IMDb > The Hide (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hide

The Hide More at IMDbPro »

first class, this film deserves greater exposure

Author: phillip taylor (phil.taylor@fsmail.net) from United Kingdom
21 August 2009

A well crafted film that some may consider should be in play format tosh!!! not everyone can afford theatre prices.A well acted piece, with a good wordy script. The direction was atmospheric without cheap Hollywood shocks and gimmicks.This is the kind of film that goes back to British early film making. The actors selected for this film were well cast,i think this is well demonstrated in the speed the film was made both in studio and on set and the faultless performances produced.The camera work was excellent in picking the smallest of gestures IE Roy tunt's occasional pushing his glasses up the bridge of the nose added to the characters obsessional behaviour.The ending was well played out without over egging the pudding.A film that should be seen more than once to truly appreciate it.

I liked it!

Author: werbsj from United Kingdom
23 February 2009

I was not sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it, and it kept my attention throughout, despite the late hour. The writing was excellent, both actors were terrific and the film was beautifully shot. The film is full of tension without descending into cheap shocks.

I would say it is less 'Pinteresque' (as one reviewer said) than Sam Shepherdesque... as you carry on thinking about the characters and the things you learn about them long after the film is over.

The scenes of the lonely marshland and the distant birds are very atmospheric, too.

I hope it gets the success it deserves! It's great to see a British film, and I presume a low-budget one, with such promise.

Pretty darn good!

Author: roland-193 from United Kingdom
24 February 2009

I caught this on Film 4 one night, never heard of it before but i gotta admit i was pleasantly surprised by what i had just watched. I'm not gonna spoil the film for anyone with an in-depth review but it was amazing how much enjoyment you could get from watching 2 men talking about powertools and birdwatching whilst shacked up in a shed on the marshes. There is creepy tension that builds between the 2 men over the running of the film which might get a little predictable towards the end for some but there is no denying the appeal of both characters,especially Roy Tunt(a sort of twisted Alan Partrige). The movie only goes to show that you don't need a big cast or budget to make a riveting story as long as you've got good actors and a tight script.

An interesting, different and suspenseful film

Author: markmartin2305 from United Kingdom
2 March 2009

I watched this film tonight without any expectation and ended up very pleased by it.

It is different and eccentric, wonderfully atmospheric, a little slow to build, but delivers a splendid denouement.

It is certainly not a film for those who want pyrotechnics and prestidigitation.

It is dark, contains some excellent use of language, and some very funny (though admittedly obscurely so) moments.

The "twist" can be seen some little way off but that does not detract from the enjoyment of it and of the film - and the very best is saved for the very last piece of dialogue and really does drive the plot home. Sure I saw what was coming, but I didn't understand it to THAT extent.

In summary if you are WOWED/DULLED* by Hollywood's ever more SMART/CRASS* outpourings then this film IS CERTAINLY NOT/MOST CERTAINLY IS* for you.

* delete as appropriate.

Nicely acted under-stated little gem

Author: gtbarker
10 April 2011

I enjoyed this film a great deal. It was beautifully shot and on an obviously low budget, but the makers wrung out every ounce of value out of every penny. The two principles were excellent. Alex McQueen is already well known, but I hope to see more of the impressive Phil Campbell in future outings. Make no mistake this film is dark and slow and if you like noisy boring muscle-bound cgi stuff this film isn't for you, but if you like films that take their time and treat the audience as adults then it just might be. In my opinion we need more of the latter and far fewer of the former, but then again I'm old-fashioned and the story and character development come before flash, bang, wallop for me every time.

Thoroughly engaging

Author: c-cheetham from United Kingdom
1 February 2010

It's not my scene to write reviews of films and such though I couldn't help but leave a comment here.

In my opinion this film is a refreshing slap round the face for directors, actors, and viewers alike. The actors' screen presence is terrific, and accentuated by a fantastic script which is punctuated by a perfect amount of sub-script to let the viewer form their own opinion of where the film is going to go.

Perfectly paced and beautifully shot in its own macabre way I recommend this film to anyone who wants to see how a film should be made, showing that you don't need to have a lot to give a lot.

Acting Masterclass

Author: adamk-2 from London, England
16 September 2009

Roy, a somewhat retentive middle-aged loser, hunkers down in the eponymous hide --a birdwatching shed on the marshes -- apparently hoping to spot the one rare bird that has eluded him so far. Into his little haven comes lurching Dave, a towering, laconic figure with a secret. The two men warily circle each other as their respective pasts slowly unspool.

This is a wonderfully low-key little film with a wonderfully simple set-up that slowly but surely ratchets up the suspense as it goes along. What powers it so beautifully is the acting, which is just stunning. Phil Campbell, new to me, at first exudes weary menace which gradually gives way to a greater sadness, and Alex MacQueen, as Roy, deserves awards to be showered upon him for the performance he pulls off here. Better known for playing stuffy and/or supercilious characters on TV, here he plays Roy with a dweebishness and deadpan humour but keeps a deeper vein of underlying tension bubbling under before it erupts entirely. He manages to be both irritating, vulnerable, clueless, tragic and frightening all at the same time, and delivers some real laugh-out-loud moments amid the suspense.

Unfortunately, when the truth comes to the surface, the film begins to lose its power: The motives, once revealed, are outlandish and unconvincing and the film subsequently slips into the melodramatic. But, even then, the acting from both of them is never less than top-notch, the chemistry between them lights up the screen, and the finale, deftly delivered, stops the heart.

A solid debut from Marek Losey

Author: guitar_pete from United Kingdom
17 February 2009

I just watched this movie on Film4's British connection season and was surprised at how little recognition this film has received. The message board is bare, only 12 votes and no comments have been made so far, so I thought I'd make a deserved contribution.

I'll be honest: I was expecting something fairly mediocre and cheap-looking but I was very pleasantly surprised. It didn't look cheap at all with great cinematography of the Suffolk countryside and the general colour and tone of the film was perfect and felt really authentic.

Both actors do very well - especially considering the whole cast consists of just them. Phil Campbell's performance was occasionally quite wooden and unnecessarily clichéd as the 'mysterious dark stranger' character; but "occasionally" is a key word there, as he - with MacQueen - really shines toward the end. I was impressed with Alex MacQueen, especially as I've only ever seen him in very minor roles in various sitcoms such as "The Inbetweeners", but his character is complex and brilliantly pulled off.

The film starts off well and captivatingly with great dialogue in the interaction between the two leads, with mystery and suspense surrounding the two as 'Roy Tunt' is clearly intimidated somewhat by Dave. Unfortunately, the film then becomes rather slow until the last half an hour or so - and the clips of the crows feasting on flesh become tedious after a while. But "The Hide" climaxes with a surprising twist and a great dénouement revealing why both characters find themselves in this remote mudflat. The very final scene is a particular favourite of mine, ending on a sharply shocking note.

Overall, it's a decent little film, which is slow in parts but ultimately rewarding. A solid debut from Marek Losey.

7.5/10

Awesome awesome!!

Author: christinegupreet
6 December 2011

Saw this film on Filmfour one night and thought it was so good. It's got a really nice set up - a middle aged man with borderline OCD, who is waiting to see the last bird on his list. He is articulate and polite. He is joined by a rough, inner city northern guy, who looks a little banged up and dangerous. From here on is a tense game of back and forth with the power shifting between the two men as more layers are peeled away and they learn more about each other. The two actors command attention and are very engaging throughout. Marek Losey has delivered a tight, well paced and taught thriller which uses it's claustrophobic environment well to create a nervous watch.

And here's something completely different...

Author: Maz Murdoch (asda-man) from United Kingdom
10 June 2011

"The Hide" will split audiences in two. It's not well known because it's British, it's low budget and only uses two actors in the same place for the entire film. This may bore some people, but it may also captivate others. I'm a bit of both.

When I realised that the whole film was going to be in one room the whole time, I thought that they must use flashbacks or something like in "Saw" otherwise it could become as dull as "Conversation's With Other Women". To my surprise, no flashback's were used (unless you count the mild flicks of the crows) and it relied completely on conversation. Did I like this? Actually, yeah, I did. I admire brave film making and ideas, this is something that is rarely done and it does rarely work, but this time it did thanks to the funny dialogue it did become quite absorbing.

However, I did find myself nodding off in some moments, getting a bit fed up with the concept, that is until the surprise twist that immediately lifted the film off the ground, turning the last half-hour into a tense showcase with an ending that was clever and that I never saw coming. What good films do to the audience is lead them and then jump out, tricking them.

I must also comment on the look of the film, it looked fabulous with its gritty, drained colours that polluted the screen, it made the conversation atmospheric. This is a debut I believe and I can see this director doing a few hits after this one. The actors were great, I laughed out loud at times where the conversation was particularly amusing. "Conversations With Other Women". This is how it should be done.

The simplicity is interesting, I think that it would make an excellent play as it's all in "real time" and relies on only two actors. I can see a lot of people feeling restless, but I liked this enough to give it a 7/10. That's not too bad is it.