IMDb > Warrior (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Warrior More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 52: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Old Genre / New Life

Author: frankenbenz from Sydney, Australia
7 March 2013

The sports genre has become as much of a cliché as the many clichés it has spawned: Rocky's Theme, Eye of the Tiger, etc. At this stage of the game, breathing new life into this old genre and sucking in an audience while surprising them along the way, is next to a near impossible feat. Somehow, writer/director Gavin O'Connor has pulled it off with the MMA masterpiece Warrior.

Despite its complete checklist of boxing film / sports movie clichés, Warrior reaches so far beyond these clichés it practically redefines them. While respectful to reference (the original) Rocky, O'Connor legitimizes Warrior as a serious film, crafting it with visual and thematic nods to Michael Cimino's grand epic The Deer Hunter. Simply put, this isn't a sports film for meatheads (not that it won't please them), this is a sports film for audiences hungry for stark cinematic realism.

Burgeoning superstar Tom Hardy (once again) mesmerizes as the tortured lead Tommy Conlon, who -- along with Nick Nolte and Joel Edgerton -- make up a three headed beast with lethal acting chops. For a film I expected to detest, Warrior proved itself to be as big of an underdog champion as the unorthodox heroes it portrays.

no Top 250 material

Author: gvo2 from Netherlands
16 December 2011

Definitely no IMDb Top 250 material, this movie doesn't belong there.

The movie is way to patriotic and the fighting scene(s) didn't impress, nor did the storyline and acting, the 'best' fighting scene was shown right at the beginning, thats where it should have ended, the rest was boring.

I do not understand some of the reviewers here shouting THIS IS THE BEST SINCE ROCKY OR EVEN BETTER! It's just a sadly weak infusion, it doesn't keep you on the tip of your chair, instead you fight you're own battle against the boredom that's kicking in...better sleep it off and hope you will quickly forget what you just saw.

Now that i'm thinking of it, that 5 was actually too generous of me......

It's not worth more than 5.5 rating

Author: azzliberty from Edison, NJ
14 January 2012

I don't understand how this movie got 8.3 rating which is more than Scarface and the Sixth Sense got. It is just an average scenario with a horrible ending, too long and boring dialogs. There were 10 of us who watched this movie, 8 of us didn't get the movie. The three characters have problems with each other but no one knows what their problems are, and movie ends like that. Nothing interesting in this movie. I trusted around 45 thousand users' rating and rented this movie but I regretted. If you are a movie lover, just stay away this movie and don't waste your time. It's not worth more than 5.5 rating. It is just an ordinary movie.

Warrior is on a Warpath! What an awesome movie! It was a knockout!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
3 January 2016

This amazing family drama movie from 2011 made megastars out of then-unknown actors, Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy. Both really put great performances in and out of the ring. Both really took a beaten, to make the cage fighting seem real. Edgerton suffer from a torn MCL, while Tom Hardy suffered a broken toe, broken ribs, and a broken finger. It takes a lot of guts just to do that. Not only does Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy, make very brutality and believable gritty fights, but I love how both were able to touch the heart-strings as well. The intensity from both of them, made this movie, very entertaining. Directed by Gavin O'Connor, the movie tells the stories of two estranged brothers, Troubled Iraq vet, Tommy Conlon (Tom Hardy) & unemployed and indebt teacher, Brendan Conlon (Joel Edgerton) who enter a Mixed Martial Arts tournament to compete with each other, for their own good moral reasons. Who is going to win? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie, too much, I love the fact, that the movie doesn't make, a bad seed out of Tommy or Brendan. Both characters have their faults, and their good side. However, I do believe that their one-dimensional fighting styles, don't really match up with their personality. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to see, Tom Hardy all buff out and knocking people out, with his striking ability, but it makes little to no sense in the context of the character's history. After all, wasn't this man once a former wrestling prodigy? Wouldn't he be, doing more takes down, and arm holds than his brother, Brendan!? I don't get it! Another problem with the film is the huge gaps in logic within the story structure. A good example is how Tommy even got back to the US, if he supposedly went AWOL in Iraq. You would think, that wouldn't be easy. Another problem with the film is how the film, has no epilogue, so we never see the repercussions of Tommy's desertion nor find out what becomes of the family he promised to support. What happen to them!? Brendan's story arch isn't any better. Brendan being forced into fighting by economic reasons, to supplement his income is bit of a joke. It doesn't make any sense, since most amateur fighters make little to no money at all. Most of them, pursuit this dangerous career, because it's their dream job. Brendan had no reason to go back into fighting; after all, he was a physic teacher! Colleges would pay, good money for his teaching ability. Brendan's main flaw is his pride. His absolute refusal to file for bankruptcy or move to a smaller house, even though his wife, Tess (Jennifer Morrison) would rather take that option than watch him risk his life in the ring is be too selfish than inspiring to watch. I know, that Brendan Conlon was based off, real-life math teacher turn UFC fighter, Rich Franklin, but unlike Brendan in the film, Franklin went from teaching math to fighting, because his love for the sport, not economic reason. In my opinion, it would make more sense that Brendan went back into fighting, because that's what he wanted to do; not because he had to. Another thing that seem a bit illogically in the film is how both men whom seem, a bit amateurism in their fighting records, were able to get into the Sparta winner-takes-all competition at all. You would think, that a high-profile, winner-takes-all competition with a $5 million purse would be fill with more season trained fighters than amateur fighters. The mixer of amateurs with mostly unsanctioned fighting records with pro-fighters seem a bit too jarring to be taken seriously. It's like if Daniel LaRusso from 1984's Karate Kid was against Martial Arts Master, Bruce Lee. It's kinda unbelievable to see that ever happening in real life. Although the competition action sequences takes itself pretty realistically; there were too many terrible calls from the ref and judges to make any the fights in this film, seem 100% realistic in real fighting accuracy. I give the movie, more like 75% in that. Still, the idea that a MMA sport event is a brutal blood sport where competitors are able to continue to fight with a broken arm is also a highly doubtful probability. I know that it was played up for dramatic effect, but in reality, getting your arm broken would result in an immediate stoppage, no matter how much you want to continue fighting. While, I have to say, the performances in the ring were really great, despite some flaws, I have to say, that the performances out of the ring, were a little better. Most of the best parts in the film, are the interactions between the family members. The movie deals with some weighty mature content that most people might find, a little too uneasily, to watch. The conflicted relationship between fathers and sons, the estrangement of brothers, PTSD, alcoholism, inferiority, abandonment issues and family debts are all melodrama clichés used at its best. Nick Nolte as the boys' father, Paddy, a retired, recovering alcoholic boxer is outstanding. I was really glad, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, for this role, that year. His recovery and his will to redeem himself, made for a very inspiring side story. Another great part of this film is the soundtrack by Mark Isham. The track 'Listening to the Beethoven', is amazing. Not only that, but the music that came along with it, such as the band, the Natural's song 'About Today" was gripping to hear. Overall: This underdog emotional fighting story was a major hit for me. Tons of manly tears from me. A great inspiring punch, to knock some sense in you, if you're feeling out of the fight. A must-watch.

One of the greatest sports movies made

Author: Cameron Austin
24 December 2015

My mind was completely blown after seeing this film. Everything about it from my point of view was very close to perfect, and I would go as far as saying that "Warrior" was even better than the original Rocky film.

I knew I was in for a treat before I started watching this film, but i didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. The writing was great, the direction and cinematography were great and the acting was just mind-blowing. It was the type of movie that left you on the edge of your seat throughout almost all of it, and is a great mix of dramatic and inspiring moments. The fact that it only grossed $23 million on a $25 million budget causes you to wonder what people where doing when this hunk of deliciousness came out.

I would recommend this film to almost anyone who likes watching decent drama films, even if they aren't a sports fan. I haven't seen 'Southpaw' or 'Creed' yet, but I doubt that they will be as impressive and memorable as Warrior.

One more American lousy movie

Author: MIka DJoredjevic from Serbia
28 November 2015

The story is good, but I must admit that I am very disappointed with the course of this movie.I don't care for happy end,I really get upset when i saw that the teacher who wasn't fought for several years win this competition.When opponents hits him,it is like they hitting a rock.When Tommy Conlon and Koba(professional fighter) fight with other opponents they falls after only one punch,but when they fight with the Brendan Conlon they punched him a hundred times in the head,but he looks like he is just got up,and ready for work.It is impossible to down him.Maybe if they had drown some bulldozer in the cage they would have knocked him down,but I doubt.Common men,give me some reality here.I'm really start to thinking to train boxing next two months and challenge Klitschko,it is a very ''real'' for me to win that match.I just want reality in some parts.Only for that I gave this movie a lousy mark.

This movie deserves more recognition

Author: boney thomas from United Kingdom
22 March 2015

I was really fortunate to watch this movie today. I have heard of this movie but was not a big fan of Tom Hardy but somehow I decided to watch it. I consider this as one of the best sports movie ever made. The film started slow to establish the characters in our mind but second half was really fast. I was crying in last few scenes and I have to really say that the film had its moments. My misconceptions about Tom Hardy got changed and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Nick Nolte,Joel Edgerton and Frank Grillo. MMA fight choreography was really original,some scenes I was so worried by the beating Brendon was receiving during the fight,I forgot that its just a movie. The movie will stay with you for long and has got some great emotional scenes which anyone can relate too which will be rare in sports movies. I recommend this film to all the people who love films..

Intense and inspirational - a real winner of a sports drama

Author: brchthethird from United States
8 February 2015

As I've probably mentioned before in the handful of reviews I've done for sports movies, I'm not the biggest fan of sports or sports movies in general. Still, I know a good film when I see one and WARRIOR is more than that: it's excellent. Befitting a film that deals with MMA and despite the PG-13 rating, it doesn't pull its punches physically or emotionally. This is probably one of the most intense movies I've seen from a visceral standpoint and on an emotional level. Without getting into too many specifics, the story is about two brothers who have been separated and on the outs for quite a long time. Due to personal circumstances, they both (inadvertently) enter the same MMA tournament and deal with relationship issues that have gone long unaddressed. The two leads, Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton, both do an awesome job with the dramatic material while also bringing a believable physicality to their fight scenes. Although they are filmed and edited in a rather chaotic style, I thought that it worked here even if it came with the slight loss of comprehensibility. For the most part, however, you get to see all of the punches, throws and takedowns from a variety of perspectives. Also lending some dramatic heft to the film was veteran actor Nick Nolte, who plays the brothers' father, also on bad terms with his sons for a variety of reasons. He was as fleshed out as were the two siblings and even gets a couple moments that seemed Oscar-worthy. In general, this wasn't some mindless story with a bunch of fight scenes strung together. Every fight had a purpose for the overall story, and there was plenty of back story for each main character to get you fully invested. So much so, that by the time the end comes around you don't know who to root for because they both have such strong motivations. It's like the Sophie's Choice of fight films. My only complaint, which is minor at best, is that once it does come around to the conclusion it lays on the melodrama a bit thick, and the final moment in the ring which was backed by an acoustic song had me rolling my eyes a little bit. Still, this was a powerful drama with incredibly brutal fight scenes that actually meant something. Even if you don't normally go for sports movies, this is one of the few that transcends that genre's limitations and manages to be inspirational without pandering. Highly recommended.

A Perfect Father/Son(s) Drama

Author: gunes bayir from Turkey
15 January 2015

It's the third time I watch it, and still one of the best father/son dramas ever filmed. A disloyal father, and irresponsible big brother, a family is torn apart in the past. Tommy, the smaller son, abhors both and after some years they come together in a martial arts tournament to win the grand prize. Both sons have their own reason to fight, and they both want to win with all costs seized.

Tommy, despite his hate towards his father, needs him train himself and the real father/son drama starts just after. And the drama triples in the ring, when two brothers become rivals. By the way, for the role-play, Tommy and Dad were just remarkable.

A Must Watch.

Author: MrYomeo
14 January 2015

Warrior is by far one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Not only because it contains martial arts, but it contains something I find way more important; A well developed story. The character's in this movie gets a really nice introducing meanwhile you are watching the movie. Making it way easier for you as a viewer to put yourself in their position to get more attached to the movie. This left me crying after watching until the end, the amazing filming and editing in the fight scenes and the music playing makes it even more intense when dramatics scenes get played as well.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose, only a lot to win. 9/10