IMDb > Yogi Bear (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Not smarter or dumber than the average family movie, Yogi Bear is perfectly good, clean and harmless fun that the whole family can enjoy

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
22 December 2010

It's easy to slam a movie like "Yogi Bear"- just talk about how simplistic the script written by no less than three writers; or how childish the antics are of the titular character and his cautious sidekick, Boo-Boo; or even how repetitive pic-a-nic basket stealing gets. Yes, they are all fair observations of this live-action adaptation of the 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but I wouldn't go so far as to criticise the movie for these very traits.

If you've seen the Saturday morning cartoons, you'll find that this film actually stays extremely faithful to its source. In them, Yogi goes around doing perhaps one thing and one thing only- that's right, stealing pic-a-nic baskets and thinking to himself how he's "smarter than the average bear"- together with Boo-Boo, occasionally running into Jellystone National Park's head ranger Smith who yells at him for disturbing the peace.

We used to laugh at Yogi's foolish schemes (or at least I remember I did), so why is it so difficult to laugh at the same things all over again? Sure many of us who have enjoyed those cartoons may have grown up, but that's not a fault of the film, especially when those in the audience who were of the age when we were watching the cartoons were obviously having a great time.

Around the regular pic-a-nic stealing, writers Jeffrey Ventimilia, Joshua Sternin and Brad Copeland have spun an eco-friendly story of the unscrupulous town mayor (Andrew Daly) who aims to sell off Jellystone to the loggers to cover the city's deficit. Needless to say, it will be up to Ranger Smith, his love interest the nature documentarian Rachel (Anna Faris), and of course Yogi and Boo-Boo to save the day. Yes it's simple but the plot is just serviceable enough to be the glue this live-action treatment needs.

Ultimately, the stars of the show were always Yogi and Boo-Boo, and in this regard, both the voice actors and the animators have done a wonderful job. Dan Aykroyd does his best Daws Butler impersonation for Yogi Bear, most impressive for nailing his character's distinctive speech patterns. Just as outstanding is Justin Timberlake, clearly relishing the opportunity to disappear into the role of Boo-Boo, complete with the trademark nasal delivery. It's especially interesting to think how Timberlake sounds so uncannily like the classic Don Messick.

Director Eric Brevig (of 2008's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth") keeps the gags flying fast and furious, so even if some of the supposed verbal punchlines fall flat, there is always something visually appealing to hold your attention. An Oscar-nominated effects specialist, Brevig makes great use of the stereoscopy to deliver all sorts of visual gimmicks- whether something flying in your face or hurling you along- but it adds nicely to the fun.

And that's one word that sums up what it's all meant to be about- "fun", good clean harmless fun like how the cartoons were 40 years ago, and a trip down memory lane for those who have seen the originals. There'll be many tempted to ride the wave of criticism surrounding this movie, but if you know what you're in for, then "Yogi Bear" should just be the perfect family entertainment this holiday season.

Substance Free Boo Boo Yippie

Author: jonnyhavey from United States
19 December 2010

First of all if you are going to see this film you probably already know what you are getting yourself into. This is a really really really dumb movie featuring Yogi Bear and Boo Boo voiced by Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake respectively. There is no substance at all what so ever in this movie, therefore, sit back, relax, become a kid again and enjoy the antics of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo. The movie begins with the picnic basket nabbing antics of the renowned cartoon character Yogi Bear and his partner in crime Boo Boo at Jellystone Park. They are constantly messing with Ranger Smith (Tom Cavanagh) who they call Mr. Ranger and scaring campers away. Documentary filmmaker Rachel (Anna Faris) arrives in order to shoot a project by attaching a camera to Boo Boo's bow-tie. All is normal until Mayor Brown (Andrew Daly) decides to sell Jellystone Park to loggers in order to save the town from bankruptcy and help him with his campaign for governor. However, Yogi and Boo Boo have something to say about this and team up with Ranger Smith and Rachel in order to stop Mayor Brown plot and save the park.

The movie itself isn't very good nor is it supposed to be very good and the fact that the creators recognized this while making the film makes the film a lot of fun. Yogi Bear and Boo Boo are the best part of the film and are laugh out loud hilarious. They aim for the ridiculous and do the craziest things that are very entertaining. Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake were perfect choices for the parts of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo. They help the film avoid any sappy emotional drama and just have some childhood fun. The film is also very short and therefore it does not overstay it's welcome. The film just tells the story and makes you laugh without really worrying about anything.

The film isn't worth paying fourteen dollars to see in 3D and is very forgettable because it lacks any originality what so ever. Also, all of the actors really do not add anything to the film except a small cliché romantic relationship between Ranger Smith and Rachel. The bad guys are very annoying as they usually are these kinds of movies. Also there really isn't a plot or at least a plot that you really care about. The writing is terrible, but yet again you aren't seeing the film for that.

This is a great kids movie that isn't scary at all and could probably even be rated G. I actually do recommend seeing the film, but you should probably wait to see it in the cheaper movie theaters or wait for DVD unless you want a really safe movie to take a kid to. (Save your money and do not see it in 3D)

I don't get it

Author: mikerules666 from Cincinnati, OH
31 December 2010

Why would anyone who watches a movie like this expect there to be some sort of plot. The review I saw for this is dumb. Obviously , the critic has never seen the cartoon version of Yogi Bear or he would know that it is supposed to be random. It's a silly pair of characters. That is what makes this movie so good. Yogi and Boo Boo have always been silly characters. I mean if you expected this to be like a regular movie, then you need to get into another line of work. That's like anyone that saw the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie and thought it was supposed to be serious or something. The movie was goofy because, if you ever watched the cartoon, it was goofy too. That is what made it so damn funny. Come on. Get with the program.

Good film for youngsters and the adult won't be bored

Author: donut44 from Houston, TX
1 January 2011

Not that a review should be about ME, but it seems to help with the review a little. I haven't reviewed a film in a long time, probably because I have been busy getting married and having kids. With that being said, I don't really see too many movies anymore and needless to say, this was NOT tops of my list. If I finally get to see a movie, I prefer an adult film, but alas, I have children. I got on here before hand and was even less than ecstatic about Yogi given the reviews and the star rating.

However, so many of them were so far off, that I felt inclined to write this review the same night after seeing this movie. First off, for those that review and/or rate a movie like this without having seen it is quite silly and hinders the reasoning behind the rating itself. Ratings are to help people, not skew them.

OK, on to the film. This is a legitimate PG moving for children, i.e. under 10, so take that into consideration. Someone in a rating said it was not a movie they would take a date on . . . really? I mean, I would hope not. Anyway, I have seen lots of kids and young adult movies with far less plot and acting than this movie.

I thought it was perfect for the age bracket and while yes, there is a mention about urination and about Boo Boo having trouble with baked beans, other than that, I was actually quite impressed that the movie survived without a bunch of potty humor. I thought it was a lightly funny film that stuck to the entire Yogi Bear theme of trying to save the park. I thought while some of the adults were silly to stupid, many of them were again, lightly funny and silly but not over the top stupid. Mentioning the word "stupid" also brings me to another thought that the movie wasn't filled with boring dialog of people calling each other silly names that make kids laugh, but irk parents knowing now after the film their kids are going to be calling each other those names and we will be left with trying to tell them why that is inappropriate.

I actually laughed quite a bit and enjoyed seeing Yogi. I am 34 years old and my daughter is 3 that was with me and we liked it. I could even watch it again. I've seen bad films of all ages and genres and this is NOT one of them. Is it academy award material? Not even close, but you won't be disappointed in an entertaining film for children.

Again about the silly reviewers,if you don't like it, no biggie and it is your perogrative to also write a review, they are needed, but why the lies in writing a review? Bored to tears in 10 minutes? Yogi getting hurt all the time? keep it lighthearted? How about paying attention. If there is any major complaint, it should be that this movie was nothing more than a glorified version of the cartoon, but that is what one would expect. Have you never seen the Yogi Christmas special. You know, the one where Ranger Smith tells Yogi to stay away and where the place is going to be forced to close and all the animals are sad? Sound familiar, hmm.

Now, for my final soap box that does make me mad. This dumb 3D is not all that impressive and given the extra added cost to go see one, it is NOT worth it. While there is a non-3D version, the theaters don't really want to play that one too much, because they can't charge the exuberant fee. I will for a fact plan ahead next time better and NOT do the 3D film and make sure I send a statement, although minimal it is.

Ruined by Tom Cavanagh

Author: DougF-2 from Minnesota
24 January 2011

My kids enjoyed this movie, but it was tough for me to sit through. The plot is disappointing, the actual jokes are few and far between, but all would have been forgiven had they cast a different male lead. Tom Cavanagh does his best not to act, emote, speak clearly, or do much more than look into the camera as a male model might. T.J. Miller is scarcely better as he mumbles most of his lines, but his character is small enough to ignore for much of the movie. Ana Faris does her best, but just can't get any chemistry with Tom Cavanagh, who looks and acts like he'd rather be anywhere else. Couldn't they have paid Justin Timberlake extra for donning the Ranger's outfit? I wanted to like this movie for my kids and for nostalgia's sake, but Tom Cavanagh bears the lion's share of the blame for ruining it.

My kid loved it, I rather enjoyed it myself

Author: veeckasinwreck from United States
10 January 2011

I was expecting to hate this movie after reading the reviews, but my son had seen a lot of the publicity for it, and his friends liked it. So we sucked it up on a bitter winter day and went for the full-on 3D version. I'm not sure that the 3-D adds anything to it, but it was amusing and diverting. Dan Ackroyd and Timberlake were wonderful as the primary voices. People on this board complain about the plot. Come on--it's a kids cartoon! To expect a compelling plot would be like buying "Hustler" to read the articles. The plot, such as it is, keeps the film moving along and provides motivation for the pratfalls and physical humor, which are executed better than for most movies of this kind. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, and it is good at what it does. I'll sure take it over "Fantastic Mr. Fox".

Awesome Family Fun!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
22 December 2010

This movie was fun to watch from beginning to end. I haven't seen any of the cartoons yet, so I couldn't compare it. This would be a perfect summer movie, and clean fun for the whole family. Yogi and Boo Boo are adorable and hilarious together. They live in Jellystone Park and often cause trouble for Ranger Smith when they try and steal pic-a-nic baskets. When the evil Mayor Brown orders Jellystone to shut down, it's up to Yogi and Boo Boo to stop him. Along the way, Ranger Smith falls for a woman named Rachel who happens to be a documentary filmmaker. Don't listen to the critics, or the haters. I highly recommend YOGI BEAR!!!

"Yogi Bear" is an Old Friend with a New Look

Author: jgregg42 from United States
17 December 2010

To bring the younger viewers up to speed - Yogi Bear has been around since the 1960s, he started as a cartoon "pick-a-nic" basket-stealing bear in Jellystone Park. He had a good run for several years and eventually faded into the background with a few television reboots along the way. Thanks to 3D live-action/ CGI wizardry, Yogi is back on the big screen. In the new "Yogi Bear" movie, he appears brand new in all of his CGI magnificence yet he maintains his familiar look and catch phrases at the same time. He's hasn't come back alone, he brought his old side kick Boo Boo, also in CGI, and his friendly nemesis Park Ranger Smith.

Yogi (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) starts the movie with what he is known for - stealing picnic baskets from visitors of Jellystone Park. In Aykroyd's best Ed Norton impersonation (for the younger viewers that is a character from the 1950s television series "The Honeymooners") he self narrates his strategies so not to lose the audience along the way. Yogi and his accomplice in petty thievery, Boo Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) are continually devising new methods to steal food from the tourists to Jellystone Park. Yogi is the da Vinci mastermind while Boo Boo is the rational voice of conscientiousness. They opt for stealing because the alternative is to resort to foraging for food like the "average bear." Word about Yogi's pilfering gets back to Ranger Smith (played by Tom Cavanagh) who has a long history of battling with Yogi. Instead of just shooting Yogi full of tranquilizer darts and dragging his body to another park (that's my idea, it's not in the movie), Ranger Smith uses his sternness to reprimand Yogi therefore upholding law and order within Jellystone. Yogi soon goes back to his cave and Ranger Smith goes back to his cabin and the cycle of picnic basket pilfering continues.

Meanwhile, back in Franklin City, Mayor Brown (played by Andrew Daly) is making plans to sell off Jellystone. He needs the money to bring his city out of debt and with a coy evilness, he rationalizes that each resident of Franklin City will make money off the deal. Daly was a fresh enjoyment to watch as the nemesis; delivering his role so both children and adults could pick up on the humor of a fun yet despicable character.

A three-way conflict soon begins with Ranger Smith stuck in the middle. Yogi is disrupting the tourists and the mayor is trying to close Jellystone Park. Then, in steps Rachel (played by Anna Farris) who is filming a nature documentary. On top of that Ranger Jones (played by TJ Miller) is gunning for the job of top ranger (it's funny because there are only two rangers for the entire park). It seems like a multi-level story line but the director, Eric Brevig, presents the smaller stories in a clear-cut linear format where even the youngest viewer can pick up on what is happening.

While tension is building between Mayor Brown and Ranger Smith, the 100th anniversary of Jellystone is upon them. At the celebration, Yogi (who was only trying to help) ruins everything and the park closes. At Ranger Smith's lowest point, he loses not only the park and his job, but also a chance with Rachel too. Knowing that his intelligence is also a hindrance, Yogi tries a life of being an "average bear" but that doesn't suit him. He and Boo Boo soon devise a scheme to rescue the park and to stop Mayor Brown from becoming Governor Brown.

Should you see this movie? Yes, it's simple yet charming. There were a lot of jokes for an older and younger audience. You didn't have to grow up with the cartoon to enjoy this newer version of an old classic, just be a fan of clean humor.

it's for the kids...i guess

Author: buny101 from United States
27 December 2010

Not an awful movie. Not one that I would take a date to go see, though. Odd...one of the jokes was talking about getting a date with a young woman, and Yogi mentions urinating on her. I was wondering why that had to be included. Really don't want to talk to my kids about urination. To throw that into a movie that is so obviously a kids movie seems out of place, like a sex scene in a Dr. Seuss book. Or day care advertisements in Penthouse. At the very least, it was odd. But the plot is predictable and easy on the mind. There is very little deviation or subplots that play out, and the ending is easy to guess. But, again, it's a kids movie. So, I took my 5 and 3 year old, and the 5 year old giggled, and the three year old played with my smartphone. I napped. I do have one other flaw for this movie...why do they think that using Dan Akroyd or Justin Timberlake increases the sales for this movie? Or any movie out there that uses big name stars for a cartoon? What's the point? Dan was just fine, and Timberlake was very good as boo-boo, but there are hundreds of voice actors in Hollywood. This could have been a huge film for one of them. Instead, the producers overpaid two big stars that could have literally phoned in their parts. Is that why I pay 20 bucks for popcorn? Because of overpaying big stars for parts like this? I think it might be...

Good for young children but sometimes irritating for parents

Author: Pascal Zinken (LazySod) from Maastricht, The Netherlands
23 March 2011

Yogi bear, a piece of ancient history comes to life in a film that like the first Garfield film combines real life acting with computer animated action. The story is easy enough: living in a park with his friend Booboo his only "work" is attempting to steal food from people coming there for a picnic. His idyllic life is threatened though - first there's the ranger that is on their tail and then there is the governor who wants to tear down the forest to make money for the city. But Yogi is a versatile bear, and solutions are in the making.

This is a typical kids film, designed for kids of all ages with a bias towards kids around 4 to 8 years old. The story is light and even the most dark spots are sweetened with enough sugar to make a layer cake or two.

For the parents it is endurable. It's not quite as fun as some of the other films in the same age group out there as it lacks any of the harmless innuendo that makes such films so much better, but it is endurable. The worst would probably be having to see the scenes that combine the real actors with the animated ones - the interaction shows all too clearly that they were blue-screen acted with the actors looking into the distance or somewhere different altogether while the animation should be happening right in front of their noses.

5 out of 10 misshapen attempts at resurrection childhood heroes