IMDb > The Watch (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Watch

The Watch More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

If you don't like fun then don't see the watch.

Author: Patrick Wetherbee from USA
19 August 2012

I see a lot of people bashing this film for some reason. Sure it's not some cinematic masterpiece; when I went to see it I wasn't expecting that. "The Watch" is a funny buddy comedy, filled with crude jokes and the silly shenanigans that you'd expect from Stiller, Vaughn, the rest of the cast, and writer Seth Rogen. Like a delicious onion the film does a good job peeling away at the story. Yes, it is not hard see the plot coming, but it's how the characters deal with the situations they encounter, that makes the film entertaining. Crybaby critics with their stuck up trendy smugness, "See, told you the plot was predictable.." Wow, way to over dramatize the obvious, you're so clever. I bet that "Titanic" ending took you by surprise? For all those critics who whine and cry about "The Watch" maybe they should just stay home and watch one of their Disney classics on VHS. This is a great film to see, escape the chaotic world and have a few laughs.

Well, I had a good time with it!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
17 August 2012

For me, this movie is a clear sign that some film-makers still care about making a good comedy. The movie is not just simple, cheap, predictable laughs, it actually is being one that relies on its story development and character buildup.

No, I'm not saying that this is a very clever or brilliantly written and made movie but I definitely prefer the approach of this movie above that of the average and more standard modern comedy. This is being a somewhat more subtle movie with all of its comedy and how it got incorporated into the movie.

Thing that made this movie especially great and fun to watch for me were its characters. The movie truly is mostly about its characters and their interactions with each other. All of the actors play quite well off each other and manage to give their characters some distinctive and enjoyable personalities. Really, without the movie its characters and actors portraying them, this would had most likely been a terribly weak movie.

It's true that most of the actors are playing the same type of characters they often play. Ben Stiller again plays a normal guy, who gets caught up in a crazy situation and Vince Vaughn basically is being a big man-child again. But somehow it all works out quite well and entertaining for the movie and I even dare to say that some of the biggest Stiller and/or Vaughn haters still could get some enjoyment out of this movie and not feel annoyed by their performances and characters.

It's hard not to really spoil this movie but it's about something way more than just about a neighborhood watch, with a bunch of misfits in it. There are some interesting and unexpected developments in this movie, at least when you haven't heard about them already. I won't say anything about it, since I feel that it's more fun to just go into this movie, without knowing what is going to happen in it. So I advice you to also stay away from any trailers and just let this movie surprise you.

I simply had a good time watching this movie!

It was fun, a little breath of fresh-air.

Author: Mike Keski from Australia
16 September 2012

First off, don't read other reviews about this, it will ruin the unexpected plot and you will probably go in with a negative view. Somebody else said that this isn't a cinematic masterpiece and that's pretty much what i agree with, but it wasn't meant to be, it had some refreshing dialogue that wasn't so much punchlines, but funny conversations,the whole movie itself was just funny in general, the plot was ridiculous but at the same time it was really funny because it was just a big joke. The same people who rate this movie down are the same people who go rate down Schwarzenegger films because they have a silly plot, it's not about the plot, it's about hardcore action and silly punchlines, just like this movie is about funny conversations and a fun plot.

Don't take it seriously

Author: reeseslightning from United States
18 November 2012

Like most comedies starring Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and/or any of the Frat Pack, people are going to complain that this was gross, unfunny, ridiculous, etc.

But they clearly expect too much from these guys. If you go into this movie thinking that you'll fall on the floor laughing then yes, you will disappointed. But I expected nothing and I laughed my butt off. It's a silly movie with a silly plot and it knows this.

If you don't like Vince Vaughn or Ben Stiller, then don't see it. It's that simple. If you do like them, give it a try. I'll definitely watch it again because it was entertaining in the most over the top way.

Disappointing, disjointed and totally lacking in humor

Author: gregeichelberger from San Diego
29 July 2012

I have never claimed to be a screenwriter (nor would I even try to), but it seems to me that if "The Watch" had just been about a group of goofy, inept, over-the-top neighborhood watchmen, then it could have been a much tighter, coherent and interesting endeavor.

Under the eye of director Akiva Schaffer ("Hot Rod") and penmanship of writers Jared Stern, Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen, however, the film is badly-managed and all over the map — thematically speaking. I use "writing" loosely, though, since much of the dialogue was ad-libbed by leads Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn, and the undisciplined approach certainly shows with these vulgar and stilted performances.

Adding murder, mutilation, orgies and an ill-conceived alien invasion just shows the desperation (and bloated budget) the cast and crew were forced to work with. Never has the phrase "less is more" been so sorely needed in a so-called comedic production.

Thus, the first pairing of Stiller and Vaughn since 2005′s "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" is sadly wasted as the laughs come few and far between. And, when they do, they are usually overshadowed by following sequences of slaughter, mayhem and utter confusion that leaves both casual film patron and experienced movie critic scratching their collective heads in complete bewilderment.

The ludicrous plot has longtime Costco manager Evan (Stiller) grieving over the killing of a Mexican security guard in a most offensive and stereotypical scene. Starting a comedy with a vicious, bloody murder is hardly the best way to go, but that is just the beginning of this film's problems.

Appearing in front of a high school football audience (in one of the few really funny sequences), Evan makes an appeal for neighborhood watch recruits, but can only attract three weirdos — Bob (Vaughn), Franklin (Jonah Hill, fresh from "21 Jump Street" and an Oscar- nominated performance in "Moneyball") and Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade) — who use the situation to get away from their wives and family members and look to get drunk and party.

The quartet is a joke (a really UNfunny joke, however), being ridiculed by smart-mouthed teens, random citizens and local law enforcement. When more murders take place, though, as well as the discovery of a forthcoming alien invasion, the group begins to suspect most everyone in the small Ohio town is involved (because, evidently, the invaders can also assume human form, any further plot explanation is really unnecessary at this point).

Along the way there are also several pointless subplots in "The Watch," one including Bob's slutty daughter, Chelsea (Erin Moriarty) and her sexcapades, as well as Evan's low sperm count; neither of which is even remotely interesting or humorous.

Lame supporting characters include Will Forte ("MacGruber") as the disbelieving town cop, and Rosemarie DeWitt ("Your Sister's Sister"), as Evan's non-descript wife. Then, the final conflict takes place at the Costco store and, like the rest of the enterprise is boring, confusing and nowhere near comedic at it needed to be.

And so "The Watch," the much-anticipated Stiller-Vaughn reunion (well, anticipated by SOME people, I suppose), falls flat on its face. The painfully humorless and obscene story, that meanders around like a rudderless alien spacecraft, makes this comedy one of the most disappointing and depressing adventures of the year.

it was a painful experience

Author: Sultan Alrefaei from Boston, USA
30 July 2012

This movie is just about unwatchable. Filled with high-school humor,long boring conversations and horrible acting with aliens in the mix.The only people who can find this funny are stoned high teenagers and kids that just learned a new word, DICK.

This is one of those direct to DVD mistakes.

Let's face it, Ben is just not happening this days and poor Vince (a man with some talent)will be in the same boat if he keeps appearing in venues such as this.

Sitting in a theater with all of 12 people was a PAINFUL experience at best. The only bright spot in this trash pile was the sixty seconds that Lee Ermey was on screen.

My roommate asked me about the movie and i told him "Don't waste your TIME and hard-earned money!".

Slow, but boring

Author: my-lawyer from United States
11 August 2012

This movie was a collection of actors seemingly in need of a paycheck; it is slow, largely unfunny and boring. There were few genuine laughs and I found myself straining to laugh at scenes that really weren't worth the effort. Ben Stiller plays the same character he has played a dozen times and I am struggling to remember a single funny line he issued. Vince Vaughn had a few funny moments, but again, he played the same character we've seen in all of his prior movies. And, Will Forte, he only has one character. At least he was irritating. Costco was funnier than any of these has-beens and never-weres. The plot was contrived and struggled to stay together throughout. I would have walked out but for Jonah Hill, who was genuinely funny and needs to stop carrying other people's movie's. Even with his moments of brilliance, I could not wait for the movie to be over. This will be the last Ben Stiller movie I will ever see.

What a waste of talent!!!

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
8 January 2013

2012 was a really rough year for Ben Stiller, with 'Tower Heist' barely breaking even ($75M budget/$78M domestic/$152M worldwide) and 'The Watch' a bona fide box office flop ($68M budget/$35M domestic/$68M worldwide). So you have to ask yourself, how could a film which featured Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill have failed so miserably? Three words, "IT WASN'T FUNNY"!!!!! Plus I really have to question director Akiva Schaffer's vision for this film… what was this film suppose to be? A comedy, a sci fi film, an alien invasion flick, a murder investigation who-done-it film, a buddy flick, or a neighbor watch group defending its home turf movie??? My suggestion would have been to pick one genre and run with; however, this film trying to be all of these movies was just too insurmountable to achieve!!!!

Ben Stiller stars as Evan, a local Costco manager. When his nightshift security guard is mysteriously killed (and skinned) while at work, Evan organizes a neighborhood watch group to find the perpetrator of this hideous crime. However, the ragtag group of individuals who answer his flyers include the following: Bob (Vince Vaughn), a husband desperately seeking other men's camaraderie; Franklin (Jonah Hill), a police academy reject; and Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade), the token black guy.

This bumbling foursome is able to uncover that aliens have invaded their little metropolis, and are walking amongst the human populace in the skinned carcasses of their victims. Furthermore, the aliens are also on the verge of completing a radio transmitter which will signal their home planet, and commence a planetary invasion. However, to make this film into a "comedy", writers Jared Stern and Seth Rogen decided that the only way the kill the invading horde is to shoot them in the nads, nuts, penis region.

This film fails miserably on every level. On a comedic level, the film isn't funny. As a Sci Fi film, it's comparable to 'Mars Attacks'. There is absolutely zero charisma between any of the actors to justify calling this a buddy picture. For a film to be a successful comedy, the jokes should flow freely and effortlessly; however, this film just tries WAY TOO HARD, and the jokes are forced and unfunny. The film sequence where the watch group apprehends their first alien creature and decides to photograph the event for posterity reasons starts out fine enough, then spirals out of control into some sort drunken frat party gone awry. And as stated above, it's not funny….

This is not a dreadful film; however, this much talent should have been able to produce a raucously hilarious film with little or no effort. But what we (the audience) got was just that… little or no effort. My understanding is that almost 60% of the script was actually adlib / improv'd by the actors. Note to writers…. Do your damn job; comedic actors are only as funny as the written words you have them say!!! I cannot recommend viewing this film. This film is neither good enough to enjoy, nor bad enough to mock, therefore leaving the audience in that indifferent state of being. Indifferent is definitely one place I do not prefer to be when watching a supposed comedy, and would suggest you bypass this humorless travesty.

See more of my reviews on FB @ "The Faris Reel"

Horribly Unfunny!

Author: puloks from United States
26 July 2012

This movie was horribly unfunny! I almost fell asleep from all the boring dialogue and badly written script! Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill are now amongst the most unfunny and unoriginal funny guys of Hollywood! Which means at one point of their careers they actually were funny and original but now their out of touch! This movie is not as bad as Adam Sandler's movies that have been nothing but a crap fest lately but it is definitely up there! Don't expect this movie to be a box office hit but more like a movie that didn't need to be made especially with what went down in Florida and the Neighborhood watch! Which is why the name changed to begin with! You wonder sometimes how these movies even get made or how it passed the editing floor it's ridiculous!

There are a few undeniably funny moments of vulgarity styled after the laughs often found in the works of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
26 July 2012

It's got a great cast, an interesting setup, some hilarious dialogue and space aliens. The Watch is stocked with immature humor, gross-out gags and crass conversations as one would expect, but once the otherworldly visitors appear, it simply doesn't gel. The concept of defending against an extraterrestrial invasion has been successfully merged with humor before (see Men in Black, Mars Attacks! and Attack the Block), but here it feels like an afterthought, neither authentic nor necessary in conveying a story of misfit buddies attempting to protect their town. There are a few undeniably funny moments of vulgarity styled after the laughs often found in the works of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen, but these segments feel misplaced in a film that can't wrap itself around a sensible plot to showcase the comedy. Evan Trautwig (Ben Stiller) loves his town of Glenview, Ohio and is deeply devoted to both the community and his job as the manager of the local Costco. But when the night guard at his store is brutally murdered, Evan determines to get even more involved and creates his own "neighborhood watch" to help the undermanned police department track down the killer. Recruiting Bob (Vince Vaughn), an overprotective father who just wants to hang out with the guys, Franklin (Jonah Hill), a trigger-happy maniac rejected by the police department for mental instability, and Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade), a mild-mannered Brit with a fantasy of rescuing lonely housewives, Evan attempts to lead his misfit gang in search of clues. When the group uncovers the unearthly beings behind the crime, they must band together to save not only their beloved town, but also the whole world. The Watch is a confusing mess of genres, delving into comedy, horror (with bloody violence and slimy monstrosities), drama, romance (of the light-hearted kind), and action/adventure (bizarrely fixating on slow-motion shootouts). At times, even when it's just comedic, it switches between slapstick, situational, dialogue-driven, teen-oriented, and raunchy. It never knows what it wants to be, partly thanks to the shifting styles and perhaps mostly due to the current events surrounding the real life Neighborhood Watch shooting in Florida; a tragic incident and extremely unfortunate coincidence for the marketing of this movie forcing plenty of edits and the changing of the title. Regardless of the controversial subject matter, the unearthly direction The Watch chooses to go spells certain doom for the effectiveness of the humor. Like a spoof of Invasion of the Body Snatchers coupled with a cross between Men in Black and Old School, there's simply no home for the vast range of unrelated settings, characters, actions, and conversations (largely involving bodily fluids as if preoccupied with duplicating the verbiage of Superbad which is not surprising considering scripting by Seth Rogen). Tackling the classic scenario of a common, quiet little suburb becoming immersed in extraordinary occurrences (with a few central roles being the only ones aware of the situation), The Watch borrows too heavily from previously established filmic premises. What's worse is the promising ensemble cast, which looks good on paper but results in disinterest. Stiller is once again the straight man, insistent on doing his job; Vaughn is the loud-mouthed instigator; and Hill is the kooky oddball, spouting most of the off-the-wall comments and revealing his life to be the least matured. Will Forte rounds out the group with an amusing appearance as the stereotypical, incompetent, overconfident cop. While themes of isolation, suspicion, control, reclaiming family values, and expending limitless ammo in an environment free from sincere physical consequences seep into the mundane plot, the disorganized and extraneous feel of many of the scenes causes The Watch to be a consistently threadbare bore. - The Massie Twins

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]