IMDb > Evil Dead (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Evil Dead

Evil Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 75:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Being a huge fan it's an enormous pleasure to watch.

Author: Hellmant from United States
9 April 2013

'EVIL DEAD': Five Stars (Out of Five)

The first five star movie of 2013 is this long awaited reboot to writer/director Sam Raimi's 1981 cult classic original 'THE EVIL DEAD'. It's a loose sequel that finds a new group of young adults stumbling across the 'book of the dead', from the original trilogy, in the same cabin that iconic hero Ash and his friends did in the original two films. Raimi and actor Bruce Campbell (who played Ash) have returned as producers of the film (along with their buddy Robert G. Tapert, who produced the original three films). Raimi picked Fede Alvarez to make his feature film debut directing and co-writing the film (along with Rodo Sayagues and Diablo Cody). It stars Jane Levy (from TV's 'SUBURGATORY'), Shiloh Fernandez, Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas and Elizabeth Blackmore. Levy plays Mia and she's supposed to reprise the role for two more films, the last of which is supposed to link this new film series to the adventures of Ash and the original films (following a 'ARMY OF DARKNESS 2' movie). I grew up on these films and am extremely excited to see Raimi and Campbell picking the series up again and think they're off to a great start.

The story picks up 30 years after the original 'THE EVIL DEAD' film ended with a new group of kids going to the same cabin so Mia (Levy) can try to detox and get over her opiate addiction. Her friends Eric (Pucci), Olivia (Lucas), Natalie (Blackmore) and brother David (Fernandez) are there as well to help her get through it. They come across the 'book of the dead' (the Naturom Demonto) from the original films, in the cellar and Eric foolishly reads from it (despite several warnings not to). He of course awakens the dead and Mia is possessed. The others originally think she's just going through withdrawals but they soon find themselves being taken over and killed off one by one as they fight the deadites for their survival.

The film was made on a budget of just $17 million (which is a lot higher than the original film obviously but a pretty small budget by Hollywood standards). The filmmakers decided not to use CGI (except for touch ups) and filmed for 70 days. The results are definitely rewarding. The film really has that 'old school' classic slasher film feel to it and it's surprisingly loyal to the original films (in style). It's lacking the power of a performance like Bruce Campbell's but it is really funny and satirical (more so than the first film I think but not it's sequels). The violence and gore is out of control (It was first rated NC-17, like the original) and it really is a true hardcore horror film; it's truly exhilarating and relentless. I think the filmmakers did about as good a job as they possibly could rebooting this classic series and being a huge fan it's an enormous pleasure to watch. I have no real complaints; it's a masterpiece just like the original film and it's sequels!

Excellent re-imagining of a classic

Author: N-Weiss90 from Chicago
9 April 2013

I have to say I'm very surprised at all the negative reviews I've been reading. I'm an avid movie lover, frequenting the theaters at least twice a week if not more. Something about being able to just sit back in a dark room, with a big screen and great sound. It's just good fun. Movies are enjoyable, not all are realistic and I think that's the point. If I wanted something realistic, I would watch a documentary (which I do on many occasions).

I think a lot of the reviews are being very unfair to this movie. I have seen the original and I loved it. Especially when I first saw it as a kid, it scared the crap out of me. But we have to remember that we are in a new age with different technologies and expectations. I bet that if the original was released for the first time right now, it would have been shot down even more than this "remake." Although I love the original, the effects don't scare me like they used to. And people who complain about the acting and script of the new movie? Come on. It wasn't perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as others are making it out to be. And Jane Levy was absolutely AMAZING in this film. I would watch this movie over and over again just to see her act.

People are judging this movie too harshly. Was this movie enjoyable? Yes. Very much so. Were the effects good? The effects were A+ and the score was magnificent. Would I see it again? Yes. I would go see it again at the movies AND buy it as soon as it's available on Blu Ray.

This movie is not meant to be a remake of the first, rather a reawakening of an old and classic evil. Watch this movie with an open mind and you will love it. Watch it and compare it to the original? You will hate it, because they are not the same movies. Both were brilliant, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I enjoyed this version a lot more than the old one. Acting by Levy was perfect, gore was fantastic, scares were good, and the movie had my attention all the way through.

Amazing movie, a step ahead from modern movies of the genre

Author: Eduardo Antonio from Brazil
21 April 2013

First of all I like to say that I'm a big fan of the seventh art, having watched from The Seventh Seal and 8½ to not so good blockbusters, and knowing that there is yet much to be seen and known, I can tell that horror is my favorite genre.

So, as a fan of the genre, it's obvious that I watched The Evil Dead many years ago, and I loved it. But when it comes to remakes, I always try to watch them with an open mind, not ignoring its positive points just because I like the original better, after all, they are not going to cease to exist, but some people just can't do just that, and that seems to me as the biggest problem that people showed with Evil Dead.

Spoilers ahead!!

Starting with an interesting, but not much relevant opening, Evil Dead show to the audience what to expect from the movie, right from the beginning. After the title, we are introduced to the five central characters. We see Mia suffering with the abstinence, David trying to do something to bound with his sister after leaving her with the dying mother, Eric being angry with David for the same reason as Mia, Olivia trying to do her best to make her friend go through hell and Natalie doesn't do sh*t.

All hell breaks loose when Eric reads the words wrote in the book that they found in the basement (a normal act drove by curiosity, not an dumb thing like many people point at) and the demon awakes in an amazing sequence, the camera rising from the woods and rapidly moving, changing from Mia walking in circles in the rain and Eric reading the words one by one, until the demon finale reaches the cabin.

When I first walked in the theater to watch Evil Dead, I expected a gore fest, limbs flying everywhere and some interesting death scenes, that's all. The film has all that but not just it, the tension is hold from beginning to end, and you really get nervous during the entire show, like in the famous Tree rape scene that this time isn't explicit like in the original and yet is much more shocking.

The acting is also great, Jane Levy as Mia (and here I should say how much I loved her) and Lou Taylor Pucci as Eric are amazing, Jessica Lucas is also very good, but she doesn't gets much screen time. Elizabeth Blackmore could be pointed as a bad actress but in reality, the script doesn't allow her to do much, that being said, she is the most useless character in the movie. Shiloh Fernandez is bland and didn't quite deliver the David that I hoped from the script.

In the technical department, Evil Dead shows the combination of all the good things in a movie, the score from Roque Baños is nothing less than brilliant, the make-up is astonishing and even if the Deadites may resemblance a little too much with Regan from "The Exorcist" they feel very organic. But the thing that surprised most about the film is the photography, the landscape in the beginning, the shots from outside the cabin, the blood rain, the contrast between the dark from the scenario and Jane Levy scarlet red dress looks absolutely beautiful.

Evil Dead is an amazing movie, it isn't the perfect one, but it doesn't want to be it. Pointed by many to have "dumb script" (like the horror movies in its most, or even the original The Evil Dead had a great one ¬¬) that actually diverges a lot from the genre. We see the family issue, the subtle correlation between the drugs and the demon possession for Mia, and the distance from clichés. A friendly advice, fans of the genre should stop smashing the movie just because of their love for the original, if you can do this, you may actually enjoy one of the most amazing horror movies released in quite some time.

And for the ones that say "this is just a gore fest with no history whatsoever" or like someone wrote in a review I read here "this is Evil Dead for the Xbox generation", just for the fact you don't like a movie, it doesn't mean this is the "Worst movie of our Generation", grow up!

Evil Dead is one of the most terrifying movie you will ever experience

Im honestly baffled by all of the bad reviews

Author: gregoryginal
10 April 2013

(IDK if there are actually spoilers, but I want to be safe, lol) I am constantly seeing oh its not original, it's not scary, it's not this, it's not that. I saw evil dead when I was about 11, and have loved the trilogy in whole for as long as I can remember. These movies hold a special place in my heart. Hearing of the remake, I was terribly skeptical like everyone else was, but the movie pretty much lived up to everything I wanted to see in this movie, a REMAKE. I feel somehow just because Bruce wasn't in it, people already start to lose interest, I don't know why. I realize this is my opinion, but as someone who's a fanboy, or whatever its called, of this movie, I really want to know what people were wanting out of this movie, sure some stuff that I wanted to see weren't in it, A newer, incredibly grotesque Henrietta, with the original "someones in my fruit cellar", or a dancing headless corpse would have topped it off for me!! The acting I thought was pretty good, The story I felt went along with the originals, with a few tweaks here and there, but nothing to really change the flow of the movie, But why I gave this movie a perfect rating is the constant nods to the originals, even including original sound bytes from evil dead 2, and probably one or two others that I cannot think of. What also made this movie great for me is that while it was missing Gimme Some Sugar Baby Ash (You have to respect the mans reason for not being in this movie, even though I like to think he could've done it, keeping my fingers crossed for Army of Darkness 2) I found myself seeing Ash in all of the characters, besides Olivia, but maybe I didn't pick up on the nods she had to Ash if there were any. However, If I could complain about anything with the movie, it ended up making sense to me in the end (*Hint* Cleansing, Electric Shock) However I think of Evil Dead 2, Where Ash is a Deadite, then he is fine. It may not run along the same lines exactly, but I like to think that's what they thought when writing the movie. All in all, we must realize that the stage set for the production was on a whole other level, the original first evil dead was quite a low budget movie made in the early 80's, Evil Dead 2 seemed like it had a better budget to work with, I am guessing they had an even better budget for this movie than any of the others. It seems they at least tried to capture the feeling of the originals by sticking with on screen effects, rather than CGI.

If you want to go see a movie that is a creepy, gory, absolute blast of a time to see. I am going to go see it again because I did not stick around for after the credits. They knew us screwheads wanted this, and they delivered, with what I believe is a movie that has used the most fake blood to date, and to that, I say Groovy!

Groovy

Author: creepysammich from Belgium
5 September 2013

So I've read here and there that this remake lacks the camp of the original. And I look back over 20 years ago, watching The Evil Dead on a crummy rental VHS, in the dark of my teenage bedroom one night. The camp? The original Evil Dead was a terrifying experience, even with Bruce Campbell's over the top performance, the film was a scare-fest, a terrifying trip even nearly ten years after its release. The camp was in Evil Dead 2, an horror comedy remaking the original already, technically.

This remake finds many way to bow to the original, aside the obligatory visual quotes. The use of practical effects, notably, in an era of CGI- filled movies, is extremely refreshing. The gore feels painful, makes you cringe, churned my stomach. It successfully palliates a somewhat shallow characterization that makes it difficult to root for the characters (with the exception of Mia, who owes a lot to a really visceral performance by Jane Levy.)

And this is where Evil Dead 2013 took me by surprise. After roughly a first half of the movie taking Evil Dead fans by the hand towards hashed and rehashed territories, making them doubt that this was a good idea at all, the movie lets go of your hand and you're alone, in the middle of the woods, and it's dark and there's strange noises all about... and then limbs start flying.

I won't get into conjectures that the highly conventional and overly familiar first half was made that way with the sole purpose of placing the audience in their comfort zone, only to give more impact to the second half... but I would surely ask Fede Alvarez if I was to interview him.

Evil Dead 2013 is a treat for the fans of gore and horror, in any case. Another reminder that out of ten awful remakes, sometimes one rises to the top and delivers. Not for the faint of heart, for sure, but if you're a true horror fan, and even more, if you miss your old school, gruesome gore rides, this one is for you.

No Ash Leaves Ash In Your Mouth

Author: AyeLewisTheSelfless from Austin, Texas, USA
13 May 2013

SHAME RAIMI SHAME!! Sam, why would you risk your outstanding legacy by attaching yourself (loosely), to this utter shemozzle?!? Clearly you were offered a few bucks to help promote this film and give it some credibility, but is money worth more than credibility? Reputation? Respect?!?! I could say the same about Bruce Campbell, but he has never been more than a B-actor, (though still totally awesome), and thus I understand his desire to make a quick buck, but Sam....you have no excuse.

As for the film, well it is gory and boring. That pretty much sums it up. Poor-quality gore by the truckload. No tension. No story worth noting. No scares. No charm. No Ash.

NO ASH!!!! Except for a tacked on cameo after the credits, the lack of Ash makes this film even more execrable than it already is.

Plot-holes galore. Contrived plot twists. Obvious ending. Terrible acting. Woeful characters. Lack of depth.

Just an awful film.

Sam.............what have you done?

Evil Dead

Author: Jac21961 from United States
15 April 2013

Hello fellow reviewers! For all you lowlifes who keep posting horrible reviews on such a perfectly executed "HORROR" film! Save your breath nobody wants to hear about your pathetic negativity wasted on talking about how great the original was...yes the original was amazing but this one takes up a whole new dimension in horror (revolving around GORE AND VIOLENCE; not to mention a cast that can act) which is what I look for when watching a horror film! If this was a typical horror film the main character would have boobs bigger than her face and a terrible acting career, which Jane Levy has neither of those along with rest of the cast. Compared to many horror films that are being made lately, this movie brings back what the horror genre has been missing which includes great casting, creativity, originality, and guts to put together a brave, cunning, exciting, gory and above all else crazy horror movie. I have to say I was excited when I walked in and blown away when the movie ended, this movie surpassed all my expectations and more.

Just because you watched EVIL DEAD and didn't like it doesn't necessarily mean others will not like it as well. If you have nothing positive to say about any films as matter of fact don't say anything at all. Look at the "positive" instead of the negative when watching a film otherwise you'll never enjoy the experience! Don't think remake and completely expect the same things to happen in a new version of the old...instead hope for new twists and turns rather than similarity. I believe that is what the new EVIL DEAD achieved.

At least 10 stupid things about this movie...

Author: HudsonsSkull from Canada
12 April 2013

There are definitely more but here is at least 10...

1- After the nurse says that they've done this before with Mia and they know she will do anything to get away, no one thinks to hide the vehicles keys in a safe place? Probably even left them in the ignition too because it looked as though she just jumped into the car and hightailed it out of there.

Stupid.

2- They have a crack addict with withdrawal symptoms and who's mother was mentally unstable roaming about in the cabin, but they leave a shotgun and shells they found in the cellar lying around?

Stupid.

3- They find a cellar with dead cats, an ominous book, blood all around and a shotgun with shells and they don't think to head back and notify the authorities that there might have been a possible crime that took place there? Thinking to themselves, "That's o.k., we're here to help Mia so who cares if there might have been a murder in this cabin."

Stupid.

4- The Evil needed 5 souls to manifest itself, but I only count three or four at the most. The girl at the beginning doesn't count because the Evil was put back in hell, if it wasn't, Eric wouldn't have needed to read a passage in the book to release it once more now would he? The dog was killed by Mia with the hammer, it was never possessed. And if it were possible to possess animals, then why not just possess a bunch of forest animals instead to get his 5 souls?

So that's three souls from the moment the evil was released by the incantation, Olivia, Natalie and Eric. Mia? No, her soul was returned to her body or she wouldn't have been alive at the end to fight the abomination. I'll be generous and give you David as well since he died in the cabin fire with the others, but this nonsense I'm reading about the Evil getting Mia's soul and then loosing it counting as a soul claimed, that's bull. In order to claim something you have to keep it. Finders keepers, losers weepers.

Stupid.

5- After the cabin door opens with wind gushing through the cabin, and Mia telling everyone (in a demonic type voice) that they are all going to die, the nurse and girlfriend going bat-sh!t crazy, his sister ending up in the cellar with demonic eyes and all the sh!t going on around him, David still comes up with "Maybe she got infected by the dead cats and passed it on to the others, or better yet, maybe she's just crazy like our mom was in the asylum. I mean, come on, there's denial and then there's just plain stupidity.

Stupid.

6- David buries Mia, then pulls her out of the ground and she's miraculously healed? In the original, the deadites were never healed, they just gave the illusion of being "OK" to further torment Ash. And before any of you say "We'll Ash was healed after he was turned into Evil Ash" let me point out that this was in ED2 which was a fantasy mixed with humour type horror movie. Fans of this keep insisting this one is a more realistic approach like Raimi envisioned in the first place. Now you have a choice to make guys, you can't have it both ways. It's either a more realistic approach in which case Mia should still have cuts and burns on her body or it's a fantasy based horror where anything goes. Which is it?

Stupid.

7- Every time something bad was going to happen, wind would blow the pages of the book to an illustration depicting what was going to happen giving the audience a heads up. Great way to build suspense there Fede. Wow!

Stupid.

8- After Mia boils her skin in the shower, the "nurse", finally gives in and says "Her burns are too severe we have to get her to a hospital." So, David takes Mia with him, in the only vehicle left I might add, just the two of them leaving the three others (girlfriend included) alone in a creepy cabin in the woods in the middle of the night where strange satanic rituals might have happened in the cellar. Last time I checked, there's room enough for five in a jeep. He could have at least taken the nurse with him in case Mia's condition worsened on their way to the hospital.

Stupid.

9- The abomination, with enough power in it's scrawny little arms to topple a jeep, had difficulty dragging itself on the ground after Mia amputated it's feet with the chainsaw. If it had as much power in it's arms as was shown, it should have easily been capable of doing a hand stand using it's arms to walk to get at her. Imagine for a second, how freaking' creepy it would have been to see that coming at her from around the jeep upside down. It would have been something like the creatures in the Dead Space video game. Missed opportunity there Fede.

Stupid.

10- Mia starts walking off into the morning sun with her arm cut off and shoved into her shirt, without even cauterizing the wound. I give her 15 minutes before she bleeds out and dies on the side of the road. Even if she makes it that far, she still has to swim across the river that washed out the road earlier in the movie. She'd never make it with all the blood loss, she would pass out and drown in the river.

Stupid ending.

A disgusting, boring, generic film.

Author: adamgb35 from United States
8 April 2013

This film is not worth seeing. First of all, for being "The most terrifying film you will ever experience.", it was not scary at all. I was more scared by Disney's Bambi than this movie. Another problem is that there was not one moment where I could not see what was coming. It was incredibly predictable. The effects do look great, and are the only thing that merit a 3/10 review. Some scenes were utterly disgusting and stupid. A lot in this movies was laughable, It's almost as if they were begging to be mocked by Scary Movie 5. The characters are OK, but there isn't much bond built between them and the audience. Most things that happen are ridiculous. At one point a man is stabbed directly in the heart, shot with nails, and then continues to survive for 40 more minutes in the movie. There was no tension, just death, more death, blood vomit, creepy voices, death, blood, death. THAT'S THE WHOLE MOVIE, no buildup at all. The music half the time was a rip-off Hans Zimmer and the other half was a incredibly annoying WWII bomb siren. Did not feel original at all, very generic, possibly the least original movie I've seen in a long time. So in review, if you like not at all scary movies, with annoying music, disgusting violence, stupid demons and characters, and wasting $10 to see it in theaters, by all means see this movie.

Best Horror film !!

Author: alex_aka_nostunna from Sweden
3 June 2013

I Saw this movie with my girlfriend last Saturday, we won tickets through a internet contest. Im glad we did because this movie is the best horror flick i've seen on the big screen. Both me and my girlfriend got scared as hell, remakes usually end up in a bad way or in a OK-way but this movie was awesome. The environment, story, characters and effects was perfect. I highly recommend you guys to watch it in the cinema!

There weren't any downside's of the movie but the ending could have been more creepier like the rest of the movie but though the ending was good. I liked how they changed stuff (storyline) since it's a remake and i hope for a sequel.

Page 1 of 75:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]