IMDb > Solace (2015/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Solace

Solace More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

I usually trust on IMDb reviews

Author: silvaeduardo from Porto, Portugal
19 January 2016

Loved the movie, don't go for the 1 star main review...

I found strange that a movie with this 2 actors would get a so low or medium even score, and decided to watch it (usualy I don't see anything below 6.5)

The movie is very good and has a strong message behind it, its not that well hidden, you can identify yourself or someone with the pain that goes through the movie. Who thinks this is a horror movie, or a cliché is going for the wrong film.

Its a story of the "devil's advocate", you will end up having conflicted feelings, hard ones, with some extremes.

Anyways, without spoiling it, unless your expecting a horror or action blockbuster you should watch this movie.

Hopkins delivers and Farrel as well, now the woman main actress doesn't reach this 2 great actors, its the only flaw (Sometimes big one) I find in this film.

Great movie

Loved it - ignore the naysayers who think too much

Author: carolhollett64 from Cheshire, England
24 January 2016

I didn't expect much from this film, owing to the reviews on here, but I really enjoyed it. Mind you, what's not to love when Anthony Hopkins is involved? Ostensibly just another serial killer film, but this is a serial killer with a difference and it actually raises a modern dilemma. The action is good, Anthony Hopkins is brilliant, as always, and there is a twist at the end. One reviewer said that the guy who directed/produced this film was churning out stuff like this in the 80s and gave it a low rating, but I am just an ordinary mortal who doesn't have a clue who directed/produced it and just enjoys a good story, and I thought it was a cracking film.

Decent Supernatural Thriller that benefits greatly from Anthony Hopkins's presence

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
12 January 2016

The premise where Psychics are helping the police to find killers are a very common thing in movies and TV series and maybe in real life. They won't tell you who the killer is. Just bits and pieces of information, sometimes misleading or misinterpreting.

The same goes for "Solace" a rather naive supernatural thriller which gains substance and becomes interesting because of the presence of veteran multi-awarded actor Anthony Hopkins. Colin Farrell is also in this but maybe he is miscast.

The direction and editing might bother some people but I personally found it OK. Lots of digital Effects, slow motions, quick distorted editing, are always a way to present visions or memories, and this movie has plenty.

One of the problems of "Solace" is that it has a strong statement about a rather delicate matter which I won't reveal because ultimately is the motive of the villain. It's like a moral that forces you to accept it, without expressing the opposite side which is equally strong.

Overall: You won't waste your time with this one. Is a decent Supernatural Thriller and Anthony Hopkins is effortlessly great. In my opinion though skip the obvious moral, or give it some more thought.

You expect something small, but then get something much better.

Author: Harvey Penson from United Kingdom
26 September 2015

If we could see people's future, I never would have seen this film being so deep.

Solace focuses on a closed off psychic who helps to find a serial killer, but soon becomes more important to the case than he knows. Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrell star in this mystery thriller to wow the audience on life and moral behaviour.

The film gives thrills, action, suspense, and deep thinking to keep the audience 100% focused. We view brilliant camera work and interesting editing sequences to dazzle our eyes. Though I do not promise this film to be the utter best, but completely enjoyable, and a film to spread the word around about.

The film provides plenty of depth to the characters, and immediately put the audience on their side. Anthony Hopkins is a clever, caring, and intelligent character that gives the film the performance it needed, along with an emotional story as well. However the choice of Colin Farrell for the psychotic free believer, serial killer may not be the perfect decision. Granted Farrell provides plenty of depth and character in his performance, especially presenting great characterisation compared to previous performances, I personally did not see Farrell as the ideal actor for this role.

I give this film a 7/10, providing you with much more then you first think. This is a film for thrill seekers, and viewers who like to think, but also one to be discussed.

A very enjoyable Thriller

Author: kaprijoias from Brazil
25 January 2016

I don't agree with the bad reviews here, I liked this movie very much. The story keeps your attention focused up to the very end. I loved the filming, the editing and the music. If you like a good old fashioned thriller with surprising twists and an end that makes you think about matters of life and death, this is a film to watch. It has just enough body count, car chase and action to be all throughout interesting, without overdoing violence.

Anthony Hopkins' performance it stunning. I always enjoy watching him and here he delivers as well as ever. He can tell the story of his character only with the expression of his eyes and the director uses them well. Colin Farrell does a good job, the other characters are OK but not outstanding.

Contre point

Author: theredandwhitekey
24 January 2016

Firstly, I liked this movie very much. What I didn't like were 2 things: the story was a bit lame (the directing makes it unpredictable) but otherwise the story was flatly OK. The second thing: the tempo and the editing were fast as if it were a TV series. Other than that, it was excellent. The mood of the movie with its colors and lenses and frames was different than anything I've seen, as if the director intentionally wanted to give this genre a different approach. Thus the contre point description: it's too fast and too lucid to belong to this genre. That being said, I can reiterate now and say I liked this movie. It worked for me. It's surprisingly haunting, fresh, it doesn't bore you for a second and it keeps building up. Other than the lame story and the fast editing tempo it's a great effort by an amateur genius (the director). It lingers in your mind, the contre point aspect, the score, the script, the performance by the actors. It's really worth a watch.

Psychic crime drama with food for thought

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
2 October 2015

John Clancy lives in solitude, separated from his wife after his daughter's death. FBI agent Joe calls on him for assistance in a serial killing case because John has a psychic ability to pick up information from objects and people, and this killer is leaving clues but no forensic detail. The trouble is, John determines, that the killer has similar abilities to John's, only better.

Superficially a straightforward crime suspense thriller with a psychic element to it, this film has two good things going for it. One is the title or, more precisely, what the title means, which doesn't become clear until about halfway through, and which supercharges the ending: there is an aspect of the plot which provides you with some serious food for thought. And the other is Anthony Hopkins' performance. We know he is a consummate actor, but we also know he can chew scenery when he is required to. Here, he gives us a man whose abilities torment him beyond comprehension, and who chooses to deal with that by living in solitude which means he doesn't come into contact with the things which trigger them. And, when he does move into the busy world, he keeps his reactions under tight control with a veneer of serenity which masks what is going on underneath (yet Hopkins lets you know nevertheless). It is a subtle, understated performance, perhaps his best since the Silence Of The Lambs.

I really enjoyed this, and the end knocked me for six.

Really good stuff genuinely moral dilemma

Author: David Morgan from United Kingdom
30 January 2016

Why on earth did this go straight to video. Deserved bigger release really cracking film with good cast and cracking plot with genuine feeling for the central moral dilemma at its heart. Some of the other reviews are bizarre after all if you don't like films with this kind of angle I.e. the psychic bit then don't rent it ! Also it managed to be unpredictable right to the end without being overly tricksy. Anthony Hopkins sympathetic and as (nearly) always spot on. Best thing I have seen Colin Farrell do as well. Good pace and nicely done action sequences, can't see a thing wrong with it.

Cheers

Daft but gripping

Author: davidgee from United Kingdom
1 October 2015

If this reminds you of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, it's almost certainly meant to. Anthony Hopkins, in creepy (hammy!) near-Hannibal mode, plays a clairvoyant investigator helping the FBI track down a serial killer who - by credibility-stretching coincidence - also happens to be blessed with amazing psychic powers and has a seriously weird motive for his grisly crimes.

SOLACE was originally pitched as a sequel to SE7EN, we're told, and had major production difficulties. There are echoes of almost all the Hannibal Lecter movies. Abbie Cornish's FBI agent never escapes from the shadow of Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling. Colin Farrell is, as ever, a charismatic presence, although he is playing a character the script does not make remotely believable. We see too many of Hopkins's 'visions' of how things may (or may not) be about to turn out. Nowhere near as grim and atmospheric as SE7EN, SOLACE is more than a little daft - but despite muddled direction it's still gripping and at least as watchable as a 'vintage' episode of CSI.

Interesting ideas trapped in a plastic plot.

Author: ryan-fotheringham from United Kingdom
25 September 2015

The supernatural element aside, this is a generic and clichéd serial killer chase. The premise boasts interesting ideas but fails to incorporate them in the plot in any way that gives the movie depth. The intrigue of the psychic powers within the film fades as the plot drags towards the finale and the last scene kills it off entirely.

Anthony Hopkins, Colin Farrell and Abbie Cornish have all proved, the former especially, that they have the ability to carry themselves in a blockbuster - though this film would hardly even qualify as such. Hopkins phones in a performance with small highlights few and far between. Farrell seems to give it his all but shining in a flick filmed so generically that it's almost laughable appears to be a tougher task than he could have anticipated. Cornish is decent but with the exception of a scene designed to pull on the audience's heartstrings has few opportunities to show off what she can do.

Camera shots float and zoom-in partially making the film feel almost like a spoof of the genre.

The psychic element does provide some interesting imagery as well as allowing for possible scenarios to be shown to the audience from the perspective of Hopkins and Farrell. However, much of the imagery appears irrelevant and it's inevitable explanation does not justify it's inclusion enough for the audience to have appreciation of it.

In conclusion, the film is bold to boast an original idea in a time where cinema is dominated by sequels, remakes and reboots. Nonetheless, much of the film reeks of cop drama generalisations alongside an underdeveloped supernatural element. On TV it might be worth a watch but I feel it isn't worth the price of a cinema ticket.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]