The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

An absolute atrocity.

Author: Colin D. from United States
1 January 2013

I am both confused and angered at the filmmakers for choosing to go this route with the supposed "sequel" to The Boondock Saints. This time round it appears that the director was going for an action-comedy, but way too heavy on the so-called "comedy." The action was somewhat there, but cheesy, and the comedy was even cheesier. The detectives were basically complete buffoons and relied entirely on Eunice Bloom (Julie Benz), the protégé of Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) of the first film. Do not get me started on Benz. Her terribly fake southern accent only complemented her god awful acting. The antagonists, some sort of Italian mafia, were just as infuriating. They were a bunch of goofy morons and really could not be taken seriously. In fact, the entire film was basically one giant joke, so they really fit in quite nicely I suppose. I'm honestly surprised I managed to watched the film all the way through. In short, All Saints Day is a complete insult to the first film and an utter waste of time. Do yourself a favor and watch something worthwhile.

Epic disappointment

Author: ashleynwaldron from United States
17 November 2012

After discovering the first Boondock Saints in high school, it instantly became my all-time favorite movie. I've lost track of how many times I've watched the movie over the years, or how many times my husband and I have laughingly quoted some of our favorite lines.

So when I first heard they were doing a sequel, I was thrilled. Especially when -after such a long amount of time in-between- they even had a lot of the original cast. Could this get any better?

And then, my husband watched it with his brother one night. Came home, and told me not to even bother. I was shocked. It couldn't be that bad right? He assured me that it would even taint the first one for me.

I couldn't believe that. There was no possible way. And yet... when I sat down and watched this god-awful train wreck of a movie, I couldn't even force myself past the first twenty-five minutes.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this. The terrible script, and crappy, awkward dialogue? The idiot who was supposed to be Rocco's replacement? Whoever that stupid, horrible acting bimbo was? The horrible, crappy villains?

This movie was probably the biggest sequel disappointment I've ever seen. And my husband was right... While I still love the first movie, I can't watch it without thinking of this fail movie.

Lightning Doesn't Strike Twice

Author: Bret Devies from Olympia, WA
23 June 2011

The first issue with this movie is that the director, Troy Duffy, is a one-hit wonder. In the realm of directing, this is a rare occurrence. However, with the cult success of the first movie, he had a lot of work to ensure the second one lives up to it. I've heard many say that this movie works better if left uncompared to the original. Viewed as a stand-alone film. And even though, it's only average at best. Regardless of that, this movie is a sequel, and sequels are specifically intended to be at least comparable to the original. Ocean's Twelve wasn't as good as Ocean's Eleven, but it wasn't horrible. Meanwhile, All Saint's Day breaks all the rules of what not to do. They use direct replacements for characters who died or disappeared from the first film. Not just once, but three times. All of the wit and elegance of the first film is abandoned for poorly executed fart, poop, and sex jokes. The last lines of a main character are, "Cock and balls!" Yelled as he enters the room, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. This is one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. The only reason it gets a three is because of the two main characters, who at times do decent jobs, and for the last few scenes of the movie, which are decent. However, Troy Duffy has proved that The Boondock Saints was a stroke of luck, and that he in fact does not have any talent whatsoever.

A disappointment, truly

Author: LSGPhoenix from United States
7 June 2011

After the original became a cult classic, to the displeasure of anyone still working in Hollywood after the 90's, we all hoped that Troy may make a triumphant return and do another piece. He did, but he didn't do it justice.

Too many plot lines. The detectives are now bumbling keystone cops??? The McManus brothers have been hiding for 10 years after vowing, publicly, to make evil-doers pay? How lazy have you become? This monstrosity should prove that apparently Mr. Duffy has only one trick up his sleeve.

Only the last 15 minutes, when the two veteran actors come out to play, is worth watching. Needless to say you can watch this scene alone and know what's going on, don't bother trying to piece it together from the rest of the movie. It's a stand-alone plot!

Obviously some poor schmuck decided he would try to make a dollar on the cult status of the original by giving Duffy a slightly higher budget to do a sequel. I believe it's safe to say this river has run dry.

Duffy should never direct another movie

Author: andrew-664-291100 from United States
17 February 2010

First let me state that I really enjoyed the first Boondock Saints. It was a wonderfully entertaining ride. This sequel is tired and not worth the time it takes to watch, unless you are a fan of the first one.

The first half of this movie is a real mess. The director has issues picking a style and sticking with it. The acting is forced and not at all believable. I got the distinct impression that the actors were probably pushed to to the point of over-acting. I nearly left after the first 15 minutes because I felt like I was watching a high school project film.

The second half picked up a bit and started to really make a difference. I could finally see some redeeming qualities. The acting got a little more serious and the story started to come together. I wasn't a big fan of the abrupt transition that took place about an hour and twenty minutes in (there were two many transitions at once and this could have been spread out a little more to create some continuity between the stories).

At the end of the movie I was happy that I stayed because I did get a continuation of the story that I have been missing for the past 10 years. I hope that Duffy writes another one but gets a director that is capable of bringing out the best performance from the actors throughout the entire duration of the film. I'm only giving this film 3 stars because as a whole it is a poorly made movie.

"Let's do some gratuitous violence."

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
27 June 2015

Well this was pretty terrible, granted it had its moments but they were few and far between. I'm not sure what this movie was trying to be exactly, a comedy what with the antics and ridiculous dialogue of the three stooges cops routine, a fantasy, a stylized shootout movie? It's a violent trigger happy ride whatever the case.

Ultimately I barely made it through this which was so disappointing after the cult classic awesomeness of the first movie. I did enjoy Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flanery and some of the shootout scenes are well stylized and cool looking (Billy Connolly) but with the plot being more of an afterthought than anything else this just ended up feeling disjointed, unoriginal, absurd and over-the-top.

The storyline (as it were) follows the MacManus brothers who return to Boston to take on the mob after a local priest is killed in cold blood and left with all the distinguishing trademarks of a Macmanus hit. With the blame falling on the brothers they are out for bloody justice.

Special shout out to Judd Nelson who brings a whole new meaning to overacting. Just terrible. And I also had to laugh at the endless talk of forced bum humping and cock sandwiches. Mentioned so many times and in so many different ways it was like homophobic overcompensation for what they actually wanted. Anyways... 6/9/15

not cool enough to be good

Author: SnoopyStyle
24 April 2015

The MacManus brothers (Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus) are with their father (Billy Connolly) in an isolated farm in Ireland. A priest in Boston has been killed in a church using their style. The brothers dig up their other life and return to Boston to avenge the killing. FBI SPECIAL Agent Eunice Bloom (Julie Benz) takes over the investigation from the incompetent local cops. On the freighter to America, the brothers are joined by Mexican fighter Romeo (Clifton Collins Jr.). Concezio Yakavetta (Judd Nelson) has taken over the gang after his father's killing by the MacManus.

The over-stylized mannerisms are interesting for a little while. However it becomes more of a distraction. It's not compelling enough to be interesting. It's not cool enough to be good. Julie Benz's accent gets a bit annoying. Billy Connolly only has a short cameo and the boys don't have his charisma. Everything is a little bit annoying like Judd Nelson and the movie is a messy mix.

Not only weak, but annoying too

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
3 September 2014

(19%) I haven't seen the first, and I'm not too sure if I want to after watching this. Main issue here is that they tried to cover up the crap plot with a thick helping of overblown garbage that stinks up all the movie's problems resulting in them if anything being highlighted and more clear. The two leads are an insult to 2D poorly fleshed comicbook characters, and the strong desire to be cool comes across as forced and annoying. The performances at times are acceptable for this type of thing, but the script is hampered by clueless dialogue and lackluster plot structure. Also, how many times can these Irish Jules from Pulp Fiction wannabes fire without reloading? Because I didn't know handguns had 2000 bullet capacity sized clips.

Seriously....

Author: Kieron Moore from England
5 May 2014

There are simply two reasons why I chose to view this film. 1) I heard that the original, and the sequel, profit off the same formula and obvious similarities of those well-loved crime movies, such as 'Pulp Fiction'. And 2) I wanted to see if Norman Reedus could actually act outside of his character in 'The Walking Dead'... which he can't.

I can't vouch for the original (which I haven't seen yet, but intend to) but this film is just messy. I was on board for literally a few minutes on account of the melodramatic and comical introduction to the brothers, but quickly lost interest.

The main downside is that this film tries to be funny throughout, but it clearly is not. In actual fact the 'funniest' character is that 'kinda' Mexican guy who chooses to help out the brothers. Other than that the characters, especially the detectives, are some of the most boring characters to ever hit the screen. Watch only if you are open- minded, that's the only way that you will have fun with this.

Embarrassing

Author: neil-upto11 from UK
9 January 2014

Not a shred of the original charm remains. It's an animated corpse of a film. Talking of which, what the devil happened to Sean Patrick's face?! Between his plastic surgery and moronic ranting he looks vaguely sub-human.

Basically, scenes from the original 'Boondock Saints' are remade into stilted, feeble replicas. It's witless, poorly written and desperate.

If you loved the original (and I did) please do yourself a favour, resist the temptation and avoid this mess. At least that way, the magic of the first film will remain untarnished in your memory!

(Imdb want more lines, so Im padding.)