Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Page 2 of 49:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Better than the third

Author: josh-carrigan from United States
25 May 2011

POTC-OST is not the best of the series, but it is a step in the right direction. If you, like me, were very disappointed with the third Pirates movie then I do not blame you for wanting to skip out on this one. In fact I was considering not seeing this one myself, especially when the critics reviews came out. I decided to give it a chance, primarily because I had seen the other ones. I was pleasantly surprised and ending up liking the movie. One of the major differences between this and the other Pirates movies (and it is one everyone is going to notice right off the bat) is that Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightely are not in this movie. I am not too disappointed, there story overtook the third Pirates movie, which is part of the reason I did not like it. I was also sick of Knightely terrible speech scenes (if you saw the third you know exactly what I mean). Furthermore a few other pirates who were franchise regulars were missing in this one. What is left from the original three is Jack, Barbosa, Gibbs and the monkey makes two brief cameo appearances.

There was a number of things wrong with the third Pirates movie, among them was the fact that it was long, or it felt long at least. This movie is the shortest of the Pirates films and it moves at a brisk pace. The third Pirates slowed down considerably in the middle, to the point it was almost unbearable to watch. This movie does not make that mistake. This movie is almost all action and because of this it did not feel long, at least in my opinion.

As usual the effects were great. The action is almost nonstop and when there is no action there is enough going on to keep the audience interested. There is also plenty of signature Jack Sparrow humor. Since the previous two (especially the third) were focused almost entirely on the story of Will and Elizabeth Jack was almost forgotten. Another reason the third suffered. It was great to have that story out of the way, because this movie is focused on Jack and that is a strength.

Despite the fact that it improved on a number of the things that made the third bad, this one still is not up to par with the original. It is a good movie all around. It is refreshing and reminds us why we liked these movies in the first place. I recommend giving it a shot, don't expect anything great, just know that this movie is superior in every way to the third.

Appalling, boring, joyless, lifeless dismal waste of time

Author: mark-palmos from London, East Grinstead
19 May 2011

I have enjoyed most of the other Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but decreasingly so. Now, it seems with 3D, you do not have to have a movie which has a story, just a bunch of fight scenes, people fighting to win a race to get to the fountain of youth.

Mr Rush was the only enjoyable thing about the movie. I am disappointed J Depp would sink to this kind of rubbish. There is LITERALLY no story, so it is hard to comment about it, but it is Hollywood in a very bad state when crap like this gets churned out as an excuse for entertainment.

Special effects and 3D does not excuse having no character development/theme/intrigue etc... there just was nothing there other than 3D and FX trying to puff itself up into a worthwhile entity. MASSIVE FAIL.

Wow, almost as bad as The Happening

Author: thebard2000 from United States
22 May 2011

Just be entertaining. But, you couldn't even do that could you Pirates4. Oh well, you'll be too busy counting your money to care anyway, wont you. Nice job marketing department.

I went into this with the idea that they were going to strip it down a bit, compared to the last two, and maybe reel in the silliness a bit. It looked like they did try to do that, but they forgot to insert anything to take the silliness's place.

The acting, except for Stephen Graham (he was good so his role functioned well), was RIDICULOUSLY bad. Johnny Depp was as idiotic, if not more, in his attempt to portray a character than ever. And his character was as inconsistent throughout the movie as ever. There is no definition of character in Jack Sparrow. It's just a matter of catering to the audience scene by scene. Jack Sparrow isn't a multifaceted man (manly, funny, romantic, etc.) he is just a plot device used by over-payed scared writers to illicit whatever response from the audience that their research has proved will entire people to continue paying for this product.

Penelope Cruz's character, was never anything more than just Penelope Cruz reading cue cards looking hot trying to exude sex appeal to entire male viewers. Neither she nor Depp ever looked like they felt what they were saying or ever actually became their character.

Ian McShane was also just going through motions.

Stephen Graham though somehow managed to understand his character and he disappeared into it, adding something to it. Kudos to him. He must have ignored the director and just went on instinct.

I liked Thor a lot because it entertained me. Pirates4 didn't. It was predictable and not funny. Instead of being a convincing charade it was a transparent one.

The audience I was with wasn't laughing much either. This movie is a waste of time and I'm betting the great reviews it's gotten on IMDb are paid for written by plants.

Hopefully it's another 2 years at least before the Pirates of the Caribbean machine begins casting it's misleading spell over the world with it's slick, sophisticated, tricky, deceptive advertising methods that lead people to believe the product is more than it is. The marketing for THIS piece of junk was great at concealing just how empty and pointless this film is.

Every aspect of this movie, every scene of it is designed only to cater to the audience. No vision other than cashing in.

Back to the spirit of the Black Pearl

Author: bassrourke from Australia
16 May 2011

These Pirates films are all about entertainment and thankfully this latest adventure with Captain Jack Sparrow at the helm is back to basics, reminding me of the formula that made the very first one, Curse of the Black pearl so great. Don't worry I won't give anything away here but be aware that the opening 20 minutes is one funny sequence and quirky one liner after another. There is also a couple of hilarious cameos, one may be familiar but the other was a right royal shock. Depp walks through his lethargic swaying pirate character with ultimate ease, while new high seas bad boy Blackbeard is exceptional, but not as cool as Sparrows former flame played by Cruz. She is foxy, feisty and funny. The action is elevated by some wonderful 3D effects but I am sure the film would be just as rocking without it. Finally, the highlight is the Mermaid scenes. As dark as they are, they take the viewer into their web of intrigue. Australian Gemma Ward even sings during an evocative moment. Remember to stay on after the credits for an EXTRA scene. After the last two installments left me crying with disappointment, I Loved it.

Wish I'd bought Lottery tickets instead of movie tickets for this one!

Author: doubleclearjumper from United States
27 May 2011

Oh, Dear, I love Johnny Depp and the PotC movie experience, but this one is best left out... So sorry I bothered... The characters were so lackluster, I did not care about any of them... But the script was so poor, how can you expect the actors to salvage it??? Ian McShane: wasted, Penelope Cruz: looked as if she was struggling with pregnancy discomfort, Mermaids and the religious man: put me to sleep and pure filler... Filmed way too dark which made it difficult to see my several glances at my watch to see when I could leave... Tedious in all the darkness... Depp is reported to have earned $55,000,000 with this and actually had script input.... Get new writers! I wanted so bad to see a good PotC movie after the last (Land's End) rubbish, but I was disappointed once again... Depp and Cruz had zero chemistry between them... It was not a 'love interest'.... They appeared to barely know each other... At least O Bloom and K Knightly looked like they had feelings for each other... I don't think Capt Jack even needs a 'love interest', he's a rogue out for adventure and pirate booty (Ok, that does not mean 'women'!). Cruz did nothing for me and could have been left out entirely....

Where were the 'fun' characters that enhance the story? No laughs or even thrills... An incredible bore from start to finish.... I really, really wanted to like this movie, and I am easy to please, but I would have rather bought Lottery tickets for my money....

I did not view it in 3D because I did not see how it would add anything.... The production costs were scaled back, but 3D adds a reported $30,000,000 to filming, so it was wasted money... Get a good script via a good story! The 3rd PotC movie was written virtually on the beach as it was being filmed, and it showed.... This version suffered from a bad storyline and no plot.... I'm afraid the best is now behind us, and the 'make it fast, bring in the money' attitude has taken over....

I want another hilarious and unforgettable scene like the time Capt Jack appears walking onto the wharf as the boat he's on sinks into the depths... It still makes me smile every time I see it... Bring me that again....

Spoiler Free Review

Author: duwoppywop from United States
12 May 2011

Ahoy, and so here we are in 2011 with another Pirate's adventure on the horizon. An adventure that contains fresh humor, intrigue, mystery and visuals, yet reminds us what we love so much about the original.

Many critics complained that P2 and P3 were bogged down with sub plots, interweaving stories, and that it became to heavy for some to handle. Well, if thats how you felt, then you are going to love On Stranger Tides. It is a return to form in a sense, without feeling rehashed. Jack is forever brilliant as he goes on his search for the fountain of youth. However, Jack isn't alone. Penelope is brilliant as well, her charm and wit fit in perfectly to the Pirate's world. Less not forget the menacing foe, Blackbeard, who's retchidness is so vile that not once do you think to yourself "oh thats just Ian McShane".

The Pirates themselves aren't only thing propelling this franchise to the next level. The visuals themselves are absolutely stunning. The water shots are a site to behold and the jungle scenes are lush and vibrant. These guys did 3D right! So, if you're looking for an adventure thats fresh and doesn't carry any of the same complaints as the last two, while still seeming charmingly similar, this should be your pick this summer!!!!

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Author: absolutely-ashwin from India
24 May 2011

Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) travels to London to locate a person who has been impersonating him. The imposter has been recruiting a crew to search for the legendary Fountain of Youth. First Sparrow rescues his former first mate, Joshamee Gibbs (Kevin McNally), who is about to be hanged, though the two are captured. Jack is brought before King George II (Richard Griffiths), who wants him to guide an expedition to the Fountain of Youth before the Spanish find it. Heading the expedition is Jack's old nemesis, Captain Hector Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), now a privateer in service to the British Navy after having lost Jack's ship, the Black Pearl, as well as his leg.

Jack escapes, and is found by his father, Captain Teague (Keith Richards), who warns Jack about the Fountain's tests. Jack then discovers that the imposter is Angelica (Penélope Cruz), his former lover and daughter of the ruthless pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), who possesses several magical powers, including the ability to shrink other ships down to miniature size and contain them within bottles (the fate of the Black Pearl). Blackbeard is also a master of voodoo, and has rendered his most trusted lieutenants into completely loyal, seemingly invulnerable zombies, in addition to being able to create working voodoo dolls. Finally, Blackbeard possesses a magical cutlass that gives him total control over the rigging of any ship, allowing him to easily subdue a crew by tying them up with the ropes. Blackbeard forces Jack to join his crew and lead them to the Fountain to circumvent a prophecy that a one-legged man will soon kill Blackbeard. Meanwhile, Gibbs, who memorized, then destroyed Sparrow's map, joins Barbossa's crew in order to beat Blackbeard and the Spanish to the Fountain.

Aboard Blackbeard's ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, Angelica reveals that the Fountain's water must be drunk from silver chalices once belonging to Juan Ponce de León, and that one chalice must contain a mermaid's tear. Whoever drinks from the chalice without the tear will die; while the person drinking from the chalice with the tear will have their life magically extended, by "all the years the other person has lived, and all they might have lived". Blackbeard intends to use this magic to circumvent his fated encounter with the one-legged man, and so the Queen Anne's Revenge heads to Whitecap Bay, where he traps a mermaid that a captive missionary, Philip Swift (Sam Claflin), later names Syrena (Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey). Blackbeard then sends Sparrow to steal the chalices from de León's grounded ship. Sparrow arrives finding only Barbossa: the Spanish have already taken the chalices.

Barbossa admits he only wants to kill Blackbeard for capturing the Black Pearl, forcing Barbossa to amputate his own leg to escape in the process. He and Jack devise a plan to defeat Blackbeard; they then steal the chalices from the Spanish camp nearby. Meanwhile, Angelica tricks Syrena, who has fallen in love with Philip (who returns those feelings), into shedding a tear, which Blackbeard collects, then leaves her to die while forcing Philip to go with him. Sparrow returns with the chalices and Gibbs, who he had reunited with while helping Barbossa. Jack blackmails Blackbeard to get back his confiscated magical compass (which points in the direction of whatever the person holding it desires most) and to free Gibbs in exchange for giving him the chalices and leading them to the Fountain. Blackbeard accepts Jack's terms and Jack continues to lead them, while Gibbs, who is let go, departs with Jack's compass.

At the Fountain, Blackbeard and his crew are attacked by Barbossa and the Spanish, who have been sent by the king to destroy the Fountain, believing its ability to grant eternal life to be an abomination against God. After a lengthy fight, Barbossa stabs Blackbeard with a sword laced with lethal venom from a poison dart frog, but Angelica is also wounded by it. Barbossa then steals Blackbeard's magical sword and escapes alongside Blackbeard's former crew. Philip, mortally wounded, escapes and returns to Syrena and frees her. After finding the chalices and giving them to Sparrow, Syrena returns and takes the dying Phillip underwater to heal him.

Angelica intends to sacrifice her life so that her father will live, but Sparrow tricks Blackbeard into drinking from the chalice without the tear while Angelica drinks from the other, killing Blackbeard and saving Angelica. However, suspecting she may try to avenge her father's death, Sparrow strands her on an island, intending for a passing ship to find her. After much bantering, they both declare their love for each other, but Jack still leaves her on the island knowing she is untrustworthy. Jack then meets up with Gibbs, who used Sparrow's compass to find the Revenge and has retrieved all the shrunken ships, including the Black Pearl, before Barbossa sets sail. The two head off, hoping to find a way to return the Pearl to its original size.

In a post-credits scene, Angelica, still on the island, finds Blackbeard's voodoo doll of Sparrow which has washed ashore.

If you like the other films you'll be happy with this one

Author: movieexplosion from Ireland
21 May 2011

Captain Jack Sparrow(Johnny Depp) is at it again in this grandiose pirate adventure in a quest to find the fabled fountain of youth. Barbossa(Geoffrey Rush) is back too minus a leg. He has given up his pirate ways and is now in the pay of the British Navy as a privateer in the hopes that they will beat the Spanish to the fountain. Whilst this race is going on Captain Jack meets up with old flame Angelica(Penélope Cruz) hot as ever and is taken captive on her father Blackbeard's(Ian McShane) boat who is also on the hunt for said fountain.

This story is back to a basic plot after the more complicated 2&3 of the series and this has been a good move. Depp is as good as ever in what is now his most famous character and Rush is back in flying form. Gibbs, Captain Jack's crew master is back too and helps maintain the feel of the series. McShane is wonderfully cast as the villainous blackbeard and one is reminded of his character in 'Deadwood'.

If you enjoyed the rest of the series you will be happy with this one and if you felt the 2nd and 3rd of the series got bogged down a bit with overcomplicated plots you will find this a refreshing change back to the form of the original.

Captain Jack Sparrow at his best!

Author: jerryfrank17 from United States
21 May 2011

The movie was fun and Captain Jack Sparrow was at his best. But even though I enjoyed the movie overall because of Captain Jack Sparrow and the fun adventure, I do see what people mean by it feels empty. There are times when it just carries on with no sense of adventure in it. The second one was too long the third too many sub plots with a a messy script and too long, but they both had a sense of fun and adventure with memorable parts in Dead Man's Chest with the Wheel fight on the island, Jack and the crew escaping the cannibals was a fun action scene, Davy Jones and the Kraken scenes and with At Worlds End the fight scene in Singapore, the adventure to Davy Jones locker with the ship going through a ice cave, flipping the ship upside down, scenes with Davy Jones, and the epic last battle with the Pearl and Flying Dutchman fighting around a maelstrom. Gore handled the action scenes perfectly but the fault in them was that if they trimmed parts out and worked harder if could have been a much better film, but as were, still good adventures with a sense of fun. The beginning action scene in On Stranger Tides, I thought was fun as when they where trying to mutiny Blackbeard, but I thought the action scenes with Gore were funner and more arousing, not that on stranger tides were embarrassingly bad but not as edge of my seat fun action scenes as with the first three. This movie also provided memorable scenes, when we first meet the mermaids is going to be one of the most memorable scenes of the series, and the jungle scenes and fountain of youth and Jack escaping in London scenes look very good and cool. And like I said earlier Captain Jack is funny and having a blast in this. Going back to On Stranger Tides not having as many memorable set pieces, it does fix in having a shorter less all over the place feel. Captain Jack and Barbossa when together were great. I was little upset and felt I was going to be disappointed because of the reviews, so this movie had to prove me wrong and make me like it and it did, cause Captain Jack was silly/ witty and having fun and so was I. Did some parts feel like they weren't leading to places, yes and I would hire new writers because besides the first one there were faults with the script, its like if thats the ideas in the movie you want, build around that and make a better, sharper script. It might have faults like in the script and writing like the other two sequels but like those two it still has a sense of fun, this one being with Captain Jack at his best.

Pirates of the Carribbean 4 3D is simple-minded and fun

Author: helmutty from Singapore
19 May 2011

I must say I enjoyed Gore's Pirates of the Carribbean trilogy very much. Although the third one is crammed with many characters and confusing story plots, I still had a great time watching ships being wrecked apart. When a forth movie is announced, I was wary of it as I thought Gore has already concluded his vision. I did not actually show much interest in watching it until I heard it is shot in 3D and I am a big 3D fan. Pirates of the Carribbean: On Stranger Tides is an entertaining ride and much more simpler than the bloated At World's End.

The story: Johnny Depp returns to his famous role, witty Captain Jack. His friend, Gibbs is back. Barbossa returns too. And these are the only characters that are back for a forth outing. Jack is still as witty as ever. Characters wise is okay. Some characters are under-used like the mermaids. Those action fans who expect Gore's visual and epic battles scenes will be a little bit disappointed in here. Rob Marshall goes for smaller yet still thrilling action set pieces. On the note of ships wrecking, there is none here. Story wise is alright. The pace moves decently. Critics and audience who complained that the previous movie is too bloated now do not need to wreck their brains with characters and confusing/long-winded side plots. Hans Zimmer is top-notch here again with the famous Pirates of the Caribbean music. As a 3D fan, I was a little disappointed with its usage of 3D. Shots of scenery are good but when it comes to the action, it lacks of the visual effects it is supposed to have and in your face moments. I have to admit that this is a bit too long for a 3D movie, struggling to keep the 3D glasses on top of my glasses and craning my neck like in Avatar.

Overall: It is another Pirates and blockbuster movie to whet movie-goers's appetite. Of course, it is not like the Gore's movies or even as big as his but this still stand up with Rob's different directions. This might start up another series as this will no doubt earn a lot in box office.

Page 2 of 49:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]