IMDb > "How to Make It in America" (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"How to Make It in America"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"How to Make It in America" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

It's NOT Entourage - But it IS a great show!

Author: EddyOne from Frankfurt, Germany
9 March 2010

Yes, Mark Wahlberg is executive producer on this show and yes, the show runs on HBO. Yes it's about 30-something guys that happen to like to party and try to make a living. Still this show is not like Entourage. It's as different as NYC and L.A. are. Entourage is about glamour, money and Hollywood. HMIA is about the big city life, it's about the Big Apple, about young people trying to achieve something. It's more "down to earth" than Entourage and not as spectacular at first. The pacing is much slower and you have less sex, models and rock'n roll. But you DO have a great cast, authentic people in the most realistic capture of young adults living in Manhattan. It's a love letter to the city and the people who live there. It's a great show with likable characters, great dialogue, great cinematography and good and witty humor. This is like Sex and the City for guys. But less superficial. I really dig this show. Let's hope HBO does too!

Sign me up.

Author: stookid from United States
25 February 2010

Two words: Great pilot. Of course, I have to take pilots for what they are (selling points) as should we all... but 'How to Make It' shows a promising amount of potential. I just hope that they don't break that promise... The show focuses on a couple of New Yorkers starting from the bottom (or somewhere near it) trying to "Make it in America". They happen to be surrounded by a cast of entertaining characters which gives it quite the 'Entourage" feel... Add that with a constant onslaught of witty dialogue set in the most modern of all 'modern day New Yorks'... and "Sheeeeiiitt"... Quoting Clay Davis only feels appropriate. You can count me in for the whole season as long as they don't go all 'Hung' on me and put me to sleep like a double shot of codeine in a styrofoam cup. Shout out to Kid Cudi taking a back seat in a supporting roll on a pay-cable show, something that most artists with a future like his wouldn't even consider as a career move. Dude is talented, and Luis Guzman is subtly working his way into being the funniest dude on TV. I swear to God I can't drink anything while he's on the screen because I'll spit it out before he's done talking. The first two episodes get an 'A' from me, and I literally watch everything HBO puts on the screen. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with anybody who's 'Hung' or anybody that's named John from anywhere in Ohio, let alone Cincinnati... God Bless and hope this show is 5 seasons solid.

Excellent show. Hope is renewed for a second season.

Author: itbmac from United States
22 March 2010

Love the show. The acting may not seem the best to some people, but after you watch a few episodes. The actors really grow on you. I felt the same way when I started watching Entourage. Love the story and background. Great Music. Love the fact that Cudi is in it. I have visited NYC multiple times and it really cool seeing the show happening in places I have actually been. Hope that they sell merchandise, would fit the show. People from Entourage did a great job with the show, seems to be the next Entourage. Love the free mix tape download and Pilot, very generous of HBO. Disappointed about the first season only being 8 episodes long, but a renewal for a second season would most certain make up for it.

Kinda inspiring

Author: Jadalla Khazaal from Qatar
21 March 2010

This is no Antoine Fisher or something that will heavily influence you. It ain't garbage either. In fact, from the first 10 minutes of the pilot it slowly started to grow on to me. The whole idea of having characters that might reflect you or someone you know in real life is what makes this show so great. You have the successful friend with a lot of money who has no friends, and tries to buy friendship. You have the friend who insists all the time and has no real etiquette but is damn street smart and knows how to make a living despite lack of degree. I guess what I love about this show is it really gives you a push of motivation and inspiration to do something with your life. Don't expect the world from 'HTMIINA', but please give it justice by enjoying what the actual point of this show is about. I see it starting a lot stronger than how entourage started its first season. Bottom line is this show is great and Greenbergs half stressed half homie character is perfect!

Just a great, great show

Author: Calmcaci from Norway
17 April 2010

I've just seen all eight episodes in 4-5 hours and I just want more!! The characters, especially the main character Ben, are great, but maybe the writers should limit them a bit more as it sometimes gets to much with all the characters. Apart from that I think this show is awesome, and just very realistic and more authentic then other similar shows like Entourage. I was very surprised when I read that HBO were sitting on the fence regarding making another season. How To Make It In America are one of the best new shows I have seen in the last couple of years. I feel this could be something really big...

I just hope HBO renews it for a second season, because this show has HUGE potential.

Too Bad It Was Cancelled

Author: politically_incorrect204 from United States
26 December 2011

This will join the likes of Freaks and Geeks and Arrested Development as shows that should have never been cancelled. I actually went back and watched this show after I heard it was cancelled and had been nominated for some awards.

I agree with others. This show is brilliant! I love the realism of the show and its characters. There are good and bad moments and the interactions are very genuine. Most people, young or old, can relate to the struggle for success. Trying to seek your own path but still pay the bills. This show also makes me miss NYC and Brooklyn desperately. This show lives and breaths NYC. I think that is one of the great things about this show is not only the genuine stories and characters but it really feels like you're in NYC. All and all I love this show. I love the humor, the drama, the people, all of it.

My only criticism is that sometimes there are some overly dramatic plot turns. And sometimes the characters make decisions that are inexplicable or dumber than how their character is presented. I know people make mistakes but this show makes the occasional mistake (most shows make it a lot) of making something happen just for the sake of creating a plot point or drama or what not. I didn't feel like this often but occasionally something was just too unbelievable or stupid. Otherwise the shows ie excellent. Worth going back and checking for those who haven't.

Intelligent feel-so-good

Author: louise-ericsater from Sweden
21 June 2010

I want to watch this again and again, it is feel good at its best. It is surprising because of what does NOT happen. It does not follow the standard formula that most shows stick to, first you sit and wait for the disaster that is showing on the horizon, then you realize this show is different and you sit back and relax.

This is reality at its best! No constructed drama, they just float around and send out good vibes! The only problem is that the episodes are too short and that there just aren't enough of them!

I love the slick scenes, the music, the interesting terms and how real the acting feels. They haven't crowded it with familiar faces, so it feels fresh, crisp even!

Fantastic

Author: denellington from United Kingdom
8 July 2010

This series is fantastic and certainly realistic. I have lived the game, and this is the closest to summing up the highs and lows, glamours and not so glamorous situations. The show is sexy and the characters keep you lusting for more - the young energy, the vibrancy of youth and relationships that don't speak, but struggle on any how. What a show, well done Mark Wahlberg for pushing this one through and improving the quality of TV viewing. Will it be coming to the UK? I have been bragging about how good it is to my friends in the UK. The characters are contrasting and there is a lot of humour throughout, I was addicted straight away. What a show.

Very promising!

Author: Kiddo (cristian_mihon@yahoo.com) from Timisoara, Romania
7 September 2010

I saw a few adverts about the series and decided 'what the heck!'. After watching the 8 episodes from the 1st season I really have to say I'm impressed. I'd say that the storyline is rather excellent for a comedy-drama series.

Having most of the "Entourage" crew behind it, it might just be a success, and if they try hard enough, I can see a future for this show, no doubt about that! The story is great! Combining street thugs, ex-cons, high-life, 'not-so-high-life', hood-mentality, etc. showing the struggle to get to the top in a country where there's enough possibilities for everyone, but also bringing some comedy into it.

Unfortunately 8 episodes are too few to get a good idea about what's about to happen, but the characters and the action portray real-life close enough just to make it believable. That's a good enough reason to want to watch the first season of the show, but it made me want to see the 2nd season as well.

You're never sure what's going to happen next. I'd say it was worth my time watching it.

Season II FO SHO!

Author: SonyaMichelle from United States
19 April 2010

The first few episodes started off kind of slow but still kept me interested as I could relate to the grind of trying to make it in NYC. I just watched episodes 4-8 last night back to back and I must say, the characters grew on me & I want more episodes, bring on Season 2! The research that goes into the details of this show is so great and depicts NYC life so perfectly! I love seeing all the popular restaurants and nightclubs that my friends and I frequent. The show accurately captures the essence & importance of having connections in NYC in order to make it. I can see this show as truly inspiring for many up and coming artists in NYC who look up to these two characters: Ben & Cam that are headed for success through networking despite their daily struggles. I can't wait to hear news of when Season 2 will premiere!! Best of luck to this amazing new show that doesn't portray the glitz & glamour of LA life (Entourage) but rather captures the true essence of every young person with a dream trying to make it in the Big Apple with its trendy & grimy places alike.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]