Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Page 4 of 49: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Jack Is Back.....

Author: bk_connection from Copenhagen, Denmark
16 May 2011

I can imagine that many has been sitting with a feeling if the Pirates concept is going too far(Specially after POC nr.3) but thanks to a tight script this fourths installment of POC is definitely worth a watch.

I personally didn't like the 3rd one cause of too much talk and confusion, but this one lives up to the first two.

Jack Sparow and captain Barbosa are the scene stealer s, their chemistry is Top-Notch. Cruz and rest of the crew did very well.

And thank god that Orlanda Bloom and that Skinny girl is not in the movie.

Go for this movie, it got everything from comedy, action, adventure and the most important: Captain Jack Sparow.

Getting Old and Tiresome

Author: pc95 from San Diego
9 January 2012

Here's a franchise that definitely needs to be put to bed and fast. Directed by Rob Marshall, "Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides" is mostly a bore and more rehash and retread than anything else. Depp and Rush are back at it as their characters, but the characters themselves have completely worn out their welcome. The story is over-long, and has a couple of fairly interesting sequences - one being Depp's initial escape from the King of England, and two a Mermaid "battle", but these last only a scant 20 min of the bloated 130 min runtime. I fast-forwarded through a good chunk of this movie. You'd think they'd figure it out that a movie needs a lot more than a new character and quest for it to be worth your viewing time. Give it a miss.

Show me that horizon!

Author: anderson356145 from GA
25 May 2011

Thoroughly enjoyable! Although the plot could have been more substantial, it is worth 2 hours and 15 minutes of your time. Because there were so many sub-plots in P.O.C. At Worlds End, I had to go see that one twice to make sure I understood it all - but I still loved it. On Stranger Tides was perhaps a little *too* simple, I think....but again, I still enjoyed it. Note: Ian McShane should have been nastier & meaner. In the scheme of things, Cutler Beckett (from P.O.C. 2 & 3) was a more despicable and unlikable character than Blackbeard turned out to be. Just for perspective, I am a grandmother and I am happy to say that I am still a die-hard P.O.C. fan. Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush might cringe if they saw this, but I could sit and listen to Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa read a dictionary for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Here's hoping for another P.O.C. in 4 or 5 years - and I am sure with a clever script they will get the formula just right. Forget the critics - it's a fun movie. Go see it. Now! Savvy?

Great Flick but 3D not used properly

Author: grantch from United States
23 May 2011

Enjoyed the flick very much. Love Depp and Cruz and everyone in it. Great story and a lot of fun. But why pay extra for 3D if the possible effects were not utilized. Nearly 60 years ago one-eyed director Andre de Toth mapped out 3D in the Vincent Price House of Wax much more cleverly than is utilized in this Pirates. Old 3D movies showed very specific (if exaggerated) depth and did not hesitate to throw things out of the screen at the audience. I sometimes wonder if modern 3D movies are even shot in 3D as most scenes seem to lack that illusion of depth. Kudos to the film itself, a lot of fun. But be aware that the 3D claim is a rip off. (I saw it in Real 3D, perhaps the iMax version is more effective.)

A Pirate's Life for Me

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
21 May 2011

Greetings again from the darkness. I will make no apology for being a fan of the "Pirates" series. This is the fourth film and the best since the first. Though I liked them enough, I felt the second and third depended too much on special effects and the need to overwhelm, whereas this one concentrates more on the colorful characters. This latest entry is also directed by Rob Marshall ("Chicago") rather than Gore Verbinski, who directed the first three.

Of course, what really matters is that Johnny Depp is back as Captain Jack Sparrow. And in fine form, I might add. He comes across more clever, witty and less buffoonish than in the previous two. His character is much better as a worthy adversary than a clown prince. In this one, he alternates between matching wits and swords with no less than three characters. First, Geoffrey Rush is back as Barbossa. Only this time, he seems to have gone legit with the King's navy. Next we have Sparrow's long-lost love from Seville played by Penelope Cruz. They also match wits and swords (and facial hair). Lastly, we have the legendary pirate Blackbeard, played with full force by Ian McShane. Were it not a Disney movie, McShane could have made his Blackbeard one of the most frightening characters ever seen on screen. Even with the limitations, he performs exceedingly well.

The "plot" of the film involves the search for Ponce de Leon's ship and the much desired Fountain of Youth. The race is on between Sparrow, Blackbeard, the Spainiards and Barbossa who is acting on behalf of King George (a wonderful Richard Griffiths). As always, it's not always easy to tell which characters are partners and which are adversaries. That's half the fun! An interesting twist is that in order to have the desired results from the infamous fountain, one must drink from a specific chalice and include a single mermaid tear. Of course, everlasting youth shouldn't be too easy to achieve. The mermaid sequences are fascinating, though we really only get to know one of them - Syrena played with soulful eyes by Astrid Berges-Frisbey.

Thankfully, two long time characters are absent from this film - Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley. Both were dead-weight that caused major drag in the two most recent Pirates films. Cruz and McShane are infinitely more interesting and entertaining and play off of Captain Jack much better.

Speaking of Depp's Jack Sparrow, I would make the argument that this character has entered the rarefied air of film comedy icon. I would put him at or near the level of the all-time best recurring comic characters: Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers, NOT Steve Martin), Austin Powers (Mike Myers) and the Little Tramp (Charlie Chaplin). Of course, there are loads of others that have made a name for themselves but are a step below: Ernest (Jim Varney), Fletch (Chevy Chase), Wayne and Garth (Wayne's World), Riggs and Murtaugh (Lethal Weapon), etc. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

As I have stated many times, comedy is such a personal choice that it's always difficult to review. What sets the Pirate's films apart (especially one and four) are the characters combined with action and witty banter. No, it's not for everyone, but if you like this style, it's difficult to beat.

Back to basics and a smart choice. Could it be studios are wising up?

Author: briangcb from Ontario, Canada
28 May 2011

I will say that I am a fan of all the PotC movies, the second one is probably my favourite...but my reasons for liking sequels to action films or comic book movies is usually that while the first one is usually the best, it sets up the characters, they all meet, develop relationships, etc. so the second film leaves more room for action and advancing stories. Which is the case for PotC. The first one is definitely the best executed, but I enjoyed the second one for its action, effects, humour, etc. My complaints about Pirates 2 and 3 were that they became so complex and ridiculous that they were just wayyyy out there. I had no trouble following the plot but I couldn't help but think that younger audience members wouldn't know what the hell was going on at all. Also, in the first film we're not entirely sure if Jack Sparrow is trying to screw people over to secure his own gains, or if he's helping himself by helping others. It's clearly stated by the end of the film that he's actually a good man. Yet in Pirates 2 and 3 he's blatantly trying to screw people over who had helped save him previously.

So when I heard that a fourth pirates movie was in production, I wasn't thrilled. My main thought was "Whatever, we'll see." Once it was released I decided to go see it at the theatre and I was pleasantly surprised. The plot was straightforward, they're trying to find the fountain of youth and they list the steps needed to complete this. Jack is back to being the honestly dishonest (honestly) pirate we all came to love. There are mermaids, zombies (sort of) and of course the fountain of youth. But the plot never gets too complicated or completely ridiculous. My complaint about the film was the main villain Blackbeard wasn't fleshed out enough. He shows up fairly late into the film and he's never really shown to be the scariest pirate to sail the sea. Davy Jones and his crew were much more menacing.

All in all, if the series continues with this pattern of keeping the movies simple and fun then I'm all for more of them being made.

Pirates Lite

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
24 May 2011

With "On Stranger Tides," the Pirates franchise gets to concentrate more on the character of Capt. Jack Sparrow. Johnny Depp really has this character down pat, and obviously has fun with it. Old characters are still there, such as Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), Gibbs and Jack's father, who are as we know them. But we also get to meet a woman from his past in the person of Angelica, who may or may not be Blackbeard's daughter. Honestly, I thought Penelope Cruz could not possibly be convincing as a pirate, but I was glad to be wrong. She could swashbuckle with the rest of them pirates.

While the relationship between Sparrow and Angelica was more on the comedy level, a new romantic pair was also introduced in the characters of the compassionate missionary Philip (Sam Claflin) and the mysterious Syrena (Astrid Berges-Frisbey). While I read a lot of criticism about how useless this angle was to the film, I actually felt the scenes of these new characters were well-executed by new director Rob Marshall. I do not think they bog the storyline down at all.

"On Stranger Tides" features a race to the Fountain of Youth which was a great concept. We watched in 3D and I was glad to see that these were not mere post-production effects, and they lasted the whole movie. The 3D was certainly not a rip-off in this one! Those fight and chase scenes in the palace of the mad King George were amazingly shot. The special effects of the pirates encounter with mermaids contribute well to the eerie and menace of those scenes.

This was the first Pirates movie that my two boys watched with me. After watching, I felt that indeed this film was the best way to introduce the Pirates to kids. It is shorter, lighter and faster-paced than the first three more "serious" films, which are more adult in orientation. This is not to mean that "Tides" is a lesser film quality though. I would think it could launch a trilogy of its own for its new fans.

A New Fresh Start

Author: logoking10 from United States
24 May 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides offers exactly what the title suggests, the universe of Pirates with new and exciting angles. This film departs from the Will x Elizabeth story line of the original trilogy, and instead explores the grand adventures that most fans of the original Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl knew that Sparrow had and must continue to have. Jack is as distracted and brilliant as he has always been, and the once villain Barbosa threatens to become far more likable and sympathetic than the original trilogy ever allowed him to. Not to say that he isn't still a ruthless, generally intolerably mannered pirate at heart. Then we have Blackbeard, terror of the seas. Ted Elliot and Terry Rosio certainly did their homework when creating the character and the dialog that surrounds him, and even play with various myths and legends that surrounded the man and myth. All in all the cast do a spectacular job, as has been standard for the series, and Cruz, playing Jack's dynamic love interest, works in brilliant accord with Depp to affect a watchable (if not at times a bit explicit) relationship. On Stranger Tides delivers a fantastic adventure and a solid several minutes of very pleasant escapism.

Good and enjoyable

Author: bravo-super from Bulgaria
24 May 2011

I expected more spectacular and impressive film. Movie is good and enjoyable, is also completed, unlike other parts. Many helps 3D effect. The best moments are collected in advertising the film. However, it should be seen, one of the mandatory. Penelope stood not particularly well. Interestingly, once again, Depp is not presented as a leader, but the entire film rests on Depp. I do not see how the movie will be extended without losing the magic. In my opinion, should be scored another strong character. Depp to present itself as an adult who instructs his grandson Charlie Sheen:). The new target of the pirates may be to find Atlantis and come into collision with pirates from other planets.

Captain Jack is back and helps this pirate move float.

Author: Aaron1375
23 May 2011

I was not expecting this one to be quite as good as it turned out mainly because of the review I read of it that made it seem really bad. I have to disagree with that review, however, as I found it a good movie, better than the second and third installments of this film, but not as good as the still best first one. This one sort of picks up after the third one in that the object of everyone's desire is the fountain of youth as the pirate Blackbeard, the English and the Spaniards are after this most magical of places. For the waters of youth to work one most first get two silver chalices and a mermaids tears. Jack at the moment is in England, but he shall get around quite a lot in this one. His old nemesis and sometimes partner Barbossa is also back this time seemingly in league with the English. The action in this one is rather good and Captain Jack Sparrow is once again the best character, only this time he is the main guy with no others taking time away from him in bunches like the previous two installments. The scenery in areas of the film is just really gorgeous once they get to the area of the fountain of youth. There is also a very nice mermaid scene to be seen as well, just enjoyed most of the film. Granted there are questions one has while watching this film such as Blackbeard's mysterious powers that are not really explained and if it was I missed it, however I had questions like this one for all three of the other movies too. So a good movie, better than Pirates 2 and 3 for me and a nice ending to boot. I do not know this one just flowed better than the previous two pirate movies. At least for me, the one review made this film sound very slow and not all that entertaining aside from a couple of scenes. I guess I just enjoyed seeing Captain Jack Sparrow back sans Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly who I feel had to much screen time in parts two and three.