IMDb > Warrior (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Warrior

Warrior More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 54: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A gripping sports movie with great emotional power

Author: Brian Berta from United States
25 August 2015

The sports genre isn't exactly the best genre around. There are some classics like Rocky and Raging Bull but most modern ones seem to have the same problems. They reuse the same clichés, they barely feel original at all, and most of them are predictable from the very start. But every now and then, a good sports movie comes out. Million Dollar Baby was an inspirational movie with a shocking and heartbreaking finale and 42 was well-acted, well-written, and pretty original in terms of clichés. Then there's Warrior.

After ex-marine Tommy Conlon returns home, his father trains him to enlist for SPARTA, the biggest wrestling event in martial arts history. But he finds out that he has to go up against his brother.

This movie contains a simple plot which may not seem too impressive but the way its emotional power moves you is how impressive it is. Both brothers are damaged in their own way and we witness how they cope with their problems throughout the movie. At the end, they finally confront and face off in an unforgettable climax which will blow you away.

This movie is made better by its terrific acting. Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy both give terrific performances. Their performances are emotionally powerful and they engage the viewer to the movie's plot. Hardy may be known for playing Bane but he plays his performance in this movie much better. It's a shame that this isn't the movie which got him famous.

As for the music, the score is really nothing special as it consists mostly of tunes we've already heard of but the soundtrack is the shining part to it. It contains a huge range of note and chords and it perfectly sets the mood for certain scenes. Some scenes like the ending wouldn't be as good without its soundtrack.

As much as I'd like to call this movie a masterpiece, there is only one thing I didn't like about it. I didn't really feel that the military aspect was necessary for 1 reason. It wasn't really necessary for a sports movie given what was going on in it. It felt kind of out of place and it could've been left out. It served kind of as a distraction from the main plot also.

So in conclusion, this is an amazing sports movie which shows that while the sports genre isn't as amazing as it once was, it's not completely long gone. This is an amazing movie. It could've been a masterpiece without the military aspect but it's still definitely worth a watch because of how well-written it is.

One of the best movies of 2011

Author: ranahammadzaheer
11 June 2015

If you like Sports Drama Genre, this is the best of best... Tom Hardy was spectacular in this movie. Story was pretty amazing narrated too. If you really liked Million Dollar Baby, this is the next level of heartbreaking and emotionally satisfied s**t.

Haunted by a tragic past, ex-Marine Tommy Conlon (Hardy) returns home for the first time in fourteen years to enlist the help of his father (Nick Nolte) to train for SPARTA, the biggest winner-takes- all event in mixed martial arts history. A former wrestling prodigy, Tommy blazes a path toward the championship while his brother, Brendan (Edgerton), an ex-fighter-turned teacher, returns to the ring in a desperate bid to save his family from financial ruin. But when Brendan's unlikely, underdog rise sets him on a collision course with the unstoppable Tommy, the two brothers must finally confront each other and the forces that pulled them apart, facing off in the most soaring, soul stirring, and unforgettable climax that must be seen to be believed.

If you haven't seen warrior, you have seen nothing

Author: Soman Khan from Pakistan
9 February 2015

Movie starts like an average story, a guy (Joel)facing financial problems and having bad times with him filling up mortgage loan. And on a parallel, an ex-marine (Tom Hardy) shows up at his father's home drinking. He wants to fight in championship and want his father to be his trainer. Joel goes to a bar fight leading him into detention for one semester from his teaching career. He has no other option, other than fighting championship. In the meanwhile Tom is messing up with his dad because they had family issues all their life. And it turns out Joel and Tom are brothers for real. Championship starts, both Joel and Tom make their ways to final. But final is the real climax. Real brothers have to fight each other to win championship title. Last fight is the reality of life, you have to take some actions sometimes you really don't wanna do. Fighting real brother, that will burst you into tears. Just feel it, just feel how hard is to beet your brother.

Rocky Is Defeated... On Points.

Author: Mike Lovell from Bristol, UK
2 January 2015

As a 40-something movie addict, I've been waiting the best part of my life to watch a fight film that could trade blows with what I considered to be the best of them, that being Rocky - the first one that is, don't get me started on the rest.

To be totally honest, I didn't expect to find a challenger in Warrior - I hadn't even heard of it until a few days ago and despite the high praise it has received here at IMDb, I was still extremely cynical. The benchmark set in Rocky is so high, that every other fight film I sit down to watch is almost doomed before I press play, and invariably they fall down.

Finally I can say that there is a new champion, and Warrior is it. I won't go into lengthy detail, suffice to say it has everything that Rocky has but just that little bit more on each and every level. Emotionally, technically and acting wise Warrior does not relent, and the 2hr 20m runtime literally flies by, leaving the viewer completely shell-shocked, exhausted and begging for another hour - the mark of a true gem.

A genuine tour-de-force that will have you screaming at the screen, the hair standing on the back of your neck and your pulse racing - regardless of whether or not you like sports films. I'll be watching this again, back-to-back with the newly deposed Rocky very soon - and you should too.

The king is dead - long live the Warrior. 9.1 / 10

Fighting

Author: kosmasp
5 August 2014

A movie called Warrior, well you know where this is heading. Even if there is also a philosophical side to the title (a more spiritual one so to speak). Tom Hardy got a lot of recognition for this, but Nick Nolte and our other main character are as good in this. We have two people who will engage each other, having a common issue. It's not a spoiler to write it, you'll find out soon enough (or guess it), but I'll let you do that for yourself.

We established this is very nicely acted, but it's the story that matters. The past that is still haunting the present and holds some people down, so they're not able to continue to explore the "future". Shackles can be metaphorical too. And in this case it seems almost impossible to get rid of them. A drama that also has some fine action scenes in it ... More than worth a look

A triumph.

Author: thomasflint93 from United Kingdom
12 July 2014

Having just watched this film I feel it is necessary for me to do a review of this straight away.

Brutal, tense, emotional, meaningful. It tugs at the heartstrings like very few movies this one, there is one fight in particular which I will not spoil but it's by far one of the most intense, vicious fights I have ever seen on screen. The way in which it is filmed is fantastic and really adds to the emotional impact. By the end of it I found myself dripping in sweat and on the verge of tears - incredible.

This film is exactly what it sets out to be and more. It's dramatic and it's action packed. It's impressive without being cheesy and in my eyes is an absolute triumph.

Film Making at its Best

Author: karakovacs47 from toronto
11 July 2014

Such an incredible movie. I decided to watch it after I saw the rating of 8.3 on IMDb, as well as my love for some of the actors in it. It was powerful, emotional, and had amazing fight scenes in it. I actually didn't know how it was going to end, which was a nice change of pace. The most brilliant thing about this movie was the amount of emotion it was able to convey with the simplest of actions. Tommy lying with his drunk dad. A nod that Paddy gives to Brendan. You will walk away feeling awestruck and moved. I have seen other fighting movies, some good (Million Dollar Baby), and some bad (the Fighter), and this is definitely one of the best ones I've ever seen.

Very emotional and very moving

Author: Alec Miller
27 February 2014

Warrior depicted a great view on the every day lives of two brothers. The fact that they were both raised in a bad environment together really adds to the emotional feeling while i watched this movie. Brendan a man in his early forty's interpreted a struggling man with financial problems with a family to worry about. Tommy, the youngest brother, went A-Wall in the military and has been hiding out in his home town. Tommy had promised a friend that if anything happened to him, Tommy would take care of his friends family. With each brother having a need for a big pay day, the Sparta Tournament drew the brothers together. Their father, a former drunk, tries desperately to communicate with Brendan. Brendan wants nothing to do with the old man due to problems in the past. The boy's father ends up training Tommy for the Sparta Tourney. Both determined to win the tournament, the brothers end up in the finals, fighting each other for the prize money. The emotional spectrum of this event just overwhelms any person/persons watching this movie. Brendan desperately tries to get Tommy to tap out, but Tommy pushes on, determined to win. Brendan puts both of Tommy's arms out of their socket. After crippling his brother, Brendan finally becomes victorious...leading his brother out of the cage....even though Tommy is to be taken into custody by military personnel. The overall feeling that the brothers are finally back together after years of fighting and not talking..it is just outstanding!!! This movie shoots over my expectations for a MMA movie!!

Wonderful cinematic experience!

Author: CharlieGreenCG from United Kingdom
31 December 2013

Not being a huge fan of mixed martial art movies I was not too interested in seeing this movie. There is really only one reason I went and saw it, Tom Hardy. Since his amazing performance in Bronson in 2008 he has been on my radar and I was interested in seeing more of him. Warrior turned out to be a sports that I was surprised by and thoroughly enjoyed.

The movie itself sees ex-marine Tommy Riordan (Tom Hardy), return to his hometown of Pittsburgh and enlist his father (Nick Nolte), a recovering alcoholic to train him for an worldwide MMA tournament 'Sparta'. As Tommy blazes a violent path towards the title prize, his brother, Brendan (Joel Edgerton), a former MMA fighter unable to make ends meet as a school teacher returns to the ring to provide for his family. The two brothers eventually collide in the final of the tournament and battle out who will be the winner.

The acting from the three main performers were outstanding. Nick Nolte stars as a supporting actor, but through his emotions and style of acting steals every scene that he is present in. Both Hardy and Edgerton have bulked up for their roles, and they portray emotional characters that you do not usually see them present, which was an unusual surprise. The film has two protagonists, and with both getting equal screen time the viewers are able to chose in who they want to win. Structurally the film offers a similar path to 'The Fighter' released in 2009, however the twist from this is that the two brothers end up fighting each other and for the same prize. The film is building up and up to the tournament, but the film is greatly drawn on the journey, as so the destination.

The greatness of Warrior doesn't stop here, the soundtrack to the movie, by Mark Isham proves to be quite fitting and it suites the films action style; With included tracks by The Nationals the films ending is built up well and allows you to leave you the cinema knowing that you have just seen a good film. The actual fights of the movie, in the Sparta tournaments was the highlight of the film. They were shot with such direction that you feel in the middle of the action, you feel for the characters, you feel part of the crowd, and it makes you want to cheer with them. There is no sight of those silly camera angles and quick shots to hid the actual fighting and make it look real, the technique used shows all and does it expertly. This film contains a blend of action, emotion and fighting, which is a full package for an enjoyable movie. You will be grabbed by the very first scene to the ending of the movie. Don't miss a chance to see Warrior! .. it stands at the top of the fighting movies among the ranks of Rocky.

The Best Fight Movie You'll Ever See... I Doubt It.

Author: Richard Alex Jenkins from Brazil
23 December 2013

I've given the movie 8-stars because it is top quality entertainment, no doubt about that, but I do have a few minor criticisms.

A movie should never sow doubts of credibility in your mind. When this happens you lose the illusion that you're there, that it's really happening, the immersion factor, which is what happened to me.

I'm not a huge fan of MMA or UFC simply because I don't have regular access to it, but I do watch three or four fights from time to time. So where was the blood? Sometimes there can be pools of the stuff. My biggest criticism though was the three arm lock victories IN A ROW. Do you think it's easy to win by an arm lock tap-out victory? Sure, one quick punch, or flurry of punches can end a fight quickly, but not three arm locks against three different opponents. Also, the final, where Conlan (the arm lock expert) breaks his brother's arm to effectively win the tournament, was a little too much one trick pony for me. OK, it's perfectly feasible to win an MMA fight with an arm lock tap-out, but that third victory was the spell-breaking moment of the film.

Normally when I'm thrown out of my believability zone so heavily, I downgrade my review to a six or seven, but up until then this was 9.5 material. I'm disappointed because this could have become a repeat watching experience, growing in stature each time, instead of being a good film, worth the entry fee, but ultimately flawed.

With heavy heart, this film sinks into the pack of decent fight films, but nothing more.