IMDb > The Watch (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Watch

The Watch More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It was fun, a little breath of fresh-air.

Author: Mike Keski from Australia
16 September 2012

First off, don't read other reviews about this, it will ruin the unexpected plot and you will probably go in with a negative view. Somebody else said that this isn't a cinematic masterpiece and that's pretty much what i agree with, but it wasn't meant to be, it had some refreshing dialogue that wasn't so much punchlines, but funny conversations,the whole movie itself was just funny in general, the plot was ridiculous but at the same time it was really funny because it was just a big joke. The same people who rate this movie down are the same people who go rate down Schwarzenegger films because they have a silly plot, it's not about the plot, it's about hardcore action and silly punchlines, just like this movie is about funny conversations and a fun plot.

If you don't like fun then don't see the watch.

Author: Patrick Wetherbee from USA
19 August 2012

I see a lot of people bashing this film for some reason. Sure it's not some cinematic masterpiece; when I went to see it I wasn't expecting that. "The Watch" is a funny buddy comedy, filled with crude jokes and the silly shenanigans that you'd expect from Stiller, Vaughn, the rest of the cast, and writer Seth Rogen. Like a delicious onion the film does a good job peeling away at the story. Yes, it is not hard see the plot coming, but it's how the characters deal with the situations they encounter, that makes the film entertaining. Crybaby critics with their stuck up trendy smugness, "See, told you the plot was predictable.." Wow, way to over dramatize the obvious, you're so clever. I bet that "Titanic" ending took you by surprise? For all those critics who whine and cry about "The Watch" maybe they should just stay home and watch one of their Disney classics on VHS. This is a great film to see, escape the chaotic world and have a few laughs.

Well, I had a good time with it!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
17 August 2012

For me, this movie is a clear sign that some film-makers still care about making a good comedy. The movie is not just simple, cheap, predictable laughs, it actually is being one that relies on its story development and character buildup.

No, I'm not saying that this is a very clever or brilliantly written and made movie but I definitely prefer the approach of this movie above that of the average and more standard modern comedy. This is being a somewhat more subtle movie with all of its comedy and how it got incorporated into the movie.

Thing that made this movie especially great and fun to watch for me were its characters. The movie truly is mostly about its characters and their interactions with each other. All of the actors play quite well off each other and manage to give their characters some distinctive and enjoyable personalities. Really, without the movie its characters and actors portraying them, this would had most likely been a terribly weak movie.

It's true that most of the actors are playing the same type of characters they often play. Ben Stiller again plays a normal guy, who gets caught up in a crazy situation and Vince Vaughn basically is being a big man-child again. But somehow it all works out quite well and entertaining for the movie and I even dare to say that some of the biggest Stiller and/or Vaughn haters still could get some enjoyment out of this movie and not feel annoyed by their performances and characters.

It's hard not to really spoil this movie but it's about something way more than just about a neighborhood watch, with a bunch of misfits in it. There are some interesting and unexpected developments in this movie, at least when you haven't heard about them already. I won't say anything about it, since I feel that it's more fun to just go into this movie, without knowing what is going to happen in it. So I advice you to also stay away from any trailers and just let this movie surprise you.

I simply had a good time watching this movie!

Disappointing, disjointed and totally lacking in humor

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
29 July 2012

I have never claimed to be a screenwriter (nor would I even try to), but it seems to me that if "The Watch" had just been about a group of goofy, inept, over-the-top neighborhood watchmen, then it could have been a much tighter, coherent and interesting endeavor.

Under the eye of director Akiva Schaffer ("Hot Rod") and penmanship of writers Jared Stern, Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen, however, the film is badly-managed and all over the map — thematically speaking. I use "writing" loosely, though, since much of the dialogue was ad-libbed by leads Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn, and the undisciplined approach certainly shows with these vulgar and stilted performances.

Adding murder, mutilation, orgies and an ill-conceived alien invasion just shows the desperation (and bloated budget) the cast and crew were forced to work with. Never has the phrase "less is more" been so sorely needed in a so-called comedic production.

Thus, the first pairing of Stiller and Vaughn since 2005′s "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" is sadly wasted as the laughs come few and far between. And, when they do, they are usually overshadowed by following sequences of slaughter, mayhem and utter confusion that leaves both casual film patron and experienced movie critic scratching their collective heads in complete bewilderment.

The ludicrous plot has longtime Costco manager Evan (Stiller) grieving over the killing of a Mexican security guard in a most offensive and stereotypical scene. Starting a comedy with a vicious, bloody murder is hardly the best way to go, but that is just the beginning of this film's problems.

Appearing in front of a high school football audience (in one of the few really funny sequences), Evan makes an appeal for neighborhood watch recruits, but can only attract three weirdos — Bob (Vaughn), Franklin (Jonah Hill, fresh from "21 Jump Street" and an Oscar- nominated performance in "Moneyball") and Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade) — who use the situation to get away from their wives and family members and look to get drunk and party.

The quartet is a joke (a really UNfunny joke, however), being ridiculed by smart-mouthed teens, random citizens and local law enforcement. When more murders take place, though, as well as the discovery of a forthcoming alien invasion, the group begins to suspect most everyone in the small Ohio town is involved (because, evidently, the invaders can also assume human form, any further plot explanation is really unnecessary at this point).

Along the way there are also several pointless subplots in "The Watch," one including Bob's slutty daughter, Chelsea (Erin Moriarty) and her sexcapades, as well as Evan's low sperm count; neither of which is even remotely interesting or humorous.

Lame supporting characters include Will Forte ("MacGruber") as the disbelieving town cop, and Rosemarie DeWitt ("Your Sister's Sister"), as Evan's non-descript wife. Then, the final conflict takes place at the Costco store and, like the rest of the enterprise is boring, confusing and nowhere near comedic at it needed to be.

And so "The Watch," the much-anticipated Stiller-Vaughn reunion (well, anticipated by SOME people, I suppose), falls flat on its face. The painfully humorless and obscene story, that meanders around like a rudderless alien spacecraft, makes this comedy one of the most disappointing and depressing adventures of the year.

Don't take it seriously

Author: reeseslightning from United States
18 November 2012

Like most comedies starring Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and/or any of the Frat Pack, people are going to complain that this was gross, unfunny, ridiculous, etc.

But they clearly expect too much from these guys. If you go into this movie thinking that you'll fall on the floor laughing then yes, you will disappointed. But I expected nothing and I laughed my butt off. It's a silly movie with a silly plot and it knows this.

If you don't like Vince Vaughn or Ben Stiller, then don't see it. It's that simple. If you do like them, give it a try. I'll definitely watch it again because it was entertaining in the most over the top way.

Slow, but boring

Author: my-lawyer from United States
11 August 2012

This movie was a collection of actors seemingly in need of a paycheck; it is slow, largely unfunny and boring. There were few genuine laughs and I found myself straining to laugh at scenes that really weren't worth the effort. Ben Stiller plays the same character he has played a dozen times and I am struggling to remember a single funny line he issued. Vince Vaughn had a few funny moments, but again, he played the same character we've seen in all of his prior movies. And, Will Forte, he only has one character. At least he was irritating. Costco was funnier than any of these has-beens and never-weres. The plot was contrived and struggled to stay together throughout. I would have walked out but for Jonah Hill, who was genuinely funny and needs to stop carrying other people's movie's. Even with his moments of brilliance, I could not wait for the movie to be over. This will be the last Ben Stiller movie I will ever see.

it was a painful experience

Author: Sultan Alrefaei from Boston, USA
30 July 2012

This movie is just about unwatchable. Filled with high-school humor,long boring conversations and horrible acting with aliens in the mix.The only people who can find this funny are stoned high teenagers and kids that just learned a new word, DICK.

This is one of those direct to DVD mistakes.

Let's face it, Ben is just not happening this days and poor Vince (a man with some talent)will be in the same boat if he keeps appearing in venues such as this.

Sitting in a theater with all of 12 people was a PAINFUL experience at best. The only bright spot in this trash pile was the sixty seconds that Lee Ermey was on screen.

My roommate asked me about the movie and i told him "Don't waste your TIME and hard-earned money!".

Brainless entertainment

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
9 April 2014

This film tells the story of a supermarket manager, who forms a neighbourhood watch after his employee was brutally killed in his supermarket.

"The Watch" is a light-hearted and fun rendition of a few unlikely heroes who save the world from alien invasion. The whole plot s so far fetched and ridiculous, that it means "The Watch" cannot be taken seriously. There is a metal ball capable of mass destruction, there is a super hunk that turns out to be more than he is, and the weak spot of the aliens is located in a particular area of the body. The dialog is juvenile and silly, but "The Watch" is all about brainless entertainment. If you treat it like a joke, you will have a lot of laughs.

An Interesting Sci-Fi Comedy!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
21 November 2013

'The Watch' is An Interesting Sci-Fi Comedy, that makes good-use of its promising premise & its well-decorated star-cast. Its Fun!

'The Watch' Synopsis: Four men who form a neighborhood watch group as a way to get out of their day-to-day family routines find themselves defending the Earth from an alien invasion.

'The Watch' isn't flawless. It has its share of minuses. But, overall, this first of its kind Sci-Fi Comedy appeals, because it makes you laugh at the right places & the performances are commendable. Talking of minuses, the uneven second-hour acts as a deterrent.

Jared Stern, Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg's Screenplay has merit. However, the second-hour, certainly, could've been more persuasive. Akiva Schaffer's Direction is credible. Cinematography & Editing are mentionable. Graphics are pretty cool. The Aliens are pretty creepy to look at!

Performance-Wise: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill & Richard Ayoade are the life of 'The Watch'. Stiller is highly efficient, while Vaughn continues to impress us with his impeccable comic-timing. Hill & Ayoade are equally effective, adding much more to their characters than offered. Also, the on-screen chemistry between the four of them, is interesting. Rosemarie DeWitt does her bit well. Will Forte is sincere.

On the whole, 'The Watch' does work, at most parts.

Somebody Kill Me!

Author: chukkabutty from United Kingdom
3 December 2012

I got about 20 minutes into this... this dreadful, tiresome, mind numbing, "comedy" and that was all I could take. I tried to find humour in Ben Stiller's performance but I'm sorry, I'm not 10 years old and don't do dope or take drugs of any kind. I just don't find Ben Stiller funny in any of his films though I bet there are any number of people behind the camera laughing at his every wide eyed attempt at ironic humour, his manager, his agent, his psychiatrist etc. Frankly, I don't think even he gets it. His idea of comedy died with the Three Stooges. Only Phil Silvers can carry off being Phil Silvers (even Steve Martin must be aware of that by now) know what I mean. Be original! The first rule of comedy is IT HAS TO BE FUNNY! It wasn't. I'd like to see Stiller in a dramatic gritty role for a change. I bet he'd make a great action actor with say Bruce Willis; he'd nail it. I have yet to see a subtle comic performance from him. Those eyes and expressions of his have been done to death. The only one who made me remotely smile was Richard Ayoade a man who through his hit UK sitcom The IT Crowd, which made the absurd brilliantly hysterical, has a genuine feel for absurd throw away dialogue. Jonah Hill can be very very funny and anarchic but in this he was miscast, sorry Jonah. Vince Vaughn "If-I-shout-loud-enough-it'll-be-funny" brand of comedy just annoyed me. It was insulting. They were all doing their own bit but none of them seemed to be relating to the others. Yes if that was the point, it didn't work. Anyone one of their characters in reality would have walked away from the others. Comedy comes out of real situations. None of that had any sense of reality about it. It was like a low budget remake of The Burbs (kind of) but without the class and black humour. My advice is don't watch it. Go and paint your car or knit yourself a suit of armour or something. You'd be better employed.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]