IMDb > The Last Song (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Song

The Last Song More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Miley's most honest display of human emotion since deleting her Twitter account.

Author: Organic_6 from US, Pennsylvania
30 March 2010

Most writers would sell out by repeatedly writing screenplays that are vastly different from one another. Take Christopher Nolan for example; going from a psychological thriller where the storyline is paced backwards to an Oscar-winning blockbuster in which a world renowned superhero faces off his arch nemesis. Talk about a lack of consistency. A true writer gracefully keeps revisiting the same story over and over and OVER again and a great example for that kind of writer is Nicholas Sparks.

If recycling is healthy for our environment, it has to be with movies too, right? Never before has this man forgotten to add a romantic scene at the beach of an Eastern Seaboard sunset where two lovers mutely stare at one another. And who else can gorgeously stir up a tear-inducing ending as much as he? Forget 500 Days of Summer trying to explore the complexities of falling in love with a Hall and Oates dance sequence and an Expectations vs. Reality analysis. Instead he always remembers to kill off a protagonist at the end. M. Night Shyamalan calls HIMSELF the master of unpredictable twists? Puh-lease! Mr. Sparks's death sequences are so surprising, that you could almost say they're completely unrelated to the genre that the previous two hours were aiming to be.

And when a movie like Precious thinks its portrayal of a teenage girl in emotional turmoil is accurate, it's alarmingly mistaken. There, the leading lady is impregnated by her own dad, sadistically beaten down by her mother, all while dealing with obesity and illiteracy on a daily basis. Ha! Like THAT happens in real life. It's really the Last Song's Ronnie who deserves our sympathy. I mean, she has to spend the entire summer in an intimidatingly adorable Georgia beach house, embrace the pressure of getting accepted into one of the country's most respected art schools and endure the creepy smile of her overly kind father. Now that's plausible drama – I only wish I had the guts to sullenly disregard MY dad whenever he greets me with genuine concern. This vision of teen angst fantastically brought to life by none other than Miley Cyrus.

Now there are those jealous haters out there, determined to bring her acting career down. But they don't understand the effort it takes from a performer to purse your lips and cross your arms for 90% of a film. Like me and my fellow Miley fans said – she's just playing herself. It's really those hacks like Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep who are destroying everything classic cinema stood for. Who do they think they are to disappear into the heart and soul of characters they don't relate to or resemble in reality? When I'm watching a character on screen, I want to see the actor playing them. That's what made the most recent, Valentine's Day, so brilliant was that I could watch Jessica Alba being Jessica Alba the whole time yet grow blissfully unaware to her character's traits, abilities...heck, I couldn't even remember her name.

And mad props go out to Greg Kinnear in the role of a lifetime as the "antagonistic" father. A previous family drama of his called Little Miss Sunshine featured too much family and like…drama. It acted like each member had their own ambition and obstacle to deal with at the same time. What a load! This movie knows better, rather by making every other character's problems bow down to Ronnie's. In the Last Song, he delivers this performance, deserving the praise that Mo'Nique received playing Mary Jones. Never mind the fact Ronnie frequently shoplifts and snubs Julliard just to make a point. It's really him who's to blame for everything. How dare you fall out of love and pursue a career that makes you happy, only to have the audacity to want to mend the wounds of your broken hearted family? I rooted throughout for Ronnie as she continuously tried to reconstruct the layers of guilt and avoidance upon his shoulders. That leads me to my one grievance of this movie; a rebellious teenage girl visiting her estranged dad and blames one of her separated parents for breaking the family apart. Really Nick? That's all just too unfamiliar of a premise for me. At best, the closest Ronnie ever came to resembling a character from one of your previous features was Diane Keaton's daughter from Nights in Rodanthe (pauses) Ohhh!

Waste of time and money

Author: blueeyedbeauty776 from United States
31 March 2010

I'll admit I was excited at first to see this movie. I had just finished the book a couple days ago and was psyched to see such an incredible book brought to the theater. The book was amazing: funny, romantic, sad, cheerful, pretty much everything you could want in a book. Well, everything that made the book great was taken out in this appallingly horrible movie. It felt torturous to watch what with Miley Cyrus absolutely slaughtering the character of Ronnie. After finishing the book, I realized I couldn't see her as the character, but I figured she couldn't be too horrible. Oh how wrong I was.

I didn't believe Miley Cyrus for a second during the real pivotal scenes in the movie. Her tears/crying scenes were laughable. Her attitude problem phase was obnoxious. The only relationship I believed was the one between her and the guy and that's because they're dating off screen. Oh how difficult it must be to act like you're in love with you're real life boyfriend. I wouldn't even call her performance mediocre.

And then comes the fact that this movie didn't even somewhat resemble the book. They took out the best scenes. They changed nearly EVERYTHING. They cut the preacher and the important back-story of her father. They didn't introduce the slightly similar sub plot with Scott very well at ALL. It was hinted at throughout the book, but in the movie it was sudden and not very well done at all. Actually, the majority of the scenes were done opposite of how they were done in the book, making them really bad.

Scott was more important in the book. Marcus was WAY more important in the book and he was one of those characters that was really kind of creepy. He was supposed to be a sociopath in the book, but in the movie he was just an annoying jerk.

They completely changed Ronnie's reasoning,the reason Will fell for Ronnie, and many more things. In the book they really showed how Ronnie was different than other girls. In this movie,Miley Cyrus made Ronnie seem like every other girl but with an attitudeproblem. Miley played her as such a clingy, needy girl instead of the independent, self-assured, and intelligent girl she was.

Then again, they changed more than they kept. If you want to know the GOOD story of The Last Song, do yourself a favor and buy the book. This movie wasn't worth the time and money.

One thumb down, One as confused as Miley Cyrus

Author: Joseph Miller from United States
3 April 2010

Alright, first I shall note that I have not read the book. I hadn't even seen a trailer for this film before I had gone. I went with my mother and sister who had both read the book and more than enjoyed it. I really had no idea what this story was even about. I walked in with a completely open mind.

The acting in this movie was wonderful. On almost every account also. Greg Kinnear was amazing in the movie and the boy who played the son I was even impressed with. Miley Cyrus seemed to be the only exception. I hated her acting from the moment the movie began. As the movie went forth, I started to change my mind at times. She had no problem changing it back though. She was so off and on through out the entire film. She looked confused at times and when she actually had to show emotion like anger it was as if she didn't know what to do. But enough of that.

The story at times seemed rushed and misunderstood. Everything was predictable. The portions of the movie where I actually felt as though I was supposed to cry seemed to happen so fast that I felt like I didn't have time to understand how the characters felt. There were major holes in the plot that I still had questions about and it drove me nuts at times. There were a couple of times where I actually felt like I was enjoying it but they came and went quickly also. The whole movie, and please remember that I absolutely knew nothing about this story before hand, I felt like I had nothing to look forward to.

In the end I would say that I wouldn't suggest paying to see this in theaters. I definitely wouldn't buy it on DVD and I probably wouldn't even recommend renting it later. If by some chance you get an opportunity to see it for free and you're curious then go for it. I'd also like to mention that, from what I understand from my mother and my sister, this movie completely differs from the book so don't expect what you've read and definitely don't get to excited for this.

It was just so..... flat

Author: crimsonrubies from United States
2 April 2010

I didn't read the book, didn't want to. A bunch of my friends went to go see this movie, and I went with them. There are a few things wrong with this movie. First, Miley Cyrus cannot act. I mean, at all. It's painful to watch. Second, there is no originality. Just mix up a bit Twilight and most of Dear John, and you've got rather predictable The Last Song. Third, the characters. Ronnie is annoying enough without Cyrus, unbearable with her. She was such a brat at the beginning that I felt no pity the rest of the movie. Will makes several idiotic mistakes that cause Ronnie to have another temper tantrum. The little brother is cute, but irritating at times. Overall, this is just a flat, overrated chick flick that has the depth of a Disney Channel movie.

Where do we start...

Author: TVfan from United States
19 April 2010

It's been 5 years since I've reviewed a movie on IMDb, but oh... I am compelled! Where do we start? One of the producers has the last name of Cyrus, so I guess that explains a lot. But let's forget Miley's "acting" and address the story itself. I've always thought Sparks overuses death to illicit emotion in his readers/viewers (even though The Notebook and Message in a Bottle are two of my favorite films). But that aside, was there a single un-contrived moment in this film? They (whoever "they" is) tried to squeeze every type of plot device imaginable into this movie. So many cliché conflicts going on, I laughed more times than I can count. Hope I didn't disturb the other two people (both teen-aged girls) in the theater. However, hats off to Kinnear for an honest performance.

A really poor storyline and poor acting

Author: Tom Smith from New Hampshire
31 January 2011

Miley Cyrus fans might hate me for saying this, but the makers of "The Last Song" should have hired a real actress for the lead role. Miley obviously doesn't have the talent or know how to act. I had nothing against her, but in this, the first role I've seen her act in, it seemed like she was just playing herself and not playing any part that was written for her.

That said, "The Last Song" is a bust. It's a set of tired old recycled and clichéd experiences and really isn't worth the 107 minutes it takes to watch it. For the most part the storyline is so tired and old. And after watching it I was also disappointed that Greg Kinnear had signed up for it. That I can remember, I've always liked his acting and the roles he chose. But in this case, the writing was so, so poor that even if the makers of "The Last Song" signed up the best actors in Hollywood it couldn't save this film. They'd have to find some writers who were at a minimum mediocre-ish in order to improve this story.

All I can say is save yourself and watch something else.

A very pointless and inconsistent movie overall. Biggest problem: plot. Or lack thereof.

Author: kuromicherri55
1 April 2010

I just saw this movie today with a friend. Let me start off by saying I'm totally impartial toward Miley Cyrus b/c I think a lot of bad reviews on this movie will only make a point of how bad she is. I really didn't find this to be the case. Honestly, the problem with this movie lies in the story. It was very random from start to finish (as my friend pointed out, starting off slowly and then rushing sloppily to an end to try to tie things together) and had very expected 'twists'. During the whole movie, my friend and I kept predicting the next sequence of events. {The perfect 'everyone's-together-Dad-finally-accepted-my-boyfriend' scene: i turn to my friend, "someone's going to die". Dad gets up: my friend says "oh, something's gonna happen to him", the fact that Will ends up considering Columbia, that they end up together, etc. etc.} Also, this was full of clichés {the fact that Ronnie believed whatever the stupid blonde girl told her and then got all angry with Will for it on a dime, the separated couple gets back together, a child is resentful and rebellious over her parents' divorce, there's a character who's filthy rich but still has problems in his life--all big shocks} And so many random parts of the plot. For instance, Will lost his brother. We can already tell from his mother that his family/life isn't perfect. Why did they even need that? I mean, his father only mentions that brother once during dinner with Ronnie I think. It was very useless to me. And the way that Will was actually connected to the church fire thing through his friend and that's why the stained-glass window is so important and also what eventually causes Ronnie to reject Will was SO sloppily done. It was as if everything was supposed to be connected but it just came out jumbled and messy. THEN we have Ronnie and the acting. I don't blame Miley Cyrus. I don't blame *any* of the actors. Their lines were horrible and awkward. Their emotional ranges were so random I couldn't get in tune with any of the characters. The actors were so close to fitting the molds of their characters but then something would happen and it would get awkward again. And the way they had Ronnie transition from 'rebellious' to softened was choppy and strange. The actors did what they could with their dialogue and characters but in my opinion this was just badly written. I did cry at the end b/c they really do pull at your emotions, what with the song and the light and close-ups of the brother crying, it was hard to watch. But the whole time I was thinking "this really is a bad movie". And that's how I left. Feeling that I had just seen a bad movie. What I will say is that I at least appreciated the acting (making due with those choppy scenes) and a few transition techniques of some scenery shots which were actually quite beautiful and artistic. The highlights were definitely just the settings and scenery, as well as Cyrus' piano playing. But not a movie I'd recommend. Just skip it.

Garbage

Author: d_kittle from United States
12 February 2011

This is a movie that is absolutely predictable, badly acted and difficult to endure. Miley Cyrus's acting is honestly so awful that it is impossible to forget for even a moment that her entire career is funded by her father. Even the background music is overdone and obvious, like a bad soap opera. There is nothing about this movie that is original - think of almost any cliché and it is in this movie. I tried to sit through it non-judgmentally, thinking that I may have been too harsh about Miley Cyrus and the whole "Disney/Hanna Montana" debacle, and I thought that just maybe, Miley (and her father's choices) might have improved with time... but - no. No spoilers here - it is too easy, just think of any bad movie plot you have ever seen, and it is thrown into this movie..

Amazingly awful

Author: katelawrence95-706-155815 from Australia
7 April 2010

Well, I am a pretty big book worm, so when I found out that this was being made into a movie, I made an effort to read the book. I'd already read a few of Nicholas Sparks' books, and their adaptations were typical - missing plot lines etc. - but surprisingly good. But this book was incredible. The plot lines showed major attention to detail, and the twists and turns that this writer takes you on are so convincing.

But enough about the amazing book. Let's just say, my positivity basically ends there. Because the movie was horrible. I was pretty convinced when it began that it would turn out to be a good movie, but as soon as Miley Cyrus appears on the screen, it turns for the worst.

Miley Cyrus just doesn't fit the part. She doesn't actually make an effort to fit into the shoes of Ronnie Miller. Ronnie, in the book, is hardly Miss. Princess, and neither is the character that Miley chooses to play, but there is a huge difference between the two. But overall, I just don't think that she's actually capable of playing a character as deep as Ronnie. And it looks as though she hasn't actually tried.

I give positive reviews for the brother Jonah, and the father. Jonah was quirky and funny without being too dumb. He was funny at the right times and serious at the right times. I thought that the father definitely portrayed the character in the book to a really good standard. In both the book and the movie, these two have a really good bond, and I'm glad to see that this has been maintained.

Now, Marcus and his crew are hardly featured in the movie, which is a real letdown. In the book, Marcus basically stalks Ronnie, but in the movie, he is barely even featured. Blaze is pretty good, but they definitely could have involved her more.

Will, played by Liam Hemsworth, was pretty good, I found. I'm probably a bit biased seeing that I'm an Aussie myself, but as soon as he spoke, I was a bit sad. Most Aussie actors these days ditch their rightful accent, and the only time where I noticed his was when he tried to sing. I suppose you can't keep it out all the time. The way he played Will was... alright. Not brilliant, but probably better than his gf.

Overall, this movie lacked the feeling of the book, as it left out major scenes and plots. It was a real letdown, because I walked into the cinema expecting an experience true to the book, and if it had been, it would have been absolutely amazing.

But without a doubt, this was amazingly awful. My only advice - sit down and read the book instead of wasting your money on a ticket and the unnecessary popcorn.

"The Last Song"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
1 May 2012

A drama centered on a rebellious girl who is sent to a Southern beach town for the summer to stay with her father. Through their mutual love of music, the estranged duo learn to reconnect.

Well you could probably already tell I would have no whatsoever 'expectation' for this movie. It did sound like an interesting film, let's get that straight. It had potential to be something at least average. It had potential to be more, possibly. But there's only one reason why this movie doesn't get it right is Miley Cyrus. If your going to try to provoke the audience to feel something, to move them, do not cast Miley Cyrus. She's a gimmick, and she has no acting talent whatsoever. Her antics are laughable, and her ways to try to "act" are just so funny. The rest of the cast was a bit of a joke too. Who casts two horrible lead actors? I mean, are they really trying to approach nonsense? Are they really trying to make this a serious movie? Because nothing is done in a professional way. The movie looks as if it was produced my a bunch of whiny teenagers who were such BIG fans of the novel. This was directing by a first-timer, but that doesn't give it any excuse for trying to get past the clichés. Did I forget to mention? If your going to attempt to move the audience, creating something the audience has already seen is not going to do anything. Quite frankly, it's going to make the audience cringe.

This movie will only appeal to your teenage daughter. It's a chick flick, that consists of being as formulaic as most everything today. And that sucks, because maybe the movie had potential. But potential that would never be savored. If you like horribly-acted chick flicks with no depth or emotion, here it is. If you like movies in general, avoid at all costs.

1/10.