Yogi Bear (2010) Poster

(2010)

101 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Flawless big screen adaptation of Yogi for the fans
John Accoun13 January 2012
This movie fulfilled all the expectations I had. I grew up watching dubbed Yogi Bear cartoons and I am kind of a fan of that kind of humor. Simplistic yet profound in some way, and always with a very positive attitude. That is exactly what this movie delivers. Plain old simple jokes for everybody, kids and parents.

If, like myself, you're a fan of Yogi Bear you won't be disappointed. Indeed this was the best carton to big screen adaptation I've seen. If you didn't use to watch the cartoon, then I don't know what your expectations might be, but I noticed most of the people are expecting what this movie is not.

The movie is very laid back. Photography and scenes are also very fresh and so is the cast performance. The cast fits the characters very well and gets the job done, there's no intense dramatic dialogs, but keep in mind that this is kid movie. The interaction between Yogi (and his faithful friend Booboo) and Ranger Smith is the cornerstone of Yogi Bear. The are friends and enemies at the same time. This passes a very positive message to the kids and the movie does it in a very faithful way, just like it was done in the cartoons. The other most characteristic aspect Yogi is his obsession for human food. Again, that is well featured in the movie.

A disturbing yet positive thing about this movie is the realism of the Town Mayor character's personality. It's supposed to be a caricature, but is a very accurate one.

Finally, computer generated characters and living ones work very well on this movie. Unlike most of the movies that resource to this mix, the cartoon characters blend well with the rest of the scene.

Great entertainment for all the family with some classic Yogi jokes.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lovely and faithful to the original
Karen Domingos12 February 2011
I am wondering why so many people come with criticism on this movie. First of all, this is a kids movie, based in a cartoon created in 1958. I watched that so many times, I am 24 years old and I still love watch it. I love the clear and simple jokes and how all the story goes around, well, I rather see Yogy Bear (movie or cartoon) than have to see aliens becoming children, robots, creatures that I never heard about. Because this is what keeps our kids on TV now days, when its not the video game. So, please, people that come to criticize, please, go find a movie where you find something interesting for yourselves. But don't come here with your awful words for something that makes so many kids laugh through decades. Its not fair, its not nice. Yogy bear will be in my memory forever and I am pleased that the movie made the best that could do.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not smarter or dumber than the average family movie, Yogi Bear is perfectly good, clean and harmless fun that the whole family can enjoy
moviexclusive22 December 2010
It's easy to slam a movie like "Yogi Bear"- just talk about how simplistic the script written by no less than three writers; or how childish the antics are of the titular character and his cautious sidekick, Boo-Boo; or even how repetitive pic-a-nic basket stealing gets. Yes, they are all fair observations of this live-action adaptation of the 1960s Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but I wouldn't go so far as to criticise the movie for these very traits.

If you've seen the Saturday morning cartoons, you'll find that this film actually stays extremely faithful to its source. In them, Yogi goes around doing perhaps one thing and one thing only- that's right, stealing pic-a-nic baskets and thinking to himself how he's "smarter than the average bear"- together with Boo-Boo, occasionally running into Jellystone National Park's head ranger Smith who yells at him for disturbing the peace.

We used to laugh at Yogi's foolish schemes (or at least I remember I did), so why is it so difficult to laugh at the same things all over again? Sure many of us who have enjoyed those cartoons may have grown up, but that's not a fault of the film, especially when those in the audience who were of the age when we were watching the cartoons were obviously having a great time.

Around the regular pic-a-nic stealing, writers Jeffrey Ventimilia, Joshua Sternin and Brad Copeland have spun an eco-friendly story of the unscrupulous town mayor (Andrew Daly) who aims to sell off Jellystone to the loggers to cover the city's deficit. Needless to say, it will be up to Ranger Smith, his love interest the nature documentarian Rachel (Anna Faris), and of course Yogi and Boo-Boo to save the day. Yes it's simple but the plot is just serviceable enough to be the glue this live-action treatment needs.

Ultimately, the stars of the show were always Yogi and Boo-Boo, and in this regard, both the voice actors and the animators have done a wonderful job. Dan Aykroyd does his best Daws Butler impersonation for Yogi Bear, most impressive for nailing his character's distinctive speech patterns. Just as outstanding is Justin Timberlake, clearly relishing the opportunity to disappear into the role of Boo-Boo, complete with the trademark nasal delivery. It's especially interesting to think how Timberlake sounds so uncannily like the classic Don Messick.

Director Eric Brevig (of 2008's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth") keeps the gags flying fast and furious, so even if some of the supposed verbal punchlines fall flat, there is always something visually appealing to hold your attention. An Oscar-nominated effects specialist, Brevig makes great use of the stereoscopy to deliver all sorts of visual gimmicks- whether something flying in your face or hurling you along- but it adds nicely to the fun.

And that's one word that sums up what it's all meant to be about- "fun", good clean harmless fun like how the cartoons were 40 years ago, and a trip down memory lane for those who have seen the originals. There'll be many tempted to ride the wave of criticism surrounding this movie, but if you know what you're in for, then "Yogi Bear" should just be the perfect family entertainment this holiday season.
42 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a worthy addition to a family DVD collection
Twodude Review8 January 2012
When reviewing a family movie, I look at it a few different ways: first, is it appropriate for my three kids; second, is it entertaining to me and my kids; and third, is there a decent storyline. I didn't see Yogi Bear in theaters and I am glad I didn't spend money, for a family of five, on tickets and concession items that go with taking my family to a big screen showing. However, I think this is one of the more appropriate and enjoyable family movies that I have seen in years. Yogi made me laugh and it was just long enough to keep my kids attention for the entire movie. The story line is basic and not to deep, which helps to keep the kids' attention. As a dad, I appreciate not having to explain everything to them and am able to enjoy the movie myself. I thought Dan Aykroyd's voice work on Yogi was over acted and made to sound like the cartoon I grew up on, but after a few scenes you get used to it. Justin Timberlake, as you would expect him to be, was funny voicing Boo Boo. Tom Cavanagh, as the abused Ranger Smith, was a clean cut likable character similar to the character he portrayed on the T.V. show ED, on which he starred. Anna Faris's part although limited, fit in the movie's overall context. T.J Miller, Nathan Corddry and Andrew Daly were entertaining fodder to Yogi's antics.

I watched this movie with my kids and I can't remember a part where at least one of them was not laughing. To me, that's all you can ask for in a family movie; no swearing, no violence, just good old fashioned Yogi Bear Fun. This is a movie that I will be buying for the collection.

Grade: A+

visit our site at www.twodudereview.com
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Substance Free Boo Boo Yippie
jonnyhavey19 December 2010
First of all if you are going to see this film you probably already know what you are getting yourself into. This is a really really really dumb movie featuring Yogi Bear and Boo Boo voiced by Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake respectively. There is no substance at all what so ever in this movie, therefore, sit back, relax, become a kid again and enjoy the antics of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo. The movie begins with the picnic basket nabbing antics of the renowned cartoon character Yogi Bear and his partner in crime Boo Boo at Jellystone Park. They are constantly messing with Ranger Smith (Tom Cavanagh) who they call Mr. Ranger and scaring campers away. Documentary filmmaker Rachel (Anna Faris) arrives in order to shoot a project by attaching a camera to Boo Boo's bow-tie. All is normal until Mayor Brown (Andrew Daly) decides to sell Jellystone Park to loggers in order to save the town from bankruptcy and help him with his campaign for governor. However, Yogi and Boo Boo have something to say about this and team up with Ranger Smith and Rachel in order to stop Mayor Brown plot and save the park.

The movie itself isn't very good nor is it supposed to be very good and the fact that the creators recognized this while making the film makes the film a lot of fun. Yogi Bear and Boo Boo are the best part of the film and are laugh out loud hilarious. They aim for the ridiculous and do the craziest things that are very entertaining. Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake were perfect choices for the parts of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo. They help the film avoid any sappy emotional drama and just have some childhood fun. The film is also very short and therefore it does not overstay it's welcome. The film just tells the story and makes you laugh without really worrying about anything.

The film isn't worth paying fourteen dollars to see in 3D and is very forgettable because it lacks any originality what so ever. Also, all of the actors really do not add anything to the film except a small cliché romantic relationship between Ranger Smith and Rachel. The bad guys are very annoying as they usually are these kinds of movies. Also there really isn't a plot or at least a plot that you really care about. The writing is terrible, but yet again you aren't seeing the film for that.

This is a great kids movie that isn't scary at all and could probably even be rated G. I actually do recommend seeing the film, but you should probably wait to see it in the cheaper movie theaters or wait for DVD unless you want a really safe movie to take a kid to. (Save your money and do not see it in 3D)
26 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful Ride for Ages 7 and Up
rannynm7 July 2011
I really love this movie. It has a ton of action scenes and is hilarious! The best part of the movie is when the gang goes down the river rapids which is really cool to see in 3D. It feels like you are going to get splashed with the water.

My favorite characters in the film are Yogi Bear, Boo Boo, and Ranger Smith. I like them because they have a part in saving Yellowstone Park. Yogi Bear and Boo Boo are the funniest characters in the movie. One part in the movie has Yogi Bear water skiing and Boo Boo is guiding the boat. Yogi Bear catches his cape on fire, falls in the water, and sets off the entire fireworks display! There are also some bad people in this movie. Mayor Brown and his chief of staff are always trying to sabotage Ranger Smith's efforts to save Yellowstone. They even try to make Ranger Jones turn against Ranger Smith. The actor that plays Ranger Jones is T.J. Miller, who played Tuffnut in "How to Train Your Dragon", which is one of my favorite movies.

In the movie Yellowstone Park is celebrating its 100 year anniversary however it may be its last because attendance to the park is down and Mayor Brown wants to close the park and use it for something that will make him more money. Yogi Bear, Boo Boo, Ranger Smith, and Rachel team up to save the park. Yogi Bear really proves that he is "smarter than the average bear." I would recommend this film for ages seven and up. Parents will really like this movie because Yogi Bear was a TV show that was on when they were growing up. Go out and see it when it premieres in theaters on December 17th. For an extra treat see it in 3D; you will really feel like you are a part of the movie.

Reviewed by Anthony Aranda, age 8, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic
Nice comedy
Albrecht Durer10 May 2011
I like to see any movie that I think I like without too much depending on any good/bad rate/review here. And for me, even though many people seem don't like this movie, I enjoy watching this. OK.. maybe to me Tom Cavanagh is not a fit actor here, he doesn't play his role naturally here, like flat or no passion or not relax. and my real rate would be 7, because Tom's acting is really not interesting, T.J. Miller would be even better to play ranger Smith's role.. still i give 10 to raise the total rate of this film, 4 in total rate is too cruel for this film's rating.. but I like to watch this movie not because of the actor performance, I watched it because I want to see a comedy movie. if you want to see great actor performance maybe you should just watch any winning Oscar movie. And I think in terms of jokes, the movie is doing well. Although in some scenes they use classic jokes, but it felt so natural to me. So if any of you are looking for a good comedy movie and a nice laughter, I recommend to watch this movie.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie! A Jump back to my childhood.
jomelonia4 April 2011
My only complaint of this movie, (though there was a goof or two I noticed, but too insignificant to mention), was Yogi's accent. In this day and age of linguistic training for films, you would think they could have trained "Yogi" to speak exactly like the original Yogi Bear. That was a major disappointment not to hear that old familiar sliding and drawing out of words that "he" had a way with. The new Yogi also talked way too fast compared to the old. It was like watching/listening to an impostor playing Yogi Bear. Also the Yogi and Boo Boo costumes were not quite accurate to history either. But I can handle some artistic license there. Boo boo's accent was right on though!!! All and all a fun and really cool movie. My grandson and I loved it.
Very enjoyable, fun film
ianjbarton18 February 2011
I don't really understand the negative reviews for this film. It was exactly what you would expect a new film about Yogi Bear to be. If you've ever watched Yogi Bear you know what you're going to get. Nothing profound or complicated, just simple childish fun. Good acting, great cgi, and loads of funny moments. What more do you want for goodness sake. Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake are excellent as Yogi and Boo Boo, Anna Faris is just lovely as always, and Andrew Daly was super creepy as the Mayor. Saw it in 2D not 3D so can't comment on that. To summarise, it's Yogi Bear, not anything profound, or deep, or stirring, just simple easy escapism. Forget about being an adult for an hour and have some fun.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't get it
mikerules66631 December 2010
Why would anyone who watches a movie like this expect there to be some sort of plot. The review I saw for this is dumb. Obviously , the critic has never seen the cartoon version of Yogi Bear or he would know that it is supposed to be random. It's a silly pair of characters. That is what makes this movie so good. Yogi and Boo Boo have always been silly characters. I mean if you expected this to be like a regular movie, then you need to get into another line of work. That's like anyone that saw the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie and thought it was supposed to be serious or something. The movie was goofy because, if you ever watched the cartoon, it was goofy too. That is what made it so damn funny. Come on. Get with the program.
47 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Family Fun!!!
Pumpkin_Man22 December 2010
This movie was fun to watch from beginning to end. I haven't seen any of the cartoons yet, so I couldn't compare it. This would be a perfect summer movie, and clean fun for the whole family. Yogi and Boo Boo are adorable and hilarious together. They live in Jellystone Park and often cause trouble for Ranger Smith when they try and steal pic-a-nic baskets. When the evil Mayor Brown orders Jellystone to shut down, it's up to Yogi and Boo Boo to stop him. Along the way, Ranger Smith falls for a woman named Rachel who happens to be a documentary filmmaker. Don't listen to the critics, or the haters. I highly recommend YOGI BEAR!!!
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good 3D movie for the kids.
JustAnEpicPerson16 June 2013
Yogi Bear is about Jellystone Park about to get closed down because the town is bankrupt. Due to this, Ranger Smith (Tom Cavanagh) throws a party for Jellystone so more visitors come in, more visitors, more money. But Yogi screws it up. So now they must save the park somehow before it gets closed. Yogi (Dan Aykroyd) and Boo Boo (Justin Timberlake) do a good job at voice acting. Tom Cavanagh also does a good job, but everyone else does a bad job. ESPIALLY THE MAYOR (Andrew Daly) HE DOES NOT EVEN TRY. The 3D is pretty good, so if you have a Blu-ray 3D at home, try to rent this movie.

OVERALL: It's funny, great 3D, and pretty good. Go see it, you won't be disappointed.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good film for youngsters and the adult won't be bored
donut441 January 2011
Not that a review should be about ME, but it seems to help with the review a little. I haven't reviewed a film in a long time, probably because I have been busy getting married and having kids. With that being said, I don't really see too many movies anymore and needless to say, this was NOT tops of my list. If I finally get to see a movie, I prefer an adult film, but alas, I have children. I got on here before hand and was even less than ecstatic about Yogi given the reviews and the star rating.

However, so many of them were so far off, that I felt inclined to write this review the same night after seeing this movie. First off, for those that review and/or rate a movie like this without having seen it is quite silly and hinders the reasoning behind the rating itself. Ratings are to help people, not skew them.

OK, on to the film. This is a legitimate PG moving for children, i.e. under 10, so take that into consideration. Someone in a rating said it was not a movie they would take a date on . . . really? I mean, I would hope not. Anyway, I have seen lots of kids and young adult movies with far less plot and acting than this movie.

I thought it was perfect for the age bracket and while yes, there is a mention about urination and about Boo Boo having trouble with baked beans, other than that, I was actually quite impressed that the movie survived without a bunch of potty humor. I thought it was a lightly funny film that stuck to the entire Yogi Bear theme of trying to save the park. I thought while some of the adults were silly to stupid, many of them were again, lightly funny and silly but not over the top stupid. Mentioning the word "stupid" also brings me to another thought that the movie wasn't filled with boring dialog of people calling each other silly names that make kids laugh, but irk parents knowing now after the film their kids are going to be calling each other those names and we will be left with trying to tell them why that is inappropriate.

I actually laughed quite a bit and enjoyed seeing Yogi. I am 34 years old and my daughter is 3 that was with me and we liked it. I could even watch it again. I've seen bad films of all ages and genres and this is NOT one of them. Is it academy award material? Not even close, but you won't be disappointed in an entertaining film for children.

Again about the silly reviewers,if you don't like it, no biggie and it is your perogrative to also write a review, they are needed, but why the lies in writing a review? Bored to tears in 10 minutes? Yogi getting hurt all the time? keep it lighthearted? How about paying attention. If there is any major complaint, it should be that this movie was nothing more than a glorified version of the cartoon, but that is what one would expect. Have you never seen the Yogi Christmas special. You know, the one where Ranger Smith tells Yogi to stay away and where the place is going to be forced to close and all the animals are sad? Sound familiar, hmm.

Now, for my final soap box that does make me mad. This dumb 3D is not all that impressive and given the extra added cost to go see one, it is NOT worth it. While there is a non-3D version, the theaters don't really want to play that one too much, because they can't charge the exuberant fee. I will for a fact plan ahead next time better and NOT do the 3D film and make sure I send a statement, although minimal it is.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie you can enjoy with your kids
toymeistr13 August 2011
First off the movie is made to entertain children. That's the target audience. My 6 and 8 year olds loved it, constantly laughing thru the movie. Yes it was a simple plot but that's all that was needed to entertain in this film. It's core is not meant to make you think about world issues or challenge society today, it's to entertain children which I think worked very well.

It's based on a cartoon so you expect many 2D characters, they are there for the main pair (Yogi and Boo Boo) to work off. As someone who grew up with the Yogi cartoon I actually enjoyed it as well. I've gone to well rated adult comedies with far less laughs than this, and its great to see your children smiling and laughing.

It's also nice to be able to see something you can sit and watch with your children without fear they will get the bad language, name calling and sexual references. Silly antics yes, but do you expect more from the original cartoon? If you expect an Oscar nominee, then pass this film by. If you can be young again and allow a film to purely entertain, give it a go.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Faithful to the cartoon
robby-ray19 June 2011
This movie brought me back to the good old days when Cartoon Network was all that I watched on TV. Dan Aykroyd does a really good job voicing Yogi Bear, and likewise for Justin Timberlake and Boo Boo. The cast were good. It kept the comedy that made me love the cartoon. Only problem I can think of is some of the background animations. But I take it as a sort of spoof of the days of Yogi Bear. I especially loved how it was filmed in NZ, my home. It showed off some awesome sights, even if they weren't necessarily in NZ. The park looked amazing, and it made me want to go camping immediately! Loved it and recommended for all ages, especially those that watched Yogi Bear when they were younger.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Movie made for young kids
fiiig9928 December 2010
This movie is good. I liked the setting, kid friendly acting and it was very appropriate to bring a child to go watch and reasonably entertaining for an adult. I found yogi to be a good facsimile and though I will always prefer 2d animation I thought it was well done.

The plot is simple and easy enough to follow. The 2 faced nature of the politician is a good life lesson not to trust anyone who smiles too much. Andrew Daly as Mayor Brown was particularly well done and I found him quite funny and evil.

I felt Tom Cavanagh did fine as ranger smith and felt he was what you would expect. Someone who forgives easily and just wants to concentrate on the park and not the money.

I liked it, My 3 Year old daughter liked it and we had a good time watching it. I would have no problem recommending it to other families.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yogi Bear is hilarious
Mystery Kid17 January 2011
I thought this was a pretty good movie, with really good animation and hilarious characters. Yogi made me laugh out loud in that theater, and Boo Boo was also comedy gold. The best part, I have to say, is when Yogi and Boo Boo went jet skiing and set off the fireworks. I also really like the parts when the ranger is about to make a move on Rachel, Yogi always ruins the moment. It is hilarious when they fail at taking a picnic basket. It was also clever at the ending how they used a recording from a secret video camera to catch the mayor at the end. But, every movie, even a great one, also has some downs. The biggest failure in this movie was that it seemed only a few minutes long and REALLY made time fly by,when I wanted a 2 or 3 hour long movie. The ending seemed rushed. The mayor and his co-workers are pretty cheesy, and don't really have that "I'm a bad guy" thing to them, and it seemed that they would always ruin a really good part. Even though there were some bad parts, this movie is not that bad. Take your kids to see this movie. I give it an 8 out of 10. -Mystery Kid
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overall boring, unfunny, and plain unintelligent
prestonsaccount17 December 2010
I cant believe this movie. This is what you get when you mix a lazy, unoriginal idea with overall a boring plot. Im not going to say anything for you, but nearly every joke in the movie, you probably have heard a million times. This makes you not even smile. The movie is VERY immature, cracking a body joke every other minute, and has a very lame plot, which we have seen a million times, where they are trying to save the forest, blah blah. The mix of animation and real life characters just makes it embarrassing to look at. Also, the 3d is crude and doesn't have any interesting moments. Granted, the actors are talented, but this movie is a piece of filth.

Save yourself the trouble, and pick another movie. Even kids wont find this poor movie amusing.
50 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it
Vic May10 April 2011
I am an adult, I haven't seen any Yogi Bear cartoons before. Just want to say that I and my kids absolutely loved it. It is clean, it is funny and the characters are lovable. It is not as big as other animated movies but it stays clear of modern pop culture with it's dysfunctional characters, which I appreciated a lot. It felt a bit short, not fully developed perhaps. Nevertheless, compared to such recent releases as "Green Hornet" or "Kick Ass", with former getting 0 stars, "Yogi Bear" is a masterpiece and deserves 10 stars. Compared to other kid movies like "Madagascar" or "Toy Story", I would probably give "Yogi Bear" 7 stars, because it's plot is not as rich. But "Yogi Bear" stands on it's own and it doesn't have to be big to be great. It is great because there is not much competition for greatness.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My kid loved it, I rather enjoyed it myself
veeckasinwreck10 January 2011
I was expecting to hate this movie after reading the reviews, but my son had seen a lot of the publicity for it, and his friends liked it. So we sucked it up on a bitter winter day and went for the full-on 3D version. I'm not sure that the 3-D adds anything to it, but it was amusing and diverting. Dan Ackroyd and Timberlake were wonderful as the primary voices. People on this board complain about the plot. Come on--it's a kids cartoon! To expect a compelling plot would be like buying "Hustler" to read the articles. The plot, such as it is, keeps the film moving along and provides motivation for the pratfalls and physical humor, which are executed better than for most movies of this kind. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is, and it is good at what it does. I'll sure take it over "Fantastic Mr. Fox".
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it's for the kids...i guess
buny10127 December 2010
Not an awful movie. Not one that I would take a date to go see, though. Odd...one of the jokes was talking about getting a date with a young woman, and Yogi mentions urinating on her. I was wondering why that had to be included. Really don't want to talk to my kids about urination. To throw that into a movie that is so obviously a kids movie seems out of place, like a sex scene in a Dr. Seuss book. Or day care advertisements in Penthouse. At the very least, it was odd. But the plot is predictable and easy on the mind. There is very little deviation or subplots that play out, and the ending is easy to guess. But, again, it's a kids movie. So, I took my 5 and 3 year old, and the 5 year old giggled, and the three year old played with my smartphone. I napped. I do have one other flaw for this movie...why do they think that using Dan Akroyd or Justin Timberlake increases the sales for this movie? Or any movie out there that uses big name stars for a cartoon? What's the point? Dan was just fine, and Timberlake was very good as boo-boo, but there are hundreds of voice actors in Hollywood. This could have been a huge film for one of them. Instead, the producers overpaid two big stars that could have literally phoned in their parts. Is that why I pay 20 bucks for popcorn? Because of overpaying big stars for parts like this? I think it might be...
27 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yogi Bear impresses one as an accurate depiction of an old favorite cartoon with updated action.
FireFan29 March 2011
This movie was a pleasing remembrance to me. I had been a fan of Yogi Bear's family of cartoons from sometime ago in the past and I knew that many people are interested in bears so it was nice to see some kind of resurgence or comeback from this important Hanna-Barbara cartoon character. I also thought that Dan Aykroyd was one of the wackiest Saturday Night Live players at the time so this show was like "the good old Halcyon days" entertainment with him cast as the voice of Yogi. Yogi and Boo Boo were just like I thought they used to be. The plot was full of noteworthy humorous situations carried out effectively and I thought that in resolution quality, Yogi and Boo Boo were about to jump off the screen making one feel as if you the audience were in the middle of their environment, and their costumes or special effects were most convincing whether or not they were purely computer generated. Yogi's antics and those of his human counterparts also took lots of imagination turned to reality as if observers were inside an amusement park. The movie kept you entertained for its duration. The girl in this show was a fun-loving early admirer of Yogi Bear and his exploits in her environmentally conscientious kind of way which gave Yogi and Boo Boo plenty of room to show off and goof up in. The mayor of the city, who wants to exploit Jellystone Park for his greedy personal gains, is just funny and outrageous in his stubborn view of nature and the park. This gives us a good backdrop story which pits the forest rangers and Yogi and Boo Boo against the politics of corruption. The acting seemed okay to me although I am not as critical as some evaluators of this aspect in this movie. I would recommend the movie to all kinds of kids and older audiences familiar with the characters.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Yogi Bear" is an Old Friend with a New Look
jgregg4217 December 2010
To bring the younger viewers up to speed - Yogi Bear has been around since the 1960s, he started as a cartoon "pick-a-nic" basket-stealing bear in Jellystone Park. He had a good run for several years and eventually faded into the background with a few television reboots along the way. Thanks to 3D live-action/ CGI wizardry, Yogi is back on the big screen. In the new "Yogi Bear" movie, he appears brand new in all of his CGI magnificence yet he maintains his familiar look and catch phrases at the same time. He's hasn't come back alone, he brought his old side kick Boo Boo, also in CGI, and his friendly nemesis Park Ranger Smith.

Yogi (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) starts the movie with what he is known for - stealing picnic baskets from visitors of Jellystone Park. In Aykroyd's best Ed Norton impersonation (for the younger viewers that is a character from the 1950s television series "The Honeymooners") he self narrates his strategies so not to lose the audience along the way. Yogi and his accomplice in petty thievery, Boo Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) are continually devising new methods to steal food from the tourists to Jellystone Park. Yogi is the da Vinci mastermind while Boo Boo is the rational voice of conscientiousness. They opt for stealing because the alternative is to resort to foraging for food like the "average bear." Word about Yogi's pilfering gets back to Ranger Smith (played by Tom Cavanagh) who has a long history of battling with Yogi. Instead of just shooting Yogi full of tranquilizer darts and dragging his body to another park (that's my idea, it's not in the movie), Ranger Smith uses his sternness to reprimand Yogi therefore upholding law and order within Jellystone. Yogi soon goes back to his cave and Ranger Smith goes back to his cabin and the cycle of picnic basket pilfering continues.

Meanwhile, back in Franklin City, Mayor Brown (played by Andrew Daly) is making plans to sell off Jellystone. He needs the money to bring his city out of debt and with a coy evilness, he rationalizes that each resident of Franklin City will make money off the deal. Daly was a fresh enjoyment to watch as the nemesis; delivering his role so both children and adults could pick up on the humor of a fun yet despicable character.

A three-way conflict soon begins with Ranger Smith stuck in the middle. Yogi is disrupting the tourists and the mayor is trying to close Jellystone Park. Then, in steps Rachel (played by Anna Farris) who is filming a nature documentary. On top of that Ranger Jones (played by TJ Miller) is gunning for the job of top ranger (it's funny because there are only two rangers for the entire park). It seems like a multi-level story line but the director, Eric Brevig, presents the smaller stories in a clear-cut linear format where even the youngest viewer can pick up on what is happening.

While tension is building between Mayor Brown and Ranger Smith, the 100th anniversary of Jellystone is upon them. At the celebration, Yogi (who was only trying to help) ruins everything and the park closes. At Ranger Smith's lowest point, he loses not only the park and his job, but also a chance with Rachel too. Knowing that his intelligence is also a hindrance, Yogi tries a life of being an "average bear" but that doesn't suit him. He and Boo Boo soon devise a scheme to rescue the park and to stop Mayor Brown from becoming Governor Brown.

Should you see this movie? Yes, it's simple yet charming. There were a lot of jokes for an older and younger audience. You didn't have to grow up with the cartoon to enjoy this newer version of an old classic, just be a fan of clean humor.
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hardly any laughs, but adventurous at times.
DarkVulcan2922 December 2010
Another classic cartoon character comes to the big screen, there was Popeye, Scooby Doo, Garfield, and now there is the mischievous picnic basket stealing bear named Yogi.

Now the CGI animation of Yogi and Boo Boo is pretty good, and the voice talents of Dan Ackroyd and Justin Timberlake is also good. But Tom Cavanagh as Ranger Smith is not funny, he comes across trying way to hard, it looked like he was telling the audience "I'm funny, please laugh at me". Anna Faris starts out as a dull character at the beginning, but she gets better as the movie goes on. And T.J. Miller is just wasting his talent here. But it does have good share of adventure at times. But I think the little kids will enjoy more than adults.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Before you complain - remember what this film is!
jeffali18 February 2011
This is a U rated film. There's barely any of them about nowadays and it must be the clearest indicator of what to expect. I went with my wife and 2 kids aged 8 & 10. The 10 year old saw straightaway that it was aimed at slightly younger children and accepted it for that. The 8 year old was laughing almost the entire film, as was I. It's goofy, funny, hammily acted and I think pretty faithful to the original. Dan Aykroyd's Yogi voice is good and Justin Timberlake's Boo Boo is stunningly close to the original! If you remember it's for little kids then it makes sense of why the the acting is quite cheesy. Subtle acting nuances are not required! All in all I would give this an 8/10 and say: take your little kids/nephews/nieces etc. They'll love it. And you might too! If you take your date (and you're over 14 years old) you need counselling.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this