IMDb > Eva (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Eva More at IMDbPro »

Amazing first feature film by Kike Maillo

Author: karlos-alastruey from Navarra, Europe
30 October 2011

I watched this film today at the movie theater. The film is beautifully acted and directed. I am very glad to see that in Spain we have new filmmakers able to work within the film industry and still make a great film in the cinematographic sense.

"Eva" is far more profound than the trailer or the publicity may suggest. It is a deep reflection on human nature and identity. But, and here comes the surprise, it is not a so-called intellectual film.

The film is very well done, and it is an example of a new wave of European cinema that is producing great films without necessarily big fireworks. Keep doing the good job, Kike.

Best robotic cat in a film to date.

Author: Nick Yeo from United Kingdom
1 February 2012

The story of Alex, a reticent, genius robot programmer, and his enchanting robotic cat: who return to his home town, at the request of the director of a university of robotics.

There he must find a suitable human template in order to bring a lifelike personality to a newly designed line of robot boys.

His preferred candidate turns out to be his niece: daughter of his former lover, Lana, and her husband: his estranged brother.

Alex delights in the company of his niece, further complicating his relationship with his sister in law: with whom he is still, very much, in love.

An elegantly told, love story, spiced with mechanical cats and the cutest girl in a red coat since... "don't look now"

Too beautiful for Sci-Fi

Author: joaotwin from Portugal
1 March 2012

I've marked this review as containing spoilers because I'm afraid it might dis-guide you (and it will) or think differently about the way you approach this movie... and nobody deserves that! At least in not in this movie...

But for a summary tag line, my only argument about this movie would be: "This is the first time I'm writing a review..."

Should be enough, but still, this movie deserves more much more than just a pure emotional line from a very simple and common IMDb user...

It's a beautifully told story about the old cliché "Robots vs Humans" (that one starts to think it's going to be) and the differences (or not) between them...

It was the first time I was lead to believe that robots shouldn't be treated differently... and *****MAJOR SPOILER***** the movies final (awkward) seconds just try to prove it! (I must talk about the ending because most of my mates thought it was a bit too much... and it wasn't, it's there for this very reason!)

I can only believe IMDBs poor user rating is due to the fact that Sci-Fi doesn't appeal the mass public...

But its 12 wins & 28 nominations speak for themselves... and many more are to come...

Beautiful story, pleasing to the eye

Author: (LBSRmcr) from United Kingdom
23 August 2012

This movie is a European take on artificial intelligence- less action, more interaction.

I found the special effects in this film beautiful and mesmerizing, just enough to engage the imagination in terms of what a robot could and should be and do...

There are two plots- one is that a software engineer is trying to design the perfect robot for entertainment that is free (can do what it wants) and is looking for inspiration in a girl he meets called Eva, the other is that this software engineer is coming back to an awkward situation involving his brother and an ex-girlfriend of his, whom he worked with. Despite other reviews I found it quite well done how both plots intertwined.

As an audio professional I found some sound parts of the film difficult to stomach, especially the party scene where slow-dancing and speaking at the same time-here rough cuts are clearly audible and it's enough to take away from the great use of David Bowie's music in this scene, a real shame.

Beyond that thought I was very impressed with Brühl, that quatri-lingual dreamboat, whom I have until now only seen on German films. It's rare to find somebody who can master and work in fluency. He's definitely found a new fan in me.

A quality sci-fi film

Author: Ian Hinton from Madrid, Spain
12 August 2012

I haven't seen any decent sci-films for years. This one came as a very pleasant surprise. Interesting story, good script, well directed and excellent actors. I also enjoyed the photography.

As the story unfolded, I was surprised that I was not correctly predicting the outcome. This made it even more enjoyable. I hate it when I can continuously see what's coming - so boring.

I was also intrigued that a sci-fi film had been made in Spain. Not the sort of genre I would have expected.

As a long-term British resident in Spain, I always find it a source of pleasure when, once again, a quality film is made in this country. Too many Spaniards do not value the excellent level that the local film industry can reach over here.

Overall, a thoroughly well made and enjoyable film for any sci-fi fan, and even for any others who will easily understand the story.

Cerebral , ambitious , and revealing Sci-Fi ; being stunningly directed and magnificently performed

Author: ma-cortes
25 November 2012

Set in 2041, Alex Garel (Daniel Bruhl) is a famous scientific who after 10 years goes to back to his home town to work in his old university . There the shy genius is employed by his former university professor (Anne Canovas) to design robot soft ware . Later on , Alex meets his brother David (Alberto Ammann) , his wife Lana (Marta Etura) and Eva (Claudia Vega) , Alex's 10-years-old niece . Meantime , Alex is assisted by a servant-robot (Luis Homar as the sympathetic android Max) . Looking for inspiration , Alex asks help Eva to be the example the new robot , and to survey her behavior during the time they spend together . The cutest girl Eva fascinates him and he soon begins research so that a robot can take on her personality , making emotional tests and watching attitude to configure its existence .

This Sci-Fi film contains fantasy , drama , a tragic love story , thought-provoking issues and is pretty interesting . This is an exciting film though relies heavily on the programmer-Eva , Brother-Brother Relationship and the loving triangle is regularly developed . A movie about childhood , robots , love , it has more than its share of beauty , mysteries and wonders . This good picture takes parts here and there from ¨A.I.¨ by Steven Spielberg , ¨Metropolis¨ by Fritz Land and ¨I Robot¨ written by Isaac Asimov . Good performances from Daniel Bruhl as a well-known robot programmer , his friend played by Anne Canovas who brings him a project to create a new line of robot child and special mention to the girl Clara Lago as the muse of the new robot . Furthermore Alex's former lover and David's current wife well played by Marta Etura along with her husband finely performed by Albert Ammann . In addition , the veteran Luis Homar as likable android Max . Mesmerizing , miraculous and state-of-art special effects , spiced with mechanical cats , horse-robots and other marvelous artifacts . Glamorous and luxurious Cinematography by Arnau Valls Colomer , being filmed on location in Panticosa, Huesca, Aragón, Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain , La Chaux-de-Fonds, Canton Neuchâtel, Switzerland and final scene in Tenerife, Canary Islands . Emotive and sensitive Original Music by Evgueni Galperine and co-composer Sacha Galperine . The motion picture was elegantly directed by Kike Maillo at his best and being hist first film , formerly making various shorts .

The 26th Annual Goya Awards (Premios Goyas), presented by the Spanish Academy of Cinematographic Arts and Sciences, it is "Spain's main national film awards, considered by many in Spain, and internationally, to be the Spanish equivalent of the American Academy Awards¨ gave a deserved Goya to New Director , Kike Maillo , for this above average film titled ¨Eva¨ . Rating : Good , worthwhile watching .

Familiar story elements combined in a slightly different way

Author: G Reagan (savitch99@gmail.com) from United States
6 July 2012

Watching this reminds me of the Isaac Asimov robot stories because it feels like the world his stories were set in. There's even an allusion to the Asimov laws of robotics by stating that robots have to pass a safety test and the cat is illegal because it has free will. The effects are well done and the interactions look believable. The animation physics are slightly wrong in a couple scenes but nothing major.

My main problem with the movie is that there isn't enough character development which makes the motives a little ambiguous. The main plot lines are tied up by the end but there's obviously more going on than is ever told. I get just enough to want to know more and that is frustrating.

The sci-fi is light enough that I would probably recommend this to anyone even if they would normally skip anything sci-fi.

Eva (2011)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
8 September 2012

Gorgeous Spanish fairytale set in a realistic not too distant future. Eva sees a robot programmer return to his hometown so he can help program a robot child. First he needs to find inspiration from children in the area.After finding the majority to be boring he comes across a young girl named Eva who just happens to be the daughter of his ex-love. Eva fascinates him and he soon begins research so that a robot can take on her personality, but will her characteristics translate well into the robot world? Eva is a film that remains quiet. It knows its ideas and themes are fascinating and so it underplays them and lets your imagination run away with your own ideas. This is expressed best of all when we are first introduced to the world. There is no huge fanfare or showing off. The robots merely exist in the world with the humans. We first get a glimpse of this when Daniel Bruhl returns home and is followed by a robotic cat. The emotions that are present throughout are truly moving as it asks, in typical robot/man fashion, what it is to be human and can science go too far? Bruhl is a wonderful lead, who clearly gets across his fascination with robots, but also his frustration with them. He really does fail to make the most of his gift, but maybe that is for the best. The cinematography is gorgeous, with Eva's red coat constantly standing out from the snow swept landscapes. An enjoyable and thought provoking drama.

Warm and sad story... (Spoilers!)

Author: Zdravko Jandric from Croatia
18 October 2013

Well, at the same time- this movie disappointed me, as well as he surprise me... Warm and sad story, but predictable from the early beginning. And here they are, the obvious facts: - Eve is a robot - Probe robot will attack Alex - Alex will show his (love) emotions to his ex-girlfriend, Lana - Brothers will fight and more... Sometimes, reminds me on the "A.I." and "I, Robot", but it's clearly visible that this is European (good) production. The 1th half is good- but the second is a little messy, slow and somehow, too quickly turned to the end.

However, this is good movie- but...

very moving

Author: yakir_g-221-842638 from ein hod, israel
12 October 2013

i loved this movie! so clever and understated. i think American directors should see it and learn that special effects can be used without being noticed. I must admit that the plot in some parts was confusing

although i have been reading science fiction for many years i had difficulty to understand some of the logic. i can't say more without making a spoiler

it is not clear to me how the rating system on IMDb works all (exept one) reviewers loved the film ,still it got only 6.5 rating. this is not the first time i have enjoyed a movie that got 6.0 rating and it undermines my dependence on IMDb rating as apparently the rating is not to be trusted