 years of existence have I never been this emotionally wrapped and attached to such as beautiful TV show as Adventure Time.

The show is about a 14 year old boy named Finn Mertens who lives in a treehouse in the middle of nowhere with his talking dog, Jake, who can stretch his body into anything he likes. The two are best friends and go on adventures throughout the Land of Ooo. The Ice King, is their main nemesis and he notorious for kidnapping princesses like Finn and Jake's friend, Princess Bubblegum, the monarch of the Candy Kingdom.

The show is full of so many one-liners, inside jokes, and just plain old slapstick humour which one of the main reasons to why the show has had so much success over the past 5 years. Finn and Jake almost have their own "lingo" of different puns and jokes to express how their feeling whether they're in the dumps or just plain psyched for the upcoming adventure. It saddens me to see now in 2015, that Finn is all grown up like me and never uses those same catchphrases like "Mathematical" and "Shmowzow" and he never sings in computer voice anymore. That is one of things that I would like to see be improved for the better future of the show.

The background and animations of the show are beautiful and very eloquently done, shoutout to the animators at Frederator Studios who have done such a wonderful job with producing this show and to Pen Ward, the creator, for coming up with such an incredible world of imagination.

I have heard a lot of reviews from people and most people say that the show "is for people that are on acid trip" (I do not do any sort of drugs myself). For me it is more than just a show, this is a definition of my childhood. I am seventeen and ever since I was in the fifth grade, I watched the pilot on YouTube and from then on I have been totally enveloped in this amazing show and I hope to see this show succeed even more in the future.

High re-watch value. From laughter to tears.

Author: pogopuggie from Australia
9 February 2015

It is abstract and charming, a show filled with innocence and childish ambivalence in a slightly more sinister setting. It is unusual to find entertainment so absolutely fun that lends such detailed consideration to character psychology.

Reigning as one of my favorite shows and instant recommendation to anyone who will listen, I hope Adventure Time will be renewed and in production for years to come.

At the time of this review season 6 was coming to a close, and Adventure Time has long strayed from the joviality that brought it such widespread success. The sixth season contains some of the worst and best that Adventure Time has to offer. Dark and dismal, even the episodes seemingly written to lighten the mood or simply act as c- list character world-building fodder are overcast by trauma. Like a coming of age story gone awry, it is as if we are watching the slow destruction of characters as they sink in to depression while the world around them flickers in a bipolar fluorescence. Those viewers to fall for the spirit of the first seasons are unlikely to last as the heartbreak becomes ever heavier.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]