IMDb > Fuel (2008/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fuel

Fuel More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Do yourself a favor and watch this film!

Author: maryariadne from United States
16 October 2008

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS FILM. Coming from the perspective of someone who knows very little U.S. energy consumption or the politics surrounding it, I found the film extremely accessible, clear, and captivating. It enlightened me on the big picture (which until seeing this film seemed overwhelming and unapproachable), gave me a sense of hope, and empowered me as the average citizen with simple things I can do to be a part of the solution. I was touched and inspired by FUEL and came away with a whole new outlook on the world and life itself!

Synopsis (from the FUEL website): Most Americans know we've got a problem: an addiction to oil that taxes the environment, entangles us in costly foreign policies, and threatens the nation's long-term stability. But few are informed or empowered enough to do much about it. Enter Josh Tickell, an expert young activist who, driven by his own emotionally charged motives, shuttles us on a revelatory, whirlwind journey to unravel this addiction — from its historical origins to political constructs that support it, to alternatives available now and the steps we can take to change things. Tickell tracks the rising domination of the petrochemical industry — from Rockefeller's strategy to halt ethanol use in Ford's first cars to the mysterious death of Rudolph Diesel at the height of his engine's popularization, to our government's choice to declare war after 9/11, rather than wean the country from fossil fuel. Never minimizing the complexities of ending oil dependence, Tickell uncovers a hopeful reality pointing toward a decentralized, sustainable energy infrastructure. Sweeping and exhilarating, Tickell's passionate film goes beyond great storytelling; it rings out like a bell that stirs consciousness and makes individual action suddenly seem consequential.

An entertaining and informative environmental movie with REAL solutions!

Author: lerner-12 from United States
16 October 2008

FUEL is a great movie for everyone who wants to do something about our environmental crisis but doesn't know where to begin. It is the most comprehensive movie I've seen that details how we got to where we are today in regards to how badly America is addicted to oil and how we can break the addiction. It is just packed with information! The one criticism most people have with environmental films is that they are doomsday outlooks and don't provide any solutions for what we can do. FUEL is NOT like that! It has a positive outlook and includes sooooo many different, new, and REAL solutions we can and should be working on right now in this country! FUEL is meaningful and informative and so engaging all at the same time. Everyone should see this movie to be more informed about what we should be asking for from our government in the ways of independence from oil. Go see this film and help change the world!

Important and moving documentary about America's dependence on foreign oil!

Author: abby_gwen from United States
16 October 2008

This film is amazing, beautiful and important. I believe it's this year's Inconvenient Truth but human and moving as it is Josh Tickell's personal story and currently his life mission. Everyone needs to see this film. It's is so inspiring! I am going to trade in my car for one that runs on bio-diesel because that is something I can do to cause change in this crucial area of the economy, foreign policy, the future of this planet! This film is so motivating that you are going to want to tell everyone you know to see this film and it's so timely considering the election and the current state of affairs. I usually find documentaries the cure for insomnia however FUEL is engaging and entertaining and makes you get off your butt and do something that makes a difference for our world!

Inspirational story, good information, fun music, and a different perspective,

Author: Jim Guy from United States
16 October 2008

At its recent Hollywood Premiere, the film "Fuel" brought the audience to its feet in the longest standing ovation of all its many ovations that it received at every film festival - including each of the 10 screenings at Sundance Film Festival.

This film shows the world what a small percentage of us have known for several years now: Biodiesel is available, works in any diesel vehicle, is made in America, and is better for the environment than petroleum fuels. It does not stop with biodiesel but instead, presents many sustainable energy solutions available right now for individual and planetary health, security and economic prosperity.

"Fuel" goes from Josh Tickell's time on a farm in Germany where he learned that diesel fuel can be made from vegetable and animal products, to his journey across America in the Veggie Van, to the widespread production of biodiesel from used fryer oil, to the present where new biodiesel is being made from algae and new food stocks and is available from ordinary pumps at filling stations.

The film answers the question on everyone's mind these days: Is biodiesel going to make food expensive and starve the poor? The answer is no. Biodiesel is made from oils, while the solids from the feed stock go on to be food for people and animals. The film does not suggest that biodiesel will supply all our food and energy needs. We learn the value of wind, solar, geothermal, and other clean, domestic energy sources in filling the missing pieces of the puzzle that will free us from our dependence on oil.

"Fuel" the film ...a beautifully effective message

Author: preston-valerie from United States
16 October 2008

Josh Tickell's film "FUEL" outlines the global illness created by disproportionally using petroleum fuel for energy. The viable alternative solutions information that we can all do today (unless apathy has gotten a grip on us (not me! I'm in a state of action)..) is absolutely exhilarating. Josh's great humanitarian gift of showing people how to lead themselves out of the gooey, polluting sludge and into a variety of life-style habits that put us in a higher state of mind and higher state of being is truly great...FUEL is a must for 2009 students from high school through all levels of college. In todays world we need a huge team of people committing to driving different fuels and looking for the many choices we all have to protect the natural environment that we all rely on. We all also need to join green community groups that communicate the latest information about applying the green knowledge. Spread the word about "FUEL" ..the people of the world really need this message

Outstanding!

Author: martyyura from United States
21 October 2008

FUEL is not only superbly done, with not a break in holding my attention for its entire length, but timely, pertinent and moving as well. I found myself completely engaged in following the flow of identifying the myriad of breakdowns and conspiracies of perfidy, perpetrated on sectors of our country and our planet. FUEL spoke passionately about the damage done on several levels: individual, community, region, country, world. Personal tragedies correlated with tragedies already experienced by groups and populations, and predictably will extend into the future, affecting us in ways which are likely to exceed what's currently known. And those of us who are actually aware of what's occurring are battling the giants who are continuing in the direction they've been going all along, indisputably aware of the cost to people and the environment. But the remarkable aspect of the film is that in the face of all this you're left with an opening for action, a call to stand up and do something that will forward the healing and impact us all. Now that's the way to walk out of the theater. That's what has FUEL be a film that makes a difference.

Inspiring

Author: yangchu61 from United States
21 October 2008

Fuel weaves a web of connection between US energy/petrol policy and the environmental and foreign policies that ensue from petrol dependence. Without being preachy, the narrator spins a yarn that takes him from the happy-go-lucky days of an Australian childhood to the US where he begins to mature in his views about energy and the most effective means to make a difference.

The film is stuffed with celebrities, the obligatory genuflection to a star-struck culture that can't imagine much if Cher, Willie Nelson, or Bono aren't hyping it. This aside, probably the most important aspect of the narrator's tale is how he realized that he wasn't going to get squat done if he didn't begin to work collectively. This is the most powerful message of his film. The last third of the move details all of the energy solutions afoot right now, which can be implemented with the right pressure on Congress. It's inspiring folks.

There only seemed to be one glaring error. This has to do with his calculus regarding the use of ethanol. I would suggest everyone read Alcohol Can Be a Gas for a more intelligent discussion on ethanol. The other bone to pick is the matter of environmental racism. Americans are likely more predisposed to any card but the infamous race card. The rebound effects for his own mother, however, demonstrate that good old saying by the big J himself, "That which you do to the Least of my brothers, that's what you do onto me."

See FUEL! Change your life!

Author: jessmkit from United States
30 October 2008

FUEL is a film about changing our future and making our world sustainable. "Fuel" does not only mean petroleum oil - it means everything that can create energy in our world. Everyone should see this film to learn the simple ways we can change the world and how we can (today) eliminate our dependence on foreign oil, and oil in general. FUEL is positive and uplifting; I left the movie feeling inspired and energized with ideas and solutions! Josh Tickell's story is moving and personal but it applies to all of us. He takes us around the world and gives us a taste of what is going on environmentally, and talks to celebrities who are creating change. He does a good job explaining biodiesel and how it can be economically efficient and beneficial - and seriously help America grow and self-sustain. And of course the Veggie Van is awesome! Josh actually drove across the country in this Winnebago using only used vegetable oil from fast food restaurants. FUEL is a must-see movie and is coming to us at a critical time in history - see it now! It will change your life!

Environmentalism for the Non-Environmentalist

Author: eminnm-1 from United States
30 October 2008

This movie is presented in an incredibly fair and open manner. It takes a serious look at the effects of fuel on our economy, our environment, and our foreign policy. Regardless of ones prior feelings about environmental issues this movie will make you realize that our current reliance on petroleum is not an option. Whether it be due to the effects of fuel, or the fact there just won't be any fuel left in the near future, this realization will come.

Once this realization hits, the viewer is left searching for a solution and the movie provides it magnificently. It not only provides the options but it takes a realistic and honest look at each one of them. It addresses the negatives of classic corn-based ethanol and shows algae based based biofuel that not only has no CO2 emissions, but also reduces global CO2 levels as it grows. The movie not only talks about fuel but also talks about all of the things needed to solve our energy crisis such as public transportation and sustainable energy such as wind and solar.

I had very little interest in the environment before seeing this movie and this movie completely revolutionized my thinking. My father is right-wing religious. Before seeing this movie he believed that environmental issues are just left-wing paranoia. After seeing it he told me he strongly had to rethink his views and re-prioritize the issues he cares about and votes on.

I strongly recommend this movie to any critical thinkers regardless of their prior opinions about fuel & the environment.

"Fuel" Best Practices Can Solve Global Economic Collapse, Environmental Energy Crisis, and Security Risks - For Rich and Poor

Author: Deborah Dupre from United States
24 October 2008

If one 2008 film can transform today's world to one where human and planetary health, national and global security, and human rights are restored peacefully, it's "Fuel." This film is about everyone working together to develop and use the vast array of clean, safe, sustainable energy solutions available right now.

Lesson learned in "Fuel" related to the biodiesel "food for fuel" disinformation campaign to halt biodiesel production, is that next generation food-free biodiesel, such as algae, desert grass and Camelina grown on non-agricultural land, are paramount to global sustainable energy solutions. Keeping biodiesel technology but not the old way of making it is a key to today's economic, environmental, and security issues. Throwing the baby out with the bath water has never been a humane solution. It appears that some groups are intent on causing the average person to think the contrary - about both biodiesel and babies. That's why "Fuel" needs to be seen by most Americans; the sooner the better for humanity. "Fuel" leaves no question about what is morally right. Not only that, it inspires and motivates with its compassionate, evidence-based, solution-driven demonstrations.

Without seeing "Fuel," it seems too few Westerners, the "haves," realize the rich opportunities and justified hope that next generation biodiesel offers to not only them, but also to Earth's poorest of the poor. Many of the poor, such as Australian Aborigines who are among Earth's oldest living cultures now living in Least Developing conditions, could benefit from producing and using biodiesel. We hear complaints in the U.S. of high fuel prices, but most of these people at this point in the global economic collapse, still go and do. High oil prices for the world's poorest Peoples means they do not go or do. For those already experiencing high level suffering due to unemployment and associated disease, too expensive or no oil often means no transportation for services and supplies to survive. War on the Third World need not continue for the haves to continue having.

Locally produced biodiesel can help change the inhumane scenario of the poor and hungry to one of hope and health. Thanks to leadership of "Fuel" producer and one man in Least Developing Pacific Island Nation, Vanuatu, Tony Deamer, ni-Van buses run on coconut oil. The abundance of coconuts formerly left to rot on Vanuatu beaches now supply Deamer's biodiesel station; generate employment and income to locals that had neither; and are helping restore clean air to Port Villa - not to mention that streets now have a sweet scent similar to toasted coconut candy.

After a "Fuel" screening, a small group of biodiesel advocates explained that they had learned from and then followed footsteps of "Fuel" director. They now travel the world to Least Developed condition communities teaching Indigenous tribal villagers how to produce biodiesel so their villages have: fuel for their village tractor so they can grow their food more efficiently; fuel for their community generator for desperate needs such as water; fuel for their village school bus so their children can learn; and fuel for emergency trips to their far-off hospital to save a life. We in "developed nation" communities would now do well learning sustainable living from these villagers.

During "Fuel, there were roars of laughter, clapping, cheering, and wiping of tears upon seeing pain and suffering that we are complicit in committing when we fill our tanks with oil. After "Fuel," the standing ovation was longest I've ever seen. These are well-deserved rewards of a special young man who experienced as a boy the suffering deliberately induced by Big Oil profiteers. He vowed to offer a better choice to humanity.

The strong, favorable, audience responses to "Fuel" are due to that one young man's courageous determination to make a difference. Over twelve years, he demonstrated that focused determination to help halt suffering from petrochemical related injuries in his mother's home state, Louisiana, our great nation, America and the world. Those years of dedication and hard work are reflected in this amazing work of theatrical art.

Seeing "Fuel" is empowers, leaving viewers knowing that a better standard of living is possible for all of humanity. It's right here at our fingertips. Perhaps the most favorable "Fuel" response of all was made by several teachers: "This film should be screened in EVERY school in the United States!" Congratulations to everyone that contributed to "Fuel," especially to that special young man, one of my two great sons, Joshua Dupre' Tickell.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]