The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Let those who enjoyed this live long and prosper...even though they're in denial.

Author: mendelmovie from United States
1 November 2009

I enjoyed the original film for it's sense of fun and it's wonderful off-the-cuff characters. If we learned anything from Lethal Weapon 4, it's that just copying what worked in a previous film is essentially making a mockery of your franchise. First of all, this script is fantastic...for a geek-fan in his first year of film school. For anyone else it's utterly horrendous in every way imaginable. I have never witnessed so many cliché's operating all at once. Sure, many of our favorite characters are back, but watching them all yell incoherently and blather profane language with no purpose or direction is just boring. This particular comment is mainly directed at the cops who's collective acting is a horror to behold. I don't know what happened with Willem Dafoe, but his absence is sorely missed. Julie Benz is nice to look at, (and wonderful on Dexter) but having her do a Kyra Sedgwick impression from "The Closer" was an embarrassing move on the part of Troy Duffy. The boys were adequate, I guess. Sean Patrick Flanery must have had some plastic surgery done to his face over the years cause he looks dreadful, but it is what it is. Another buzz kill was Clifton Collins Jr., a gifted actor who somehow thought that in order to replace Rocco, he needed to yell allot and make stupid faces. Most of the blame falls on Duffy's lap though. The guy must have just stood there while his actors were taking his already crappy dialogue and making it worse. This is where Willem Dafoe would have been of some use. What a waste. Having said all this, I will have to check this out again when it hits DVD. Here's why: This movie was so boring, so bland, so utterly unconvincing that it caused a patient film lover to get up out of his chair and walk the hell out with 30 minutes left to go. I will see the ending eventually, but no matter how good it might be, it cannot make up for the total disgrace that preceded it. Now, I don't begrudge Troy Duffy making a third film. The guy does have some talent hiding somewhere. I just hope he examines this lazy retread and dares to do better. He was HUNGRY when he made the first film. Troy, do us all a favor: GET FRIGGIN' HUNGRY AGAIN!

This movie should never have been made

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
16 December 2013

This movie was really really bad and pretty much lives up to the rule that all sequels basically suck (okay, that is a bit of a broad generalisation however when you mention a sequel to most people the immediate reaction is to roll one's eyes and groan). This movie simply seemed to try to capitalise on what made the first movie so great and basically failed on all levels. Even the cliff hanger at the end really, really, annoyed me because I simply do not want to wait to see how the saints get out of the predicament that they landed themselves up in.

Anyway, as I said, this film is one of those films that seems to try to rehash what worked really well in the first movie, and while, unlike The Hangover Part II, this film is not basically a complete retelling of the first film, it does try to do things, and introduce characters that are modelled on characters in the original film. Now, DaFoe's character in the original film was brilliant, so they brought in his protégé, who instead of listening to classical music, she simply puts ear plugs in. In the first film you had the mafia go-getter (Rocco I believed his name was) tagging along and providing them with information, however in this one you had this really, really, painfully annoying Mexican play that roll.

I have read another review that seems to pretty much say everything that I can and will say about this film. Basically, if you loved the first film, don't even bother with this one because it will simply destroy any respect that you had from the original masterpiece.

Forced...

Author: elizgomez from Okinawa
26 October 2013

The characters and jokes seem forced... The special agent seems to be written to be kooky, but is nothing like the spectacular character Defoe played, and comes across as annoying. Almost bad enough to be laughable - hard to watch.The plot does not seem to be cohesive. A very few characters in the movie come across as believable - many say their lines, but the words sound odd... I am working hard to write anything else about this movie to make ten lines since I really thought it was awful and there are only so many ways you can talk about how terrible the lines, characters and lack of plot are. I am rarely a fan of sequels and this movie proves exactly why I am hesitant to watch subsequent offerings on good movies.

An absolute atrocity.

Author: Colin D. from United States
1 January 2013

I am both confused and angered at the filmmakers for choosing to go this route with the supposed "sequel" to The Boondock Saints. This time round it appears that the director was going for an action-comedy, but way too heavy on the so-called "comedy." The action was somewhat there, but cheesy, and the comedy was even cheesier. The detectives were basically complete buffoons and relied entirely on Eunice Bloom (Julie Benz), the protégé of Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) of the first film. Do not get me started on Benz. Her terribly fake southern accent only complemented her god awful acting. The antagonists, some sort of Italian mafia, were just as infuriating. They were a bunch of goofy morons and really could not be taken seriously. In fact, the entire film was basically one giant joke, so they really fit in quite nicely I suppose. I'm honestly surprised I managed to watched the film all the way through. In short, All Saints Day is a complete insult to the first film and an utter waste of time. Do yourself a favor and watch something worthwhile.

Epic disappointment

Author: ashleynwaldron from United States
17 November 2012

After discovering the first Boondock Saints in high school, it instantly became my all-time favorite movie. I've lost track of how many times I've watched the movie over the years, or how many times my husband and I have laughingly quoted some of our favorite lines.

So when I first heard they were doing a sequel, I was thrilled. Especially when -after such a long amount of time in-between- they even had a lot of the original cast. Could this get any better?

And then, my husband watched it with his brother one night. Came home, and told me not to even bother. I was shocked. It couldn't be that bad right? He assured me that it would even taint the first one for me.

I couldn't believe that. There was no possible way. And yet... when I sat down and watched this god-awful train wreck of a movie, I couldn't even force myself past the first twenty-five minutes.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this. The terrible script, and crappy, awkward dialogue? The idiot who was supposed to be Rocco's replacement? Whoever that stupid, horrible acting bimbo was? The horrible, crappy villains?

This movie was probably the biggest sequel disappointment I've ever seen. And my husband was right... While I still love the first movie, I can't watch it without thinking of this fail movie.

Lightning Doesn't Strike Twice

Author: Bret Devies from Olympia, WA
23 June 2011

The first issue with this movie is that the director, Troy Duffy, is a one-hit wonder. In the realm of directing, this is a rare occurrence. However, with the cult success of the first movie, he had a lot of work to ensure the second one lives up to it. I've heard many say that this movie works better if left uncompared to the original. Viewed as a stand-alone film. And even though, it's only average at best. Regardless of that, this movie is a sequel, and sequels are specifically intended to be at least comparable to the original. Ocean's Twelve wasn't as good as Ocean's Eleven, but it wasn't horrible. Meanwhile, All Saint's Day breaks all the rules of what not to do. They use direct replacements for characters who died or disappeared from the first film. Not just once, but three times. All of the wit and elegance of the first film is abandoned for poorly executed fart, poop, and sex jokes. The last lines of a main character are, "Cock and balls!" Yelled as he enters the room, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. This is one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. The only reason it gets a three is because of the two main characters, who at times do decent jobs, and for the last few scenes of the movie, which are decent. However, Troy Duffy has proved that The Boondock Saints was a stroke of luck, and that he in fact does not have any talent whatsoever.

A disappointment, truly

Author: LSGPhoenix from United States
7 June 2011

After the original became a cult classic, to the displeasure of anyone still working in Hollywood after the 90's, we all hoped that Troy may make a triumphant return and do another piece. He did, but he didn't do it justice.

Too many plot lines. The detectives are now bumbling keystone cops??? The McManus brothers have been hiding for 10 years after vowing, publicly, to make evil-doers pay? How lazy have you become? This monstrosity should prove that apparently Mr. Duffy has only one trick up his sleeve.

Only the last 15 minutes, when the two veteran actors come out to play, is worth watching. Needless to say you can watch this scene alone and know what's going on, don't bother trying to piece it together from the rest of the movie. It's a stand-alone plot!

Obviously some poor schmuck decided he would try to make a dollar on the cult status of the original by giving Duffy a slightly higher budget to do a sequel. I believe it's safe to say this river has run dry.

So So Very Bad...

Author: Danielle from United States
27 July 2010

I was so looking forward to seeing this movie, but it was a huge disappointment. I completely ruins the first movie, to find out that everyone has simply been in hiding since then!

The dialog was super lame. In one of the earlier scenes they tried to implement the word "wicked" into their dialog, I suppose to make it seem more "Boston like" but it was so so forced and awkward sounding, and nobody ever used the word again! Even their favorite "F" word seemed overly forced sometimes.

They re-used jokes and scenes from the original movie that just showed a complete lack of creativity and very poor writing. Using the whole "Symbolism" reference again, having the new chick Benz have some of the same quirks as DaFoe did?? It's really just stupid- the way she analyzes the crime scenes, re-enacts them, etc, was all just like DaFoe, and what made that character so great was that he was so bizarre in his actions- this just made it seem "normal" or something. The use of the earplugs (or were they headphones?), her hand motions, her simulating guns and shooting, etc.

The scene of her dressed like a cowboy was just ridiculous. What were they thinking??

Having the brothers still fall into every situation as a complete disaster and still end up on top is getting old. By now they should know what they are doing- by the end of the first movie their actions were much more planned and skilled not just luck, and here they are just back to luck.

Them fighting inside the box on the forklift was wayy to similar to them fighting in the air ducts in the first movie. The rope references are getting old.

Why why why did they have a "Mexican" Roco character?? Why not just leave it to the brothers, why does there always have to be a third? It was super lame as well because when you first get introduced to this Mexican Romeo character you know where its going and find yourself thinking "oh, so he's going to join the brothers just like Roco, although I hope I'm wrong..." To have the same introduction as Roco as well- him begging them to include him, ugh it was all just super lame. The drinking scene in the "hideout" was much to similar to the drinking scene in Roco's girlfriends apartment, minus the dead cat- there was just NO originality, the simply re-used all the old ideas and themes with one new (awful) character.

The story line was bizarre- it was not creditable at all (they killed a Priest and made it look like the Saints did it to draw them out of hiding? I guess so they could eventually get their father out of hiding? And of course the Saints went for it- because someone killed their Priest, which doesn't make sense since Im' sure a lot of sh*t had gone down in the 10 years since they had been in hiding that did not draw them out...)

Music = AWFUL!! Too much, too loud, too over the top. Lastly, the bad guys seemed not so dangerous, really really bad shots (how do these guys keep NOT getting hit when they barge into scenes in plain view???). The bad guys here really didn't seem all that threatening. The short guy was a joke and a half. You never really felt as if the Saints were in danger.

The jokes were lame, the dialog was lame, the acting was down-right AWFUL, the "bad guys" seemed far less dangerous, the story line was not creditable, the new characters were awful, the old characters (especially the cops) failed as actors, overall just a huge huge disappointment.

The ONLY redeeming scene is the last one with the Saints in prison. (Not the scene where you realize DaFoe is still alive, I wanted to slap Benz's character in that scene... she acted like a moron).

Just Plain Awful.

Author: Matthew Young from United States
11 May 2010

Boondock Saints II picks up a little while after the first one ended. The McManus brothers have gone home to Ireland until they are forced to return to America and avenge the death of a mutual friend.

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day is terrible in every sense of the word. I honestly cannot believe that this did not go straight to video. The first movie was not Oscar worthy but compared to this, it's the greatest movie ever made.

There doesn't appear to be any actual humans in this movie. Every character from the first movie is magnified ten times into a ridiculous caricature, and all the new ones are absurd and annoying. Willem Dafoe, the only actual actor from the first one, is replaced by a new agent named Eunice who is absolutely ridiculous. Eunice is played by Julie Benz, who never was a great actress but manages to find a new low here with her awful southern accent and vulgar dialog. Rocco, the most annoying character in the first one, is replaced by another irritating comic relief character named Romeo, who is even more annoying and stupid than Rocco.

The script is very very bad as well. All the dialog is so vulgar and poorly written that this movie plays like a spoof of a guy's movie. The F word is shoved into almost every sentence as if it makes the movie cool just because there is a lot of cussing in it. The plot is very convoluted as well; characters enter and exit the movie with no explanation and every attempt to have a clever twist just adds to the mess. Some scenes are so off the wall that it's hard to be sure if this movie is supposed to be serious at all. I've got nothing against comedy; but is this just one big joke or is it a serious movie?

I am amazed that this was in theaters, and this is easily one of the worst sequels ever; even worse than Transformers 2. Avoid Boondock Saints II unless you just want to see how bad it really is or you're just such a huge of fan of the first one that you have to see what they did with it.

I was so disappointed...

Author: jessalynnfhlax from United States
24 October 2010

Overall, the movie wasn't terrible, but if you loved the original as much as I did, this was sub- par, and that's being generous.

The acting wasn't like I expected, and that's upsetting. Plus, they tried to make too many inferences to the first one... sure you want some connections between the two films, but they added just too much, it seems like they were trying too hard. This one had more comedic relief than the first, and it was obvious, not the subtle, dark humor the first one had, but even some "slapstick" moments that don't belong in the movie at all. The new Fed woman, Benz, did not, in any way, fill in Dafoe's role from the first... good effort and attempt to emulate his quirkiness, but I'm sorry, it was a fail, there is no substitute. And I didn't like her blatant involvement with the Saints... after everything the writers did to make this movie similar to the first, you would think they would try and duplicate how Smecker helped them, but hey, that's just me. Same goes for Rocco, his counterpart, Romeo (they even tried too hard with his name, having it also start with an "R")... he wasn't funny to me at all, or maybe it's just the fact that he isn't Rocco, and just a poor stand-in.

However, there were some funny moments, I am not going to deny that. Greenly (rest his poor soul) was the funniest to me. Perhaps, because he was able to build off his character from the first movie, I was able to appreciate him. Duffy and Dolly were pretty good, and I was glad to see them back... and of course goes the same for Poppa, Murphy, and Connor (and of course Doc!). And Rocco's appearances were a good addition as well... I was on the fence when I saw him at the beginning, but his sequence in the middle made me glad he was at least in the movie a little. And, finallyyyyy, I was the most excited about Dafoe's appearance at the end... I was genuinely surprised and ecstatic to see him... He seemed the most comfortable out of all the actors (him and Connolly), he just was natural, unlike everyone else who really just tried too hard.

I'm still up in the air about the ending. I don't know how I like having an undetermined ending. Yes, I guess now I'd like to see the third one (as long as I don't have to wait another 10 years), just for the sheer fact to see Dafoe in his role again for more than three minutes. On the other hand, me being an impatient person, would have liked to see it in this one.

In all, this was just nowhere near as good as the first. I don't really know how to explain it, but it just didn't FEEL like the first, and that's what made the first one so great. So, I would say, sure watch this movie, but don't go into it believing that it's going to be as great as the first. In fact, watch this one first, then watch the original... then you'll understand what I mean.