IMDb > Glimpses of Morocco and Algiers (1951) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

I'd love to see another short about these areas today

Author: skiddoo from United States
11 September 2011

As with the prewar shows of this series, there is a part that hopes for peace and understanding among peoples. And once again what the people will get, and soon, is war.

As always, this is remarkable history and should be returned to its former pristine state. All these shorts give us insight into their radically changing world. In this particular short we not only see a world that will face bloody upheaval from 1954 to 1962 with the end of the colonial era but also technological upheaval as represented by horse drawn vehicles, bicycles, and a few cars. Under the French rule, Muslims lacked the rights of other people, especially after the revolt of 1871. They could only apply for French citizenship if they abandoned their religion and, one supposes, their way of life. This short hints at their pain.

TravelTalks

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
2 May 2009

Glimpses of Morocco and Algiers (1951)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

James A. FitzPatrick's TravelTalks series continues with this nice entry that visits Morocco and Algiers. It also visits Casablanca and a few other cities so I'm not sure why the title wasn't longer or a tad bit broader. This is another interesting entry in the series as we get to look at the three cities I already mentioned as well as other sites like the LaMona Hotel in Antwerpen. FitzPatrick, through his narration, also talks about how poor some of these cities are and it really struck me, after seeing dozens of these shorts, at how open, honest and respect he is. Not once do I recall FitzPatrick making fun of the people who live in these cities instead he just tells stories and tries to give viewers some nice information no matter the religion or political views a said city or country has. There's one scene in the movie where I believe it's FitzPatrick who talks a man into talking to him as it's clear the man has never seen a movie camera before. Another interesting aspect, especially in today's times, is all the talk about pirates and how the U.S. government use to pay them to leave us alone.