IMDb > Iron Man 3 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man Three

Iron Man 3 More at IMDbPro »Iron Man Three (original title)

Page 1 of 120:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A welcome return to form, this trilogy capper overcomes a weak start to impress with unexpected buddy chemistry, surprising plot twists and exhilarating action

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
24 April 2013

Tony Stark might be at his best with his gadgets, but ironically his movies are best when he is without them. 'Iron Man 3' is a perfect demonstration of that – for the first 40 mins, Stark is the same arrogant, cocksure person he was in the self-important 'Iron Man 2'; and then after crashing and burning in his damaged suit in the middle of a wintry expanse, Stark is forced to start over, and that rebirth brings back what made the first 'Iron Man' so infectiously entertaining in the first place.

Indeed, you've been warned – don't expect 'Iron Man 3' to be firing from all cylinders right from the get-go as 'The Avengers' did; rather, the road to that payoff is slow and bumpy. This is a 'post-Avengers' Stark, traumatised by his near-death experience closing the Chitauri wormhole back in New York. At the expense of sleep and his relationship with the ever-lovely Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), Stark throws himself into work – which to him means further refining his 'Iron Man' armour. In the meantime, he leaves the heavy lifting to Colonel Rhodes (Don Cheadle), commissioned by the President to fight terror in the War Machine suit (basically the 'Iron Man' fighting machine but in the patriotic colours of red, white and blue).

Col Rhodes' latest target is a terrorist going by the monicker of 'The Mandarin', who has brought his war to home soil after targeting US installations abroad. Only when his former driver cum good friend, Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau), is fatally injured does Stark sit up and pay attention, and in an ill-advised and egotistical move, reveal his home address in an outright challenge to The Mandarin. That, as you would already know from the trailer, leaves his oceanside home decimated and Stark in a barely functioning suit in the snow-covered wilds of Tennessee.

Up to this point, a lot of what is meant to pass as wisecracks is exchanged as dialogue among Stark, Potts and Hogan, but the smart- talking isn't particularly amusing or engaging and gets increasingly tiresome after a while. But as we said at the start, it is precisely when Stark is forced to start over that the movie starts getting into the groove. Abandoning the slick and sleek mechanical tricks and gimmicks, the middle act settles into a surprisingly old-school act in a small-town-USA where Stark had meant to visit to investigate a recent incident which he suspects is linked to The Mandarin.

There, some of the sparkiest repartee unfolds between Stark and a young kid he meets, Harley (Ty Simpson), who will not only enable him to overcome his PTSD but also become an unlikely pre-pubescent sidekick. The rapport between Stark and Harley significantly enlivens the film, with the 'connection' (there is a special meaning to the quotation here) between them perhaps the most poignant relationship developed here. Thankfully, the delightfully warm and witty midsection only makes the film better from here onwards.

Surpassing expectations of a straightforward good-versus-bad showdown, veteran action movie screenwriter Shane Black and his first-time feature film writer Drew Pearce engineer a couple of elegant twists, including an ingenious revelation on the true identity of The Mandarin. Not to worry, we're not in spoiler mode here, but suffice to say that it is probably the very reason why Academy Award-winning actor Ben Kingsley was enticed to the role. And with that surprise comes the action that you've been waiting for from this summer blockbuster.

Black, who is making his sophomore feature film, offers up two eye- popping set pieces. The first sees a daring attack on Air Force One in mid-air, leaving 13 people in free-fall and a truly exhilarating sequence where Iron Man gets to play 'barrel of monkeys' with all of them and guide them to safety. The second is the elaborate and game- changing climax – not only for the fact that it is the first and only time in the whole movie that we see the Iron Legion in action, but also because it comes to a startling conclusion that re-establishes the dynamic between Stark and Potts. Both are even more astounding considering Black's last and first movie was a crime caper called 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' that never would have primed you into thinking he was capable of such spectacle.

But one supposes that Robert Downey Jr must have seen that potential in Black to recommend him as the candidate to take over Favreau, the familiarity between actor and director paying off in how the former trusts the latter to take the character in a different direction. While he was vulnerable before, Stark did not have the same attachment as he does here with Potts or the same sense of introspection that is evident in his voice-over. In turn, Downey Jr. gives his best performance as Tony Stark/ Iron Man yet, with a newfound sense of frailty that develops convincingly into humility to match his heroics.

Disagree if you must, but we always loved Stark more when he was less full of himself, and a refreshingly new aspect here is the buddy element that sees Stark pairing first with Harley and then with Col Rhodes. In particular, the finale sees a rousing partnership with the latter – both Downey Jr and Cheadle clearly enjoying trading quips and barbs at each other while saving the day. And given how the 'Iron Man' movies have been at their most rousing when Stark rebuilds himself, the last shot of Stark beginning a new phase in his life bodes well for the future of the franchise, especially if it is to continue its life outside of 'The Avengers'.

Iron Man 3 delivers in spades.

Author: foreverknight47 from Norwich, Norfolk UK
4 May 2013

Saw IRON MAN 3 last night and it was superb. It was the sequel IRON MAN 2 should have been but wasn't and the perfect extrapolation of life after AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. The set pieces are suitably awesome and the acting performances are uniformly excellent from the leads right down to the tiniest bit part (there's a jewel of a cameo from a guard that upstages even Downey's comic timing). The script gets the balance between the epic and the personal just right and Sir Ben delivers two performance for the price of one and both are genius (can't say more - spoilers!). Mr Downey Jr also manages to show even more of the complexity of Tony Stark. Just when you think there's no more to be fracked out of that particular mine, he goes deeper. The writer set out to deliver a fun story and that's exactly what it is. It draws you in from the first moments and doesn't let go. What more could you possibly want?

Hated it at first, I like it more each time I re-watch

Author: shangsta from United States
9 November 2013

The first time I saw this movie I really didn't like it, I had just come off the high of "The Avengers" and let me make it clear, this one isn't as good. That said it is significantly better than Iron Man 2 and that's because the story is deeper and direct. There's a lot less focus on explosions and fancy effects (although there is plenty of that) and more on dialogue and character development.

One thing I like about this movie is that you get to learn more about Tony Stark, as much as I loved his arrogance in IM1, 2 at the end of Avengers he was humbled and that continues in this one. On the one hand I love the suits and the fancy technology but it's Robert Downey's sarcasm and wit that make him so great for this franchise.

Yes there is a big plot twist but it by no means ruins the movie and while I was not a fan of the ending, you can see where things are going towards Avengers 2.

It may not be for you, my only advice is to make sure you watch it again. I was angry the first time I did and thought the movie was a joke, each additional time I've watched it I take something more from it and enjoy it a little more.

Iron Man 3 is damn good.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
4 May 2013

With comic book movies, there is a repeating cycle. The first one has our attention. The sequel, most of the time (in the case of Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight, X2, etc.), outdoes the original. But then we are eventually faced with the third part. In some cases (The Dark Knight Rises), the third part kicks ass. In most cases (Spider-man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand), they are the weakest. Luckily, this is simply not the case for Iron Man 3.

The film takes place after the events of The Avengers, and Tony Stark (the always wonderfully charismatic Robert Downey Jr.) is falling apart. He's losing sleep, he's having anxiety attacks, and he is slowly becoming distant from his faithful girlfriend Pepper (wonderfully played by Gwenyth Paltrow again). But it only gets worse when a terrorist named The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley, putting on a chilling accent) starts wreaking havoc across the globe.

Guy Pearce shows up as a scientist named Aldrich Killian (what a villain name), and if you know anything about Guy Pearce, you can assume Aldrich isn't very nice. Rebecca Hall, who is very underrated might I add, shows up as Maya, a scientist girl that Tony met in the 90s. And Don Cheadle reprises his Iron Man 2 role as Jim Rhoades, Tony's best friend. There are a lot of plot details that I will leave out because I want you to see Iron Man 3 with an empty mind, otherwise it can't be enjoyed.

I was feeling a lot of things throughout Iron Man 3. I was really into it in the first half hour. Then, these weird fire people showed up, and I thought, "Oh God, are we watching Thor?" (I actually love Thor, but I found the blend of fantasy at first off). But as the film went on it all made sense and I accepted it. Then, I was also feeling de ja vu, because I felt like Killian and Mandarin were fairly similar to Justin Hammer and Ivan from the previous. But that is one of the wonderful things about Iron Man 3: It's unpredictable.

Iron Man 3 is damn good. The heart and soul of this trilogy is Downey Jr., and here is is at his best doing what he does best. Iron Man is my favorite of The Avengers, and really, could you blame me? Downey's amazing. What helps this time is the fact that this one is directed and co-written by Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Black has a gift with blending action with humor, and this is easily the funniest of the trilogy. It is also the best acted.

I had a total blast here. Is it as good as something like The Dark Knight trilogy? Well, if you know my stance on that trilogy, then that answer is obvious. Is it as good as the first two? Yes, and maybe even better. The film has a great energy, a great sense of humor, some terrific surprises and some terrific action sequences that will leave the inner nerd within jumping for joy.

I find it difficult to give comic book movies a 10/10, mainly because I have such a high standard when it comes to them. Yes, perfect comic book movies exist. Is Iron Man 3 perfect? Not quite, because it doesn't exactly have the themes that the perfect comic book movies acquire. In other words, I wasn't moved by it. But that's okay, because the Iron Man trilogy isn't meant to be taken as seriously as some others, and so they shouldn't. But no comic book movie in a long time has danced this close to perfection in a long time. This could be the end of Iron Man. I hope it isn't, but at least he goes out in style.

A-

...i choose to see this movie as being misunderstood by fans of the comic...

Author: bcheng93 from ny ny
5 March 2014

i see all the fans of the iron-man comics are all heated up and gave this movie very lukewarm reviews and meanwhile most critics liked it. i think i know why...you see...once upon a time i was a huge fan of comic books and iron-man was one of my favorites. as i recall the main gripe i have and every comic fan out there is that they really did injustice to the main villain, if you've read the comic then you'll understand.

even though i use to be a comic book fan, i am also a movie fan too! i see this movie in the same light that the critics do and i would actually give this movie an 8. you see, if you just ignore the huge change they made to the main villain compared to the comic, then the movie stands up very well on its own.

come on people, how can you not like a movie with a cast including : will sadler, miguel ferrer, rebecca hall, guy pearce, robert downey jr,don cheadle and more and everybody looked like they were having fun doing this movie. besides that you also have a very strong message about private corporation sponsored custom made terrorists. that is a very real and scary threat, all you need is one big nut-job in a high position to do so.

the special effects are worth a mention, they were spectacular and for people that said it was slow and not enough action, i say phooey, it had as much as the previous two and the pacing i felt was better also.

the movie had a nice intelligent script and very competent actors and if you are a fan of twists in movies, this one has a few.

so...all you iron-man comic book fans have to try to cool off and watch this movie and see and relate to it as a movie and then give your opinion. for me personally, this is the 4th time i've watched the movie and unlike the other comic book movies this one seems to get better with every viewing.

if you were to leave the comic book fans out of the voting( there is a lot of them it seems ) and just leave it to the critics and fans of movies then this movie would at least be an 8 on IMDb.

Not as good as the original, but close

Author: William Samuel from United States
7 December 2014

Five years ago, Tony Stark hit the big screen in style. Smart, action packed, and brilliantly acted, Iron Man was the best Marvel Comics movie yet. But the follow up two years later was something of a disappointment. Iron Man 2 was by no means a bad movie, and it certainly had its moments, but it simply didn't capture the awesomeness of its predecessor. Now the third installment has remedied most of its flaws, delivering summer entertainment that's fully satisfying, if not quite equal to the first film.

Iron Man 3 is not the kind of movie to waste much time on set up. From the get go it's clear that all is not well for Tony. He's got his suits and the woman he loves, his company is on stable footing, but there's a shadow looming over him. Because there's a new enemy striking at America from the shadows. A terrorist mastermind who can attack anywhere, anytime leaving no trace but broken bodies and smoldering wreckage. When challenged, he will stretch Tony to his very limits, taking everything that Iron Man can throw at him. And his name is Mandarin.

This is what every fanboy has been waiting for. As great a villain as Obadiah Stane was, the first movie still left one question in the back of my mind; what about the Mandarin? Where is Iron Man's oldest and deadliest foe? This question became more pressing as Tony battled B-list villains like Whiplash and Justin Hammer during the second film. Well now the arch nemesis is here, along with AIM founder Aldrich Killian and a small army of super powered enforcers. And when we finally meet him, he's the absolute last thing you would expect. Purists will no doubt complain about how far the Mandarin has been taken from his source material, but I've got to say that the version they've come up with here is simply brilliant.

The rest of the plot line is also excellent by summer blockbuster standards. Though it draws on key points from the recent Extremis, Haunted, and World's Most Wanted story arcs, the story here is completely new and rarely predicable, even to those who are well read in the comics. The villains' scheme is truly masterful, and there are some excellent twists and suitably shocking revelations towards the end.

And of course there's plenty of action, and it rocks. By now we've seen that Tony can take on nearly anything in his armor, which is why the movie does the smart thing and forces him to go without for an extended period of time. With only bits and pieces of his tech to help him, the tension is greater and Tony has to rely more on his wit and skill than massive firepower. Of course there are some awesome action scenes when he is suited up, particularly the mid air rescue sequence. And the best has been saved for last in a massive free-for-all involving Tony, Rhodes, Pepper, and more than a dozen sets of armor against the Mandarin's forces.

This is a very fun movie. Robert Downy junior is as awesome as ever, and he's been given a lot to work with. That's not to say that Iron Man 3 is perfect. I never really bought the whole panic attack thing, and I'm not sure the movie needed a pint sized sidekick, though I admit he did produce some good comic relief. And it just didn't feel quite as slick or as evenly paced as the original. But it comes very close, and it's definitely one of the better movies you'll see this summer.

More like over the top!

Author: kosmasp
21 August 2013

Or OTT as some like to say/write. And it definitely is. This is supposed to be a fun summer movie. That is a concept you have to get your head around. Another one is, that Shane Black is back. And I'm thankful for that. I was so excited after "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", but unfortunately it wasn't a commercial success. And though he has proved that he has talent (in writing and also in directing, see his biography), it seemed like Hollywood was done with him.

Fortunately Robert Downey Jr. comes along and with the power he now has, can say: I want him as director. Not sure if it happened exactly like that, but whatever the circumstances, I'm glad he is able to do projects now with the Iron Man 3 success backing him up. As for Downey Jr. he seems to be bargaining for a new deal as Mr. Tony Stark. And he probably will get what he wants. Good for him.

But what about the movie itself? The action is amazing (budget wise you couldn't expect anything less), but there is also a lot of wit in it. The script oozes with clever remarks and great quotes! Trademark Black! There is also clever hints and word plays (concerning the last events of the Avengers that is) and Tony Stark does have another evolution to go through. Great casting and especially great idea with Sir Ben Kingsley. Another "Black-ish" element that is added to the mix. Though I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the characters of the comic itself, I know this movie did what it was supposed to do ... and then some! Let it entertain you!

The best Iron man movie BUT failed short of a peek

Author: Cavalerra from Australia
29 March 2014

To date this is the best Iron man movie without any doubt in my mind. I rarely give movies a rating of 8 and above and I nearly gave this movie a 9. The problem with this movie isn't so much the story or the characters as they all perform beautifully. Tony Stark is as always very well portrayed, Pepper and Warmachine all spot on. The acting is superb and not to be questioned. The visual effects are spot on, the editing however... and here begin the problems.

I believe that in Iron Man 3 one of two things happened: they either had too much or too little footage. I am willing to bet that they had allot more footage than screen time allowed. Now this is great for later BRD releases with more movie time but it becomes somewhat odd in the cinema. The ending felt very rushed for what would've been a full climactic peek of the series that would sum up Tony's mental and physical struggle with his body and his philosophic battle to overcome an illness by building a shell around to protect him. We have all felt vulnerable once or twice in our life but he depicts a man of a serious illness who if given the chance could be perfectly able to climb to the top of a mountain and back. Due to his health restrictions he pretends to be the super hero rather than actually being one...makes sense? Tony wants to be seen and remembered as a remarkable genius but he has to overplay what he doesn't have in health with that which he has in intellect and character; and so Iron Man is born. Sadly Iron Man 3 does everything right for the most part and when the time finally comes to reach that high peek when things really matter (at the very end of the movie) the scenes rush through and leave you gasping for air. biting the pillow in agony.

What makes me really angry is the amount of time they spent in the initial build up of the Mandarin (who is a legit comic book villain) only to make him out to be a run of the mill "b class" actor. They would've cut to the point and shortened the early scenes in favor for more time at the end to really see Tony Stark with a healed heart. Maybe we could have a scene where him and peeper watch a sunrise and tears fall out of his eyes, the burden of illness never there anymore, or where he runs on a field not worried that he will pass out or have some type of cardiac arrest... just a little bit more of how his life improves with his new heart, how he escapes the very thing that most people can't escape with chronic illnesses.

I also didn't like the scene in the plane where Iron Man drops down and save everyone in mid air; dare I say that it didn't feel realistic or believable? There was an absence of real sacrifice as everyone no one really dies and the "bad guys" are more of a nuisance than legit trouble.

Aside from the mentioned above however, I really did enjoy everything else in the film. There was nothing that was negative about it, I highly recommend this movie and if you're a fan of the trilogy you will certainly love this more than the rest.

For me 8/10 an excellent movie, great visual and auditory experience. Excellent acting, the story works out very well, the flow is superb and although a few issues regarding visual time (for certain scenes) and "belive-ability", in others the overall message of Iron Mans struggle is well understand.

Excellent comic action film; watch it!

Author: MovieSonic from United Kingdom
10 December 2013

It took me ages to watch this because of all the conflicting reviews. I thought it was going to be as bad/boring as Terminator Salvation or The Dark Knight Rises.

This film was fantastic! Easily the best of the Iron Mans (although the first will always be 'the best', this one is repeat-watch-worthy).

Now that I know how awesome this film is, I think the negative reviews make more sense: they seem to focus on things like 'but the bad guy isn't the same as the comic' or 'that's not believable' etc. so let's ignore those because that's just irrelevant. The film can still be good without sticking 100% to the comics! I can't believe some people complain about the realism when we're dealing with magic and flying iron man suits but okay, let's mark the film down because the hero didn't break his back quite enough in that scene?! I've given this a ten because the story progresses brilliantly, there are so many extra scenes included that you would normally expect to be edited out to keep the running time down but the fact that they're left in means the film has a well-rounded feel to it. Contrary to some opinions, I like that the woman has the chance to save the day instead of 'just' being eye-candy (Gwyneth wears the most amazing white office power-suit ever; congrats to the designer), it is a bit patronising to just have one scene of saving the day but it's better than nothing. One of the bad guys (Guy Pearce) is building a great profile for himself as being someone to watch out for as he might just steal the show! This film had it all, yes there's a cute kid, but this is Iron Man so it never gets cheesy and actually there are some hilarious scenes between Robert Downey Jr and the kid. There's loads of humour and the action is great.

Everyone gets just the right amount of screen time in my opinion and I'm actually going to watch this again which is rare for me.

10/10 as it's an excellent film - not perfect but excellent.

A new type of Iron Man movie

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
24 August 2014

The third instalment of the highly-successful Iron Man franchise goes off in a different direction to its predecessors. I'll assume that 'part 3' (not including the Avengers) won't be people's first helping of Iron Man lore and they'll probably have a shrewd idea of what to expect from the previous episodes.

However, the film-makers have decided to go in a slightly different direction with this one. I can see their point. It may have felt a bit 'samey' to have yet another villain wearing a suit of armour to battle our sarcastic hero Tony Stark, so they decided to downplay the suits of armour for the better part of the movie. Instead they focused more on 'the man' himself, utilising his deductive powers, rather than just blasting baddies with his lasers.

And, to be blunt, while some people loved it, others hated it. So if you're looking for yet another superhero movies with larger than life baddies and plenty of high-tech, suit-wearing, destructive action, you may feel a little cheated. There is plenty of action (and a suitably explosive climax), but a lot of it involves more hand to hand fighting from Stark.

Personally, I thought it was quite a refreshing turn for a superhero film. Tony Stark always has been and always will be, Iron Man. If I just want to see him in the suit itself, I have parts 1 and 2 to watch. Nice to see something different. Roll on part 4 (and the Avengers 2).

Page 1 of 120:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]