IMDb > Iron Man 3 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man Three

Iron Man 3 More at IMDbPro »Iron Man Three (original title)

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 7.3.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 7.3.
Page 3 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]
Index 735 matching reviews (1185 reviews in total)

Style but no substance. Worst Iron Man ever.

Author: azeeliramli from Malaysia
27 April 2013

The Dark Knight trilogy has set a benchmark for other comic book movies to follow. Not just in terms of action, but also on story-telling. It is proof that you can make things grittier and less campy without sacrificing box office performance. Outside comic book, Skyfall comes to mind. You may lose younger audiences but will more than make it up with the increase of adult viewers searching for quality. I know Iron Man 3 will never be as good as Nolan's Batman, but I clearly don't expect it to be so flatly disappointing as this.

First, the good points.

Lots and lots of action. Spectacular sensory overload. Hardcore Iron Man fans will love this.

Guy Pearce is perfectly cast as villain. This guy is underrated.

Funny extra scene between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. It appears at the end of long main credit, not after the 'animation' credit earlier.

Stan 'The Man' Lee does appear in this. Something I look forward to in every Marvel's movies.

Enough. Now the bad points.

The theme is grittier than previous movies, but the twist around two thirds of the movie about Mandarin is very anti-climax. The director spent considerable screen time developing Mandarin's back story and building up the stress and anxiety among the audiences, only to blow it away. Twist works if the audiences being led to think of something, only to be proved wrong later WITHOUT sacrificing the quality of the character (Bruce Willis' Dr Malcolm Crowe in The Sixth Sense).

The story has many plot holes. Many scenes on project Extremis and the soldiers experimented with it left me thinking, yearning for more information. Early in the movie, Pearce's character talks about using the untapped potential of the human brain but the director fails to develop this idea further and connect it to Extremis. How they manage to explode? What gives them the amazing physical prowess? Why they turn orange? Bla bla bla...

I love Iron Patriot and the new colors, but he doesn't have much screen time.

Mark 42 is supposed to be superior than others. But some scenes will show how weak and fragile it is (breaks into pieces when it hit a lorry on a bridge, when hit a container crane at a port, a child snaps Mark 42's finger easily). Perhaps the intention is for some comic relief, but clearly not funny at all. It undermines the grittier feel of this movie overall and the seriousness of a particular scene specifically. I understand that Mark 42 is still in prototype mode and not battle-ready, as mentioned by Jarvis. So why is Tony Stark gambles his life by using it? Better to use older but battle-ready suit. He clearly has plenty to choose from (Iron Legion).

The comic book movies has been getting more divided these days. On one hand, we have Christopher Nolan's quality adaptations like The Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel (hopefully!) which combine style and substance. On the other hand, we have 'others', which offer only style, with the intention of making big bucks easily by shamelessly cashing-in on popular and established franchises. Iron Man 3 belongs in 'others'.

A story has a beginning, middle and an end. Again, kudos to Nolan for ending his Bat-trilogy before it gets irrelevant. Every director must have balls to do this. Better to exit when you are on top. I hope this is the end of Iron Man movies. I don't give a sh*t anymore about Marvel's Phase 2.

Now bring me MAN OF STEEL!!!

Disappointing. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Author: rocks-patel (rocks.patel@gmail.com) from India
26 April 2013

I hereby write a review in complete frustration after thinking about this movie.

What did Shane Black do? OH GOD WHY?!

The complete hype of Mandarin, the dark scene where Tony carried his suit, what I thought came out all disappointing.

You think there's a Mandarin with 10 rings power? NO! The Mandarin is complete joke here.

First of all, Here, Aldrich Killian says, "I'm Mandarin".. Aldrich Killian and the Mandarin were never the same person. I mean I was like "Whaaa?" The part of me just got died when Tony enters in house looking for Mandarin.

Why do they muck around with the already established story lines? They really should have kept to the basics of the Mandarin story line. In a word disappointing!

The suits of Tony broke every time. I mean, the suits aren't suppose to be like these. Aren't the suits suppose to resist the thunders by Thor's and all stuff? One of the suit here just broke by Truck clashing. "Whaaaa?!"

In terms of story and comic book alignment, Ironman 3 is worst of the three movies.

Worst. MCU Movie. Ever!

Author: Nicholas Smalley from United States
8 May 2015

I was so amazingly excited for this movie. Between the phase two concepts of exploring what a hero is and Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin was so exciting, especially with the promos showing how a regular guy would react to what happened in The Avengers (and what continues to happen now).

The twist with the Mandarin is so bad I yelled "You've got to be f%@#ing kidding me" in the theater. About half of the jokes fall and each interaction with that stupid little kid is just painful. Plus the fact that Pepper Potts is the one who ultimately defeats Aldrich "The Real Mandarin" Killian is the worst finale ever along with destroying all of his suits and getting a procedure (which he could have gotten done in the first movie) to remove the shrapnel is asinine because everyone knows he's going to be back in Avengers 2.

Finally how does Captain America not show up when the god damn president gets kidnapped by a terrorist? What was he doing that was so god damn important he couldn't save the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FREAKING STATES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing made sense

Author: tstromsn from Norway
8 July 2015

Saw this with a friend and we both agreed: All the dialogs between the characters felt cartoony and unrealistic. The main character is acting like an asshole with no feelings, and you have no sympathy for him. I actually wished him dead. He also fights better without his iron man suit, so one wonder why he would even need this suit. The best characters in the movie are the business man villain and the guy who acts the president. These actors give a convincing performance. Too bad they have very little screen-time. The story evolves more about Stark's personal life problems and past than much action with his iron man suit. At one point I was wondering if I was watching iron man. What's left is some mediocre CGI effects and action scenes that makes no sense; One example is a remote guided iron man robot who grabs a villain and flies high up in the air with him. Then the villain ripps of his head and both plumbs to the ground and die. If you were caught by a flying man, would you commit suicide? Add a lot of cliché and predictable dialoge and ending and you end up with a boring ending and a boring movie. This movie was yawnilly boring.

One of the worst movies I have ever watched....and I'm an action/comic fan!

Author: Hasan Sevik from Melbourne, Australia
13 January 2015

Okay, I don't want to overstate things here, so I'll just casually say that this is well and truly one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long, long time.

Where do I start? I can go on and on about how boring, stupid, repetitive, predictable, typical and unbelievable in the worst possible way this movie is. Despite the fact that it goes without saying the movie is based on a fantasy comic book superhero, this pushes the boundaries of idiocy and juvenile.

So, rather than write a 15 page diatribe on what is so poor about this waste of 2 hours, I thought it best to summarise these flaws in point form.

* Three missile-shooting helicopters are powerful enough to blow up a heavily fortified house, destroy several "better model" Iron Man suits, a dozen armour-plated vehicles and an entire Cliffside...yet his unsuccessful, aluminium-plated prototype survives - no, thrives even, saving everyone's life all on it's own as though the "suit" is it's own sentient being. * terrorists use heavily armoured helicopters, but they are obviously no match for a wooden piano flying through a triple-plated glass wall and, without deviation to its trajectory, 50 metres in a straight line through the air. * a 12 year old kid from Tennessee sounds like he's from upstate New York, is smarter than most college graduates, and talks/behaves like an adult. Seriously, why do action movies have kids in them to add a bit of "Ying to his Yang" only to make the kid a small version of an adult? * where did all those Iron Man suits come from? Suddenly he doesn't have a few - he's got 600 of them, and each of them can fly on their own, plan tactics, rescue people and attack the bad guys (that is, after they've identified who they are...all on their own). * how many explosions does Pepper survive? A cut on the cheek? Yep, that's enough to convince me she was "lucky" the entire building collapsed around her and not on her. * I still don't understand...what is the bad guy's problem? So he got stood up on a rooftop - that's enough to be an international terrorist? * Slow motion does not mean everything else slows down except for the main character...who can suddenly move in real time. That's another superhero altogether. * Why does Stark need his suit anyway? Without it, he's like the Hit-man and Solid Snake combined - dodging bullets, throwing bombs, kicking ass and being heroic all whilst being suave and cool and sexy. * Guy Pearce's performance was okay, but wasted on this piece of trash. Sir Ben Kingsley shows why he was knighted just for being the amazing actor he is, but this movie is well beneath his talents. Don Cheadle is a good actor who, unfortunately, seems to like picking crap roles. And Downey Jnr. is, well, the same in this movie as he has been in every single movie he's done since coming back from constant rehab and cocaine and rehab sessions. * and I thought they overdid the acrobatics with Legolas - it seems that Stark can never fall, get injured or be left alone with his nemesis without some sudden appearance from his "suits". * super Pepper takes down the Iron Man suit in one punch - despite a barrage of super-super fire-breathing henchmen unable to make a friggin dent.

I cannot believe that I wasted 2 hours of my existence watching this garbage. I've never seen anything worse in the 36 years I've been alive, and I doubt I will in the coming 36 years. And this is coming from a man who loves action movies, generally doesn't mind comic book adaptations, and is ever hopeful that the wider movie watching public will one day appreciate them more than simply those who are fans. But, in saying all that, these disappointments provide more than enough evidence to prove why, maybe, they are made too often lately. Let's hope this was the last movie with Downey Jnr., and Iron Man, and that Gwyneth Paltrow can get a real job...say, flipping burgers at McDonald's.

# 75 : Iron man : the new lethal weapon ? (web)

Author: leplatypus from PariS
6 August 2014

The first movie was close to a classic. The second was totally ridiculous and this one is just offensive !

First, Iron Man don't do politics ! Iron Man is not the toy of POTUS and is not in charge of diplomacy. OK : Moore took this angle with Watchmen and his Dr. Manhattan but Marvel comics were never about this !

Second, Mandarin is a Chinese ! Whatever his motives are, you can't change that he is Chinese ! So picking « Gandhi » to do the part is just close to racism ! Not one Chinese was available ?

Third, at first, i thought it was again Favreau behind the camera. When i noticed it was happening on Christmas season, i thought it was cool as except « Lethal Weapon » not a lot of blockbuster choose this period. Then, with his Malibu mansion destroyed and falling, it was again more « Lethal Weapon » again. Next, the finale happens inside the deck of big boats, again as « Lethal Weapon ». So when i saw Shane Black as director and writer, I was surprised but not very much ! In fact, he has transplanted all the trademarks of his franchise for this movie : white crazy / black serious buddy talk, the lame bad guy (Guy Pearce as bad as usual) and ultra-violence ! So I say stop : As a teen, reading Iron Man was not counting the dead toll ! Here, Stark kills, pulverizes as much as enemies as he can and it's not the Marvel way, it's not the character !

Now, Marvel lines up a lot great disappointing movies and franchise : Thor, Iron Man, X-men, Avengers, Spider-man ! It's time they return to their first movies and read as well a lot of their own comics to understand what's is Marvel and what's crap ! Excelsior !

Stupid

Author: farahpeter-537-598260
5 May 2014

This movie had all lot of potential ,but the way it tried to twist the plot was awful. If you have not all ready seen this terrible movie let me spoil it for you and save you from going to family video and spending your money. This movie tries to be a comedy and fails at that.

This movie took the Mandarin and threw him away. If you did not know all ready the turns out to be a actor and tries to make it a funny moment (it didn't work) Trust me I wanted this movie to be great, but it sucked. Shane Black is a terrible director. If he directs another movie I won't bother seeing it. when the plot twist of Trevor happened I wanted to walk out the theater.

Blasphemy

Author: ryannapril from United States
9 October 2013

Irritated. A little while back my wife and I vowed to not watch nay movie that blasphemed the Name of God. Where many movie writers and directors will not dare to tread on sensitive subject, they certainly make their stance clear when breaking this simple command. DO not take the Lord's name in vane. Not that hard. I bought this movie and just before watching it I IMDb'd it to make sure there was no blasphemy. ONE. One single GD. The editors could not take out one word that many of us Christians find intolerable. The movie is going back tomorrow. I will never watch it. I am sure it is great and fun. I will not compromise for a 2 hour kick. I cant watch Oblivian either. I love scifi movies. Tell me this writers: If scifi movies deal outside of the idea of God...then what sense does it make that a character uses the Name of God in a cuss word in your dialog??????? Sorry so serious :) Love you all

I feel sick

Author: Patrick Verner
26 September 2013

I loved the first two Iron Man movies and almost anything else Marvel has done. This movie felt like it was made for TV. I haven't been this disappointed since Star Wars Episode I. The worst part is Iron Man 3 didn't have a "Darth Maul". There was absolutely nothing great about this movie. If Thor 2 is this bad, Marvel is in serious trouble. Nobody is going to risk paying to see Winter Soldier in the theater. I'm typically easy to please with movies. I'm one of those people that likes almost every movie I see to the point of annoying people. This movie was horrible bottom of the barrel stupid. The thing that angers me the most is the fact that the previews looked great! If this movie was what the previews pretended it was, I would be giving this movie a 9. I have never seen previews this deceptive. It wasn't even a decent popcorn movie. It was just bad.

Burn in hell Shane Black!!!

Author: vlashka-khvan
22 February 2015

This movie was excruciatingly terrible due to the fact that PEPPER, the useless damsel in distress was a hero all of a sudden! Why would you call it Iron Man if its just Tony and his adventures in anxiety! This movie used anxiety as an excuse to spend less money on special effects! Then the fact that Trevor was an 'actor' was a waste of Ben Kingsley. Thing to improve: Pepper, kill her, Extremis, correct it, Mandarin, make the Mandarin the Mandarin!

Wait, scrap that, just change the whole movie!!!!!!!! Or Just burn the tapes and forget it.

This movie is a disgrace to Iron Man