IMDb > The Last Song (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Song

The Last Song More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Personal opinion of The Last Song

Author: elaine-jade from United Kingdom
28 October 2012

A teenage summer romance, very clique. The storyline was typical and fairly straight forward. The actors performances were good although i had the feeling that Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth wanted to laugh on several occasions. The setting was well chosen for the story.I like the fact that there isn't as much talking and arguing as other romantic films and that most emotions are displayed through facial expressions and body language. However, i don't think the film needed to be as long as it was and i found the atmosphere quite boring. The slight twist scenario in this film was the only part that caught my attention.This film wasn't anything extraordinary.

Start rating this movie properly

Author: Leahrt from United States
5 September 2010

Usually you're really disappointed when you watch a movie, that's based on a book. I read the Last Song before I saw the movie, and when I heard that Miley Cyrus was going to play Ronnie Miller in the movie-production, I was officially mad.

Therefore I chose not to see the movie, directly I judged that the movie would suck! Basically! I read then the book again, on my way over to USA, and I remembered that there actually was a movie, so I decided that once I'd hit Blockbuster I would rent it.

So I and my friends rented it, and I'd told myself to have no expectations at all, since it was a Miley Cyrus movie aka. Hannah Montana.

But the movie completely surprised me. Miley Cyrus didn't shine in this movie, in fact nobody shined – but there was still something to it. It followed the book so well, like really well – and Miley Cyrus looked like Ronnie.

You can say a lot about the acting, you can say that Miley sometimes sounded a little too Hannah Montana-ish, but I think she broke pretty much out of that shell, or at least she tried.

I have to disagree with all the people who think it's flat? What exactly… - This is when I start thinking: I think a lot of people judged this movie by the fact that Miley Cyrus plays the lead role, if it had been Emma Roberts or Emily Browning, I think this movie would have gotten a totally different ratings. I cried, I laughed and I loved some parts of this movie. But it's not a Notebook ..

Miley Cyrus has got a long way to go.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
12 April 2010

Miley Cyrus is trying to prove she is more than just a good singer, but she can be a good actress as well, but her acting needs some work, not that it was all bad, but it just was'nt real in spots. Trying to get away from Hannah Montana is gonna be a long road.

Now Liam Hensworth is alright his role, not just being a typical pretty boy. Liam and Miley have good chemistry, but not enough to make the movie interesting. Now Greg Kinnear is quite good as the dad, and so was Bobby Coleman as the little brother, and both of them give quite good performances. And it does have nice scenery. But the rest of the film just does'nt do much, some of the characters are not very interesting. But it was'nt all bad, but was'nt as good as Dear John.

I think in time Miley Cyrus acting skills will improve.

Wonderful tear jerker!

Author: khilton49 from United States
2 June 2010

I read some reviews that paint The Last Song in a bad light, but I liked it. It was a touching film, well written, well acted and directed, and in my opinion the actors were perfectly cast for their parts.The screen adaptation of Nicholas Sparks' bestseller is a deeply emotional story of young love, the process of maturity, the crucial choices in our lives. have not read the book, and thus cannot comment upon the fealty of this film to Sparks' manuscript, but its emotional tone and import is certainly consistent with his other works with which I am familiar. This is the kind of film where you cringe at one moment from the stilted dialogue and then burst into tears over a love that knows no bounds the next moment.

A moderately sad film with Ms Cyrus giving a surprisingly solid performance.

Author: geoffgee from Sheffield, England.
3 May 2010

I was really impressed with the acting quality of several of the actors and actresses in this film. The young boy who plays Jonah (Bobby Coleman) does a magnificent job of portraying a youngster fighting his own inner turmoil whilst bravely trying to maintain some kind of peace between his sister and their father. Greg Kinnear does a decent job of playing a man delicately balancing his desire to regain his daughter's affection against her determination to remain stubbornly distanced from him. Miley Cyrus also delivers a surprisingly mature performance; one that suggests to me that, if she keeps performances as good as this up, she will most certainly be able to ensure for herself a successful post Hannah Montana portfolio of roles. Other character parts are all adequately and believably played. The screenplay is well paced with plenty of interesting plot details and a there is a good selection of more or less likable characters with whom to empathise (or otherwise). Cinematography is unremarkable and unobtrusive - yet vibrant and colourful. The film also benefits from incorporating quite an interesting theme (one which the Ronnie character in particular has to come to terms with) as events unfold and difficult decisions have to be taken. Please don't be put off by the ridiculously low rating this film has on IMDb for some reason. I highly recommend this film to anyone who appreciates poignant drama, sensitive acting and gorgeous beach settings.

loved this movie

Author: nicoletunger from United States
14 June 2010

I really enjoyed this movie. I read the book as well and I loved that equally, but they were the same but they were different in the best way possible. It was like two different things, almost like Gossip Girl the book and the show. Its the same characters and general plot but they altar the details so that your not seeing the same thing twice (once when your visualizing it while reading, and the other the movie, obviously). And for Miley acting which you all seem to dislike ohhh so much, I really enjoyed everyones! acting and I cried all three times I saw this movie in the theaters (I never see movies more than once in the theater). Everyone seems to think her acting was so bad, but i think thats just her character(besides the fact that everyone already has a bias opinion because its Miley...get over it people)! I enjoyed this movie and rank it in my top 10 movies! and I cannot! wait for it to be released on DVD! -Sincerly, Movie lover....

The Last Song

Author: martin-riley81 from United States
30 May 2010

When I began reading The Last Song, my first thought was this is the perfect book to read to finish out the summer. I thought it would be light, but an enjoyable read. To my delight, it became so much more as I read more of Ronnie's story.

Ronnie and her brother Jonah are sent to North Carolina to spend the summer with their estranged father. Their father left his prestigious position at Julliard to pursue his dream of being a concert pianist. His time away put a strain on his family and eventually ended his marriage. He now calls Wrightville Beach, NC home.

Ronnie never forgave her father for ruining their family. In fact, she hasn't spoken to him in three years. She's livid that her mother is forcing her to do this. As soon as she sets foot in her father's house, she's determined to plan her return back to New York. As soon as she enters her father's house, she puts distance between them by spending her first night away from his home. It's on this night that she first meets Will followed by Blaze. It's this night that will change her summer.

The Last Song is told in four differing points of view: Ronnie, Steve, Will and Marcus. Through each perspective, Mr. Sparks reveals more of the story and at times flashing back to the past to provide more history. Each character has something to add to the events of that summer and reading it in his or her own voice adds to the realness of the story.

Early on I had a hint of how the novel would end. As I realized my assumption was right, it didn't prepare me for the emotions I felt as I continued to read. The Last Song isn't only about love. It's also about learning how to forgive yourself for your past mistakes so you can move forward. This is evident as Ronnie struggles to forgive herself for allowing her anger and hurt to prevent her from having a relationship with her father. During this summer, Ronnie realizes despite her behavior, her father's love remained unconditional.

Steve, Ronnie's and Jonah's father, spends time quietly reading his Bible. It's during these devotionals, that Steve has forgiven himself and draws closer to God. Mr. Sparks did a fantastic job of using Steve's devotions to illustrate that through God, new beginnings are possible, despite your past, if you have faith, believe and put your trust in God. He continues to illustrate new beginnings by restoring broken relationships between a parent and child, the destroying and reconstruction of a church and learning to love and respect yourself.

The Last Song is an emotionally charged novel, one that I highly recommend. I suggest you read with tissues nearby. It will grabbed the reader and won't let go until the very last page.

Outstanding!

Author: cieralawson11 from United States
11 May 2010

Now I'm not usually the type of girl to go in for these mushy type of films, but I must say that "Last Song" made me feel it whole-heartedly and took me on a very warm and romantic journey about life, love, fate and all of it's fragile complexities. This is perfect as a date movie with the one you love or when you just want to spend a reflective evening with a glass of wine just getting reconnected to your humanity! Both Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth turn in multi-layered performances as two people who are both at a crossroads in their lives and who meet, by chance & fate, to complete each other and share in a rare perfect moment in time that lasts over the course of a long summer. I really think Miley Cyrus gave an outstanding performance in this film. I loved this movie, and I cant wait for it to come out on DVD.

Pretty decent, it's not like we're dealing with a second round of Gigli or Glitter here

Author: Chris Cooke from Canada
7 April 2010

So I saw this movie with a friend of mine tonight, who is a big Nicholas Sparks fan. Mid way through the movie, she turned to me and said "If you haven't read the book, this probably makes little to no sense". That statement pretty much covers this movie. I haven't read the book, so I knew pretty quickly I was watching a cliché and bad screen play. That being said, what seemed like a train wreck in progress turned out being pretty decent.

If anyone deserves something good out of this flick, it is Greg Kinnear (who plays the father character) and Bobby Coleman (who plays Miley's brother). Both did fantastic with their roles. While the movie was filled to the brim with cliché's and excessive montages, these two were able to grab your attention in a positive way. Bobby was exceptional on making you feel for his character on an emotional level, which for a child actor is a rare ability. Greg Kinnear reminded us why he is an underrated actor, eliciting laughter (the good kind) in the most unexpected and emotional places, while at the same time making you feel for his character.

As for Miley; I'll be blunt, she wasn't that great. However, I must give credit where it's due: While she displayed limited range, she did not once overact, even if the scene was 'begging' for it. Miley definitely showed a presence in the movie, and while she wasn't the best thing about it, her performance was hardly the worst. Her performance was fairly uneven; bad at some points, but fairly good at others. I think with more practise/instruction, Cyrus could definitely become a better actress.

Overall, I'd give this flick a 5/10. It was decent. It's nothing to write home about, but it's not an abomination of Gigli or Glitter proportions either. Despite it's weak screen play and abundance of cliché's, it did hit several people in the theatre in an emotional way, which is kinda the whole point.

I was surprised

Author: katcannon from United States
7 April 2010

I went into this movie with an open mind. While I am not a Miley Cryus fan I wanted to give her a chance.I had read the book several times, and think it is one of Nicholas Sparks best books. I had read the critics reviews and I think they were all dramatic. Miley did a wonderful job in this role, however I do think the little boy playing Jonah did better.Greg was amazing as the father and brought tears to my eyes throughout the whole ending of the movie. Liam? Well he is good looking and has his shirt off several times in the movie. But you would never know he has an Australian accent. Either way, do not judge this movie before you see it. You may come out just as surprised as I was.