The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Page 18 of 19: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Finding your Inner Gangster

Author: XweAponX from United States
13 March 2010

Some great character actors join the original cast of Boondock Saints to make this the best movie I've seen lately.

What most people don't realise, as the original was a parody, this movie parodies the first Boondock Saints film.

We have the likes of Clifton Collins Jr joining the Saints... Perfect Choice: "Ding Dong, MotherF*&*er, Ding Dong!". Slightly more competent than Rocco, and almost as funny, Collins proves his character through the course of the film - One of his best roles.

The Dialogue escalates from start to finish, how does Duffy think up this stuff? Duffy takes common clichés and adds an Elephantine Twist to them.

People who just want to know more about Billy Conolly's character Il Duce will be told what happened- In "Godfather II-sh" flashbacks to the 50s. Teaming him up with Peter Fonda was just clever, and added to the immense talent in this film.

As usual, Duffy finds great Toronto talent to fill in the smaller roles, each of those a promising new talent... Especially the guy in the closet with Romeo... Bob Rubin's Georious George is as funny as Rocco at times.

The Three "Boston Detectives" Greenly, Duffy and Dolly are given a more central role and couple this with the appearance of Julie Benz as "Special" Agent Eunice Bloom, that rounds out The Saints.

The Crooks are led by Judd Nelson as Concezio Yakavetta who's mispronunciation of certain words had me rolling. Serendickitous! He gets to use his actual east coast accent in this film, I wish he'd been allowed to use it in other films he's made.

I was not disappointed with this film in the least... And Subsequent viewings just make it better. So to the internet-eberts who THINK they know something about movies who are talking crap about this film - Get stuffed!

Loved it!

Author: lr50 from United States
13 December 2009

Just saw it and loved it. I watched the original last night and it was a good thing to get the memories fresh. It's a little different but if you are a fan you've gotta like it. Has some corny but great lines. It's a fun movie for all Saints fans and should make some new fans. It was so good to see the boys and Da back on the big screen. Not sure it will be a box office hit but it will sell a ton of DVDs to we fans. There are definitely some surprises and a lot of laughs - the audience was laughing out loud on some of the lines and everyone walking out was sounding happy that they saw it. Hey my wife even said we need to go back and see it again.

One Of The Best Sequels I've Ever Seen...

Author: EVOL666 from St. John's Abortion Clinic
15 February 2010

First off-I like the original BOONDOCK SAINTS quite a bit. I'm not nearly as rabidly fanatical about it as some-but it is a solid film by most any standards. Secondly-even though I dug the first-I had ZERO expectations for this one. How many good films have been ruined by inferior sequels?...almost all of them minus a few notable exceptions in my book. So hopefully my review will be seen as someone looking at this film from as unbiased an opinion as possible. I'm going to give the briefest of synopses as ALL SAINTS DAY is better off if you don't know much about the plot.

This sequel had the MacManus brothers hiding out in Ireland after the events of the first film. The murder of a priest back in their 'hood' that is made to look like their handiwork brings the brothers back out of retirement...

All I can say is that ALL SAINTS DAY delivers on all fronts. The action is as hot and heavy as the first-if not moreso, the dialogue is just as sharp and witty as the first-if not moreso, and the casting of the few new players in this entry (as pretty much everyone who didn't die in the first is back again in this one...) is as good as the first-if not moreso. Personally, I feel that the chick from Dexter taking over Dafoe's role in this one was masterful-I think she filled his 6" pink pumps more than admirably. If she would've shown her tits-this one would've gotten a 10 from me. One of the few sequels that I personally think is better than, and enhances the original. 9/10

Great Mono's

Author: vintonjr from United States
11 December 2009

The greatest thing about this movie is the Monologues. after hearing the, i felt like i had to kill a deer, eat the meat medium rare, drink some dark beer and watch some UFC fight knockouts. yeah sure, the plot wasn't the thickest and the acting wasn't superb, but neither was the first one. i watched it to see divine ass kicking and riotous death not some "notebook" style movie where they talk about their feelings. the brothers put on a great show. the resurrection of Rocco was good. a catholic Mexican worked great. the southern belle could have been better and it was nice to see the detectives actually talk besides greenly.

Lots of death, great speeches, funny scenes and a nice twist at the end that still would like to see more of these.

Are you a talker or a doer?

Author: vamp777 from United States
4 December 2009

The boys are back! Go see this now! This is a great continuation that also has some flashbacks to the past. We now know how Il Duce came to be. I just saw this last night and if the first Saints rates an A+ I would rate this one a B.

I'm not a big fan of Dennis Hopper and he certainly does not act like a weirdo in this film - I hardly recognized him at all. Troy Duffy has done it again. This film, as did the first, stirs my soul into action. In my opinion, the first movie focused on the "Sin of Indifference of Good Men" In this film, I felt the moral being taught is "Are You a Talker or a Doer?"

Definitely does not ruin the first movie as most sequels do, but this does enhance the back-story of the original.

You will not be disappointed to spend money on theater tickets and then turn around and buy the DVD.

The Saints Are Back and in Top Form.

Author: 1stbrigade from United States
26 November 2009

I only saw the original "Boondock Saints" the same weekend the sequel came out. It was a terrific low-budget action film, filled with unforgettable characters and perfectly-staged action sequences, and a few surprises thrown in for good measure. It left one to wonder if any sequel to measure up to the original. And it's safe to say that "The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day" comes very close. The cast and crew do a terrific job of creating a fun, exciting and character-driven action film, with the same wit and style that made the original a classic, while introducing new faces that build on the original. Fans of the original film will find very, very little disappointment with the sequel. Recommended! Grade: A-

A worthy sequel! Another wild ride from St. Troy of Duffy!

Author: deacon_blues-3 from United States
30 November 2009

It's really a shame this film has such a limited release. I just got to see it here in NE Ohio at a Sunday night 10:20 PM Showing; and the place was packed! The prime time showing just before mine was sold out early! none of the other films at this multiplex were sold out early! Is this all about the film being so UN-PC or what? I think the Elite intelligentsia of the media biz don;t like the message the film sends. Well, tough S&!t!! Who died and made them the thought police, anyway? They are posing themselves as exactly the kind of dirty dealers that the MacManus brothers would take out!

Anyhow, I thought it was a worthy successor to BDS-1, but nothing could really recapture for me the thrill of the original film. Something about the sheer originality of the film just cannot be topped by any sequel. But I'm really gratified that they made it, anyway. Again, it was a wild ride, and lots of fun, but pretty much just more of the same elements rehashed--not that there's much wrong with that! I sure hope you all get to see this film in your area soon! God be with ya'll, and may the Saints be praised!

Pretty Good

Author: John Appleton (dog@sogetthis.com) from South Africa
26 October 2009

To tell you the truth, I was no big fan of the first Boondock Saints. I thought the violence was gratuitous, the plot stupid, and the dialogue boring. After watching this one, I can confidently say that Troy Duffy has matured and made a film with much more quality. Sure, the over-the-top violence is still here, and so is the naughty language, and even the crude jokes, but now, the plot and the dialogue seem so much more mature.

That said, there are somethings that could be improved in this film. I think this movie would have worked better as a 90 minute action flick, but it was actually pushing the two hour line, and I believe that is a bit too long.

However this is nitpicking. The Boondock Saints II is a funny, cool, action packed, and maybe even though provoking look into the actions of two vigilantes.

The saints are comin

Author: C-Younkin from United States
27 October 2009

Don't let the lack of promotion for "Boondock Saints 2" fool you. The fans are clamoring for it. The plot picks up in Ireland where brothers Connor (Sean Patrick Flannery) and Murphy (Norman Reedus) McManus are hiding out after the events of the last movie. A priest shot in Boston, in the same style the brothers are known for, makes them the prime suspects. Writer/ director Troy Duffy is going for the old-school Charles Bronson-style vigilante movie, and achieves something pretty close to that. He even goes with that cool voice-over quote you hear in trailers all the time, "they wanted to call them out, there's just one problem, it worked." Then cue the hard-rock. The movies villain is Concezio Yakavetta (Judd Nelson), son of the mob boss the brothers killed in the first film and he wants revenge. An FBI Agent (Julie Benz) is brought in to investigate the murders, taking over for Willem Dafoe as the one cop who can imagine in great detail (which of course is done in flashback) exactly how each murder went down. There is also some back-story about Papa McManus (Billy Connelly) that eventually ties into the plot. Duffy is eager to please, going with guns-blazing, lots of tough-talk, heart-beat style splicing, a lot of slow-mo (a naked shower scene, gun fights, a sexy chick's legs just to name a few), cool sunglasses, religious overtones and childish jokes (gay gags, naked ass), but his writing doesn't really crack between lulls of action and he has less stylistic discipline than Michael Bay.

The whole thing is like bland Tarantino (guys playing with guns, killing bad-guys, sums it up). Basically the fans get a chance to oooh and ahhh over familiar characters (while creating some new ones), although most of the supporting players are gratingly stupid for the interest of cheap laughs. It's mindless fun though and for the most part, Duffy captures that. The cast is all game, with Julie Benz being the sultry, fun to watch highlight and Nelson chewing scenery. Clifton Collin's wild-eyed Mexican sidekick character would be an example of grating though. If you loved the first one, you'll love this. If you were indifferent to it, then you'll be like me. And if you hated it, look elsewhere. Either way, it looks like a third movie is coming.

"Let's do some gratuitous violence."

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
14 March 2010

Sophomore scenarist & director Troy Duffy has revived Connor and Murphy MacManus for his ultra-violent but often riotous sequel "The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day." If you missed the original , these two Irish-American brothers who worked in a meat packing factory decided to arm themselves with a pair of silenced automatic pistols and imitate Charles Bronson's "Death Wish" antics. In their case, the MacManus twins believed God had summoned them to serve as his avengers. Moreover, a rogue FBI agent pulled strings on their behalf so Connor and Murphy with their sidekick Rocco could terminate 22 of Boston's finest criminals. According to Duffy, this 118-minute sequel materialized only because the cult status of the original convinced Hollywood that a second opus was inevitable. Happily, most of the original cast have returned and Duffy's pro-vigilante message remains intact. Everything that made the first film engaging recurs in "The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day," within the constraints of minimal realism. The controversial history of the original movie has something to do with the ten years that it took for Duffy to helm the sequel. Between the release of the original and sequel, a 2003 documentary about "The Boondock Saints" entitled "Overnight" showed what Duffy did to alienate Hollywood. Otherwise, "The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day" qualifies as both an ambitious and entertaining sequel that springs several surprises. Two of the cherished original characters bite the dust. This time around nobody accidentally shoots a cat. If you liked the original, you may enjoy the sequel.

Duffy has the "Boondock" formula down to the bullet holes, but he has made a number of changes. Many involve the replacements for the original characters who don't return. First, FBI Agent Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) doesn't reprise his role. Second, super sexy, southern-drawling, FBI Special Agent Eunice Bloom (Julie Benz of "Rambo") replaces Smecker and struts around stiletto high heels. Make no mistake, Bloom ranks as Smecker's rival when she analyzes a crime scene. Third, although Rocco makes a cameo appearance, Dully replaces Rocco with a goon every bit as hilarious as Rocco. Indeed, Romeo (Clifton Collins, Jr., of "Crank 2") replicates Rocco in most respects, but he exhibits more discipline. Our heroes encounter this outlandish Mexican aboard the freighter that they take to cross the Atlantic. Fourth, Mafioso chieftain Concezio Yakavetta (Judd Nelson of "The Breakfast Club") serves as the chief adversary this time, and Yakavetta commands an army of trigger-happy hoodlums. Audiences that saw the first "Saints" saga know that our heroes executed Concezio's father in a courtroom.

Meantime, Duffy preserves other plot lines. The three Boston detectives play a more integral part in this sequel's shenanigans. They fear that their role in aiding and abetting the MacManus twins in the last courtroom scene will come back to haunt them. Peripheral characters, such as the arms dealer and Doc, the barman with Tourette's syndrome who runs McGinty's bar, reappear along with the Boston Chief of Police. Not only does Duffy recycle the best parts of the original, but he has also gone in and fleshed out the most enigmatic character for the original, II Duce (Billy Connolly), and furnished him with a back story.

Our Irish Catholic vigilante heroes have been living in a self-imposed exile in Ireland herding sheep and rolling their own cigarettes with their long-haired, bearded father (Billy Connolly) with whom they were reunited during the final quarter hour of "The Boondock Saints." A beloved Catholic priest, Father Douglas McKinney (Dwayne McLean of "Charlie Bartlett"), has been brutally murdered in his own church, and the killer has framed the MacManus twins. Specifically, he imitated their ritual of shooting their victim in the back of the head and placing pennies on the eyes. Connor (Sean Patrick Flanery of "Powder") and Murphy (Norman Reedus of "Hero Wanted") cut off their shoulder-length locks and excavate their hardware. They return to their old stomping grounds and vow to kill anybody who had anything to do with the priest's demise.

Initially, Bostonians are divided over the priest's homicide. Half of Boston believes the MacManus twins iced the poor cleric, while the other half refuse to believe that their heroes would stoop to such sacrilege. Duffy uses the scenes involving the media to recap the Saints' exploits from the first movie and their sudden disappearance after the courtroom shoot-out eight years ago. Meanwhile, Eunice wants to feed the hysteria and keep the MacManus twins on the front page until they can find who is at the bottom of the murder. Naturally, Eunice knows Connor and Murphy had nothing to do with the priest's slaying. At the same time, the mob is incensed about the killing of the priest because it means that somebody wants the Saints back in town. The resolution of this mystery makes the final half-hour absorbing stuff.

"The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day" bears all the earmarks of the original: audacious gunfights, profanity galore, oddball characters, fractured time lines, and witty but politically incorrect dialogue. Duffy enjoys reversing the chronological order of events. An excellent example of his fractured time line occurs in the Chinese heroin massacre—about 35 minutes into the action-- when the cops first investigate the slaughter at a heroin factory and then everything shifts into flashback mode before the massacre. The difference here is Duffy gives us a look at it from the perspective of an exploitation picture. In other words, he stages the shoot-out as if it were part of a 1970s era movie. Our cigarette smoking heroes are riding in a crate atop a fork-lift driven by Romeo. They perform incredible acrobatic feats as they plummet from the crate and then wield two guns a piece like Buffalo Bill to annihilate their adversaries. The film looks old and lacerated. The actual scene with our heroes experiencing a more realistic encounter with the villains ensues after their parody scene. Not surprisingly, the ending leaves everything open for another sequel.

Page 18 of 19: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]