IMDb > The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn More at IMDbPro »

The right Demographic will love this move, as i did .

Author: tojoehenry from United States
25 June 2014

So.... the demographic for this movie is adult , probably over forty, has had to deal with ungrateful kids. works a grinding job they do not love, to support a family that has taken them for granted.

If you fit any of that , this movie will entertain the crap out of you.

I read the reviews , was not expecting much , i picked it because i am kinda angry most of the time... from said above.

I laughed at the opening scene. and the next scene. i identified with both of the lead characters.

overall, really, this movie is a roller coaster of emotion. If you get into it , it will make you laugh , and cry , it will make you hug your other and the rotten kids

I found it amazingly entertaining, even the end .

It is hard to write a review without spoilers , so all i really want to say is -- don't listen to the reviews on IMDb re; this movie. I don't know how this site attracts so many sour lemons, but thats the best way to describe these reviews. sour lemons.

At first mila was annoying but that was the character, and she warms up. by the end you will be loving her.

I don't know how anyone who watched this could call robins character boring, not that he needed to , but robin really carried this movie. from start to finish he fills the screen with unadulterated robin. in character form for the movie. he was great , and his brother , it was great acting .

Very enjoyable . very moving . very funny.

So bad, and not even in a good way. Just really bad.

Author: jk-692-236394 from United States
28 May 2014

Stupendously bad. I have never seen so much talent in such a dreadful movie. One reviewer said it was like a video, badly shot with hung over actors at a rehearsal going wrong! I could not believe my eyes as talented actor after actor showed up in scenes and they were all so bad. It makes me truly think that directors, writers, and producers are the real stars in movies. This movie so so badly done on so many levels. who to blame? That is what I was thinking. Sometimes bad movies are fun to watch to see how bad they are, but this one was just cringe-worthy. There was not one moment where you were not very aware that you were watching a movie gone very wrong, and they all felt like they were "acting". The film looks cheap on all levels too. If you want to watch it just to see why it has so many bad reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, have a go. You want to have your FF handy though to buzz through it fast. I wonder if they all knew how bad it was while they were making it?

A good movie that is worth watching but it isn't one of Willams' best. Funny and I did enjoy it.

Author: Tony Heck from United States
15 June 2014

"If you knew how much time you had what would you do?" Henry Altmann (Williams) is a very angry man who hates everything. He has pushed his family away and isn't liked by anyone. Dr. Sharon Gill (Kunis) isn't having a good day. She is covering for someone and working with patients she doesn't know, and all that the day after her cat jumped out a window. When Henry comes in to see her he pushes her too far and she blurts out that he has 90 min to live. Henry leaves angry but quickly changes and tries to make everything right with his family before time runs out. Before I started this I was expecting something along the lines of Falling Down. While it was a little similar this one was different. Robin Williams did a good job in this but it isn't one of his better performances. He did however pull off the hard aspect of making a character that isn't nice to anyone but still had enough heart that you root for him. There is some very funny stuff in this but it doesn't make too much light of the serious situation. Overall, a good movie that is worth watching but it isn't one of Willams' best. I give it a B.

So so journey of redemption, with never quite enough of anything else.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
28 May 2014

Williams, and Kunis take us on a decent little trip through New York as we journey with Henry who has just learned he is dying, and there is little time. Because he is such a patient, and considerate fellow in dealing with his over worked, and over stimulated Dr played by Kunis, she snaps at him, and gives him the only number she can come up with, and Henry's 90 minute to settle his life, and wrap up all his loose ends is begun. Too bad there is just not a little something more to this movie, though the cast are excellent, and the production is very good, there is just a bit of polish missing from the final product. The entire movie has a feeling of the old Steve Martin lost in New York movies, more focus to the story might have helped this a lot, and the final scene is actually painful to watch as though it is the test shot that they discovered was all that remained when the film returned from processing. I know I go on, but so does this movie. Basically I Enjoyed this movie, and do recommend it for a weekend waster. You do not get anything really special here, and you will not be shedding a great deal of tears, they just don't quite get you there.

All-Star Cast is Completely Wasted Here

Author: Larry Silverstein from United States
23 July 2014

I'm afraid the bad reviews both on this site and from pro critics are on target here. An all-star cast including Robin Williams, Mila Kunis, Peter Dinklage, Melissa Leo, and Hamish Linklater are completely wasted here, in my opinion. There are much smaller roles for such notables as James Earl Jones, Richard Kind, Jerry Adler, and Isiah Whitlock Jr., among others.

For me, the main problem with the movie is in the screenplay, which I found to be unfortunately just an abomination, as it's filled with one line after another being extremely distasteful and mean-spirited.

The plot centers around real estate attorney Henry Altmann, portrayed by Williams, who after being told by a doctor he has an inoperable brain aneurysm, and has only 90 minutes to live, sets off to try and reconcile the estrangements he has caused with his rageful behavior among family and friends. Henry apparently has been extremely angry "at the world" since one of his sons died in a hunting accident some 2 years before.

The doctor that told Henry this terribly grim diagnosis is Dr. Sharon Gill, played by Kunis, who herself has been under enormous personal stress, has recently lost her cat, and is apparently addicted to prescription pain pills. So when she's verbally attacked in the examination room by Henry, she vindictively makes up a ridiculous amount of time that he has to live.

After Henry storms out, Dr. Gill realizes what a horrendous mistake she's made and tries to find him, on the streets of Brooklyn, and get him to a hospital. If all of this sounds rather ridiculous, it is.

The overall message here is positive about family and how we need to enjoy whatever time we have on this planet, and there are a few moments of poignancy towards the end of the film. However, it's way too little too late and the road to get there is indeed a painful one to the viewer, in my opinion.

A real disappointment from director Phil Alden Robinson who's brought to the screen a number of fine films. The script here is from Daniel Taplitz.

Such a waste of my time

Author: denizmoraligil from Izmir / Turkey
11 July 2014

I haven't seen such a weak film for a long time. This film falls apart in many levels. Characterizations are flat and none of the plot lines are believable, acting is.. is there any acting? That supposedly Uzbek taxi driver. What was that? Wrong accent, wrong everything. Even the screenwriter had no idea which parts of the movie they wanted to use him. When Robin Williams' character leaves the hospital he takes a cab. And who is the driver? No one in the whole film crew had no idea. Made no sense at all. The only convincing acting comes from Mila Kunis, and she plays the depressed doctor.

This plot is only worth for a trailer not for a feature movie. Just watch the trailer and what you're going to see will be the best moments of this film. The rest is not worth wasting your time.

If you enjoy Robin Williams showing that not only is he past his prime, but desperately trying to relive his glory days, watch this.

Author: Amari-Sali from http://www.amari-sali.blogspot.com/
13 June 2014

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Robin Williams over the years which made him so difficult to watch. Have directors just stopped trying to do their jobs and decided to just let him run amok? Does Williams more so care about getting steady work and a paycheck? Or is it his agent hopes that, like Christopher Walken, Williams will find himself either the silver lining in rather odd, and arguably bad movies, or maybe even luck himself into indie classics? Either way, I don't know what happened but I'm starting to think he should give up starring in any sort of production and just remain a supporting player.

Characters & Story

The Altman family had gone through a great tragedy two years ago. Henry (Robin Williams) and Bette (Melissa Leo) lost their son Peter. His death leads to Henry hoping his remaining son Tommy (Hamish Linklater) would fill his brother shoes and become a lawyer. But, alas, dancing is Tommy's dream. So with a dead son, and no possibility of filling the space he left, Henry becomes a bitter man who alienates himself from his wife and the one son he has left.

Leading to the day we meet him which arguably is one of his most terrible days. Not only does he end up in a car accident, but the doctor who sees him, Dr. Sharon Gill (Mila Kunis), informs him that not only has he suffered a brain aneurysm, but that he hasn't much time left to live. Forcing Henry to try to reconcile with everyone as soon as possible before their last memory of him is the man he became and not the man they came to love.

Praise

In the film there are a few moments in which between Williams, Kunis as well as Peter Dinklage as Henry's brother Aaron, you get a handful of laughs. Not many, but a handful. Outside of that, there isn't much to praise.

Criticism

One of the big issues of the film, as with most Robin Williams starring productions, is that no one seems willing to reel Williams in so it doesn't seem like he is a man with dementia. Which is terribly sad because you can tell as he yells and tries to tell jokes like he used to, he is just trying to be the entertainer he once was, but now something is off. When he yells and screams it isn't comical, but more so like an old man begging to be relevant and stay loved. Then, when it comes to the rest of the cast, while Dinklage does well in his role, everyone else isn't that funny.

Also, the film has this weird tone to it. For the most part it tries to portray itself as a comedy, but then it makes these erratic shifts, when trying to be serious, and seems to want to come off as a drama. And unlike contemporary comedy films which try to balance funny characters with dramatic situations or transitions in their life, The Angriest Man in Brooklyn fails to use any of the talent in the film to really make this movie compelling in any sense of the word.

Overall: Skip It

I don't know if Williams is hard up for money and that is why he acts so desperate and crazy during his productions, or if truly there isn't a script and director which can really hone his talents. Either way, him being a star in a production is increasingly becoming a red flag to me since he truly does seem like a shell of his former self. Hence why this is being labelled "Skip It." Between Williams acting erratic and without anyone trying to hone his talent, as well as a lackluster script and performance from the cast, I don't see the point in wasting your money, much less time, on this film.

How desperate was Robin Williams to take on such a crappy film?

Author: tiquet2003 from California
8 July 2014

Robin Williams must have signed on this role while 99% intoxicated or else he would've have read the script before taking on the role. Right off the bat in the opening scene where his character had a bumper-to-bumper run in with a cab driver, the audience could tell that Williams made no effort to act. Did Williams realize how badly his character was written that he showed up to the set and just winged it? Also, what was Mila Kunis thinking when she was handed this script? If there was a negative 1 rating, this movie suffice. This is absolutely and utterly awful from the very beginning. Why would the people in Hollywood make such a movie? These Hollywood executives must have money they don't know how to spend. Whoever directed this movie shouldn't be given another shot to direct. I honestly mean it. It is bad all around. Terrible acting, dreadful dialogs, atrocious plot, just how, how can such a movie get made? What were the producers thinking when they got this script?

The Blandest Man in Brooklyn

Author: WSmith95 from United Kingdom
5 June 2014

Usually when I rate movies I consciously review in 3 ways: 1.The plot, writing and acting choices and performances. 2.The movies technical abilities. 3.And how much the movie gratified me.

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn is an Americanized remake of '92 Minutes of Mr. Baum', a movie I have not seen nor intend to see based entirely of my experiences with this movie.

The movies plot is very basic and ridiculous and used solely to retell already hashed out meanings; the preciousness of life and be nice to people. It's nothing you haven't watched before and I feel as if the movie has bested me in some way by luring me in with these big names who really add nothing to anything. 10 minutes in to the movie and I still could not figure out whether this was supposed to be a comedy, and drama, a whatever. It just was not clear. It's still not clear. It's classed officially as a Comedy / Drama, and okay, I can see the plot elements that make it a drama, just by the fact that Henry Altmann (Played by Robin Williams) has A LOT of issues.

Robin Williams is an actor I guess was more popular when I was younger. (I'm 18 so by that I mean when I was 8 or 9) I loved the movies of the 90's, Forrest Gump being one of my all time favourites, and Robin Williams was a great actor for me around this time; Mrs Doubtfire, Jack, Flubber and Bicentennial Man all movies from the 90's that made me love Robin. Recently, I don't know where he's been so when I saw this I thought, "Hey, it's Robin, this could be good." Robin was not brilliant, and he was not awful either, but I think that was just a case of a bad script and having to play a one-dimensional character who turns into another one-dimensional character part way through the movie due to apparent 'character development', as well as having to work with Mila Kunis throughout most of the movie.

Mila, I'm sorry, for me, is not a memorable actress. Someone had to remind me the other day that she actually was in 'Ted'. She plays an absolutely idiotic character(with an even more idiotic cat) who like Henry has an abundance of issues, which also change her for the better. Greeeat. She is bland, whiny and boring. Not really more to it.

Peter Dinklage is a treasure. Not so much in this movie, which I can't figure out why he chose to do. He's a loving brother who really does not need to be in this story. In his 10 minutes of screen time, he and his business partners are still the most funny. I am just thankful that his incredible performance as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones will make people forget his time in this movie. They also cast Darth Vader as a socially impaired salesman and that big guy that is always annoying as a big guy that is always annoying.

To sum this movie up technically, I would have to say basic. From its establishing shot to its closing, the cinematography, shots, lighting, mise-en-scene, was basic. At best, there are a bunch of slow, zooming shots accompanied by a piano which remind Henry and the audience of mortality. The music by the way, I didn't even notice after it was all 'normal-day' and bouncy in the beginning.

Watching it though, it was a nice escape for 90 minutes, as it was not intelligent enough to make me think. And I kept checking Twitter,

1. 5/10 2. 4/10 3. 6/10

It's good, but I'd rather see some other people for the characters

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
29 May 2014

The movie tells us about Henry, an always angry man, who goes to see his doctor. At the hospital, the standing-in doctor Sharon, still depressed about her own life, tries to tell Henry about the brain aneurysm verdict on him. But Henry provoked her angrily so she exaggerated about the time he's got left, saying he's only 90 minutes left. Henry then storms out of the hospital and Sharon, in anger, lets him waltz away without treatment.

On the way, Henry realizes to make use of his remaining time well by seeing his brother, wife, old friends, and tries to rekindle his sunk relationship with his remaining son. But He does them without stating his condition and that creates complications. Sharon consults a colleague and she determines to seek for Henry and get him treatment. She meets him up on Brooklyn Bridge but fails to reason with him not to jump. He survives the plunge and she agrees to take him to see his son. At the end Henry survived his day and spend his last eight days with happiness.

Personally the base story premise is good being that it's simple enough, leaving much room to develop upon. And the screenplay and dialog is developed well enough to show the complications of what a dying man spending his time wisely would do.

But Unfortunately there's less clear partitioning between the drama moments and the comedic moments. The transitions feels awkward, one moment you're being shown a dramatic sort of sad moment, but the next minute you're being induced to laugh. The mood difference between scenes are drastic. These transitions only work when either one of the dramatic or comedic mood is weaker than the other. For example it's kind of awkward to change between the camera shop comedic moment to the recording scene.

The acting is quite good, considering the cast are no new faces. Peter Dinklage plays well here, although only getting a not so emphasized character. Mila Kunis acted out her depressed-but-still-fighting- character well also.But I personally think that Emma Stone would be better for this role. Also, I think the time for Robin Williams is past. He acted well, but I rather see Jack Nicholson in the character Henry.

The low distinction between comedy and drama is quite bad in this movie, although overall the movie is quite entertaining. The funny moments are for me being progressive, having them being more funny as the movie goes to the end. And finally, the final comedic moment at the final epilogue is the funny for me.

My verdict is the movie gets a 5 out of 10 score. It's quite entertaining and a recommendation is a yes from me, although I personally suggest that this doesn't be your top priority for watching.