Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Page 17 of 49: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Pirates number 4

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
2 September 2012

On Stranger Tides is not as well written as the first of the series. I did like some of the settings, such as the tavern where Jack talks to his father. I enjoy seeing the recreations of the time period. The dialog was good enough to keep things interesting. The mermaid attack was done in a very threatening way, although it doesn't feel as epic as the giant squid. There were a few things that weren't really explained that left me unsatisfied, like the ship in the bottle, and the relationship between the clergyman and the mermaid. Johnny Depp is still fun as Jack Sparrow. As long as the rest of the series is good enough, he will be remembered as one of the greatest movie characters ever.

Better, shorter and darker than it's predecessors

Author: TomTomH from United Kingdom
6 July 2012

This is the best Pirates so far. It brought numerous occasions down to lower levels such as action sequences, murderous moments, length and plot; but darker than the previous films. The story is much easier to follow than the last sequel (At World's End). Captain Jack Sparrow and Mr. Gibbs go on a hunt to find the Fountain of Youth. But it's not just them that are hunting for it alone: Blackbeard and his daughter Angelica are after it too. Brimming with swashbuckling special effects and thrilling moments, this film gives another cinematic experience of pirates, treasure hunting, scary stuff and sword fighting. A franchise and film that could carry on to do more sequels but wait until you've watched it to agree.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - 4 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
2 July 2012

In her 1969 essay, "Trash, Art and the Movies", Pauline Kael said, "Movies are so rarely great art, that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we have very little reason to be interested in them."

What we've got here is a franchise that is absurd and preposterous, long and loud, silly and stupid. It has sailed to many seas and crossed numerous tides. These pirates have found treasures of all sorts and sizes, except common sense. We don't need this franchise, but what elevates "Pirates of the Caribbean" from trash trash to great trash is that it fully recognizes its absurd, preposterous, long, loud, silly and stupid self.

I've always believed that dumb movies can be celebrated if it stuffs its empty brain with fun and humor. And it seems that there is not a moment in this movie where the characters treat the plot with any form of seriousness. Even when our heroes are at a state where their lives are in grave danger, they somehow manage to squeeze in a punch line and laugh, and we are invited to laugh with them.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/pirates-caribbean-stranger- tides/

Less chaotic and confusing than some of the earlier entries in the series

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
6 June 2012

Currently a captain without a ship - the Black Pearl having been shrunk and placed inside a sealed bottle, at least for the time being - the inimitable Jack Sparrow finds himself impressed on a vessel, captained by the Spanish pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), that is hot on the trail of Ponce de Leon's famed but ever elusive Fountain of Youth. Meanwhile, a British contingent, led by peg-legged "privateer, not pirate" Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), is on the same mission, though he claims to be doing it not for personal enrichment but for king and country.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," with a screenplay by Ted Elliott and Terry Rosio and direction by Rob Marshall, keeps the storyline fairly simple and streamlined this time out, avoiding the overstuffed, convoluted plotting that often made the earlier installments all but impossible to follow. Even Johnny Depp himself, in the spirit of the enterprise, seems to have toned down some of the more flamboyant qualities of his earlier performances and appears to be relishing playing a pirate who is less in charge of his own fate and more at the mercy of the other characters this time around. Yet, he's still able to land a sharp-tongued barb with the best of them, whether it be against Blackbeard, Barbossa or Angelica, the feisty love interest played by the beautiful Penelope Cruz.

As is par for the course, the movie runs on far too long, padding out its length with a sappy romance between a preacher-man and a mermaid and a few too many distended swordfights for the movie's (and the audience's) good, but, overall, this turns out to be one of the less top-heavy and heavy-handed of the "Pirates" films.

A Rousing New Adventure

Author: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com from Indonesia
31 May 2012

Johnny Depp is back with the most iconic role of his career, Captain Jack Sparrow. It's time to fly the pirate flag again. Thiz time, he is on a quest for the Fountain of Youth without two other main characters, Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley). But don't worry, it doesn't mean that thiz sequel will be less fun than the previous trilogy. They sail at almost full speed, the infamous pirates like Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and my favorite Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) are about to make a rousing new adventure. Thiz sequel is directed by Rob Marshall who is formerly known for his successful musicals like "Chicago" (2002) and "Nine" (2009). For the first half hour, Captain Jack's adventure is still exciting to follow, when he is captured by King George II and manages to escape. His comedy routine is still so fresh. I have to add something regarding the performance of Richard Griffiths as King George II, I love his funny face expression so much! His goofy and indolent expression is really fun to watch. The rest of the movie is pretty similar to its predecessor "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003), "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (2006) and "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" (2007). They insert unrevealed love context between Captain Jack and his seductive ex-girlfriend Angelica Teach (Penélope Cruz). Surprisingly, Cruz can fill her role quite well among these pirates. If we compare to the previous films, there is a decrease in dark and mysterious nuances that have been the characteristic of thiz franchise. Yes, we still feel thiz atmosphere when Captain Jack in Blackbeard's ship the Queen Anne's Revenge or when they are surrounded by extremely exotic and beautiful mermaids. Beside that, we won't find any more. Just like its predecessor, the story contains several subplots which may not be easy to understand. You have to put some extra efforts to comprehend the core of the story. Why they need Mermaid? What are the motives behind the involvement of Barbossa, Blackbeard and the third party Spain? Well, don't ask me. I find myself still thinking… How The Black Pearl ends up in a bottle in the first place?!

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com

Nice !!!

Author: gokberk_09 from Turkey
29 May 2012

This film is action, adventure and fantasy. According to me, it contains comedy, too. The players and the workers in the making process are so successful that they made a great movie like that. Apart from these, the special effects make the film spectacular, so the spectators can watch the movie pleasurably. The plot is when Jack (Johnny Depp) crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz), he's not sure if it's love or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past. The other thing is that Jack (Johnny) is a great actor. The film has so perfect scenes, effects and sounds. You will feel like you are in this situation. Thus, my comment will be positive and I suggest all of you to watch it. Be sure, you will like it.

Aye matey !!!

Author: High Contrast from at my place
20 May 2012

I've liked all Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and this one is no exception. I strongly believe, they are the best movie productions, delivered by Disney since the beginning of the 21 century. I always found myself at the ending, waiting for the next one. It's one of those rare movies, with great sequels. So, as long as the producers deliver the same amount of quality, they can keep them coming forever, personally I don't mind.

Surprisingly, even if Pirates of the Caribbean series are filled to the extreme with well known, pirates related themes (skeletons, ghost ships, treasure chests, guns and rapier blades, riots and many more) everything is somehow packed in such an unique way, that the result is a very genuine, astonishingly entertaining movie. I know I didn't felt a minute of boredom watching all four of them.

There are also lots of good funny moments, and great performances in the behalf of all actors, most amazing being Geoffrey Rush's impersonation of Barbossa and of course Johnny Deep as the wicked, perfidious, double- crossing but somehow, also kind at heart, Jack Sparrow. The characters are so well done and played, you can't build antipathy towards neither of them, even if in the line of events, they trick each other quite frequently. You can't even dislike those characters you know for sure, they supposed to be villains from A to Z, because everything it's just so fun to see.

In On Stranger Tides, our heroes Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann are left to rest, living their never ending love, while another steps into the scene, Angelica Teach (Penelope Cruz), Blackbeard's (Ian McShane) daughter. Basically Angelica is the female version of Jack Sparrow, this being suggested also by the fact Jack encounters her disguised as him, being more cunning than our previous heroes, Will and Elizabeth, combined. I won't go further into detail, as I don't like using spoilers, especially when it's about such awesome movies.

Bottom line, even if this is the forth sequel, it's more than worthy of its predecessors and I recommend it,especially to those who enjoyed the previous ones. For those who haven't seen them already, I would advice to go and see the previous three first, even if they aren't heavily related. There are some things that won't seam as funny as they should if you haven't seen the previous ones, as for example, what's so funny about that scene at the beginning, when Barbossa enters dressed as a royal navy captain.

Jack Sparrow and adventure

Author: habibe korkmaz from Turkey
9 May 2012

Captain Jack Sparrow...Pirates of the Caribbean a series of adventure.Johnny Depp is professional and little different person.So the movie was good.The film is filled with action-packed, fun and sometimes hilarious fight sequences, witty dialog and wonderful, new characters. There is some bizarre love story between two characters . The mermaids are the most fascinating part of The Stranger Tides.This is one Pirate movie you don't want to miss out on.Overall this is a good movie.The movie is overall entertaining and funny. I can say this part perfect so i recommend everyone to watch this movie . Finally, the highlight is the mermaid scenes. My rate is seven.THANKS AND REGARDS..

Lives up to its predecessors

Author: arginnon from Budapest, Hungary
4 May 2012

I am a big Pirates of the Caribbean fan, so I'm kind of ashamed of myself for seeing it so late after the release. I didn't know what to think of this movie before I went to see it, because some people loved it, yet some hated it: so I had to check it out for myself. I did do that and I went into the cinema with no expectations what so ever, so I was not disappointed. Wasn't disappointed? I loved the film!

It was very entertaining, the writers did a great job. Johnny Depp was absolutely amazing as usual and Geoffrey Rush played well too. Ian McShane was kind of a weak villain, and the movie took a little bit too much time to start (the first half is very slow, with unnecessary sword fights), but for the second half Rob Marshall finally finds himself and continues the film in a good pace and rhythm. I don't think Marshall is a better or worse director than Gore Verbinski, the change of directors freshened up the franchise a bit. I didn't mind the priest- mermaid love story in the film either, I think it was a good added spice.

I wouldn't go as far as to say this film was the best in the series, but it was by far the most entertaining and it lived up to the first one. Thanks to Hans Zimmer's breath-taking music, Johnny Depp's performance and the hilarious character of Jack Sparrow, this franchise will never get old for me.

Worse than others but good

Author: abdullahsameddemir from Turkey
1 May 2012

I am disappointed.

I think this is the worst movie in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. I was expecting better than that. The scenario could be better. Action parts could be longer.

Action parts were perfect but short. But We can't say this for other parts. They were really absurd and long. They were really good in the other "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

But I liked last scenes. They were meaningful. In my opinion last scenes saved the movie.

That's why I voted 6 out of 10.