IMDb > Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Universal Soldier: Regeneration
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Above average, Way above.

Author: phoneeko from Switzerland
1 January 2010

This was great entertainment, Story:well scripted to avoid the many pitfalls the this kind of movie could have fallen in to. More layering and character development that you could ever expect from a film like this. Acting: no Oscars gonna be won here... but hey it's a JCVD flick and he and the rest of the cast do a good job in it. Action (fights): No Jason Bourne, or Taken, but pretty close!, you can see how much went in to choreography and rehearsal, very well done. Production: Nice cutting, great timing, superb use of location. Maybe the only weakish spot was the score, it sometimes felt out of context and/or under-produced.

Anyway: Director sure knew what he was doing here, and i liked it a lot.

Please Mr Hymas (Sr and Jr?) find a big budget, a great script and go do a Jason Bourne movie!

Deserved Limited Theatrical Release

Author: pattonfever from United States
31 December 2009

I really really did not want to see this movie, but boy am I glad I did. It was very well directed, well acted (for the most part), and well shot. I would have gladly paid 10 bucks to see this on the big screen. The problem is I (and most people) didn't know it until after we had seen it. After the god awful sequels I thought this outing would be the same garbage. John Hyams created a much darker bleak Universal Soldier that out shines the first installment. He has a very bright career ahead of him. The world he created in this film has the same look and feel as Terminator Salvation did. In fact this film is as good if not better than T4. Mainly because it had nothing to live up to. All the fight scenes were top notch, and graphically violent (which is a good thing). Even Dolph Lundgren was interesting. And near the end of the film there is a shot, of JVCD standing in front of a doorway looking at the kids that are his mission, that is just amazing. If you do not like action films you won't have any fun, but if you do your in for a real treat. You can give it a rent, or the better option would be to buy it on blu-ray. It's just a shame we can't see it on the big screen. Because after all these years JVCD finally has an action film thats worthy of it.

Luc Deveraux and Andres Scott are back in business! It's all good!

Author: Freddy X (sett_ditt_navn_her@hotmail.com) from Arendal, Norway
30 December 2009

In the third and by now the last Universal Soldier series, both Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren are back for one last showdown together.

This time they are both in a different place a different time for a different reason. But with the same anger and history.

So, is it any good? Well, being a STV and the fact that i's filmed in Bulgaria, it's pretty good actually.

I would say that it's not by far the same as the first Universal Soldier, but still good old action fun with two old action stars.

Anyways, good action, so so on the story and some cool violence and effects. The movie were kinda fun.

I'll rate it 7 out of 10 stars, cause I like Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. :)

Great Action Flick!!

Author: Ryan Hunter from United States
2 January 2010

The opening scene blew me away!! Absolutely amazing action at the beginning. Andrei (Pitbull) Arlovski stole the show with a great action performance. JCVD had a smaller role than the previous film and did a solid performance. I was disappointed that Dolph Lundgren's role was so small but he did a great job. The long fight sequence between Dolph and JCVD had some amazing parts as well.

The action at the beginning is by far the best; yet the film continues to deliver till the very end. I especially appreciate the minimal use of dialog. Extensive dialog was not needed for this film and was not included (useless and excessive dialog drives me nuts in action films).

*************SPECIALIZED CRITIQUE TO FILL SPACE!!****************

My only complaint was the tactics, weapons and armor employed by the US Army forces in the film. The weapons used by the Army forces appear to be the fully automatic M16A1 (with after market banana clips) which was used in the Vietnam War. The Army now uses the M16A4 with a 30 round magazine (slightly curved but not banana style) which is not fully automatic (Burst/Semi/Single) and Infantry are trained to rely primarily on well place single shots leaving the fully auto fire to the 240B or the SAW Gunners.

Additionally the US Army relies heavily on night-time operations thus ALL combat troops are equipped with Night Vision Devices. Mid day attacks are rarely ever performed especially against a heavily embedded enemy force. None of the "good guys" had night vision devices.

The US Army ubiquitously uses the Interceptor System of body armor which utilizes heavy ceramic plates in front and back of the soldier to protect from small arms fire and to minimize wounds from explosions. The soldiers in the film appear to wear simple Kevlar.

Furthermore Recon operations are never performed by a single operator but by small silent teams (2 or 4 men) moving slowly, smoothly and silently together. The lone Recon guy's equipment, weapon, and movements were completely wrong and his equipment made way too much noise.

I guess my main complaint would be the Director didn't do his research when it came to a large portion of his film. This is a common complaint for me in most movies which attempt to show modern US Army tactics and weapons. You would think that with all the unemployed Iraq War veterans out there they could find a few to advise them on their films.

**************************************

Ultimately Universal Soldier: Regeneration was an enjoyable film. I read one snobbish review relegating it to "B" movie oblivion yet I found the movie to be better than most "A" action movies coming out of Hollywood.

Congrats to Dolph and JCVD for a great movie I hope to see more films of this quality from both!

" If you have a fire, the best way to put it out is with a bucket of Gasoline "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
17 March 2010

World wide terrorism is fast becoming the stereotypical plot for new age films. They could be about corrupt inner governments, renegade police or as in this case, rebellious disenchanted rogue soldiers. The film is entitled " Universal Soldier: Regeneration. " This is part three and as with the original premises, dead soldiers who died in armed combat, were stored in cryogenic coffins, revived, repaired and returned to duty. In this third sequel, Russian terrorists have the added help of NGU's or New Generation Universal Soldiers which are improved, re-generated, deadlier soldiers. Dolph Lundgren returns as Andrew Scott and Andrei Arlovski, have kidnapped the children of the Russian Premier. In addition, radical soldiers, have also seized control over the Cernobal nuclear power plant. Together it poses a world wide threat when the rebels promise to detonate a huge bomb there, which will release a massive dangerous radioactive cloud across the world. In response, the governments activate some elite soldiers of their own including their former Universal soldier, Luc Deveraux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) who has under gone DE-programing, to combat the threat. The film is an improvement over the original in both drama and excellent acting. Ludgren and Van Dammn should be complimented on re-visiting former roles. With sufficient action, excitement and a generous supply of physical confrontation, the movie does a good job of keeping an audience entertained. ****

Good old action!

Author: wormtheace from United States
2 January 2010

After the disappointment of Universal 2 I was afraid this would be just as bad or maybe worse. To my surprise it ended up being a pretty good action movie. The story is straight forward. A situation arises and requires the return of Luck (Van Damme). The fighting scenes are pretty well crafted and the return of Lundgren was quite enjoyable. I suppose I need to remind people again that these types of movies are not intended to change the world! They are action movies and should be reviewed as such. As far as the bad, the story is really basic and the movie is a little short. I was pleasantly surprised by the acting overall. Yeah there is almost no dialogue, but Lundgren and Van Damme seemed to have learned a little bit about their craft. I hope Van Damme continues to make these types of movies and I look forward to one of them getting a serious theatrical release. It's been a long times since one of these movies has hit the big screen. I for one would love to support this type of movie.

Better than a lot of other action movies

Author: cyguration from United States
20 March 2010

Amazingly enough I went into this movie thinking it would be complete crap because of JCVD and Dolph "I can't act" Ludgren, but it was much better than a lot of other action movies, including Terminator: Salvation.

A lot of people might be hesitant because of the conflicting reviews, but ignore the whole "This is bad because it has Jean Claude in it..." stigma and you might be as surprised as I was after watching it. In fact, I found myself watching it a few times again because, through and through, it's an extremely engaging film.

What actually shocked me is that it covers an important social issue of terrorism versus political tyranny; using terrorism to maintain (and gain) freedom as well as capitalist control of armies without nations. Yeah, it's a movie that actually covers something important about sociality.

As a lot of other people pointed out, though, Jean Claude and Dolph only lend their faces for brief (in Dolph's case) and extended (in Jean's case) cameos. This film is not really about the aging action heroes but rather, they play a part in the outcome of things, very similar to Snipe's role in Blade 2.

As for quality...the movie is shot to look like the Bourne Identity and even has a cool chase scene like it, too. All the action is depicted with startling realism and all fist-fights result in such because people either run out of ammo or get too close to use weapons. In other words, all the fight scenes in this movie make a heck of a lot of sense and are very realistic and practical. Added to this, the musical score is extremely fitting to the science-fiction overtones.

Overall, this movie is leaps and bounds better than every other Universal Soldier movie made before it and actually takes itself serious enough to deserve better praise than what it's been receiving.

Jean-Claude van Damme still up

Author: artana from London, UK
30 December 2009

After JCVD movie I was pretty curious the next step. Actually, I can not deny the fact I became disappointed having seen action production for Mr Van Damme, rather than art films. But, one for the art, some others for the money... So, liking also Mr Lundgren I was sad not to have new Universal Soldier movie in cinemas. After watching this part, I must say, this is far better than the most was screened this year.

What is the secret?

Good directing, good photographer, good stunts, good timing, good atmosphere. And most of all, Mr Van Damme is great, and acts, and Mr Lundgren, well, just listen how he starts to speak, and his short monologue...

It is a really good thing in the plot that... well, just see it...:)

To sum up, matured actors can make good movies with good director, good script, good editing, good cameramen, and so on. And this happens here.

And the supporting cast? I haven't even recognized it was filmed in Bulgaria, and honestly, you watch a Van Damme film for Him, and this is also a great point of the directing that... :)

So watch it, and you will like it mainly because of Van Damme and Lundgren. :)

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Author: mikesblast from United States
30 December 2009

15 minutes into this, I noticed something strange. I didn't want to turn it off which is pretty rare when talking about most of Van Damme's movies over the past decade. The thing that might kill this movie with some fans is that it is so different from the great original...tons better then the turd of a 2nd one though. It is not a polished Terminator type action flick like the original was. It is much grittier and with some of the locations and fights, it almost has more of a Bourne style feeling to it (not as good of course) with Unisols. The action is well directed...very quick with no dopey slow motion. Even the acting is decent. The main reason for that probably is that the film makers wisely let those actors with accents actually keep them. Too often, they try and hide them horribly and it comes off as a terrible performance. Another thing is that they used subtitles for the terrorists which adds a little authenticity...sounds silly I know but little things like that matter in movies. Mike Pyle is the only one who sometimes comes of as unconvincing but it doesn't really hurt the movie. It is true that Van Damme is only sprinkled throughout, but the film is so fast moving, before you know it, you are already at the final 40 minutes ...and Van Damme owns the *beep* out of it!! It's a blast to see Lundgren too even if it is pretty brief. I didn't really care for how they ended it but it's no big deal. All in all, it is a solid little action flick. It doesn't compare to the original but is still a lot of fun and I look forward to owning the bluray. I thought the music was well done too. Think along the lines of something John Carpenter might have used in a movie. ***out of ****

Better than expected

Author: jacob-noergaard from Denmark
30 December 2009

Did the world really need yet another Universal Soldier movie? Well, no. But at least this one is "official", in the way that it's got the original ensemble, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. This time we get Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski as well.

The story is simple. Terrorists have placed bombs at the abandoned Chernobyl Nuclear reactor and threatens to blow the place up (thus exposing the core) if their terms aren't met.

This wouldn't normally be such a problem, but unfortunately they have a scientist from the Universal Soldier program on board, and he brought along some of his "experiments": The Next Generation Universal Soldier (NGU). And so the original, Luc (Van Damme) is found and brought into action again. But he will not face only one, but two Universal adversaries.

Sure, the movie is predictable and clichéd to oblivion, but somehow I found it to be pretty entertaining. There is also a long cut with Van Damme kicking ass which I first believed would be done in one long take. Unfortunately it wasn't. It was still a relatively long take, and kudos to the directors for that.

In the end we have a fairly polished B-movie. Effects are reasonably well done, acting is mostly pretty pathetic, but it's all quite entertaining in its own way. I give the movie 7 out of 10 which is based on the fact that it's a b-movie (straight to video) and the fact that I didn't really expect much from it. Solid effort.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]