IMDb > Waiting for Forever (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

GREAT Love Story...

Author: missj-black07 from United States
22 April 2010

I have to say that it came as a shock that Waiting For Forever was an ACTUAL, REAL LIFE, love story. The movie itself kept me hanging on to the tail end of every scene, waiting to see what would happen next. All in one sitting, I smiled with heartfelt happiness, I became filled with anger, and I cried uncontrollably with feeling of deep sorrow. This is what TRUE LOVE does to us as people, and I must say that this movie captured the very essence of it...

If I could, I would take a group of my closest friends to see this movie. It's definitely a great conversation piece. The vivid imagination of the director is clearly represented throughout, capturing not only your attention, but focus on detail as well. I would see this movie ten times again...

MUST SEE - GREAT LOVE STORY!

Really enjoyed it!

Author: CPF101 from United States
21 April 2010

Now let me start off by saying that I am not into romantic movies whatsoever. They are always the same clichéd sappy crap with an overly dramatic lead that becomes more annoying than anything by the end of them. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE WITH "WAITING FOR FOREVER"

I was lucky enough to attend Gen Art film festival this year in New York and was able to see this movie. I honestly had no idea what I was getting into or what it was about and it really surprised me! I honestly can say that at no point in the movie was I ever bored; from the get going of the flashback train sequences until the ending scenes I was enthralled with the movie. I was right there with Will and his struggles to show his enduring love to Emma.

The acting was fresh and superb. Tom Sturridge had so much on screen charisma and a believable carefree attitude that I found myself rooting for him the entire time. It is nice when you ACTUALLY like to watch the protagonist of a film! He is surrounded by an incredible supporting cast where I really think that Blythe Danner gives the performance of a lifetime (I smell Oscar nod). The always lovable Richard Jenkins has the best moments in the movie and a surprisingly strong performance by Scott Mechlowicz. At first glance I was like "why is the kid from EuroTrip in this" and after the movie I felt like a putz for ever thinking that statement. He is the voice of everyone in the audience in the movie.

This is also a movie that doesn't have cheap entertainment of constant swearing, blood and guts, gratuitous nudity, etc. It solely focuses on telling the story and making us like the characters for themselves. I think that is a rare statement made by films today and this one should be applauded for it.

Overall, feel good movie.

Author: oswalt_taylor from United States
19 February 2010

I recently saw the first public screening of this movie at the Santa Barbara Film Festival in February, 2010.

The beginning of the movie was a bit slow and a little misleading, but I think that is what made the movie so great at the end. It is totally unpredictable. Tom Sturridge was the main character and he is absolutely going to be a new up and coming star after the film is released. Rachel Bilson did a wonderful job as well and the rest of the cast was quite good. It definitely was a tear jerker, you will find yourself blubbering by the end of the film. Overall, feel good movie that will leave you wondering about the little things in life.

Go see it. :)

It has got a Soul...!

Author: ditej_garg from India
23 April 2011

It is very unfortunate to know that this movie is hated by critics. I have been living in India and I know what kind of a movie should be called a bad movie. I never heard much about the movie because there is no promotion of this movie what so ever in my part of the world....But it surely came to me as a surprise.

Both the actors worked pretty well. Tom Sturridge has a potential to be a very good actor. He played his role very well and his expressions were outstanding. There was no point in the movie where i could find his skills go blunt.

Rachel Bilson--We always knew a bit of her after she appeared in How I met your Mother for a couple of episodes and she seemed pretty and cute. She carried her pretty smile and nice acting in this movie too. At some places, her acting suffered but I won't blame her for that as her co-actor was wonderful. She played her part brilliantly and 95 minutes passed away.

The only reason I didn't give a 10 to this movie is that it didn't show too much of the couple. They had their share of scenes separately but they should have been together in more scenes as their chemistry was blossoming.

On and all...its a 9/10 for sure and it is a mice cute love story with meaningful dialogues.

A film with mass appeal that's original and quirky? Yes. Here it is.

Author: larry-411 from United States
29 April 2010

This quirky and original story features a brilliantly talented multi-generational cast including Tom Sturridge, Rachel Bilson, Blythe Danner, Richard Jenkins, Scott Mechlowicz, Nikki Blonsky, Jaime King, and Matthew Davis. Known primarily for his exhaustive acting credits, director/producer James Keach steps behind the lens in this stunning tour-de-force.

Will Donner and Emma Twist are neighbors and best friends. Separated at the age of 10, Emma (Rachel Bilson) grows into a beautiful, bright young woman while Will (Tom Sturridge) never quite advances emotionally. Now a young adult, he remains a sweet, innocent boy trapped in a man's body. Will needs to reconnect with Emma and continue the "relationship" that was never allowed to bloom into their teenage years. She increasingly becomes the object of his desire as he matures. Stuck in childhood, Will is determined to track her down and profess the love that he's held inside for so many years.

"Waiting for Forever" is a true work of cinematic art, a rarity even in the creative world of independent film.

Great little film this, was really surprised!

Author: coecoe from England
28 April 2011

Great little film this, was really surprised. judging by the quality and negativity of some reviews I think you need to have reached a certain maturity level to really appreciate the film.

The branding of Tom Sturridge's character(will Donner) being a creepy stalker really is misleading, I urge people to watch the film instead of jumping on the bandwagon! The pace of the film started a little too slow, potentially causing some later scenes to be rushed that had potential to really add to the film.

Despite this, the supporting cast had enough character building(all be it light) to support the lead of the film that ultimately, has enough to deliver the story and bring a tear anyone's eye! Providing your not going into the film having predetermined the lead as a creepy stalker, you will enjoy this film! :)

Surprising breath of fresh air...

Author: HannahR11 from London, England
20 April 2010

Waiting For Forever is a surprising breath of fresh air from the usual Hollywood romance. Set in a small town outside of Los Angeles, Emma Twist (Rachel Bilson), a jaded television actress, is returning to her hometown to visit her dying father. Upset about her rocky relationship with an angry boyfriend and embarrassed by the terrible TV show that she stars in, she is stressed out and disappointed by life. Enter Will Donner (Tom Sturridge), the eternal optimist who lives his life as a pajama-sporting traveling magician with a one-track mind: to follow Emma, his childhood best friend, around the country, staying just out of reach of her awareness. Having lost his parents to a train accident as a ten-year-old, he was whisked away from Emma's town never to interact with her again, but not before she told him the words that would remain with him forever: "they will always be there with you."

This movie may sound cheezy, but the surprising part is it's really not. Rachel Bilson plays the role of Emma elegantly: she is remarkably genuine and likable, and we are hoping to see her life turn around. Emma's parents, Miranda and Richard Twist, are played by the talented Blythe Danner and Richard Jenkins, who play off each other perfectly in a complex, realistic marriage preparing for the death of Richard. Miranda's optimistic outlook clashes with Richard's realism, who becomes edgy and impatient around his sugar-coated wife. We notice immediately as Emma steps in the door the need to tell her mother everything is okay as the world is crumbling around her. Her mother is too fragile to hear anything but good news. Her father, on the other hand, although dying, is the toughest character in the movie, ready for anything. In one of the most moving scenes of the movie, Miranda and Richard get into a terrible fight while Richard is in the bathtub. Richard is biting, sarcastic, and mean, and for the first time, we see Miranda shed her gentleness and become engulfed in rage, shouting and crying. He then tells her, "you have to be strong when I'm gone."

In a question and answer session with the director, he mentioned the theme of realism vs. optimism throughout the movie. Emma is worn out and battered by life, reminiscing fondly back to childhood, when things seemed so easy. She is almost always dressed in dark colors and blues. Will, on the other hand, is childlike and innocent, truly believing that the world is a happy place full of fun; his is. He is often dressed in lighter colors and golds. His joyful attitude angers his older brother, who sees him as a joke and a loser, a child who needs to grow up. This dynamic is also played out masterfully between Emma's parents. Emma's mother can't go on living with a permanent smile on her face as her husband gets closer and closer to death. Pain and hurt are a part of life, and although they can't be denied, we can learn to accept what comes gracefully.

By the time we reach the scene in which Will is going to talk to Emma for the first time since they were ten, admitting his lifetime love for her, we want to see him get the reaction that he wants. However, the true darkness of the world is never far away, and Will finds himself blamed for murder, among other things, as he realizes the world is not always a playground. -Nicole Muhlethaler

This was a surprise of a movie...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
29 May 2011

"Waiting for Forever" is actually a good movie, just don't expect it to be yet another teenage romantic love comedy movie, because it is far from it.

This movie is quite deep on an emotional level, and the movie really works out so well because of the talent of Tom Sturridge (playing Will Donner). This is actually high-class drama.

I found "Waiting for Forever" to be rather surprising, because it appeals to your more humanly nature and your sense of hope. The story reaches in and touches your heart. If not the story of Will, then the story of Emma's parents. But of course, there are many aspects to this movie aside from Will's obsession with Emma. There is also the childhood trauma, the strained brother relationship, not fitting into the world, and so forth. And all these small plots work well and come together for a greater end result.

The cast in "Waiting for Forever" was quite nice. There is no doubt that the entire movie is riding on the shoulders of Tom Sturridge. He does an amazing job in portraying Will. His acting is emotional and sweeps you up for a ride. This guy has a bright future in movies, in my opinion. Richard Jenkins made a nice appearance as Emma's father, Richard Twist, who is bedridden and ill. Rachel Bilson also did a good job with the role of Emma Twist.

All in all, then "Waiting for Forever" is a fantastic movie that is full of emotion, rich in love and a movie that will stick with you for a long, long time. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, and if you haven't seen this movie yet, get yourself in gear and watch it. You owe it to yourself, because this drama is fantastic.

Pretty Compelling Above Average Romantic Movie.

Author: supadude2004 from Bangkok, Thailand
24 April 2011

Oddball Juggler lusts after (FHM's 77th hottest) gal next door (...or close enough), with whom he shared a childhood. Alas, this movie takes off where childhood is no more - so what will become of our pair, for whom time has moved on? In some ways this is an enjoyable, flirty little number; in others, it is the tale of unrequited 'what if's'. Yet, when all's said and done, this movie is not perfect. It's still a reasonably engaging, very human tale. Acting and direction are pretty good.

The protagonist is (just as the poster shows) an unlikely, pyjama loving, bowler hatted someone who can barely afford to live. Such is American cinema that if he should choose to escape his plight, in the usual manner, he'd routinely be found bereft of life, a few scenes later. Instead, he overdoses on dreams of his childhood sweetheart, thus to escape the uncertain pains which life besets upon a man of his standing. Yet we must be prepared to accept that a certain Miss foxy 'hot-thang' would possibly give him more than the time of day/evensong/etc. Or, will she? Indeed, I found it hard to stomach the movie's very premise: that here we have arguably one of the hottest women in America who might even talk with a man whose preoccupation is profitlessly offbeat, to say the least. In his defence, as the marketing blurb will tell you, they shared a childhood. But will that be enough? Again, this is primarily a romance movie, and why should any realities have any potential to ruin the possibilities? Or, do they? Watch and see: I give nothing away.

If you're between 16 & 24, female, or in a relationship, or just romantically inclined, then this movie is for you.

Its rating, currently 6.8/10, is surprisingly on the ball. Most people here have got this one right. And as such it is a movie worth watching. You might even consider it as being like a less garrulous, 'home baked' alternative to Linklater's superior 'Before Sunrise'.

Lastly, I hope that they make a sequel to this movie, by the way, as this reviewer personally felt that its ending left some curious questions open. Will you agree... Please watch and see!

Waiting for Forever is wonderful!

Author: klafonta from United States
22 April 2010

I got a chance to see Waiting for Forever at the Nashville Film Festival last weekend and it was amazing! A truly original love story that was both heartwarming and heartbreaking. The whole cast are charming in their roles and everyone picked seemed perfect for their parts. Tom Sturridge and Rachel Bilson had wonderful chemistry as the two lead characters and Sturridge's performance as the eccentric and lovable Will Donner would make any girl alright with being followed around the country :)Richard Jenkins and Blythe Danner are hilarious as Emma's (Bilson's) parents, along with many other wonderful supporting characters. Great soundtrack as well! One of my favorites at the festival this year; I highly recommend this film! Go see it!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]