IMDb > The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn More at IMDbPro »

The right Demographic will love this move, as i did .

Author: tojoehenry from United States
25 June 2014

So.... the demographic for this movie is adult , probably over forty, has had to deal with ungrateful kids. works a grinding job they do not love, to support a family that has taken them for granted.

If you fit any of that , this movie will entertain the crap out of you.

I read the reviews , was not expecting much , i picked it because i am kinda angry most of the time... from said above.

I laughed at the opening scene. and the next scene. i identified with both of the lead characters.

overall, really, this movie is a roller coaster of emotion. If you get into it , it will make you laugh , and cry , it will make you hug your other and the rotten kids

I found it amazingly entertaining, even the end .

It is hard to write a review without spoilers , so all i really want to say is -- don't listen to the reviews on IMDb re; this movie. I don't know how this site attracts so many sour lemons, but thats the best way to describe these reviews. sour lemons.

At first mila was annoying but that was the character, and she warms up. by the end you will be loving her.

I don't know how anyone who watched this could call robins character boring, not that he needed to , but robin really carried this movie. from start to finish he fills the screen with unadulterated robin. in character form for the movie. he was great , and his brother , it was great acting .

Very enjoyable . very moving . very funny.

A good movie that is worth watching but it isn't one of Willams' best. Funny and I did enjoy it.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
15 June 2014

"If you knew how much time you had what would you do?" Henry Altmann (Williams) is a very angry man who hates everything. He has pushed his family away and isn't liked by anyone. Dr. Sharon Gill (Kunis) isn't having a good day. She is covering for someone and working with patients she doesn't know, and all that the day after her cat jumped out a window. When Henry comes in to see her he pushes her too far and she blurts out that he has 90 min to live. Henry leaves angry but quickly changes and tries to make everything right with his family before time runs out. Before I started this I was expecting something along the lines of Falling Down. While it was a little similar this one was different. Robin Williams did a good job in this but it isn't one of his better performances. He did however pull off the hard aspect of making a character that isn't nice to anyone but still had enough heart that you root for him. There is some very funny stuff in this but it doesn't make too much light of the serious situation. Overall, a good movie that is worth watching but it isn't one of Willams' best. I give it a B.

So bad, and not even in a good way. Just really bad.

Author: jk-692-236394 from United States
28 May 2014

Stupendously bad. I have never seen so much talent in such a dreadful movie. One reviewer said it was like a video, badly shot with hung over actors at a rehearsal going wrong! I could not believe my eyes as talented actor after actor showed up in scenes and they were all so bad. It makes me truly think that directors, writers, and producers are the real stars in movies. This movie so so badly done on so many levels. who to blame? That is what I was thinking. Sometimes bad movies are fun to watch to see how bad they are, but this one was just cringe-worthy. There was not one moment where you were not very aware that you were watching a movie gone very wrong, and they all felt like they were "acting". The film looks cheap on all levels too. If you want to watch it just to see why it has so many bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, have a go. You want to have your FF handy though to buzz through it fast. I wonder if they all knew how bad it was while they were making it?

I thought it was pretty good

Author: jimstaudt-142-658515 from Naples Florida
5 August 2014

Robin Williams is great no matter whether he's acting the fool in a stand- up routine or whether he's playing a serious role. This one leans toward the serious side, although the movie has some really funny scenes. The one with James Earl Jones as the pawnbroker is borderline CLASSIC. Jones shows a comedic side I've never seen before -- actually had to rewind and replay that scene twice and laughed as hard every time.

Not Williams' or Kunis' best roles, but definitely not a time-waster. Williams can make even the plight of a man nearing death seem funny, and Kunis is easy on the eyes no matter what role she plays. Melissa Leo is always good, and this movie is no exception. And the guy who plays her sometime-lover, Bob Dishy, is probably the most "unknown famous actor" in the business. I KNEW I had seen him before, so I googled his name, and found that he goes all the way back to Barney Miller. Never knew his name before, but he sure is a familiar guy.

Against Exepctations, a fitting epitaph for a quality actor

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
20 August 2014

If ever there was a film destined for significant reappraisal due to real life events, this one is it. It stars Robin Williams as a dying man, given 90 minutes to live, running around acting like a crazy nut, trying, with varying degrees of success, to make amends for some of life's big mistakes.

In the wake of Williams' suicide, the film takes on a life and meaning that no one involved could have imagined. There is a pre attached melancholy to proceedings as we watch Williams, playing Henry Altmann, indulge in the type of profanity laden, over the top, angry insults that we will remember him for, all with the certain knowledge that Henry's actions, like William's performance, are amongst the last things this man will do.

This is more than likely the last time we will see Williams playing Williams in a film, and it is a fitting last hurrah. A performance laced with the humanity we are used to from Wiliams, but tempered by an evident weariness and more than a hint of regret, and ending on a note of melancholy.

The support cast are all capable, and the third person narrative works well. the script is not quite as clever as it thinks it is, but does combine minor plot strands reasonably coherently. The film could have been helped from more time being given to Kunis' back story. Instead, the audience is given enough information about her to follow what's happening, and that's it.

At the end of the film, Henry's loved ones are left, as we are, in a state of mourning, when all we can do is pay tribute, share memories, and remember with laughter a life that ended far sooner and more abruptly than we had time to process. A life that touched us in a way not evident until it was over. Angriest Man in Brooklyn, unwittingly captures what all of us were feeling on August 11 2014. And for that reason, if no other, needs to be watched.

Fairly Entertaining...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
28 July 2014

A remake of the 1997 Israeli film, The 92 Minutes of Mr. Baum, 'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn' is a fairly entertaining film, that doesn't eat your brains.

'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn' Synopsis: A curmudgeonly man is mistakenly told that he has 90 minutes to live by his doctor and promptly sets out to reconcile with his wife, brother and friends in the short time he believes he has left.

'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn' begins well & maintains a certain pace till the end. Its never spectacular, but its never too bad, either. Quite simply put -- Some of it works, some of it doesn't.

Daniel Taplitz's Screenplay balances between comedy & drama, ably. Phil Alden Robinson's Direction is passable. Cinematography is good. Editing is also crisp.

Performance-Wise: Robin Williams enacts 'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn', with effortless ease. The Oscar-Winning Actor doesn't miss a single beat. Mila Kunis is impressive. Peter Dinklage is superb, while Melissa Leo is her usual self. The Great James Earl Jones is hilarious in a cameo.

On the whole, 'The Angriest Man in Brooklyn' is a safe bet for a one-time viewing.

So so journey of redemption, with never quite enough of anything else.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
28 May 2014

Williams, and Kunis take us on a decent little trip through New York as we journey with Henry who has just learned he is dying, and there is little time. Because he is such a patient, and considerate fellow in dealing with his over worked, and over stimulated Dr played by Kunis, she snaps at him, and gives him the only number she can come up with, and Henry's 90 minute to settle his life, and wrap up all his loose ends is begun. Too bad there is just not a little something more to this movie, though the cast are excellent, and the production is very good, there is just a bit of polish missing from the final product. The entire movie has a feeling of the old Steve Martin lost in New York movies, more focus to the story might have helped this a lot, and the final scene is actually painful to watch as though it is the test shot that they discovered was all that remained when the film returned from processing. I know I go on, but so does this movie. Basically I Enjoyed this movie, and do recommend it for a weekend waster. You do not get anything really special here, and you will not be shedding a great deal of tears, they just don't quite get you there.

Robin Williams similarity with his character

Author: lsmall1 from United States
19 August 2014

It is very sad to watch this movie after Robin Williams' recent passing. I could not stop thinking that the actor played himself with a limited short time to live: it was an old depressed man, not a funny great comedian we used to see. The actor's character says that he was born in 1951 and died in 2014 and it is exactly Robin Williams' life span. Another (not quite coincidental) strange thing is remaining 90 minutes of the character's life turned into almost 90 days of remaining Robin's life from the date of the film's release in May.

The movie is not perfect but it teaches us not hesitate to show our love to the loved ones and not in the last minutes of our life but each and every day. I guess Robin Williams would stay with us if he was surrounded with the same love his character demonstrated in the movie.

A melancholy, yet perhaps appropriate end

Author: mkaliher3649 from Tucson
20 August 2014

It's hard to know what to make of this film. It's rather too New York, too argumentative, and too profane for my taste. It probably succeeds on some level, but only because Hollywood sets the bar so low. It's certainly not Robin Williams's best work, nor Dan Taplitz's. It has Taplitz's usual themes of family and faith -- yet falls far short of Chaos Theory, and certainly Commandments, an absolute gem of a film. Yet it has a strange appeal. I'll certainly keep it in my library.

I lived on Clement Street in San Francisco when Robin performed at some club there in the seventies. I Never did make it in to see him. In fact, I didn't even know he was there and couldn't have afforded such extravagances if I had known.

Anyway, given Robin's unfortunate exit, the film has an unintended impact, leaving one feeling both melancholy and yearning for his character. But, of course, the actors were all professionals, just reading there lines. Right? The good news -- as was typical of Mr. Williams -- is that he appeared to give an actor named Mila Kunis room to shine, and she shone brightly and quite carried the film. Perhaps somewhere Robin's sitting on a cloud, looking down and shouting, "Nice work, kid."

Nothing is worse than when 'angry' meets 'bad day'.

Author: Reno Rangan from Somewhere
31 August 2014

It was a remake of the Israeli movie 'Mar Baum'. Kind of incorrect to call it a comedy movie when it is a dark comedy. Enjoyments from both the genres are different. You know it was one of the last movies of the legendary actor Robin Williams. That was not the reason for me to like it. The story begins to build on a silly reason, but it was a partially unique concept. Opens like a regular comedy and then turn over to the actual meaning for the contents it deals. Like the cancer theme movies it gets emotional in the later parts. There's no twists, but convinces the effort they had tried to end it on a high note. Sadly, it kind of depicts the actual life incident of Robin Williams. It is a great loss, I grew up watching 'Jumanji' and 'Flubber' and definitely he's going to live forever through his movies.

Henry Altman is a man of impatient. He always angry at everyone for everything. It was no different one day when he decides to go see a doctor. He gets his turn after the long wait. As usual, he shows his anger at the lady doctor who just had a bad day. With a tension arise in an argument, a mistake will be made. So the adventure begins that takes us along all over the city which takes place in a 90 minutes. Like all the story, after realizing the what she had done was wrong, how it was brought into the sense for who affected by her mistake is the remaining.

''Anger is the only thing they left me. Anger is my refuge, it's my shield. Anger is my birthright!''

The trailer itself said everything about the movie. Going for the movie without the trailer watch would be a great move, at least you will get something to enjoy. The cast was good, I mean everyone, including who came in short roles. It mainly focused on Robin Williams and Mila Kunis roles. These two characters take an adventure throughout the Brooklyn before the story comes to the conclusion. The movie was a lot better than I thought and what others said about it. It is kind of tearjerker movie. With the loss of Robin Williams in the real life, I got a little emotional to the end part. But the story was a bit let down. In the middle when the second half starts to undertake it really slows down and nothing happens in an exciting way. Frankly to say, it was an hour movie, but stretched for extra few more minutes to make comfortable for the theatre release. So that caused it to fall to a moderate pace. It should have been a short movie, though, as a feature film it kind of satisfied me. Somehow, with the nice direction and performances and places it was shot, all combined together gives an overall decent movie watching experience.

7.5/10