In 5th Century Britian, a young Merlin struggles for his place in his known land under the tutelage of The Mage, a local wizard whom sees the young man's potential for magic, as well as ... See full summary »
FantasticFest is the largest genre film festival in the U.S., specializing in horror, fantasy, sci-fi, and action movies from all around the world. Here's a list of some of our favorite movies at FantasticFest.
A family moves in to look after the Winchester mansion for a few months, and soon find themselves terrorized by vengeful spirits. With the help of a paranormal investigator they'll unravel the mystery of the house.
The Dragon Prince is the wild story of a celebrated dragon-slayer. One day, he is magically cursed to become a dragon himself. It is only then when he learns what it's like to be feared, ... See full summary »
Forces of good and evil battle through the ages for ownership of the sword with mighty powers. The Lady of the Lake must protect the world no matter the cost. The final showdown takes place... See full summary »
Orphaned as a baby when his parents were killed in a vicious orc attack, Kendrick of Elwood was raised by his elder brother, Darius. Though only nine at the time, Darius devoted his life to... See full summary »
This fantasy movie tells the story of a far away land, where a ruthless and tyrannical king rules over the citizens with an iron fist. But there is a prophecy in ancient folklore that tells... See full summary »
In 5th Century Britian, a young Merlin struggles for his place in his known land under the tutelage of The Mage, a local wizard whom sees the young man's potential for magic, as well as face off against his evil former friend, Vendiger, whom plots with a feudal warlord king to conquer all of Britian using an army of flying dragons, and only Merlin with the alliance of the local Prince Uther and Ingraine and a pair of mystical goddesses, can have the power to stop the evil from taking over the land. Written by
* The CGI dragons are great - very mythical and more appropriate than a more Hollywood/Spielberg style would have been
* The location - totally fitting moody Welsh landscapes
* Some of the acting was good
* The music was a bit overblown but quite professional
* The acting direction was non-existent so despite the individual actors doing a reasonable job there was no sense of interaction or timing.
* The camera work was atrocious. Most of the film is shot in close up with occasional distant shots where you cant actually see whats going on. Ironically although most shots are static (i.e. no dolly or tracking)the degree of camera shake tells you its hand held.
* Editing was poor and uninspired. Some of the conversational sequences were obviously pieced together from shots taken at different times.
Even low budget films can be successful if well directed - this one unfortunately wasn't. There are so many bizarre mistakes - hand held cameras that don't actually move; gorgeous open Welsh landscapes that you cant see because the camera work is too tight, good enthusiastic actors that end up sounding like a school play through lack of direction.
7 of 8 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?