IMDb > Iron Man 3 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Iron Man 3

Iron Man 3 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 118:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

How could they mess this up so bad?

Author: sirdavidofthecourt from Portugal
27 April 2013

This is my first review and I'm writing it because the critics are all praising this film so much.

Let me tell you, if you like Iron Man in any way and/or are familiar with the mythology, do not pay to watch this film. This is a poor excuse of a plot that outright spits in the face of fans and destroys one of Marvel's most powerful villains. Seriously, the Mandarin is Tony Stark's antithesis; their conflict was always the symbol for magic vs. science. Like Joker's insanity contradicts Batman's great use of logic. In Iron Man 3 they ruined him so bad only a reboot could save the character (and believe me, I hate reboots as much as everyone). The Mandarin is now used as a joke character with the main twist just playing for laughs (or in my case, tears). This guy should have ten powerful magical rings that alone could rival the Avengers' powers combined. Was this "adaptation" really the best thing to do? Magic CAN be done on the big screen, they've done Norse Gods! Ten Rings are nothing compared to that...

Other than that, the film still wouldn't be good. Shane Black writes comedy action films, only this time the comedy is much more cringe worthy and not really funny, and the action probably sums up about 20% of the film. The main plot-device for armor malfunctions, power-downs and or stupid failures is so overused I was wondering how could they ever fill up 120 minutes without it. The actual Iron Man suit is so underused that you'll think this is Bourne or Bond you're watching. Also noteworthy: If a film relies on poop jokes for a quick laugh, it got as low as it'll ever get.

Also, I must say Rhodes (War Machine) needs a plot arc. He's a tool. I love Don's work in the role and think he's charismatic (as are RDJ and Gwyneth), but he needs to have some kind of a story.

Other new characters' besides the Mandarin are really hit and miss. This series' villains really have become one-note. We all know the bad guy is the one wearing the fancy suit that wants corporate power and tries to take over. Special mention goes to Maya, that one person who changes her mind all the time and leaves the film never having stepped in in the first place.

Wait, I'm not done yet. There's also a kid "side-kick" and you guessed it. He's in an hostage scene! Well, that's some good innovative writing right there! All in all, this is as bad or even worse than X-Men: The Last Stand. Beware of the actual ending that retcons everything about Tony's back-story. I don't know how Marvel green-lighted this script, I really don't! I know any fan could have done it much better!

I do not understand how this script was OK'd by Marvel

Author: deflep318 from United States
3 May 2013

I would have gone into detail and actually clicked on spoiler but there is no need. Looks like at least 100 people did that already tonight. So I am just going to hit the high notes and the low notes and call it a night.

The good It was an OK movie. Not great, not good. but I got to see explosions and hear one liners.

Pretty good acting by the major players. Kingsly particularly was great with what they gave him.

Stay for the ending credits for a small laugh

The bad

This script sucks They completely retcon'd a major villain and a major organization. Screwing them up for any future marvel movie. Seriously screwed the pooch on that.

This was a Tony Stark story, not an Iron Man Story It appears that Tony must have got some shield training because now the rich guy that only knows how to blast people and tackle people acts more like a cross between Macguyver and Hawkeye then Iron Man.

They screw up several major plot points from the first two movies such as why Tony has a superconductor in his chest to begin with and the weapon systems war-machine uses.

Finally, Where the hell is Nick Fury. Iron man does not need to have Nick Fury in his movies. Except when that movie basically deals with domestic terrorism on a massive front. If you see this movie you will see a part specifically where iron man calls out a major bad guy in the press and says bring it on I will be here. In the marvel universe there is no way in hell something that public would not have shield all over it. Especially since Tony Stark basically builds their cool stuff.

A welcome return to form, this trilogy capper overcomes a weak start to impress with unexpected buddy chemistry, surprising plot twists and exhilarating action

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
24 April 2013

Tony Stark might be at his best with his gadgets, but ironically his movies are best when he is without them. 'Iron Man 3' is a perfect demonstration of that – for the first 40 mins, Stark is the same arrogant, cocksure person he was in the self-important 'Iron Man 2'; and then after crashing and burning in his damaged suit in the middle of a wintry expanse, Stark is forced to start over, and that rebirth brings back what made the first 'Iron Man' so infectiously entertaining in the first place.

Indeed, you've been warned – don't expect 'Iron Man 3' to be firing from all cylinders right from the get-go as 'The Avengers' did; rather, the road to that payoff is slow and bumpy. This is a 'post-Avengers' Stark, traumatised by his near-death experience closing the Chitauri wormhole back in New York. At the expense of sleep and his relationship with the ever-lovely Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), Stark throws himself into work – which to him means further refining his 'Iron Man' armour. In the meantime, he leaves the heavy lifting to Colonel Rhodes (Don Cheadle), commissioned by the President to fight terror in the War Machine suit (basically the 'Iron Man' fighting machine but in the patriotic colours of red, white and blue).

Col Rhodes' latest target is a terrorist going by the monicker of 'The Mandarin', who has brought his war to home soil after targeting US installations abroad. Only when his former driver cum good friend, Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau), is fatally injured does Stark sit up and pay attention, and in an ill-advised and egotistical move, reveal his home address in an outright challenge to The Mandarin. That, as you would already know from the trailer, leaves his oceanside home decimated and Stark in a barely functioning suit in the snow-covered wilds of Tennessee.

Up to this point, a lot of what is meant to pass as wisecracks is exchanged as dialogue among Stark, Potts and Hogan, but the smart- talking isn't particularly amusing or engaging and gets increasingly tiresome after a while. But as we said at the start, it is precisely when Stark is forced to start over that the movie starts getting into the groove. Abandoning the slick and sleek mechanical tricks and gimmicks, the middle act settles into a surprisingly old-school act in a small-town-USA where Stark had meant to visit to investigate a recent incident which he suspects is linked to The Mandarin.

There, some of the sparkiest repartee unfolds between Stark and a young kid he meets, Harley (Ty Simpson), who will not only enable him to overcome his PTSD but also become an unlikely pre-pubescent sidekick. The rapport between Stark and Harley significantly enlivens the film, with the 'connection' (there is a special meaning to the quotation here) between them perhaps the most poignant relationship developed here. Thankfully, the delightfully warm and witty midsection only makes the film better from here onwards.

Surpassing expectations of a straightforward good-versus-bad showdown, veteran action movie screenwriter Shane Black and his first-time feature film writer Drew Pearce engineer a couple of elegant twists, including an ingenious revelation on the true identity of The Mandarin. Not to worry, we're not in spoiler mode here, but suffice to say that it is probably the very reason why Academy Award-winning actor Ben Kingsley was enticed to the role. And with that surprise comes the action that you've been waiting for from this summer blockbuster.

Black, who is making his sophomore feature film, offers up two eye- popping set pieces. The first sees a daring attack on Air Force One in mid-air, leaving 13 people in free-fall and a truly exhilarating sequence where Iron Man gets to play 'barrel of monkeys' with all of them and guide them to safety. The second is the elaborate and game- changing climax – not only for the fact that it is the first and only time in the whole movie that we see the Iron Legion in action, but also because it comes to a startling conclusion that re-establishes the dynamic between Stark and Potts. Both are even more astounding considering Black's last and first movie was a crime caper called 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' that never would have primed you into thinking he was capable of such spectacle.

But one supposes that Robert Downey Jr must have seen that potential in Black to recommend him as the candidate to take over Favreau, the familiarity between actor and director paying off in how the former trusts the latter to take the character in a different direction. While he was vulnerable before, Stark did not have the same attachment as he does here with Potts or the same sense of introspection that is evident in his voice-over. In turn, Downey Jr. gives his best performance as Tony Stark/ Iron Man yet, with a newfound sense of frailty that develops convincingly into humility to match his heroics.

Disagree if you must, but we always loved Stark more when he was less full of himself, and a refreshingly new aspect here is the buddy element that sees Stark pairing first with Harley and then with Col Rhodes. In particular, the finale sees a rousing partnership with the latter – both Downey Jr and Cheadle clearly enjoying trading quips and barbs at each other while saving the day. And given how the 'Iron Man' movies have been at their most rousing when Stark rebuilds himself, the last shot of Stark beginning a new phase in his life bodes well for the future of the franchise, especially if it is to continue its life outside of 'The Avengers'.

Iron Man 3 delivers in spades.

Author: foreverknight47 from Norwich, Norfolk UK
4 May 2013

Saw IRON MAN 3 last night and it was superb. It was the sequel IRON MAN 2 should have been but wasn't and the perfect extrapolation of life after AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. The set pieces are suitably awesome and the acting performances are uniformly excellent from the leads right down to the tiniest bit part (there's a jewel of a cameo from a guard that upstages even Downey's comic timing). The script gets the balance between the epic and the personal just right and Sir Ben delivers two performance for the price of one and both are genius (can't say more - spoilers!). Mr Downey Jr also manages to show even more of the complexity of Tony Stark. Just when you think there's no more to be fracked out of that particular mine, he goes deeper. The writer set out to deliver a fun story and that's exactly what it is. It draws you in from the first moments and doesn't let go. What more could you possibly want?

Iron Man 3 is damn good.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
4 May 2013

With comic book movies, there is a repeating cycle. The first one has our attention. The sequel, most of the time (in the case of Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight, X2, etc.), outdoes the original. But then we are eventually faced with the third part. In some cases (The Dark Knight Rises), the third part kicks ass. In most cases (Spider-man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand), they are the weakest. Luckily, this is simply not the case for Iron Man 3.

The film takes place after the events of The Avengers, and Tony Stark (the always wonderfully charismatic Robert Downey Jr.) is falling apart. He's losing sleep, he's having anxiety attacks, and he is slowly becoming distant from his faithful girlfriend Pepper (wonderfully played by Gwenyth Paltrow again). But it only gets worse when a terrorist named The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley, putting on a chilling accent) starts wreaking havoc across the globe.

Guy Pearce shows up as a scientist named Aldrich Killian (what a villain name), and if you know anything about Guy Pearce, you can assume Aldrich isn't very nice. Rebecca Hall, who is very underrated might I add, shows up as Maya, a scientist girl that Tony met in the 90s. And Don Cheadle reprises his Iron Man 2 role as Jim Rhoades, Tony's best friend. There are a lot of plot details that I will leave out because I want you to see Iron Man 3 with an empty mind, otherwise it can't be enjoyed.

I was feeling a lot of things throughout Iron Man 3. I was really into it in the first half hour. Then, these weird fire people showed up, and I thought, "Oh God, are we watching Thor?" (I actually love Thor, but I found the blend of fantasy at first off). But as the film went on it all made sense and I accepted it. Then, I was also feeling de ja vu, because I felt like Killian and Mandarin were fairly similar to Justin Hammer and Ivan from the previous. But that is one of the wonderful things about Iron Man 3: It's unpredictable.

Iron Man 3 is damn good. The heart and soul of this trilogy is Downey Jr., and here is is at his best doing what he does best. Iron Man is my favorite of The Avengers, and really, could you blame me? Downey's amazing. What helps this time is the fact that this one is directed and co-written by Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Black has a gift with blending action with humor, and this is easily the funniest of the trilogy. It is also the best acted.

I had a total blast here. Is it as good as something like The Dark Knight trilogy? Well, if you know my stance on that trilogy, then that answer is obvious. Is it as good as the first two? Yes, and maybe even better. The film has a great energy, a great sense of humor, some terrific surprises and some terrific action sequences that will leave the inner nerd within jumping for joy.

I find it difficult to give comic book movies a 10/10, mainly because I have such a high standard when it comes to them. Yes, perfect comic book movies exist. Is Iron Man 3 perfect? Not quite, because it doesn't exactly have the themes that the perfect comic book movies acquire. In other words, I wasn't moved by it. But that's okay, because the Iron Man trilogy isn't meant to be taken as seriously as some others, and so they shouldn't. But no comic book movie in a long time has danced this close to perfection in a long time. This could be the end of Iron Man. I hope it isn't, but at least he goes out in style.

More like over the top!

Author: kosmasp
21 August 2013

Or OTT as some like to say/write. And it definitely is. This is supposed to be a fun summer movie. That is a concept you have to get your head around. Another one is, that Shane Black is back. And I'm thankful for that. I was so excited after "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", but unfortunately it wasn't a commercial success. And though he has proved that he has talent (in writing and also in directing, see his biography), it seemed like Hollywood was done with him.

Fortunately Robert Downey Jr. comes along and with the power he now has, can say: I want him as director. Not sure if it happened exactly like that, but whatever the circumstances, I'm glad he is able to do projects now with the Iron Man 3 success backing him up. As for Downey Jr. he seems to be bargaining for a new deal as Mr. Tony Stark. And he probably will get what he wants. Good for him.

But what about the movie itself? The action is amazing (budget wise you couldn't expect anything less), but there is also a lot of wit in it. The script oozes with clever remarks and great quotes! Trademark Black! There is also clever hints and word plays (concerning the last events of the Avengers that is) and Tony Stark does have another evolution to go through. Great casting and especially great idea with Sir Ben Kingsley. Another "Black-ish" element that is added to the mix. Though I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the characters of the comic itself, I know this movie did what it was supposed to do ... and then some! Let it entertain you!

An entertaining superhero film that surpassed its predecessors

Author: YJLcool from Malaysia
25 April 2013

Iron Man 3 is a fast-paced, entertaining sci-fi action thriller that turned out better than its disappointing predecessor.

This time around, there's no distracting Avengers subplot and the main focus goes to the main character instead. Once again, Robert Downey Jr. is at his best and fits his role perfectly as the arrogant, smart-ass Tony Stark by delivering sharp witty dialogue that make the film downright hilarious. Great round of applause for the people who's responsible for thinking up the various ways Tony can put on the suits in the film, well done!

However, the film crossed the borderline of science fiction and science fantasy. There are things in the film that's simply could not happen in reality under any circumstances, which some movie-goers might find it hard to accept. As a person who knows the cartoon and comics, the direction the film took for the characters and the "Extremis" story arc is questionable. Some Marvel fans/purists will find it unacceptable, but for casual movie-goers, the plot is great and it's really a personal story about the titular hero.

Iron Man 3 showed that it's not just a superhero film, but a smart comedy film as well. So, in the end, does the suit make the man or does the man make the suit? Well, you damn well know what the answer is after finish watching this film.

Not as good as the original, but close

Author: William Samuel from United States
7 December 2014

Five years ago, Tony Stark hit the big screen in style. Smart, action packed, and brilliantly acted, Iron Man was the best Marvel Comics movie yet. But the follow up two years later was something of a disappointment. Iron Man 2 was by no means a bad movie, and it certainly had its moments, but it simply didn't capture the awesomeness of its predecessor. Now the third installment has remedied most of its flaws, delivering summer entertainment that's fully satisfying, if not quite equal to the first film.

Iron Man 3 is not the kind of movie to waste much time on set up. From the get go it's clear that all is not well for Tony. He's got his suits and the woman he loves, his company is on stable footing, but there's a shadow looming over him. Because there's a new enemy striking at America from the shadows. A terrorist mastermind who can attack anywhere, anytime leaving no trace but broken bodies and smoldering wreckage. When challenged, he will stretch Tony to his very limits, taking everything that Iron Man can throw at him. And his name is Mandarin.

This is what every fanboy has been waiting for. As great a villain as Obadiah Stane was, the first movie still left one question in the back of my mind; what about the Mandarin? Where is Iron Man's oldest and deadliest foe? This question became more pressing as Tony battled B-list villains like Whiplash and Justin Hammer during the second film. Well now the arch nemesis is here, along with AIM founder Aldrich Killian and a small army of super powered enforcers. And when we finally meet him, he's the absolute last thing you would expect. Purists will no doubt complain about how far the Mandarin has been taken from his source material, but I've got to say that the version they've come up with here is simply brilliant.

The rest of the plot line is also excellent by summer blockbuster standards. Though it draws on key points from the recent Extremis, Haunted, and World's Most Wanted story arcs, the story here is completely new and rarely predicable, even to those who are well read in the comics. The villains' scheme is truly masterful, and there are some excellent twists and suitably shocking revelations towards the end.

And of course there's plenty of action, and it rocks. By now we've seen that Tony can take on nearly anything in his armor, which is why the movie does the smart thing and forces him to go without for an extended period of time. With only bits and pieces of his tech to help him, the tension is greater and Tony has to rely more on his wit and skill than massive firepower. Of course there are some awesome action scenes when he is suited up, particularly the mid air rescue sequence. And the best has been saved for last in a massive free-for-all involving Tony, Rhodes, Pepper, and more than a dozen sets of armor against the Mandarin's forces.

This is a very fun movie. Robert Downy junior is as awesome as ever, and he's been given a lot to work with. That's not to say that Iron Man 3 is perfect. I never really bought the whole panic attack thing, and I'm not sure the movie needed a pint sized sidekick, though I admit he did produce some good comic relief. And it just didn't feel quite as slick or as evenly paced as the original. But it comes very close, and it's definitely one of the better movies you'll see this summer.

Action, humor, stakes, flaws, and a whole lotta Downey & Kingsley & Pearce

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
8 November 2014

Iron Man 'Three'. I want to write about this before the general thoughts: by now you may know the "twist", but why even say that? The entertainment comes from going in cold, after all, and it's the kind of thing that has drawn audiences down in a polar sort of way. You find out what is really going on with a character, and it... is hilarious. For me. It does something different, it alters the expectations that come with such a blockbuster that delivers the same-old same-old, and most of all, the filmmakers understand that they can make a point here too, as Iron Man did in 2008: a little statement about the world we're living in, in that case it was the militarization of the third world, and here it's media manipulation. It doesn't over-do it; and the actor's revelation is just splendid. I can see why it'd p-off some folks though, especially if you really really really wanted to see this particular character.

This would be higher up on the list of Marvel movies in general, except for one really irksome character flaw at the end. What is an otherwise highly entertaining and smashingly-though-darkly absurd climactic battle on a bunch of naval ships, which is that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) decides to blow up his remaining suits. It seemed like such a needless act, even for the likes of Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), especially as we in the audience know how many more times Stark will return in the suit in future films (whether it's *only* Avengers 2 or other films, it's not a question of if but how much).

And yet, aside from this, it's a fun summer movie that takes some real chances – Ben Kingsley, nuff said – and always keeps its heart in the right place as Stark, who faces some big risks with the likes of the Mandarin and Guy Pearce's Killian, doesn't stop for a sarcastic barb, a moment of self-conscious knowing, and Black as writer/director keeps the action, humor, thrills, and spectacle moving at an intelligent, coherent clip, not to mention Downey, who fills the role and conflicts of Stark with bravura as always. It was the only summer blockbuster I could stand seeing more than once (though I really tried for another HUGE spectacle, which we'll get to in a moment).

It made sense, & I love it for that.

Author: lRandomnessl from Manchester
12 October 2013

The movie relates deeply with the previous 3 (including the Avengers) and the psychological state of Tony Stark in the whole movie made sense and gave a fair share of events! Can't really complain of anything, the originality in the development of the plot as an extension of what it followed tops everything else. The humor was there, the love moments were there, the action was there and on top *spoiler* Bruce Banner was there :D Gotta love these two together, glad Marvel is feeling the same way. Really really really excited to see how his return will be played out for Iron Man 4 or The Avengers 2, I have complete faith in there brilliancy with writing.

Good work Marvel.