IMDb > The Last Song (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Song

The Last Song More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
19 August 2010

The Last Song

Like their seasonal namesake, summer flings are sweaty, sleepless affairs that generally last for two-months before abruptly ending, leaving your body covered in strange rashes and bite marks.

Sadly, the summer tryst of the troubled teen in this romantic/drama ends on a much more tragic note.

Forced to spend the summer with her estranged/musician father (Greg Kinnear), the unruly, yet gifted, Ronnie (Miley Cyrus) is disgruntled.

Her gloomy disposition, however, doesn't dissuade a local (Liam Hemsworth) from romantically pursuing her. Unfortunately, his efforts are trumped by news her father has cancer.

Layered with lachrymose love and loss motifs, The Last Song is typical Nicolas Sparks schmaltz made even worse by a lead actress whose awkward jaw is apposite evidence of her scene chewing abilities.

As for the best part of a summer romance: You only have to stay fit and look sexually attractive for, like, 12-weeks out of the year. (Red Light)

Disappointment...

Author: evula1234
17 August 2010

I read the book first and it was OK for the summer evening reading. I read Miley Cyrus played the main character in the movie. I had never seen her playing before, but I thought, Ronnie could kinda looked like her - why not...

As soon as the movie started, I got so disappointed by her acting. I just could not believe her playing it. I could not believe her lips, her crying, her emotions. Nothing. The only thing I appreciated was the way she looked in the movie - that could be Ronnie :) and Miley's song at the end of the movie. That was nice.

However, the very first scene with Ronnie's brother - I was like, yes! this little one is exactly like in the book. I think, Ronnie's father was OK and Will, well he was OK. Did not have much to say in the movie. But I could believe the actor.

The movie was in many ways different from the book, but I didn't mind it.

All in all, I am happy to have read the book but I could do well without seeing the movie...

Hannah Montana grows up!

Author: Swagger91 from United Kingdom
4 May 2010

After following the production of this movie for well over a year, (before it even had a title!) I finally got the chance to see it this afternoon and I wasn't disappointed with the final outcome one bit.

I've read so many negative reviews which focus mainly on Miley Cyrus' acting but I think any fan knows, and probably Miley herself, that she was never going to get many fair reviews from movie critics. In this film Miley completely sheds her Hannah Montana/popstar image and plays the role of a moody, troubled teenager exceptionally well. I also found the acting of all the main cast to be of a high standard although I did feel that some of the dialogue seemed clunky and poorly written so certain scenes felt slightly false and awkward.

The death of Ronnie's father was dealt with particularly well, we were made to really connect with both Ronnie and her father over the course of the movie so when we found out he was dying of lung cancer it really came as a blow to the audience watching and by the end of the film there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The only part of the movie I didn't like was the character Blaze. She just came across as annoying, unpleasant and completely unnecessary to the plot. When Miley's character gave her the wad of cash I felt like slapping the girl! I really think that if her character had been cut from the film there wouldn't have been anything important missing.

The Last Song isn't perfect, the direction seems a little jarring at times and the random cuts can sometimes bring you straight out of the story but it is highly enjoyable. The relationships developed between Ronnie, her father and her brother Jonah mean that pretty much anyone can relate the story to the relationships in their own families. It's both funny and a real tear jerker and it might just surprise anyone who doesn't consider Miley Cyrus a particularly good actress.

And talking of Miley, for fans the last few scenes when 'When I Look At You' kick in are simply awesome! Me and my friends ended up staying during the credits just to hear the full song. Excellent.

Girl meets boy. Girl becomes woman.

Author: Fox Garrison from United States
27 August 2010

This is the kind of movie you would show someone from whom you wanted to extract information. To whom you wanted to torture with the undeniable goal of killing them slowly. In a nutshell, this is the kind of movie the Syrian government is looking to utilize for their rendition victims.

It is that painful.

The story is as thin as a thread. The characters are like blank pieces of paper, which if you stared at long enough have more character than the actors in this movie. God, even the script was bad. The dialogue was stilted, the characters never really finish their sentences and shall I go on? It was even as slow as watching a court case run through the justice system.

By the end of the movie I just wanted to drive a hole through my skull in an effort to erase the memory of that night.

At least 'The Last Song' was a good one.

Author: jhunt709 from United Kingdom
22 May 2010

'The Last Song' (based on the eponymous novel by 'The Notebook' scribe Nicholas Sparks) appears to have received much criticism for various aspects of its running time, many of which I can respect, however it strikes me as vicious that viewers are focusing on Miley Cyrus' likability as if it were the overall staple. For a single, external aspect to polarise the audience in such a manner is extremely unforgiving to the bigger picture, and therefore I'll address the Miley factor in a neutral manner. In a leading role separating her from alter ego Hannah Montana, Miley proves she is a blossoming young actress who just needs a few more opportunities like 'The Last Song' in order to find her feet out of a Disney character's shoes. In my opinion her main fault is to play Ronnie, a troubled and troublesome teenager, with a hanging lower lip and fixed gaze for much of the first act, failing to explore why her character is broken. This issue is short-lived however, and Miley plays a happier Ronnie later in the film to a stronger degree, benefiting from her arcing character which should have been developed sooner. In my opinion, the script is at fault for striving to depict Ronnie's demeanour through conventional methods such as bratty behaviour and cocky dialogue. Some may take issue with the watered- down characters (particularly readers of the book) but this is a difficult problem for any screenplay when adapting from the written format.

Besides the sole draw of superstar Cyrus, 'The Last Song' tells a touching story about love, life, family and friendship through Ronnie's connection with her estranged father (a suitably cast Greg Kinnear) and the local heartthrob Will, played by Liam Hemsworth who, like Cyrus, should be credited with rising to the part. The comic relief in Jonah, Ronnie's younger brother, is adapted well by an enthusiastic Bobby Coleman who adds some necessary character to a number of scenes, including the overdone shopping spree montage (which in this instant, he saves). Of course the film generally serves itself as a mechanism driving itself towards its inevitable heartfelt ending, although when the time comes the subject matter is dealt with beautifully, the film remaining uplifting as the credits roll to the inspirational 'When I Look At You'. In my opinion it is moments like these which clarify film's success as a thought-provoking reflection of how we might treat our relationships with significant others; while the novel and its author can be credited with crafting this, the medium of film highlights the concept of fragility for all to see rather than interpret.

'The Last Song' isn't necessarily exciting or remarkable cinema. What it is, however, is a pleasant and gentle piece that touches on the delicate aspects of life that every one of us can relate to.

Considering...

Author: cjoiner-3 from United States
1 April 2010

I'll be honest with other movie-goers: my college friends and I elected to see this movie during a girls night out, if only "ironically," you know, to see a potentially bad movie and laugh at it. Clearly, 80% of the audience crammed in the theater with us was there for the same reason.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I've never been a Miley Cyrus fan because I feel like she's a poor singer riding on the coattails of her father whilst her family pushes her heavily from behind.

All in all, I've seen more terrible movies.

I never read the actual book and for this I apologize, but be aware I'm grading this movie as precisely that: a film.

The acting was sitting somewhere between Disney channel and Oscar award-winning: not terrible but not fantastic. There were certain moments when I cringed and thought "really, director? you couldn't fix that?" But there were also moments when I was pleasantly surprised.

Note to the audience: Miley Cyrus isn't incredible, but the boy who played her little brother was and Greg Kinnear, as per usual, was quiet awesome. Kelly Preston wasn't great but, when remembering that the filming of this movie fell somewhere near the death of her sweet son, she was fine; god bless the Travolta/Preston family.

The relationship between Miley and her on/off-screen boyfriend was rushed; my friends and I were aghast by some of their actions because we couldn't tell how much time had passed since the beginning of their relationship and, we wondered, "isn't it a little soon for this?"

The emotional element of this movie was pivotal, as it is with most Nicolas Sparks book-to- screen projects. Miley Cyrus got better as the movie progressed but still didn't quite reach the level that Rachael McAdams did in "The Notebook." Not to compare actresses, but Nicolas Sparks is, in and of himself, a completely different genre of "love movie."

I felt as though the subject of Ronnie's college attendance wasn't addressed aggressively enough; the movie makes several mentions of it but suddenly she makes a big decision that didn't seem contextual enough.

On a completely rude note, this film was too dramatic and emo for me; I understand if that might be book related, but I just don't think it was; in the past, Mr. Sparks has wanted the audience to connect with him, not feel battered by emotional waves. i thought this movie was predictable and emo; that's not necessarily bad, but there it was.

If you want a good romp through summer romance off your cuff, this movie is quite suitable. If you want to see Greg Kinnear highlighted like the star he is and sent to the Oscars for recognition, this is not it. People who love the metaphorical and subtle essence of film: look elsewhere. Good night with your girlfriends? Checkmate.

miley needs to just give up

Author: sarah say from United States
4 April 2010

This girl has NO talent whatsoever. She cannot sing and she definitely cannot act. I couldn't enjoy the movie because of her. Anyone..and I mean ANYONE would have been better than miley for this role. She is just too immature for a movie like this. I'm obviously not a fan of her music, but I thought hey..why not go see her on the big screen. Big mistake. It was a waste of time and money. I do not recommend this movie to anyone. Miley should not call herself an actress. There are plenty of women out there who actually can act, yet i'm so confused as to why Miley was chosen for this movie. I hope she never gets a role like this again.

Girls

Author: mkminnieyk
25 July 2016

The main character of this story is a girl. I think this story indicates girl at puberty very well. A lot of girls may sympathize with main character. Girls at puberty have a lot of troubles. Sometimes they consider about their love, sometimes they consider about their family. The main character of this movie, a girl also think about family and her love. Her father is divorced from her mother. The girl defies her parents. Then, she meets a good boy. However she quarrels with the boy over some problems. I think some girls at puberty defy their parents for a while and some girls quarrel with their boyfriend. This movie indicates girl at puberty very well. A lot of girls' feeling is so dedicate. The audience can see the girl's feeling. I can sympathize with main character. However there is not big wave in the story. Therefore this story may be difficult for some kids.

I really wanted to like this

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
27 November 2015

"The Last Song" is a 107-minute movie from 5 years ago directed by Julie Anne Robinson. It was the first of so far 2 writing efforts by Jeff Van Wie when he adapted the Nicholas Sparks novel for the screen. I loved "A Walk to Remember", I liked "The Notebook" and I have always been a fan of Miley Cyrus, so i was pretty curious about it. My hopes were smashed pretty quickly though. This was a disappointing movie. Cyrus plays her part solid and same goes for Kinnear, but most of the cast are really not good. However, the worst thing about this film is the script. It is packed with enough drama and tragedy for 3 films and at some point, it just stops feeling authentic: Hemsworth's brother, the protagonist's father, the arson plot, Chaikin's character etc. And what was up with that raccoon-turtle story on the beach? I guess that is supposed to be a metaphor on children who want to live after their parents left them alone? It's very pretentious and hey raccoons have to feed their kids too.

One of the worst moments was surely when Hemsworth's character actually turns out to work for the aquarium. Talk about really cheesy and unrealistic coincidence. And sadly, the whole love story did not feel too authentic either, especially when they meet and are not a couple yet. It's not romantic, it is really just cringeworthy. This is particularly disappointing as Cyrus and Hemsworth were a couple for a very long time and they certainly could have made something better with their chemistry. And finally, this movie lacks the great music from other Miley Cyrus works in the past, especially the marvelous "Hanna Montana" movie. This will not destroy my appreciation for her as I don't think her performance wasn't bad in "The Last Song", but the movie crumbled around her. Looking forward to her next projects, which will hopefully be better.

good

Author: georgebush from Antarctica
30 April 2010

Don't like any of the Hanna Montana songs or her early career. So went to this film expecting the worst. the film actually turned out well. Not a chick flick but more of a drama. Miley Cyrus did a pretty good job considering her goofy early dramatic and music work designed for popular appeal to certain kids. This film is actually interesting with good acting by the brother, father and the rest of the cast.

This film had an interesting story and is the kind of film I would not have even gone to had there been anything in the theater I had not already seen. it actually could be liked by any age. I, personally, think that Miley Cyrus may change direction in her career. She recently took her real fathers name in an official name change. I expect that Miley will not follow in the footsteps of other Disney losers like Britney Speers and Lindsay Lohan. This film is a step in the right direction but her recent American Idol appearance was pretty bad. The film is worth seeing.