"The Simpsons" Sex, Pies and Idiot Scrapes (2008)

« Prev | 421 of 565 Episodes | Next »

Hit and miss

Author: crotisjivefunk from United States
27 December 2008

The Simpsons Movie was the best thing to come from the show in over ten years, and season 19 had a few good episodes. This episode was hit and miss. Some good moments include a brief (but underused) Dog the Bounty Hunter parody, another Batman montage, some genuine Homer and Flanders moments, and the fight between the Irish and Northern Irish. Am I the only person who still watches the show that is sick and tired of the leprachaun character? He made good use here, but doesn't seem like he should be a regular character. Homer just comes across as too unlikeable at times, and how many times has he been to jail/prison? I give it a 3/5, but the rest of the season has been better than this.

Sex, Pies and Idiot Scraps !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
3 November 2011

The Simpsons is guaranteed wild ride of comedy. Its writing is always a force of nature. Yet as every great show there are so limited bad episodes. And in The Simpsons; bad means being less saturated with wacky stuff. Accordingly this one isn't only bad; it's Ay, caramba bad !

While watching the episode, I was saying "Com'on, this is the leftover !". This one doesn't have enough energy to stand on its own feet. The line of Homer seems like unfinished sarcastic segment intended for one of The Simpsons' 3-segments episodes, with parody out of the buddy-cop shows and movies. In another Simpsons galaxy, this could have been inventive and hilarious, especially with Humor and, out of all people, Ned as low-enforcer partners. At first I thought, "Hey, here's a Starsky & Hutch's spoof". But at last I was admitting in grief : "Starsky & Hutch is better !" This is an ugly remark in my book by the way !

And let's face it, the second line.. What second line ?! Marge as an erotic baker has potential, but this one completely blew it up to the ground!

The Casino Royale's spoof, with parkour-inspired stunts, wasn't done right; it was closer to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Sideshow Bob could have been fine as a main goal for the 2 leads to capture, see how this script throws an idea like that away, despite 2, strangely silent, appearances for his character along the way ?! The French Connection's spoof was the best moment. However it doesn't make the episode, rather its being as the sole good moment assures the real weakness of it.

Making an episode from scraps is one thing I would forgive in a show like this, but making it as the twentieth season's premiere ?? That's another thing I can't believe at all !!! It's either a vanity, a dumbness, or a warning message that the writers began to hate their job !

Very good season premiere.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
28 September 2008

Homer Simpson and Ned Flanders become bounty hunters...can't get much better than that. Too bad there were so many missed opportunities, but even with that this was a funny episode. The Marge plot sounded as stupid as can be, and even that was an above average story. This episode was very worthy of being the Simpsons season 20 premiere.

The Simpsons show up to an Irish festival in Springfield, where a fight between two types of Irish get into a huge fight. Homer ends up getting arrested, and all he needs to do is show up in court to get it cleared. Homer is influenced by a bounty hunter he meets, and he tries to make a citizen's arrest on Snake, and is saved by Ned Flanders, ending in a bounty hunter partnership between the two. Meanwhile, Marge begins working at an erotic bakery with a man she met at the Irish festival, and she has to hide the truth from the family.

I really disliked the first act of this episode. It was too over the top to be funny, and just a really random way to lead to the A and B stories of Simpson/Flanders bounty hunting and Marge and the bakery. The Homer and Ned storyline was quite good, with Ned Flanders in his best role in seasons. A chase scene between Ned and Homer was also impressive and amusing. Marge's plot was random, and it seemed unfinished, but it was also good. Both plots merged together to form a sweet ending.

Overall, this isn't a great episode, but it is a good way to start the season.

My rating: *** out of ****. 30 mins. TV14DLSV

The Simpsons is finished

Author: Oh Really from Norway
30 September 2008

I don't know what happened to the Simpsons. There was a time I used to split my sides over almost every episode. The last years however, the show has gotten gradually less funny. This episode nearly made me laugh twice, I admit that. Well not really laugh, more of a faint smile actually. Nearly. Doesn't matter, what matters is: This show just isn't funny anymore. Tired and predictable jokes is not what this show used to be about. A "crazy" storyline, OK, does not matter as long as the jokes are as lame as they are. Some of the jokes are set up really clumsy. Almost as they feel they have to explain even simple jokes. Well here's a clue: if you have to explain it, it just isn't funny. As Bart would have said, this sucks.