IMDb > The Last Song (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Song

The Last Song More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

For Nicholas Sparks Fans

Author: gradyharp from United States
6 November 2011

Nicholas Sparks has found a formula about teenage angst an finding love despite non- supportive parents: from the number of books and films that use his formula it would seem he has hit pay dirt. THE LAST SONG is Sparks' 14th published novel on the same theme as the preceding 13 and was published in 2009. One year later he transformed that sudsy story (with some help from Jeff Van Wie) into another of his formula films and turned it over to TV director Julie Anne Robinson to map out the predictable story.

For a brief outline of the scant story: begin with a divorced family - Ronnie (Miley Cyrus) and her younger brother Jonah (Bobby Coleman) are sent to spend the summer with their father Steve (Greg Kinnear) in an indescribably beautiful waterfront town in Georgia. Ronnie resents her father and has no intention of being friendly or even talking to him for the summer. But after meeting a handsome guy Will Blakelee (Liam Hemsworth) and beginning to fall in love, Ronnie starts rediscovering her love for music, something she shares with her father. Reconnecting with music revives a kinship with her father which proves to be the most important relationship she may ever experience. And there it is. Mix the story with the usual acidic girls in the town who claim Will is a Lothario, overcome that rumor with some all night watches for raccoons who may steal some sea turtle eggs, pop in some father/son meaningful contact, and there you have a Nicholas Sparks formula.

Miley Cyrus is Miley Cyrus - and for fans of Hannah Montana that works well. The light of the film is the screen presence of Liam Hemsworth who looks and acts like someone who will succeed in movies. Otherwise, just be advised that this is another setting for a Nicholas parks familiar story; if that is to your liking you will like this. If not, then pass.

Grady Harp

The movie was lacking

Author: mrsmarohn from Knoxville, TN
8 October 2010

I was so excited to see this movie, and even though I was on my way to the hospital I had my mom get it out of the mail box for me. I finally got to watch it today, and I have to say I was very disappointed.

The screen play was written before the book so I thought that Nicolas Sparks would have used more of what is in the book for the movie, but I was really wrong. The two main characters in the movie need to learn how to act. It was so obvious that Miley Cyrus has never experienced real life or the loss of someone very dear to her. Also, it seemed like the guy who played Will was only interested in the kissing in the movie. Another disappointment was how the character of Marcus was portrayed. It could have been so much better, and more like the book where he pretty much stalked Ronnie. The actors that played Jonah and his dad were awesome.

In short the movie could have been so much better if Mr. Sparks had taken some of what he had written in the book and put it into the movie.

Does someone always have to die?

Author: gregsonproductions from United States
16 June 2010

Well another Sparks movie where someone just has to die. It's getting old and dare I say expected, which ruins the story, when one is just waiting to see who the grim reaper will come calling for.

Miley Cyrus did an adequate job in this movie. At least she kept it clean. The film was contrived, cliché and lackluster. Kinnear as always shines on screen. Too bad he had so little to work with.

My young daughters begged me to take them to the movie as they are obsessed with Cyrus. Unfortunately for them, after her recent antics and attempts to 'grow up', I will be curbing their adoration of this young woman.

Wrong...just WRONG!

Author: cardsfan2404 from United States
10 June 2010

I read the book prior to seeing the movie and because the book was exceptionally outstanding, I was excited to see the movie. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER! Now I know that all movies cannot be exactly like the book or they could get really long, but you CANNOT expect to take out MAJORITY of the important details from a book and expect to movie to be good. So many details were left out. For example, Marcus basically stalked Ronnie through the book and was supposed to be the sociopath. He was in the movie once, maybe twice.

I was also very upset with the idea involving the fire in the church. In the book, Will believed Scott started the fire and continued to have him confess. However, it was brought to light that Marcus and his fireball tossing gang were responsible, thus making Ronnie forgiving of Will.

Another HUGE detail I feel that could have been included fairly simply was the fact that Ronnie's mom was actually responsible for the divorce because SHE cheated on her husband, so he left. That was not even touched on in the movie. It was just accepted that her dad was the problem

While I'm going, the wedding scene was wrong and the background of Ronnie's father was pretty much missing. His background with the priest was not in the movie, making his appearance at the end of the funeral seem so awkward and out of place.

Overall, I felt that the movie was very choppy and seemed way too rushed and because many details were ignored, it didn't make a ton of sense. I felt that the only acting that was believable was the scenes between Jonah and his dad. The one very touching part of the book that was left from the movie was the scene between Jonah and his dad in the hospital when his dad explains everything. I was crying so much while reading it and then the movie skipped from Miley blaming her dad and pouting as he is dying to her with her BF on the beach. It was very frustrating and I found Miley's acting to be less than true. I felt like the true depth of emotion that I felt in the book was missing in the movie and that Miley's reactions were abrupt and fake. Her relationship with her dad was horrible but seemed to magically fix itself with no explanation.

In the end, I left the theater extremely MAD. I was expecting to cry a lot but only cried when seeing Jonah finish the stain-glass window and at the funeral. I felt like coming home and reading the book again.

I would not recommend that you spend money to see it. If you can see it free, try not to leave part way through.

Nice Looking Foliage

Author: ajfdomingo from Philippines
6 August 2010

After seeing this movie, I don't think it is too harsh to say that I really do hope it lives up to its title. The Last Song is a nearly two hour cliché. An upside is the acting of Greg Kinnear who is quite moving as the ailing Steve Miller. There are moments when the drama within the Miller family is touching but you snap out of it easily as if anticipating Miley Cyrus breaking out into song. I am not even sure whether the casting is right. Miley may have her fair share of fans as a singer but as an actor, she can seem rather stiff. It's a good thing though that Georgia is scenic because there are times in the film that I did end up watching the scenery.

Creepy Father and Emotionless Devil Daughter

Author: nicolelane2295 from United States
15 July 2015

The father was just creepy from the gecko and Miley portrayed an emotionless devil daughter. I do not, on ever earth, blame Liam Hemsworth having her as a basket case romantically. This movie just continuously proves that young love will be young love albeit offputting consistency will be in it. Also, nugatory characters are in this movie a bit. Oh, well. Gripping onto the reasoning why I liked Ronnie's brother, I saw more maturity in the little brother. He seemed to have a better excuse to behave politely and accordingly. In summarizing here, everything was mediocre here and I felt the little brother deserved better. I was even wondrously pondering the thought of Ronnie's mother being the equation to her daughter's bitchiness.

One Song Too Many.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
29 May 2015

The Last Song (2010): Dir: Julie Anne Robinson / Cast: Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth, Greg Kinnear, Bobby Coleman, Kelly Preston: A long repeated concept regarding last chances to do right. Miley Cyrus and her younger brother are spirited off to their father's beach house for the summer where she is reluctant to reconnect. Director Julie Anne Robinson is backed with fine photography but the screenplay is a cliché ridden romantic farce. Cyrus will go through a predicted up and down relationship with some meathead surfer, will mend things with dad, and save sea turtles. None of this is very interesting and it only serves as an opportunity to cash in on Cyrus's young fan base. Liam Hemsworth has the thankless role of pearly whites boyfriend who goes through a xeroxed jerk around relationship that contains all the passion of a punch to the testicles. Greg Kinnear has the one decent role as a father is is blamed for the burning of a Church. He will die, of course, but he at least has the one bit of dignity in the entire film. Bobby Coleman plays younger brother who does his best but the role is more or less a temporary companion for the Kinnear character while Cyrus is turtle sitting and nearly getting laid. Kelly Preston plays the mother who spends most of the film off screen likely trying to contact her agent and find out why her career has come down to this. The Cyrus fan base will love this film until either the fame dies down or they realize what candy coated manipulative bullshit this truly is. Hopefully the last time we'll see or hear of a Last Song screenplay but that is probably wishful thinking. Score: 3 ½ / 10

A story of summer love and heartbreak

Author: Laura Fuller (laurafuller101) from United States
30 September 2014

A fitting quote that speaks volumes of The Last Song, "The pieces all fit together, yet everything was falling apart", expresses the opinions of the watchers of the movie. The Last Song, another installation in the line of Nicholas Sparks' novels-turned-movies, centers on a teenage girl, her summer romance, and her relationship with her father. The movie features big names in acting, like Greg Kinnear and Kelly Preston, while spotlighting new faces in acting, for example Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus. Although Cyrus is not a new celebrity name, The Last Song is her first silver screen acting role. Cyrus is a big name among tween girls for her role as Hannah Montana, and her singing career is starting to take off. However, acting in semi-serious roles or in movies at all might not be in her future. While Miley Cyrus does have a popular fan base to support her endeavors, The Last Song proves that Cyrus does not have the chops to be a great or even good actress, as expressed through her demeanor on screen, as well as through the reviews on her acting.

To illustrate the sub-par acting of Cyrus, the audience should pay close attention to how she acts. Even though the character of Ronnie was already a teen with a bad attitude, Cyrus adds the element of bad acting. In a review for the New York Times, writer A.O. Scott claims that Cyrus "…Most of the time she seems to be… play-acting rather than exploring the motives and feelings of her character." Scott is absolutely true. Cyrus mopes around on screen, not really having much emotion or, when she does, it is sometimes exaggerated. For example, when Cyrus and Hemsworth guard the turtle eggs overnight, she does not really delve deeply into the emotions of her character, but rather just seems to be reading the lines. Claudia Puig, a reporter for USA Today, reports that Cyrus "sulks and sneers her way through her first dramatic role", and that she has "shaky dramatic bets." To counter the harsh reviews, Roger Ebert, a renowned movie critic, believes that Cyrus "seems sincere" and "Her acting is unaffected, she can play serious." Cyrus may have some parts of the movie where she is serious, like when she and Kinnear finish the song and Kinnear's funeral, but most of the time she is not attached to her character. For most of The Last Song, Cyrus demonstrates how unexperienced her acting truly is. An example would be when she and Hemsworth have a fight around the middle of the movie. Cyrus explains to Hemsworth why she is mad at him, but Cyrus seems to not actually mean what she is saying; like she is just saying it to say it. Another scene in the movie that displays her less-than- stellar acting is another scene with Hemsworth. Again, she seems to be saying the lines, but not meaning them or having an ounce of conviction when the lines are spoken. Whenever Cyrus and Hemsworth have a scene together, which is almost every scene in the movie, Cyrus never gives the impression that she feels a romantic connection between her character and Hemsworth's character. The lack of chemistry could be a result from Cyrus's unemotional acting.

Wake up, Miley

Author: contrerassherry from United States
18 January 2014

I like romances and tear-jerkers but this one didn't do it for me. Along with Miley Cyrus' mediocre acting, there were little things here and there that distracted me from getting into the movie.

For instance, everybody knows that it's OK to jump into an aquarium and swim with the fish. And the saving-the-baby-turtle scenes just made me think of how 85% are destined to be eaten.

And the vegetarian thing.....

And of course a little kid can master the art of stain glass and finish a window for a church in a week or two.

And everybody knows that the way to win over a guy is be hostile and obnoxious and reject all his advances.

And Will gets the brother some cookies and milk at the hospital and something happens and they walk away and leave it.

And when you get stuck in the mud, it's a real hoot, isn't it? Throwing mud all around is the best response. And then later you're magically unstuck.

ah well...I did get a little teary at the father-daughter parts near the end. The four stars are for Greg Kinnear.

over-top-acting by Miley Cyrus, terrible screenplay and poor direction will give you headache

Author: Ketan Gupta from India
21 July 2013

When you have Nicholas Spark's credibility to a film, next moment is to get romantic and feel the love and tenderness after watching his novel- turned-into-a-film. The Last Song , however, will spoil the mood

A moody girl is forced to stay with her father after her parents got divorced sometime back during one summer in Southern Beach where she finds new love and also re-kindles her affection towards her father.

The Last Song was a complete letdown to Nicholas Spark's esteemed novel thanks to over-top-acting by Miley Cyrus, terrible screenplay and poor direction. Frankly speaking , if you have high hopes pinned down on this film , you will be thoroughly disappointed with the pace of the film. It is difficult to find any good scene from the film and that is what will end my review here.

Overall , a very bad film in all the context. You might want to switch over other Spark's romantic based films like Notebook , The Lucky One, The Safe Haven for better watching . Poor 1/5