IMDb > Easy Money (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snabba cash

Easy Money More at IMDbPro »Snabba cash (original title)

Yes, it works!

Author: stensson from Stockholm, Sweden
17 January 2010

Had big doubts when I came. Had less doubts when I left and they were of another kind. But, big surprise, Swedish film industry has produced a gangster thriller which is on international level, although not the highest.

The business school student here is too fascinated by suburban immigrant mobster life. And he wants the money involved, so he gets into the racket. He's a solitaire in that kind of life, which of course (what did you expect?) is told in a cliché way, but the people you meet aren't just monsters, running the evil machine or being part of it. They are somewhat believable and so is the gloomy mood in this environment.

What happens is rather foreseeable, but it's anyway a quite intelligent movie about crime and criminals. It could have been much much worse.

Great flick

Author: Daniel from Sweden
25 July 2010

A really good action thriller with interesting characters. I do NOT think that they are plain stereotypes without Drott. On the contrary. You feel for them and it's easy to get engaged in their lives and all they experience.

The movie manages to bring forth some very sensitive moments as well as very brutal scenes with realistic violence. I especially likes the lighting when it comes to the technical part of Snabba Cash. I also liked the shots of some of the dialogue which i found innovative without being over the top. They made it very interesting to watch.

I usually look the other when it comes to Swedish movies but I really enjoyed this one.

I say watch it.

Dose of reality

Author: sergepesic from Minneapolis, USA
16 June 2014

Fortunately, thriller is not dead. Hollywood thriller is a desiccated corpse. It somehow keeps plodding stealing good ideas from around a world. This movie is awaiting a remake in Hollywood. Can't wait to see that disaster. What makes this Swedish thriller fresh and original is the hefty dose of reality and interest in it's characters. They are not just a bunch of crooks and psychopaths, they are human too. Young Swede with expensive tastes and little money, Chilean criminal with dreams and the Serbian enforcer with an 8-year daughter to care for. We see the glimpse of what they are made of. Nothing overly heavy and preachy, but just enough to fell real and plausible. And that is what Hollywood doesn't do. The audience they aim for, pimply, computer game addicted, 14 year olds just don't have the patience for anything else apart from explosions and non-stop action. So, thankfully comes this brilliant flick with 2 sequels to follow.

The very fine original before the inevitable Hollywood remake.

Author: TheSquiss
2 August 2013

Easy Money (or Snabba Cash to give it its original Swedish title) was originally released in Sweden in 2010, a full three years before it reached the UK, by which time the sequel (snappily entitled Snabba Cash II) had already been out for a year in Scandinavia. Perhaps that at least ensures we won't need to wait too long to find out what happens to the surviving characters.

With three strands that entwine into a single story, Easy Money is a violent, at times bloody, peek under the tarpaulin that covers the Serbian mafia and its nefarious dealings with drugs and murder. JW (Joel Kinnaman) is a clean-cut law student with money issues until the opportunity to run drugs ends the former and resolves the latter. With a girlfriend, Sophie (Lisa Henni), from the right side of town and employers from the wrong side, his life becomes complicated and very tense. Caught between Jorge (Mateas Varela), a fugitive on the run from the cops and the Serbian mafia, and Mrado (Dragomir Mrsic) a mafia hard man, JW winds up in some very deep do-do indeed…

Easy Money carves up the screen in a similar vein to this year's Dead Man Down but lacks the panache. Where as Colin Farrell's film had a certain smoothness to the violence, this is gritty and unfinished. It feels a little rushed at times but that's part of the attraction. You really don't want to mess with any of these characters. Ever.

It's very easy to like JW, even though everything screams that he's a fool who is willingly corrupting himself. It doesn't take a genius to work out there'll be serious consequences come the end of the film, but for whom? Kinnaman, who boosted his international profile with The Killing, is on excellent form here. Think Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Match Point only better. Much, much better.

The characters are rounded well enough for us to step back from them but not so much that they appear sculpted film characters rather than raw, unpleasant lowlifes who'll blow you away if it's ever a threat to their survival.

Easy Money is always compelling and the two-hour running time whizzes by in an instant. Alas, by sheer dint of it being in foreign language, it is unlikely to garner much of an audience in the UK and USA; I was the sole occupant of the cinema last night and, whilst it was a joy for me, it doesn't bode well for the chances of the sequel hitting Bristol.

For the philistines who are unable to watch and read the screen simultaneously, Easy Money is good enough to have been awarded an unnecessary Hollywood remake staring Zac Effron. I have nothing against Effron, on the contrary, he impressed me in The Paperboy last year, it's just that Hollywood does have a tendency to take excellent foreign language films and mutilate them. Disagree? Compare and contrast Let The Right One In with Let Me In, or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its remake, or the Hollywood adaptation of TV's The Killing, or…

When will Hollywood learn? Stop remaking the great films and TV series and take a look at those that should have been good but bombed. I'm not judging the remake of Easy Money before the cameras even start rolling but, take it from me, it's unlikely to improve on the original. It's certainly no date movie, but a gritty thriller that will happily consume any Friday night.

For more reviews from The Squiss, subscribe to my blog and like the Facebook page.

Greed and Fear in a drug deal

Author: SnoopyStyle
30 January 2014

JW (Joel Kinnaman) is a poor economics student who is dabbing in questionable money making schemes while faking a double life with his rich acquaintances. He falls for the rich Sophie (Lisa Henni). Jorge (Matias Varela) has just escaped from jail. JW and Jorge is working for the Albanian drug lord Abdulkarim who is trying to put together a big shipment. Meanwhile Mrado (Dragomir Mrsic) is a Serbian enforcer. The Serbian are going to war with Abdulkarim but Mrado has a new responsibility in his daughter and he's planning a final score to get out of it all.

Mrado says that people start becoming greedy and scared. That's what I love about this story. Everybody is a bastard. Nobody is safe. JW thinks he's smarter than he actually is, and he never truly understands that he's expendable. I love how Jorge breaks it all down for JW, and the two men's complicated relationship. There are no angels here, just survivors.

Twisty Swedish thriller that tells the story of a working class Swedish college student who becomes involved in the drug trade

Author: ma-cortes
26 September 2012

¨Easy cash¨is an absorbing crime tale with electricity pumping through its veins , being based on the novel James Ellroy Calls. An epic European thriller to rival Stieg Larsson .The Swedish import (with the cooler name Snabba Cash) arrives in North America after filling box office coffers in its Norwegian homeland. The film opens with Jorge (Matias Varela) staging a daring prison break (despite only having a year left on his sentence), and subsequently falling right back into the world of drugs and violence that clearly got him locked up in the first place. But a move like that never comes without consequences, as we meet Mrado (Dragomir Mrsic) who has suddenly found . When JW (Joel Kinnaman) becomes a drug runner in order to maintain his double life, his fate becomes tied to two other men: Jorge, a fugitive on the run from both the Serbian mafia and the police, and mafia enforcer Mrado, who is on the hunt for Jorge . JW has more than his next fare in mind as he wants to escape his lower middle class past and starving student present. Opportunity comes knocking when a friend offer him a chance to deal with dark businesses . A multi-cultural pursuit of happiness thanks to cocaine begins with Jonah "Jw" Westlund . Living a double life, J.W. gets in over his head, falling for an heiress (Lisa Henni) and becoming more and more embroiled in criminal activity.

it's incredibly stylish action/drama movie , a rattling good thriller with potentially global appeal . It is entirely criminal world , beautifully rendered and wildly thrilling . This is a sharp-eyed Swedish crime drama , "Snabba Cash," retitled "Easy Money" for North American audiences by The Weinstein Company who has picked it up for U.S. release, one has to to first note its trajectory . Already a hit in Sweden where it was released at the beginning of 2010, the picture's taut, intense and propulsive momentum caught the attention of audiences . This dazzler of a movie is right in his wheelhouse, given that it's about urban criminals with moral codes and strong ethnic identities, plus there's plenty of violence . Good performance by Joel Kinnaman as a finance student by day and drug runner by night to help afford the expensive lifestyle of his wealthy circle of friends . Kinnaman, who also stars in AMC's "The Killing," and will star in the remake of "RoboCop" . The motion picture presented by Martin Scorsese was well realized by director Daniel Espinosa , though being slowly paced and sometimes a little bit boring . Only a few Swedish films cross the pond and get a stateside release , on of them is ¨Easy cash¨ getting success around the world . As Swedish hit as well as hit U.S. theaters , considering that a little feat that the crime drama pulled at the Swedish box office which caught the eye of more than a few Hollywood producers. Sweden has already celebrated the first installment, giving the film three Guldbagges (the country's equivalent of an Oscar), including a win for Kinnaman for Best Actor, and moved on to the second, "Snabba Cash II," with the same artistic and technician .Director Daniel Espinosa replaces a bit of bada-bing with class warfare, thanks to the international wise guy film . Espinosa earned critical acclaim and subsequently hired by Hollywood , where has directed the successful ¨Safe house¨ with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds .

Stylish, intelligent thriller

Author: Ruben Mooijman from Ghent, Belgium
10 April 2011

This is a stylish, intelligent thriller with good camera-work and lots of visual style. I liked the way the movie shows international crime as a very ugly business, without rules and with lots of violence. The way a greedy young student is slowly drawn into a world that is clearly not his, is intriguing. Some elements make this film stand out above the usual Hollywood-flicks - for example the way one of the criminals treats his little daughter. This is a nice thriller that doesn't slow down, with lots of action scenes and twists. It could have done without the hardly believable love story, but I can imagine the director needed to compensate the violence with some softer scenes.

Naive business student learns the hard way that an illegal business has different characteristics than a legal one

Author: msroz from United States
30 June 2012

In this neo-noir, a poor, naive, Swedish business student who wants money, if only to be able to romance a rich girl and hold his head high among her set and parents, uses his knowledge of banking to get in cahoots with a gang that's trying to make it in the drug business in Sweden. This gang is Muslim-Albanian, and the "hero" (Joel Kinnaman) cements his entry by saving one of its key figures (Matias Varela) from death at the hands of a rival Serbian gang, represented mainly by Dragomir Mrsic.

The script, whether intentionally or not, brings out, although it could have gone even more deeply into this, that in the nature of it, an illegal business differs vastly from a legal business. Kinnaman does not realize this. He goes at it with the more or less standard values of cooperation and trust. He finds out that this simply does not work. Much of the story is about the hot water he finds himself in as the competing gangs move forward toward the importation of a cocaine shipment. Before the movie is over, he doesn't know whom to trust or how exactly to extricate himself or deal with the criminal minds that he is involved with.

The movie goes out of its way to humanize the criminals and introduce in the viewer ambiguous feelings toward the criminals, so that the naive viewer will also be having reactions that to some extent mirror those of Kinnaman. A more experienced viewer will step back and realize what makes a bad guy a bad guy, and that a bad guy can be just as charming or treat his dog just as kindly as a good guy.

The acting was good. The story telling was a bit demanding at first. The viewer is not spoon fed. This added to the movie, I think.

My main criticism is that the "hero" was too naive and/or too paralyzed to know what to do. The script recognized this and tried to foreclose the most obvious lever at his disposal, which was the bank laundering arrangement that he had provided the gang.

I thought that the script was ambitious, took some risks, and had some novelty. That and the acting make this a pretty good film.

Beginning of a saga?

Author: kosmasp
27 November 2012

When I first watched this I had no idea this was going to become a trilogy. I'm pretty sure the original filmmakers didn't expect this to become one either. I didn't feel there was something impending that would spawn two sequels to this. Nothing serious at least, because (almost) every movie could be followed up by something.

The main actor here is really good and has to pull off a really vicious and mean turn. But he succeeds in doing so. The action is more than decent, but it's more the thrill and the overall sense the movie embodies that will get you on the edge of your seat (probably). Good acting overall of course and a very good direction (no wonder Hollywood called and the director went on to work with Denzel Washington on Safe House)

Very good adaptation of a great book!

Author: Jona1988 from Finland
19 November 2010

The first time I saw this film I had just finished the book. Simply loved the book so I was really looking forward to the movie adaptation. With successful adaptations of great books such as The girl with the dragon tattoo in fresh memory. Sadly I found myself kind of disappointed. The problem according to me was how they had handled the material. Compared to quite a lot of Swedish films based on books Snabba cash deviates more from the source material. I found this very unexpected. I understand that you can't bring the entire book to the big screen but there were several changes that I just couldn't grip why were made. So far that a couple of the character felt vastly different to their counterparts in the book. Rather than based on the book I would call this film inspired by it. Maybe they decided to take the parts they liked in the book and make something out of it that was there own.

Some time later I saw the film again and I decided to try be more objective, not keep irritating myself over the changes. Take it for what it is and not what it should be. I found it a very well made film. The thing they have really captured is the atmosphere and tone, which really feel like what the book also did so great. The music is well chosen and helps greatly to create the right feel. The acting is good, there are some parts mainly in the beginning which feel somewhat stiff and not entirely satisfactory but it's just minor complaints. Joel Kinnaman is pretty much as I imagined JW, however the actor which makes the best performance is Dragomir Mrsic even if I'm not sure if he is like I imagined the character in the book. I was very surprised in a positive way by the action. Impressively done with great suspense. Still the script is not without flaws. The pace is fast so one might not catch how everything works. There are some plot points from the book that are mentioned briefly but then not explored further. I think they should have simply left these parts out since but maybe they will be brought up in the sequel. But still it's just small flaws. What I like about script is the dialogue, "Las Vegas baby", brilliantly written.

Despite my complaints Snabba Cash is in the end a very well made and greatly entertaining film. Sure I imagine some things might have been better but flaws aside it is overall more than satisfying. As a film on it's own Snabba Cash is very good.