The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Page 17 of 19: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Ding Dong!

Author: Austin Layne from United States
13 March 2010

The Boondock Saints II is an outstanding action movie, if that's the way you take it, as an action movie. Critics have such a hard time saying good things about most modern day action movies, and that's because they try to watch an action movie in the same state of mind as a tear-jerker.

Forget what people say about this movie and it's predecessor, and don't think that just because I mention that it should be watched as a pure action movie that it isn't well-made. Writer-Director Troy Duffy doesn't worry about making the critics happy, he worries about entertaining the fans and giving lovers of the first movie all that they would want in the sequel, and he does this very well, in my opinion, as I am an avid fan of the first movie.

Clifton-Collins Jr. is added to the crew and gives a very funny performance as the brother's new sidekick, Romeo. Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus are just as good in their return to the role of the titular "Saints" as they were in the first movie and Julie Benz does a great job "replacing" Willem Dafoe in the role of Euncie Bloom.

Be warned, just as with the first movie, style is put face first over substance. If you enjoyed this about the first movie then you'll definitely enjoy it in the second. If you hated the first movie for this, you'll despise it in the second.

All Around Good, Slow Starting Remake

Author: JakeBenge from United States
13 March 2010

Do not be fooled by the excessive hate for this film. This first was a gem greater than this one, but only by so much.

As has been said, fans of the first film will enjoy this one. Albeit it starts out really slow and cheesy. I almost didn't watch it because of the ten minute mark, but being the dedicated fan-boy I am, I pushed on. And because of that I was lost in Duffy's kick ass sequel.

Your judgment of the movie should be decided on not by my review, but on the feeling you get when the credits roll. One or two small parts that attempt to emulate the first one and fail are not enough to destroy this movie's reputation.

It gets better halfway through...

Author: djsneakypeaky from United Kingdom
9 March 2010

They do say that the majority of sequels never live up to the original. Sadly this is the case for this film.

I really enjoyed the original and couldn't find many flaws within it, All Saints Day is not so lucky...

I don't know where to start, the film opens well enough till you are introduced to the Boston detectives again. They appear to have been made in to "The Three Stooges" as babbling idiots who argue amongst themselves in almost a slap-stick manner.

Then we are introduced into the FBI character played by Julie Benz(Outstanding as Rita from Dexter) who puts on an horrendous southern accent that does not suit the part or sound believable. This is not the only time a character with a bad accent appears in the film Cliffton Collins Jr plays Romeo who's accent changes between Mexican & Irish throughout.

No offence to Julie but would Defoe not do the sequel? Also they try and copy the way Defoe's character would analyse a crime scene. But instead of listening to classical music to focus she puts earplugs in and you hear a heartbeat. Not the same impact that Defoe's character had! This sequel is over the top cheesy from the bad clichés to the terrible jokes. One minute you have a close up of Julie's high heels as she's walking along with a backing track of some old cheesy rock song. Next you have a fight scene which is trying to be like an old 70's Police TV Show complete with 70's music and the good guys wearing shades! It seems to me that Troy has just tried to insert so many different styles into this film along with some terrible writing and accents that didn't suit the characters.

Despite all these failings mentioned above there is some redemption in the fact that The Saints themselves are on a par with their acting in the original. Billy Connolly plays his character well. The story line wasn't bad either.

If you have seen the original chances are that you're going to make the effort to watch this sequel. Be warned do not go expecting it to be the same calibre of movie.

If you haven't seen the original, why not? Go watch it right now! Only watch this if you like cheesy cliché filled movies.

I gave it 5/10 because it's just an average film nothing special.

excellent sequel

Author: ticklegear from United States
20 February 2010

I liked the plot and I rarely say that. It was simple enough to follow but entertaining enough to enjoy.

Like the first film, the dialog is hilarious. No run-off-the-mill lame jokes here. A lot of inside jokes of which you'll be an insider to as the film unravels. The chemistry amongst the cast is good. The accent was thick on the FBI "special" agent, but her performance was otherwise quite good.

The action is absurd as always - completely unbelievable. That's my only complaint. The action scenes are done in slow mo and divine intervention is abused so much that even James Bond would blush.

Some of the jokes may offend Hispanics, but I think they're unintentional. I hope there's a Boondock Saints 3.

More Fun with Guns and God!

Author: tacmovies ( from Ohio
18 December 2009

Story: The story is very similar to the first movie. In fact, I'm going to say that this is the Evil Dead 2 of the series in that it borders on being a remake of the first movie with a higher budget, better special effects, larger cast, etc. This isn't a bad thing, we're not in Ghostbusters 2 territory. In many ways, they fixed some problems I had with the first movie, specifically the fact that (SEMI-SPOILER ALERT) the cops in the first movie weren't really penalized for assisting the Saints. Whether I agree with the morality of what they were doing or not, there needed to be a price for breaking the law and this time there was a price. The script doesn't really address the morality of what the Saints are doing. It's very much saying, "These are the good guys, like them or leave them." It's even more cut and dry than the first movie. In fact, the only character who questions the morality of the Saints is the Roman who, for the record, is the big bad in this movie. C

Acting: Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus are Connor and Murphy. The instant they appeared on camera, they were in character. I applaud. Billy Connolly is one the most versatile actors of our day and plays Il Duce completely different than Fido or Father Joseph Crissman or any of the other characters he's played in his extensive career, and he brings the goods this time too, adding an extra layer to the dark, quiet man of mystery that he played in the first movie. Clifton Collins Jr. has some of the funniest moments in this movie and they all work. Now... about Julie Benz... she's hot, which she was supposed to be, and she has great lines, but I didn't like her accent in this movie. I wish she would have done the lines normally, I think it would have been a stronger performance. I was glad to see David Della Rocco appear in a way that maintained the fact that (SPOILER... IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIRST ONE YET, IN WHICH CASE I MUST ASK WHY YOU'RE READING THIS?) he's dead, and again his lines are some of the most quotable in the movie. B

Visuals: The visuals are a lot of fun in this movie. Some of the best parts are when we get to see how the Saints imagine one of their raids going down (in a smooth, Matrix style take down where their hairs never gets messed up) versus reality (it hits the fan). Gun aficionados will love the weaponry that gets brought to the table. Did I already mention that Julie Benz was hot? B

Direction: The mood remains fairly light hearted up until the end of the movie, like the first one. I have to say that if Troy Duffy really was the jerk that Overnight made him out to be, I really don't think that as many cast members from the first movie would have returned as they did, because this was never destined to be a huge payday. The only reason they could have possibly come back was because they had fun making the first one and wanted to meet up with those guys again. Now, Troy Duffy won't be completely vindicated in my eyes until he makes a different movie that's not a remake of the first Boondock Saints, which oddly may be the third in this series as the ending of this one teased "sequel" very hard. Hey, Army of Darkness was way different from Evil Deads 1 and 2, but Sam Raimi also made other movies in between those ones, so we'll see what happens. B

Overall: This movie isn't going to win any major awards. The critics have certainly hate it, the kindest review I've seen being A.O. Scott inventing a new category of "see it drunk." The story is the weakest link in this chain, but fans of the first movie will love this movie. I think you should watch it, but make sure to watch the first one before you see this one. And watch out for the return of the cat. B

Daddy's Working

Author: David Ferguson ( from Dallas, Texas
19 November 2009

Greetings again from the darkness. I really do get it. 10 years of ideas, dreams and pent up frustrations. Writer/director Troy Duff has wanted (and deserved) a sequel to his original Boondock Saints, and after all the rumors and near misses, it's finally here ... with guns and f-bombs blazing.

Sean Patrick Flannery (Conner), Norman Reedus (Murphy) and Billy Connolly (Poppa) are back as the vengeance-seeking McManus clan. The film begins with the boys living a quiet life of solitude on a sheep farm in Ireland. Things change quickly when a priest is murdered in Boston and the killer makes it look like our boys are responsible.

Presented as now dead, Willem Dafoe's Agent Paul Smecker (the best part of the first film), has hand-chosen his successor. Unfortunately, it is Julie Benz (the worst part of the stunningly original cable series "Dexter"). We are supposed to believe that Eunice Bloom (Benz) has the same crime scene 6th sense of Smecker, while sporting the absolute worst southern accent in movie history. She teams with the 3 remaining Boston detectives from the original to "assist" the boys on their mission. Oh and on the boat ride over, the McMurphy brothers pick up some comedy relief as a sidekick in the terrific Clifton Collins (Romeo).

There are many humorous moments, tons of gratuitous violence (noted by Murphy in an elevator), some horrific editing, a nod to Tarantino and Rodriguez, and a full explanation of Poppa's history. That history is tied to an interesting character played by Peter Fonda, which makes for an entertaining sequence shot in a rundown greenhouse.

Mr. Duffy has no shortage of ideas and, for the most part, provides an entertaining film ... almost in tribute to the original. Not sure how many new fans he will make, but he has certainly satisfied the original cult following. Oh, and make no mistake, the last few minutes of the film play like the opening of the next round.

Go see this movie now!

Author: kali neil from United States
30 October 2009

Just got back from seeing Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day and I just wanted to say that it was awesome. It was a perfect way to come back after all these years. Almost every scene had me in tear from laughing so much. The characters are wonderful and the added characters of Special Agent Eunice Bloom (Julie Benz) and Romeo (Clifton Collins Jr.)really just enhance the movie. This movie was the perfect addition to the first because it really ties how all the characters fit and gives some much needed back story. I really think this movie needs to be shown in all the theaters across the country so all the fans can see it and make the hit it should have been the first time around.

If you didn't like the first, it's worth giving this one a chance.

Author: youcanthelpit from boston, ma
20 October 2009

I just came from the world premiere of this film in Boston, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I wasn't a particularly big fan of the first movie (thought it was only OK), but the writer/director clearly spent the 10 years in between the first movie and this sequel writing and rewriting dialogue. There are some truly funny scenes with some very original and witty lines, and there are some unexpected surprises as well (at least, I was told by my friend who I saw the movie with that they were excellent and unexpected twists...). The action is good too. Big shout out to Guy Ritchie, Quentin Tarantino and others. Give this movie a shot.

loved by a fan of the first

Author: chris from Canada
9 March 2010

Not one to get on here and speak my mind,I felt compelled to get on here and mention my experience with this very enjoyable film. Like many I have been waiting and hoping the original would be blessed with a sequel. Well that time has come and it did not disappoint. This movie was a movie for the fans. True, sometimes the humour was overdone and missed its mark but often it felt right at home, in an-otherwise fun, cool and edgy movie that we get too few of these days. The movie certainly gets its legs about 50 minutes in and the humour feels less forced and the great characters just shine. You know what? I even liked Julie Benz and her sexy southern accent. To those who complain about this and that... dual wielding desert eagles!!You just missed the point.

Not quite it's original glory, but great nonetheless.

Author: jsterry from United States
7 February 2010

When I first heard they were making the sequel, I waited countless months with eager anticipation. For those who followed the release as I did, we all know it was a very limited release initially, which was met with much protest and anger from the dedicated fans. Finally in November I was ecstatic to see a couple of theaters close to me in TN had released it. I got tickets online immediately.

I was not disappointed. The film did seem to have some strange pacing and editing. This almost threw me off but I enjoyed the film immensely. I was so happy that they retained the original cast and didn't replace anyone. To me at least, these two films embody deep feelings of the need to fight back against horrible injustices and evils that have plagued our society forever. We all know the terrible acts that are committed every second however we often feel helpless to correct it. I probably won't be killing anyone through vigilante violence since I'm an officer of the law myself, but I regardless can relate to the frustration of seeing evil men go free, viruses on society.

All the great gun battle action is retained along with wonderful humor. There are some truly hilarious moments that definitely capture the hearts of those who enjoyed the original film. The brothers definitely have the ability to be instantly liked, Flannery & Reedus pull this off marvelously. Billy Connoly retains all his wonderful years of experience and does not show any signs of slowing down in his performance, all the way down to his memorable and inspiring dialog.

I do wish the story was a bit more fleshed out, part of it felt a little too vague and perhaps even could've gone a slightly different direction. However despite all this I still had a great time and can't to add this great movie to my collection.

Page 17 of 19: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]