IMDb > The Last Song (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Song

The Last Song More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The worst movie I have ever seen

Author: albert-ruis from United States
12 April 2010

My 14 year old daughter and I (39 year old woman) went to see this together and both hated it. We both had read the book and loved it so we decided to see the movie.

The people who play Miley Cyrus' little brother and father were excellent and had a lot of great lines, but unfortunately Miley Cyrus and her boyfriend, absolutely, completely, can not act. And since they are the main focus of the movie it dragged on and on. The dialogue was very straightforward and boring.

This is the only movie I have ever seen that I was contemplating walking out.

'Last Song' hits some good notes, misses others

Author: katie-joy from United States
31 March 2010

Enter Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller, a recently graduated seventeen-year-old with an attitude problem, divorced parents, a fresh shoplifting arrest and combat boots. When Ronnie is sent from New York to Georgia to live with her dad for the summer, she is less than thrilled and at first resists letting anyone in.

Enter Will Blakelee, a rich small town 'hunk' (if you will), with volleyball skill and charm. Not exactly a rebellious teen aged girl's cup of tea, right? Well... not quite.

Ronnie, played by Disney's princess Miley Cyrus, seems set not falling for anyone over the summer. But she ends up doing the opposite. Will's (Liam Hemsworth, Australian newbie) consistency pays off after just a couple of run-ins. He's writing 'Forever' on Ronnie's converse and playfully pushing her into the ocean before she even comes to fairly good terms with her piano-playing father, Steve. (Greg Kinnear) The fast pace relationship was sweet, considering it's between teenagers. Nothing like cliché summer romance, huh? If only there was more depth to the relationship... (not counting Will's secretly damaged family, and Ronnie's dramatic anger towards her dad) ... then maybe it would have been a more successful movie as a whole.

I'm not going to blame Cyrus' ability to act (or maybe lack thereof) on the low points of the film. I'll actually give it to her, she did a nice job transitioning from little miss Hannah Montana to a darker, not as tween-based character. There is always room for improvement, however, as she seems to get bored of her alter ego throughout the film. But all in all, I did find her likable for the most part.

At the end of the day, I cannot really complain or bash The Last Song. It was a debut in a lot of ways... Julie Anne Robinson's directorial debut, Nicholas Spark writing a screenplay debut, and Miley's debut as someone other than Hannah. So, cut it some slack. Excuse the sometimes cheesy moments and keep your mind open.

6/10, Not too shabby.

love the story.. hated the 2 leads

Author: millicentsambajon from Philippines
4 May 2012

i love Nicolas sparks, really. but when i watched this movie i was so completely disappointed.. specially when you compare it to the notebook and a walk to remember.. the story line is good a tear jerker and gives the importance of family and acceptance, but choose some wooden-acting- novice-actors then you got a recipe for a bad movie.. hated Miley doesn't even got the decency to act and Liam?? enough with the smiling act and heart rob bravado... dude please act.. you are paid to do so!! the only consolation was Greg and the little kid that plays his son.. sad for Nicolas sparks to get such a bad review just because of promotional tactics of newbie actors.. :( just because one is good looking, and the other one is known for her prowes in the music area doesn't mean they can act.. please enroll in an acting workshop!!

Miley Cyrus or Nicholas Sparks...

Author: monkey_kelstar from United States
8 April 2010

I don't know who to complain about more. I saw this movie just for fun, not expecting anything wonderful. But I didn't realize it would be absolutely horrendous. And it wasn't just one element of the movie that was horrible; it wasn't just the acting, directing, or writing. It was a combination of all those factors. The screenplay was clichéd from the start. Ronnie, more of a brat than a troubled teen, reluctantly arrives at her dad's house along with her overenthusiastic little brother. Their divorced parents talk, "We hurt them, you know." Ronnie walks down to the beach with a pout on her face, "My dad made me come down here for the summer - not like I wanna be here." She runs into a hot local guy, who for some strange reason takes an interest in her, despite her attitude. It's already something any 15- year-old who wanted to write a book or a screenplay could think of on their own.

Then, of course, there are little subplots. The baby turtles - I left the theater to go get a snack, that scene was getting too dumb - the friend who doesn't want to put up with domestic violence but has nowhere else to stay; the return to piano playing. Besides all of this, we have a girl who decides she's in love with a sweet, rich boy who's too ideal for real life - he helps the environment, works as a mechanic, is a volleyball star, lives in a huge mansion, accepted to Columbia but bound for Vanderbilt in the tradition of his family. Of course, Ronnie decides she's "in love" with Will after only a week of dating him.

The next twist in the story comes when the dad (Greg Kinnear was the best actor in the movie) collapses and is rushed to the hospital. Ronnie, bitch that she is, becomes angry at her dad for lying about his disease rather than supporting him. But she reconciles with him soon enough. Now this is a complete 180 from where the girl was at the beginning of the summer. Of course, a person completely changes in one summer - classic story.

This movie has two plot formulas: two family members who are half a step from estranged becoming gradually closer; and a girl meeting a boy, hating him, liking him, getting angry at him, breaking up with him, and getting back with him. Two formulas mixed together.

All right, so this is a very formulaic movie, you get it. But, as I said before, that's not the only thing wrong with it. Miley Cyrus is very disappointing as an actress. Not that I think she's so talented to begin with, but I thought she might have stepped it up a bit now that she's leaving behind Disney stuff for "serious" movies. I was so wrong. She acted like her character in "Hannah Montana:" a brat with a sarcastic sense of humor. Her expressions during her dad's death (horrible scene anyway) and funeral made the saddest scenes amusing. She really has to take her acting to the next level if she wants to be taken seriously - or maybe she doesn't have the potential. Either way, her acting was barely mediocre in most parts of this movie. But, if you don't care about the bad acting, inexperienced directing, or cliché screenplay, by all means, watch it.

So disappointed

Author: Amber from United States
8 April 2010

I read the book before seeing the movie. i couldn't put the book down and i was hoping the movie would be just as good but i was so let down. i (as well as another review had said) kept thinking about the book and all of the important things that were left out. I felt like my friend was missing all the major details. I really loved the book, but walking out of the theater i was actually more mad than anything. It could have been a really great movie, it just needed to be more like the book. I wish there weren't major details left out and parts being completely different from how they were in the book. Some characters weren't nearly as important as they were in the book. I would suggest not reading the book before you see it. you'll be disappointed. I would definitely read the book after though.

seriously- Miley??

Author: pamela pate
2 May 2012

What on earth were they thinking?? They have completely ruined the book for a lot of people by putting miley as the main protagonist! The movie does not alway need to be utterly true to the book but the audience usually expects the actors to at least try to embody the characters from the book,to try to feel and express their feelings as they do. Now that is something Miley is simply not able to achieve!Her acting is really bad and sometimes you just want to pause the movie and start doing anything else. Anything that might distract you from what she thinks is acting.I almost did that a few times but I surprisingly managed till the end. If you liked the book, I wouldn't recommend you to watch it. It is not worth it.

I rated it as 4 just because I liked the other actors (especially dad) and because I still like the book.

A obviously bad film.

Author: Walter_Skinner from United States
7 August 2011

This is a obvious bad movie. I'm pretty sure everyone that went into the theaters went in and knew this was going to be crap. Everyone at least had doubts about it because Miley Cyrus is given the lead role. If you thought that Miley Cyrus was going to do a good job and show some acting chops then you were probably living in denial. To be fair this movie would had been mediocre even without Miley Cyrus in the lead (although she didn't help things) the reason why is that the book from Nicholas Spark's was crap so the odds were good that the movie was going to blow too. The movie even seemed like it was going to bad after the opening credits. Almost like the movie wanted to be seen as much as the reluctant boyfriends that were dragged to see it.

Who knew Miley was a robot.

Author: bellebrunetteprincess from United States
17 May 2011

While in my opinion the movie itself had many faults in the story. The story actually wasn't that bad... it wasn't that good either. However the acting in this movie was something out of a classic horror flick. The worst actor in this movie was its star Miley Cyrus. Many times a line would call for fluctuation in tone or heck emotion. But what was give in was dead pan face with monotone voice. The male lead had his moments of charm and decent acting, but then it would seem as though he took an acting tip from Cyrus. And suddenly he to was dead pan an monotone. The only saving grace of this movie is Greg Kinnear as the father. Cause lets all just face it, it doesn't matter what role Mr. Kinnear is playing he is fabulous. Also as a pleasant surprise was Bobby Coleman as Jonah Miller. The kid is an outstanding actor who made his pain, joy, and adorably little brother incredibly believe able. As he said in the movie to Cyrus's character "you maybe older, but I'm smarter than you", apparently though younger he is also the better actor.

not worth the money IMO (contains spoilers)

Author: rockbunny from United States
7 March 2011

i know that the story was written for Miley and that the book was actually written after the movie, but i can say that i am very disappointed in the movie. i love Nicholas sparks, and his books have been turned into some wonderful movies, but in this case, the movie was so badly done i was quite angry.

miley did not show the range of emotion she should have in order to make me feel for her there should have been SO much more story into her friendship with the girl from the town and backstory on the fact that she has had run ins with the law before and that it was a big deal when she got framed for stealing the record. instead it was mentioned.

there was a lot missing other then just that. like why the church was so important to her father and the friendship between him and the pastor and why it was so important for him to finish the window.

IMHO the best part of the whole movie was the little brother. he hit every note that was given to him.

this movie made me very sad in that it was done so poorly and i wont be telling anybody they should spend their money to see it

Cliché ridden badly directed from Disney( Touchstone)

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
27 September 2010

This is another BAD film from Touchstone. Apparently the magic that was Disney is no more. The screenplay for this mess was written by Nicholas Sparks, He wrote the novel after he did the screenplay,Hopefully he omitted all the clichés that are in the movie.

It seems that most films from this once great studio are now cliché ridden,there are scenes after scenes that we all have seen too many times.

This in itself is not that great a sin as many films have an overabundance of clichés.

What does this in is the acting & direction. Julie Anne Robinson did not do a good job at the helm.

Miley Cyrus is the star, besides the fact she cannot act, she is very unappealing, she shows no screen presence at all. Greg Kinneer tries to give a credible performance.as her father. Liam Hemsworth is the romantic lead opposite Miley,He at least is good looking& tries hard. Bobby Colemanas the typical younger brother is near perfect.

There are many songs in the film,NONE done live,Miley is supposed to be a singer I do not know what if any songs she sang, nor do I care.

Nice scenery of the coast in Georgia.

It is not even worthwhile as a rental.

Ratings: *1/2* (out of 4) 36 points (out of 100) IMDb 3 (out of 10)

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]