IMDb > Yogi Bear (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Not smarter or dumber than the average family movie, Yogi Bear is perfectly good, clean and harmless fun that the whole family can enjoy

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
22 December 2010

It's easy to slam a movie like "Yogi Bear"- just talk about how simplistic the script written by no less than three writers; or how childish the antics are of the titular character and his cautious sidekick, Boo-Boo; or even how repetitive pic-a-nic basket stealing gets. Yes, they are all fair observations of this live-action adaptation of the 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but I wouldn't go so far as to criticise the movie for these very traits.

If you've seen the Saturday morning cartoons, you'll find that this film actually stays extremely faithful to its source. In them, Yogi goes around doing perhaps one thing and one thing only- that's right, stealing pic-a-nic baskets and thinking to himself how he's "smarter than the average bear"- together with Boo-Boo, occasionally running into Jellystone National Park's head ranger Smith who yells at him for disturbing the peace.

We used to laugh at Yogi's foolish schemes (or at least I remember I did), so why is it so difficult to laugh at the same things all over again? Sure many of us who have enjoyed those cartoons may have grown up, but that's not a fault of the film, especially when those in the audience who were of the age when we were watching the cartoons were obviously having a great time.

Around the regular pic-a-nic stealing, writers Jeffrey Ventimilia, Joshua Sternin and Brad Copeland have spun an eco-friendly story of the unscrupulous town mayor (Andrew Daly) who aims to sell off Jellystone to the loggers to cover the city's deficit. Needless to say, it will be up to Ranger Smith, his love interest the nature documentarian Rachel (Anna Faris), and of course Yogi and Boo-Boo to save the day. Yes it's simple but the plot is just serviceable enough to be the glue this live-action treatment needs.

Ultimately, the stars of the show were always Yogi and Boo-Boo, and in this regard, both the voice actors and the animators have done a wonderful job. Dan Aykroyd does his best Daws Butler impersonation for Yogi Bear, most impressive for nailing his character's distinctive speech patterns. Just as outstanding is Justin Timberlake, clearly relishing the opportunity to disappear into the role of Boo-Boo, complete with the trademark nasal delivery. It's especially interesting to think how Timberlake sounds so uncannily like the classic Don Messick.

Director Eric Brevig (of 2008's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth") keeps the gags flying fast and furious, so even if some of the supposed verbal punchlines fall flat, there is always something visually appealing to hold your attention. An Oscar-nominated effects specialist, Brevig makes great use of the stereoscopy to deliver all sorts of visual gimmicks- whether something flying in your face or hurling you along- but it adds nicely to the fun.

And that's one word that sums up what it's all meant to be about- "fun", good clean harmless fun like how the cartoons were 40 years ago, and a trip down memory lane for those who have seen the originals. There'll be many tempted to ride the wave of criticism surrounding this movie, but if you know what you're in for, then "Yogi Bear" should just be the perfect family entertainment this holiday season.

Flawless big screen adaptation of Yogi for the fans

Author: John Accoun
13 January 2012

This movie fulfilled all the expectations I had. I grew up watching dubbed Yogi Bear cartoons and I am kind of a fan of that kind of humor. Simplistic yet profound in some way, and always with a very positive attitude. That is exactly what this movie delivers. Plain old simple jokes for everybody, kids and parents.

If, like myself, you're a fan of Yogi Bear you won't be disappointed. Indeed this was the best carton to big screen adaptation I've seen. If you didn't use to watch the cartoon, then I don't know what your expectations might be, but I noticed most of the people are expecting what this movie is not.

The movie is very laid back. Photography and scenes are also very fresh and so is the cast performance. The cast fits the characters very well and gets the job done, there's no intense dramatic dialogs, but keep in mind that this is kid movie. The interaction between Yogi (and his faithful friend Booboo) and Ranger Smith is the cornerstone of Yogi Bear. The are friends and enemies at the same time. This passes a very positive message to the kids and the movie does it in a very faithful way, just like it was done in the cartoons. The other most characteristic aspect Yogi is his obsession for human food. Again, that is well featured in the movie.

A disturbing yet positive thing about this movie is the realism of the Town Mayor character's personality. It's supposed to be a caricature, but is a very accurate one.

Finally, computer generated characters and living ones work very well on this movie. Unlike most of the movies that resource to this mix, the cartoon characters blend well with the rest of the scene.

Great entertainment for all the family with some classic Yogi jokes.

a worthy addition to a family DVD collection

Author: Twodude Review from South Jersey
8 January 2012

When reviewing a family movie, I look at it a few different ways: first, is it appropriate for my three kids; second, is it entertaining to me and my kids; and third, is there a decent storyline. I didn't see Yogi Bear in theaters and I am glad I didn't spend money, for a family of five, on tickets and concession items that go with taking my family to a big screen showing. However, I think this is one of the more appropriate and enjoyable family movies that I have seen in years. Yogi made me laugh and it was just long enough to keep my kids attention for the entire movie. The story line is basic and not to deep, which helps to keep the kids' attention. As a dad, I appreciate not having to explain everything to them and am able to enjoy the movie myself. I thought Dan Aykroyd's voice work on Yogi was over acted and made to sound like the cartoon I grew up on, but after a few scenes you get used to it. Justin Timberlake, as you would expect him to be, was funny voicing Boo Boo. Tom Cavanagh, as the abused Ranger Smith, was a clean cut likable character similar to the character he portrayed on the T.V. show ED, on which he starred. Anna Faris's part although limited, fit in the movie's overall context. T.J Miller, Nathan Corddry and Andrew Daly were entertaining fodder to Yogi's antics.

I watched this movie with my kids and I can't remember a part where at least one of them was not laughing. To me, that's all you can ask for in a family movie; no swearing, no violence, just good old fashioned Yogi Bear Fun. This is a movie that I will be buying for the collection.

Grade: A+

visit our site at www.twodudereview.com

Lovely and faithful to the original

Author: Karen Domingos from Dublin
12 February 2011

I am wondering why so many people come with criticism on this movie. First of all, this is a kids movie, based in a cartoon created in 1958. I watched that so many times, I am 24 years old and I still love watch it. I love the clear and simple jokes and how all the story goes around, well, I rather see Yogy Bear (movie or cartoon) than have to see aliens becoming children, robots, creatures that I never heard about. Because this is what keeps our kids on TV now days, when its not the video game. So, please, people that come to criticize, please, go find a movie where you find something interesting for yourselves. But don't come here with your awful words for something that makes so many kids laugh through decades. Its not fair, its not nice. Yogy bear will be in my memory forever and I am pleased that the movie made the best that could do.

Good Movie made for young kids

Author: fiiig99 from United States
28 December 2010

This movie is good. I liked the setting, kid friendly acting and it was very appropriate to bring a child to go watch and reasonably entertaining for an adult. I found yogi to be a good facsimile and though I will always prefer 2d animation I thought it was well done.

The plot is simple and easy enough to follow. The 2 faced nature of the politician is a good life lesson not to trust anyone who smiles too much. Andrew Daly as Mayor Brown was particularly well done and I found him quite funny and evil.

I felt Tom Cavanagh did fine as ranger smith and felt he was what you would expect. Someone who forgives easily and just wants to concentrate on the park and not the money.

I liked it, My 3 Year old daughter liked it and we had a good time watching it. I would have no problem recommending it to other families.

One of the Best Animated Movies I have Ever Seen

Author: american218 from United States
23 December 2010

I am too confident and proud to say that this is the best animated highly entertaining movie I have ever seen.I have to admit though that I am not so keen to watch Kids movies but YOGI BEAR IS quite interesting with comedy and a great adventure that will never make you feel bored. You have to see this movie to believe that it is among the best. Hanna Barbera had been and still regarded as the masters of Kids entertainment finally brings to the big screen a story of of a cuddly bear who will make both kids and adults attracted to it and craving to see this GREAT MOVIE TWICE OR THRICE. It is not only animation,you can see 2 reporters(documentary crew sudden visit of Jellystone Park, home of Yogi the Bear and Boo Boo.There,they will meet a very funny incidents with these funny bears.You are gonna laugh,live the incidents they face,feel with them and wish you were with these superb bears enjoying all the fabulous adventures going on.No kidding,you will feel joy,forget your problems and your kids might laugh out loudly at every incident of this masterpiece movie. The voice of the bears are by Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake.

I am sure Justin TImberlake and Dan Aykroyd fans will rush to the theatres to see Yogi Bear.

For all these reasons,my vote was 10 out of 10. I hope YOGI BEAR WILL BE NOMINATED FOR Oscars,it really deserves to win every kind of Oscar.

Awesome Family Fun!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
22 December 2010

This movie was fun to watch from beginning to end. I haven't seen any of the cartoons yet, so I couldn't compare it. This would be a perfect summer movie, and clean fun for the whole family. Yogi and Boo Boo are adorable and hilarious together. They live in Jellystone Park and often cause trouble for Ranger Smith when they try and steal pic-a-nic baskets. When the evil Mayor Brown orders Jellystone to shut down, it's up to Yogi and Boo Boo to stop him. Along the way, Ranger Smith falls for a woman named Rachel who happens to be a documentary filmmaker. Don't listen to the critics, or the haters. I highly recommend YOGI BEAR!!!

Nice comedy

Author: Albrecht Durer from Australia
10 May 2011

I like to see any movie that I think I like without too much depending on any good/bad rate/review here. And for me, even though many people seem don't like this movie, I enjoy watching this. OK.. maybe to me Tom Cavanagh is not a fit actor here, he doesn't play his role naturally here, like flat or no passion or not relax. and my real rate would be 7, because Tom's acting is really not interesting, T.J. Miller would be even better to play ranger Smith's role.. still i give 10 to raise the total rate of this film, 4 in total rate is too cruel for this film's rating.. but I like to watch this movie not because of the actor performance, I watched it because I want to see a comedy movie. if you want to see great actor performance maybe you should just watch any winning Oscar movie. And I think in terms of jokes, the movie is doing well. Although in some scenes they use classic jokes, but it felt so natural to me. So if any of you are looking for a good comedy movie and a nice laughter, I recommend to watch this movie.

Great Movie! A Jump back to my childhood.

Author: jomelonia from United States
4 April 2011

My only complaint of this movie, (though there was a goof or two I noticed, but too insignificant to mention), was Yogi's accent. In this day and age of linguistic training for films, you would think they could have trained "Yogi" to speak exactly like the original Yogi Bear. That was a major disappointment not to hear that old familiar sliding and drawing out of words that "he" had a way with. The new Yogi also talked way too fast compared to the old. It was like watching/listening to an impostor playing Yogi Bear. Also the Yogi and Boo Boo costumes were not quite accurate to history either. But I can handle some artistic license there. Boo boo's accent was right on though!!! All and all a fun and really cool movie. My grandson and I loved it.

Loved it

Author: Vic May from United States
10 April 2011

I am an adult, I haven't seen any Yogi Bear cartoons before. Just want to say that I and my kids absolutely loved it. It is clean, it is funny and the characters are lovable. It is not as big as other animated movies but it stays clear of modern pop culture with it's dysfunctional characters, which I appreciated a lot. It felt a bit short, not fully developed perhaps. Nevertheless, compared to such recent releases as "Green Hornet" or "Kick Ass", with former getting 0 stars, "Yogi Bear" is a masterpiece and deserves 10 stars. Compared to other kid movies like "Madagascar" or "Toy Story", I would probably give "Yogi Bear" 7 stars, because it's plot is not as rich. But "Yogi Bear" stands on it's own and it doesn't have to be big to be great. It is great because there is not much competition for greatness.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]