IMDb > "Adventure Time" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Adventure Time" More at IMDbPro »"Adventure Time with Finn & Jake" (original title)

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the best things on TV at the moment

Author: poke_a_polk from United States
25 April 2010

I first saw Adventure Time on youtube some years ago. Now it's TV show. I loved it when it was a one-shot video. And I love each episode I've seen on Cartoon Network even more.

Yes, the characters are silly. Yes, there is a fair amount of "OMG, that's so random!" going on. But while shows like Chowder may fail at times using this model, Adventure Time succeeds.

It does so thanks to wonderful voice acting, clever dialog and most of all, unusually mature themes. Not in a risqué sense, but...it doesn't rely on cookie cutter stories and it's comfortable leaving some endings ambiguous. It's also comfortable making characters believable (despite its fantasy setting).

This show is deserves attention.

Every Bit As Great as We Hoped

Author: Brandon (Nnnk_@hotmail.com) from United States
16 April 2010

"It's Adventure Time! C'mon grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands. With Jake the Dog and Finn the Human the fun will never end. It's Adventure Time!" Adventure Time was an animated short made by Pen Ward and his team a few years back. The short was full of comedy, off the wall jokes, chocked full of hilarious one-liners and even an entertaining fight scene. And now, years later it is a full blown television series. The only thing people were concerned about was that the adaption could never live up to the original.

Well I'm here to say it has. In. Every. Aspect.

The only thing different is the characters and world have been expanded upon, and Penn's name is now Finn.

Adventure Time with Finn and Jake is Cartoon Network's newest cartoon. Similarly to the pilot, it is full to the brim with humor (some which is directly aimed at the adult audience, THANK GOD) There are still many one liners (most of which have been stolen from the pilot but I'm hoping that as the series goes on this will diminish. The music isn't very memorable, but it isn't supposed to be. It's a show about Finn, Jake and all of their friends and the stupid situations they find themselves in.

Cartoon Network has finally found a gem, and I hope for their sake that they keep this show running and start funding more shows like this instead of obviously cheap-made flash cartoons (Johnny Test anyone?) It is a show like this that was needed to get CN back on top, and I hope it'll stay that way What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!

It's perfect

Author: yandow_2005 from United States
30 June 2010

I got caught up in this while my daughters were watching it in the other room.

I don't generally watch television, much less cartoons.

I was shocked to find that this children's cartoon is the closest thing to the reality of this existence I have yet seen.

A quantum existence constructed of conscious belief, where everything is nothing more than a test.

This is one cartoon I do not mind letting my children watch. I actually have considered using it to teach adults scientific concepts they have a very hard time grasping. The physical reality of this existence is much stranger than anything fiction can come up with. Gamma wave energy frequencies forming particles half the time, and us creating a reality based upon what we believe, then being constantly tested to learn the lessons we need to.

This show is awesome

Author: kitliptrot from United States
16 April 2010

I love it. I think this show is very creative and imaginative. The characters, the writing, and the setting is awesome. I love the character designs and the dialog is hilarious. This shows not perfect, but I think it's better than some of the shows that Cartoon Network is currently airing.

I can understand that everyone has their own opinions, and I respect that. But the review that was previously posted here I didn't think was fair. I think the one who posted that review didn't either watch the show all the way through, or has no sense of humor or a creative imagination.

This show just started, so I can't really say much about it. But so far I think it's good. And if my review doesn't convince you, there are plenty of reviews out there online about this show that you can read, and so far this show has gotten good ones.

One of the Best Shows of This Generation

Author: FilmFreak94 from United States
28 September 2011

Adventure Time is the story of an almost normal 12-13 year old human boy named Finn, and his magical dog Jake(voiced by John Di Maggio). They live in the enchanted land of Ooo and have many strange adventures exploring dungeons, saving princesses(most commonly Princess Bubblegum of the Candy Kingdom)and meeting many strange inhabitants of the world, some friendlier than others.

The plot sounds simple enough, but Adventure Time is one of the most surreal kid's shows to come out of Cartoon Network for a long time. And I love every minute of it.

While I find the earlier episodes of the show ranged from good to OK, the later episodes got really great with the animation and jokes improving as the series went on. The characters are all very likable with unique personalities and quite a few have very memorable and hilarious one-liners. Every time I sit down and watch this show, I am greatly entertained.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone though. While some, like me, may like the surreal appeal others may not. I don't recommend this show to the younger audience(younger then 8) as this show may unintentionally give them nightmares at times. Parents more used to family friendly cartoons may also not like the jokes geared towards the older crowd(and trust me there's a lot of them).

Either way, this show has great writing, animation, voice acting everything to me is near perfection. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a different kind of kid show.

I love this show.

Author: Th3Cure from United States
30 September 2011

Adventure time is a strange animal. It's on cartoon network. Not adult swim; but on during the regular hours. The shows target audience is children. But nonetheless, this show is the best cartoon I've ever seen. I saw the pilot a couple years back and finally saw the show and i was blown away.

Adventure Time does not teach lessons per se. It starts off supposedly trying to teach you something, but instead saysscrew it and veers off into AWESOME. Its random, hilarious, and perfect. The characters are messed up in the best way possible. If any lesson can be taken from this show it's that nobody is perfect; everyone has their flaws. Everyone messes up, a lot. Everyone makes mistakes. Even though Finn is the only human in the show, everyone in the show makes human mistakes. It doesn't matter who or what you are, you're still going to mess up. But no matter what flaws you may have or how much you screw up, at the end of the day your friends will be there for you; especially when you're there for your friends.

If your friend is in trouble, destroy the problem with sword, song, reason, or love. I'd recommend this show for humans 1-200.

Not for everyone...but if it's for you, you'll love it

Author: vedasisme from United States
20 April 2010

There are some who say punchlines are better if you can't see them coming. One way to achieve this is to employ tangential humor, but you sometimes risk completely losing your audience. Pendleton Ward has proved that he has a formula for tangential humor, and so far the equations are working out.

Adventure Time's pilot aired in 2008, and since has collected a cult following on the internet. A boy and a shape-shifting dog save a bubblegum princess from an ice king...such a setting is delightfully fanciful, even for fantasy! For those who loved the original, there may be some differences that make you uncomfortable. For example, several of the voice actors are different, and the character designs are slightly altered. However, as long as you came for Pendleton Ward's brand of humor, you'll be more than satisfied.

Not everyone is going to like Adventure Time, however. There are many who simply have not been exposed to such an exotic type of humor, and so this show may frighten rather than entertain.

I'm sure, however, that the consensus is that Cartoon Network has improved it's show/success ratio by green-lighting Adventure Time with Finn and Jake.

Cartoons like this come once in a decade!

Author: Stephen Moir from Edinburgh, Scotland
22 September 2010

I very rarely find anything on TV or in film that makes me laugh as frequently and unexpectedly as this show. Adventure Time is a well needed breath of life into cartoons. What impresses me most is that the humour is very mature but unlike other shows of that nature, for example Ren & Stimpy, it's still completely for the children. That's where the magic lies. When watching you become a kid again, immersing you in the imagination all of us shared as a youngster.

The simple, but I think fantastic, hand drawn animation cements the feeling that this is no ordinary cartoon. It oozes with great characters and settings. Everything about Adventure Time shows all the love and care invested it by Pen Ward. I'd recommend this show to any cartoon lover and anyone who's still a kid at heart.

Adventure Time: Inventive, Imaginative, Algebraic, Timeless

Author: cryptastic from United States
21 July 2010

A few months ago, a friend of mine showed me a grainy YouTube video of the "Adventure Time" short that was shown on Nickelodeon. I immediately fell in love with the short and we began reading up all about since we just learned it was being adopted by Cartoon Network. What we found out and watched blew us away. The amount of thought and imagination put into this show is astounding. I have never remained entertained for an entire episode of a show before, let alone an entire season! The wild and wacky aspects are quite entertaining but also do not remove anything from the ongoing plot and story. We see how characters develop and even see how moral choices produce themselves to challenge the duo, Finn and Jake, along the way. Though they stumble, this imaginative and amazing (not to mention post-apocalyptic) world always seems to lead back to the path of righteousness which is exactly where this show is.

In short, this show is an anomaly among mediocrity. This is a seemingly limitless world of entertainment that does not merely dance around idiotic humor. This is a show that isn't afraid to have fun and toy around with the absurd to make its point. I applaud Pendleton Ward and his crew for flawlessly producing what I could easily call the most inventive and fun show I've ever watched.

The greatest TV show on cartoon network

Author: rickystickyman from Pan-dimensional
10 June 2011

First of all I really don't like cartoon network... or at least when they keep on showing stupid kid shows. This is what makes Adventure Time so special is that it is pretending to be a kid's show in appearance but in reality it is quite mature and isn't really for kids. All of the episodes I have seen are funny except for one. The characters are all likable and there seems to be a dark side to every character. Finn is the main character and is the ONLY human in the entire show. There are hints that this is the far future, and humanity was destroyed (you see destroyed cities under water, or a river of garbage). Finn is tries his best at being a good hero, but sometimes they he seems to hurt some innocent people. Jake is his side kick dog who is really great because his voice is perfect, and he is just laid back and relaxed. Princess Bubblegum is the good princess who Finn likes, and she is super smart and is ruler of the candy kingdom. She seems to have a dark side that appears every once in a while. The Ice King is a common protagonist. It bothers me that everyone hates him, and kind of attacks him for no reason. It is often seen that he steals princesses because he only wants to be happy, and basically the reason he does anything is because he is so lonely.

Some people may not like this show for its very smooth animation style. The animation is a bit cheap but it is sort of based off of video games and some Japanese animation. It is important to realize this show is trying to be weird. Some people do not appreciate its random and off the wall humor. Like where Finn is offered to run with wolves, so him and his vampire friend start running on all fours chasing wolves at night, and they start to look really scary and foam at the mouth. Finn starts biting the wolves and fighting them, and a whole bunch of random stuff. This entire scene is only about 30 seconds long and seems out of the blue. What makes this show great is also how something insanely funny will happen but it goes by so fast you won't notice it. Like when a friendly Peppermint candy does Jake and Finn a favor, and later he says "Well now I want your skin!" and Jake and Finn laugh at his joke and then he says "I will rip it off of you while you're asleep" and he gives a demonic smile. Their smiles fade quickly. Every episode has a funny ending which always makes you leave even a boring episode on a high note.

I cannot wait to see more of this show since I have seen every episode and it is a great show. Do not judge this show from only one or two episodes. Watch a lot of them and you will realize how great it is.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]