IMDb > Passengers (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Passengers More at IMDbPro »

Loved it

Author: lilmisskat79 from Australia
22 October 2009

I love films that really make you think about life and how people interact - how they relate and what they DON'T say to each other. I find this fascinating and was a topic excellently addressed in Passengers.

I thought the film was brilliantly written and very compelling. My first impressions were that it was a 'conversational piece' but soon found myself completely glued to the screen and totally immersed in this couple's life. It really took me by surprise.

Acting was some of the best I've seen from Daddo. Was very moving - definitely recommend others to go see this film.

Amazing Film!

Author: Sarah-6000 from Australia

I loved this film.

Beautifully scripted with hard hitting performances, Passengers is at times frightening in it's accurate portrayal of relationship weaknesses and human flaws.

I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't relate to one of the lead characters on some level - their pain, frustration, distraction, isolation, alienation, a range of everyday emotions we all experience.

Further still, is the director's ability to so beautifully capture all of this in a more subtle, authentic manner than we're used to in recent dramas, which I found heightened the emotional impact even more.

Can't wait to see it again, and looking forward to more offerings from first time director Michael Bond.

Incredible film!

Author: darcy-30 from United States
23 October 2009

I was simply blown away by this film. It is an artistic feat that I have yet to see rivaled in this way. To have such a limited area in which to film this story could have been disastrous, instead it was compelling, heart-wrenching, uncomfortable, and devastating in all the right ways.

I was riveted from start to finish and I have the writer/ director, cinematographer, and actors to thank for that. So, thank you for creating such a beautiful movie. Make more!

I am surprised at how much I am longing to see this film again. Well done!

Well worth viewing

Author: dangeric from Seattle, Washington
22 October 2009

Who knew you could make such a compelling movie in a SUV? Great script, acting and directing made this a low budget pleasure. It's also encouraging to see a movie aimed at adults that isn't an 'adult' movie. Passengers is the type of movie the studios have given up making in favor of chasing 14 year old boys as an audience. This audience of boys is the same that is staying home and stealing studio content off the internet. This is collaborative film-making at its finest. Well done. Thanks for the mature feast. Let's see more of it. This bodes well for the future of independent film-making.

rick Stevenson

A story of relationships and how they can unravel without warning.

Author: peter_kenny-562-85992 from Australia
23 October 2009

What a great film. This is such a simple story but it leaves the viewer feeling that many vital questions have not been answered and a second viewing is necessary. It is a story about relationships and how precariously they can be balanced. You get drawn into the setting and feel as though you are intruding into a couple's privacy. This is very realistic and the acting is excellent. The script is very well written and cleverly uses the art of dialogue to tell the story rather than rely on major visual effects which are so often used in contemporary film making. This is a film which considers an adult audience's need for real stories. Congratulations to all involved.

We Need More Films Like Passengers

Author: mantonallen from United States
25 October 2009

Michael Bond has created a beautiful film about the complexity of love in all its beauty, deceit and ugliness. Who hasn't experienced such a ride as the couple in Passengers? The beauty of this film is how it takes its time. None of the rapid fire gamer mtv editing in this film. No Juno like soundbite dialogue to send the viewer screaming from the theater. This is a film to be savored like the works of Rob Nilsson and John Cassavetes and like their works, more detail is discovered, more is revealed with each viewing. If only we had more films about the way things seem to be-- but that requires brave film makers and audiences willing to take risks in a world that seems to run toward mediocrity and predictability. And bravo --what striking performances from the actors-I look forward to more great works from Mr. Bond.

Well performed and written

Author: Rebecca Caldwell from Australia
21 October 2009

A great example of how 'story' can triumph over special effects and big budgets. I love how the characters are so true to life, that you feel as uncomfortable as they are during the conversation - that takes great acting AND writing.

Refreshing to see a film about real people with very real and understandable problems - the trials of living far from home, the hard work that goes into obtaining and maintaining a career in Hollywood all while struggling to keep a marriage afloat. It feels as if you are intruding on a very personal moment, congratulations to the director for pulling this off!

An exquisite film that drags you in to the inbuilt conflict of relationships and doesn't let you go.

Author: hope-nicholas from Australia
21 October 2009

Michael Bond has used the self-defined constraints of his script and budget to great advantage here. The confines of the major setting - the inside of a car on traffic-heavy L.A roads - only adds to the expanding depth of discovery that his characters go through on their journey through the city, and into their relationship. What could have been a problem for the film in the hands of a lesser director or less accomplished actors, is here a plus: it ratches up the tension kilometre by tortured kilometre, with a well-earned, yet still double-edged visual and dramatic rest in the middle. Highly recommended.

Best feature debut I've seen in a very long time

Author: raoclery from Australia
28 October 2009

It's difficult to add to the previous comments, with which I agree wholeheartedly. I'm usually an action/sci-fi movie junkie, but Passengers floored me for all the reasons expressed above. I think there is a depth to Passengers such that each of us in a relationship will find it talking personally to us at many points. From a technical perspective, Passengers is beautifully and succinctly shot, with the stunningly rich LA lights contrasting the mood within the SUV. Cutaway shots strengthen the developing poignancy, and the audio and atmospherics are perfectly integrated. This is simply the best feature debut I have seen in a very long time. I can't wait for Mr Bond's next movie!

enthralling

Author: pdaddo from Australia
27 October 2009

I was kept in a state of anticipation, drawn in by the excellent photography as well as the connection and then disconnection of the 2 characters. At times I felt I was in the car and experiencing their pain and frustrations. Great acting and great screenplay! Los Angeles was brought alive in the process of the drive experience. The story started with absolutely no idea as to who the characters were but one could guess they were "normal" and heading out for dinner; rushed, not entirely comfortable with the night's arrangements and yet on their way. How it unwound was both exciting and sad and at times too close for comfort. Was that me behind the wheel? Was that the end of the journey for them both or was it a repairable situation? One is left to create the future without a script. That in itself makes the film even more exciting. Great work by all involved!