IMDb > "The Simpsons" Coming to Homerica (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Simpsons: Coming to Homerica (#20.21)"

"The Simpsons" Coming to Homerica (2009)

« Prev | 441 of 625 Episodes | Next »

Episodes like this remind us what is so great about 'The Simpsons'.

Author: brooksy241095 from United Kingdom
13 April 2010

This episode was impeccable, I really thought it was one of the best in the show's history.

The story starts when Krusty is forced to bring out a more healthy burger in his fast-food chains, so he begins to sell 'The Mother Nature Burger' with vegetables. The vegetables, which come from Norwegian farmers in Ogdenville, make several people ill and the workers are out of business. Seeking for work, they move to Springfield and soon the town is full of immigrants and the towns people have had enough.

I can relate to this episode a lot, due to the Polish migrants moving into the UK, where I live.

I loved this episode and laughed harder than I have in a long time at 'The Simpsons'. A real eye-opener!

10/10!!

Rapid-fire quips as always!

Author: beflin from United States
31 July 2009

"The Simpsons" has never had any general decline in quality over 20+ years. Instead, it has continued to monotonically increase for all time, even if it must of necessity asymptotically approach a large, nonzero limit. After all, there exists a finite rate at which funny jokes and story lines can be delivered and interpreted to the human mind.

"Coming to Homerica" is jammed packed with witty clever unexpected quips. My only reason for scoring "Coming to Homerica" an 8 instead of 10 out of 10 is that those quips are 8/10 funny to 2/10 merely clever and witty. In fact, this is the reason ANY "The Simpsons" episodes would score less than a 10 - never because "the writing is less than perfect", but merely that the writing is on a scale from 0 representing all brilliant but not funny wit to 10 representing brilliant and funny wit.

One of the dumbest comments one can make about any TV show or movie is that the writers live in their "bubble" world while everybody else lives in "the" real world. Everybody lives in the real world AND in their own bubble world. Writers are no exception. Hence, one can not please everybody. "The Simpsons" had an episode about comic book writers which stars Jack Black (I tried to search, but I cannot find the episode's title). I never heard of these comic book writers, and I have no interest in comic books, yet I enjoyed this episode immensely.

Each "The Simpsons" episode has time to examine only ONE slice of life on this planet, and whatever period of time the writers choose. So, it is extremely unlikely that that particular slice of life and time will be relevant to your own bubble of life. An intelligent viewer will be able to appreciate the episode nevertheless, precisely because the writing of "The Simpsons" is so brilliantly universal and timeless, even when dealing with dated subjects.

I have no interest in the issue of immigration, as I am busy with animal rights. We all have time and energy to tackle only one or two issues at most in our lives. Nevertheless, I found "Coming to Homerica"'s wild ride of a storyline to be great fun.

The only other reason for me to give this episode less than a 10 is that the episode got too sentimental right at the end. That could be a fault of the subject matter of immigration, rather than the writers.

Still very disappointing.

Author: jety2k from United States
30 May 2009

I caught this episode again recently and I have to (once again) modify my opinion and lower my vote to a firm 3. I just don't think this episode rises to the standards of previous years.

The first half was good and had some really great gags. However, I think the writer attempted to make a statement that was clumsy and ham-handed. If I want lame and preachy I will watch "The Family Guy". Perhaps the writer of this episode should get a job with that show. In any case I will say it again, I hope they don't ask this guy back unless he is working with their staff writers.

I have not missed a single episode of The Simpsons since 1989 and have very, very rarely been disappointed. I am happy to say that the latest season was every bit as entertaining as ever. I also think that there are enough good ideas that the show could easily go on for several more years or at least as long as the voice talent agrees to come back every year and they continue to hire better writers than this guy.

Tastes vary and I know others would probably disagree but I won't comment on that as that is best left to the message board where it belongs.