IMDb > Summer's Moon (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Summer's Blood

Summer's Moon More at IMDbPro »Summer's Blood (original title)

Pleasantly surprised by Summer's Moon

Author: Shaz Khan from Edinburgh, Scotland
30 October 2009

Just watched "Summer's Moon" - Non spoiler opinion follows; I wouldn't say this is a typical horror but it certainly was disturbing in parts - but it really depends on your mindset.... I found the 88 minutes pass pretty quickly which is usually a sign that I did enjoy the film. Looking back it had some good moments, kept my interest and had me say to myself a few times..."WTF". Definitely worth watching if you like survival horror/thriller type of genre's.

Having watched "Paranormal Activity" recently which has been hyped up to be one of the scariest films to date, which I don't agree with by the way, this was refreshing and reminded me as a cross between films such as "The Devil's Reject's, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Misery...... As you can see it takes a little from a wide range of movies. 7/10 perhaps! Oh and Ashley Greene is lurvely... ;o)

I actually liked it...

Author: Girish Gowda from BengaLuru, Karnataka
3 April 2010

Summer (Ashley Greene) has run away from home and is searching for her father who had abandoned her and her mother when she was very young. A policeman catches her red-handed while she is attempting to steal from a store. She escapes from the policeman with the help of stranger, Peter (Tom Hoxey). She hooks up with him for a one-night stand and to her horror, he and his mother happen to be psychopaths. Peter catches young girls off-guard and brings them down to his basement where he has a human garden which is downright horrific. Here he subjects them to inhuman torture if the girls try to escape. Summer tries to escape, but cannot and decides it is better to join them rather than knowingly inflicting harm. During the course of her stay, Peter's father comes home and she finds out he is her father also. But her long awaited fairytale reunion is marred by the cold-hearted father who decides to enjoy her young ripe body, rather than enjoying her presence. Peter is bodily harmed when he decides to intervene. Her father takes her away to a secluded area where there is only a woman, whom he plans to finish off. Can Summer manage to escape her monster of a father?

Ashley Greene did a good job in portraying Summer & Peter as the psycho who makes her a pretty flower in his "Human Garden" with skulls & another girl were pretty disturbing. I liked this film more than I would have as it stars Ashley & I'm a fan of her from Twilight. (Now, that will get me some hate..). She's not the two-goody shoes here & its very fascinating. The film when it starts to slightly drag sees the introduction of Peter's father, who is rather entertaining to us audiences. How could any mother do that with her child? That's just gross. This film, though not awesome stands on its own & you will not get bored. The performances are quite realistic. Give it a chance people. Don't overlook it.

Summer's Blood

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
25 December 2010

Ashley Greene goes looking for her father, gets abducted, and then finds out her captor is her step-brother. I guess this is categorized as a horror film because the brother keeps women chained in his basement and tortures them, but the story isn't much more than a gory soap opera.

Ashley is highly unlikeable as a teen with an attitude, and there are only about four other characters who matter. The basic outline is that Summer ends up joining her abductor and his mother in they psychotic endeavor, until the father figure shows up. The dad kills the son for trying to protect Summer, then takes her with him for who knows what, but she kills him and escapes. The movie ends with her walking off alone, like the ending of any episode of Bill Bixby's Hulk. Nothing in this movie really pays off. It just kind of happens. So I'm giving it a 1 out of 10 for being badly made AND not being entertaining on top of that.

WTF did I just watch?

Author: reeseslightning from United States
21 November 2011

I swear, I honestly don't know how these Twilight kids are going to survive in Hollywood if they lose their looks.

Next to Robert Pattinson's the Haunted Airman, this movie comes in 2nd as the worst movie with a Twilight cast in it. I know this because my friends decided to torture me by making me watch all the Twilight actors (pre-Twilight) after I had lost a bet.

This is a movie about a girl who seeks her long lost father (aw, sweet) but then ends up having a one night stand with a weird, but hot guy named Tom who saves her from the big bad sheriff after she's caught stealing (how romantic). When she attempts to leave the next morning, things get awkward as Tom basically kidnaps/keeps her hostage (not so romantic).

Of course, her capture eventually reveals just a whole bunch of traumatic stuff to watch and listen to as the viewer witnesses bad acting, more sex, daddy issues, and a garden of women in the basement. Yet none of that compares to the horrendous acting by Greene and everyone else. This is so B rated and belongs more to the "teenagers attempting to make a horror sexy flick during their free time" genre.

So basically, unless you have this intense desire to see Greene's back (she does no nudity. You'll have to go on a different website for that), skip this and save room in your memory for something that won't make you say, "WTF did I just watch?" or more importantly, "Why did I just watch that?"

So this is how Ashley Greene would have performed if she was given more than 2 lines in twilight

Author: ly truong from Canada
1 August 2010

Although her good looks DID somewhat help lift the movie from a hard zero to a 1/2, Ashley Greene's acting was completely dull, annoying, unrealistic and probably worse than any amateur I've ever seen. Now I understand why Alice never had more than two lines in the twilight saga. The rest of the cast was also so bad that it felt like a torture sitting through this movie. Seriously, can't stress it enough, the acting in this movie is simply quite pathetic. I could not find anything good about this low-budgeted production. The story is also just a pile of predictable crap that we've all seen somewhere before: Girl goes to find her dad but ends up chained in the basement by a family of tormented psychos. Even the blood looks fake! In short, I know a lot of people are gonna be pretty curious about this one but watch it at your own expense. It s a merciless bore-fest!

Daddy Is Coming…

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 March 2011

The rebellious teenager Summer Matthews (Ashley Greene) finds that her mother has hidden that her unknown father is alive and she decides to seek him out. She hitchhikes to the small village called Massey with an old picture of her daddy expecting that someone might identify him. When she arrives in the community, she shoplifts a store but the local sheriff sees and chases her. However the handsome Tom Hoxey (Peter Mooney) helps her to flee and they date during the night. Then Tom brings her home, where he lives with his mother Gaia (Barbara Niven), and they have one night stand. On the next morning, when Summer is ready to go, she is abducted by Tom that discloses that he is not Mr. Nice Guy but the deranged son of a dysfunctional family. Summer is chained in Tom's garden with another "angel", Amber (Dani Kind), whose father Darwin (Peter Michael Dillon) has just left prison and believes that his daughter is missing. When Tom's father Gant (Stephen McNatty) learns about Summer, he heads back home.

"Summer's Blood" is an underrated low-budget slash-movie with a predictable story that has some bold scenes of incest and an unexpected conclusion. I liked the story of a girl that decides to look for her missing father and finds a dysfunctional family of serial-killer. I am impressed how Ms. Barbara Niven is still a very beautiful and charming woman. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Maníacos" ("Maniacs")

well worth watching, and not at all what you'd think

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
4 December 2016

Summer's Moon, also given the slightly less exotic title Summer Blood, is a fascinating little family centered psycho sexual treat, starring an actress who previously hadn't ventures into such intense territory. Ashley Greene is a porcelain beauty best known for those Twilight train wrecks, and its that marketing style these filmmakers have latched onto because of her involvement. The poster has a hazy hue that almost hints at the dreaded vampiric sparkle we've come to loathe. It's picturesque to be sure, but doesn't really provide any warning to the disturbing, gritty and uncomfortably intimate nature ofnthe story. Greene plays Summer, a wayward drifter who arrives in a small bucolic burg, out to find the father she never knew. Enter the Hoxeys, an I'll adjusted family of serial killers claiming to be her long lost family, and beckoning her into depravity with all the charm and hospitality that small town folks can muster. Her brother Tom (Peter Mooney) keeps a kidnapped girl in the basement as a plaything and sleeps with his unstable mother (Barbara Nixon), and that's but a taste of the horror that Summer has waded into. The film takes on new virility when the resident patriarch Gant Hoxey blows back into town, played with visceral ferocity by veteran tough guy Stephen Mchattie. Intense is the word for this guy (ever catch his cameo in A History Of Violence? Christ), and he's a beast as Gant, Summer's estranged father, a man who functions on violence and feeds of fear. The film examines how a clan of murderers might indeed function, right down to twisted lover's spats and drama right out of an R rated Addams Family special. Greene nicely shatters her teen image by bringing us a broken protagonist who finds her dark passenger through resilience and torment, the blackness that sweeps over her soul clearly visible, loomed over by Mchattie's grim reaper influence. Murder and the desire to do so is regarded as a genetic trait in this film, passed along the line of kin, generation to generation, wreaking havoc in the process. A film that I underestimated going in, a terrific horror entry that takes its it's with character and suspense, slow burning up to a spectacularly gory third act filled with tension, blood and Mchattie, that icy voiced devil who steals every scene he's in. Well worth your time.

Ugly Canadian slasher film with incest and bad line reading.

Author: suite92 from SoCal, USA
24 March 2014

Summer travels to the small town of Massey, where she hopes to connect with her long lost father. After shoplifting in a convenience store where a cop is, the cop gives chase. Tom helps her escape the cop, and she goes home with him and has a one night stand. The next morning, though, Tom lets her know that she's not leaving. Tom's mother Gaia hits her over the head with a blunt object to drive the point home.

When Summer wakes up from the head blow, she's staked, all four limbs, to a gardening bed full of exposed soil. She's not alone; there's another captive woman not far away. One version of the title is "Summer's Blood," and we can guess the origin.

Darwin, Summer's putative father, gets out of jail, and comes looking for Summer. The Sheriff listens, but Summer has not left an impression that keeps his interest. He makes a few inquiries; Gaia is the first one whom he asks. Gaia tries to talk Tom into abandoning his 'gardening' and setting the girls free to avoid trouble with the law.

Tom does some reading, which he shares with Gaia. They set Summer free, but keep her in their orbit. Soon after, Gant Hoxey calls, and there are a series of revelations.

Then the emotional fireworks start. Who survives the gore fest? -----Scores------

Cinematography: 5/10 On the dark side for the interiors, with better than VHS quality, but not by much. The colour palettes were often ugly to the point of looking like 1970s video shown during late night. The exteriors, fewer in number, were better, but still had the low-budget look to them.

Sound: 5/10 For a Canadian film done in English, the actors seem to be lip-synching. Perhaps that's a Netflix problem, sound versus video. Music did not seem to be an asset.

Acting: 4/10 Peter Michael Hilton and Paul Whitney were just horrible. Even as little as ten hours practicing reading lines might have helped. On the other hand, veterans Stephen McHattie and Barbara Niven were very good. Peter Mooney and Ashley Greene were just all over the map, occasionally believable, usually terrible.

Screenplay: 2/10 The film is fairly open about incest, real or intended (Gaia and Tom, Tom and Summer, Gant and Summer), but does not seem to even try to capitalise on the shock value. The gardens did not make any sense. Was Tom just practicing protracted torture, or was there something to be gained from the plants? Referring to the original title, was blood actually involved there? What did the young women before Summer actually die from?

Implausible, but moderately entertaining psycho-thriller.

Author: capkronos (capkronos00@hotmail.com) from Ohio, USA
22 April 2011

Obnoxious, foul-mouthed teen Summer (Ashley Greene) has a falling out with her drunken mother, runs away from home and hitches her way to a small town looking for the birth father she's never met. After getting caught shoplifting at a gas station, Summer escapes the police with help from a handsome young guy named Tom Hoxey (Peter Mooney). The two go to a bar and then hook up back at his place. The next morning when Summer attempts to leave, she's knocked out and wakes up chained in the basement. Turns out that Tom is a bit on the unhinged side and his favorite pastime is keeping unwilling girls prisoner in his downstairs "garden." Tom is aided by his lonely, miserable mama Gaia (Barbara Niven), who knows all about her son's little hobby but does nothing to help the victims. A little insane herself, Gaia is still a loving mother. Well actually, she's a little too loving if you catch my drift. Meanwhile, Darwin (Peter Michael Dillon) is snooping around town looking for his missing daughter Amber (Danielle Kind), who is also being held prisoner in the Hoxey home. Things take an even stranger turn when Tom's father and Gaia's husband Gant (Stephen McHattie) - a serial killer himself! - returns home for a visit.

Though the premise is pretty ridiculous, it gets off to a rocky start and the whole thing comes off like an R-rated made-for-TV movie, it's fairly entertaining and has some pretty sick content. Most (not all) of the actors do a serviceable job. I was not very familiar with lead actress Greene, since you couldn't force me at gunpoint to sit through a TWILIGHT movie. She was highly abrasive (and thoroughly unlikable) the first half but seemed to do better as her character became more desperate. Mooney did a nice job as the unstable son and Niven and McHattie were both good as the psycho parents. The film is relatively low on gore, though there's some nudity provided by Cinthia Burke, playing a tough biker babe/garage mechanic here.

The Canadian-born director also made three (very clever) HARRY KNUCKLES shorts and several other genre pictures I've yet to see: the memorably titled Troma release Jesus Christ VAMPIRE HUNTER (2001) and the H.G. Lewis-inspired horror-comedy SMASH CUT (2008).

Should've Pushed the Taboo

Author: complications123 from United States
20 June 2013

First up, anyone reading this should be well aware that this movie is nothing but trash. And yet, there are degrees of trash. I'd rather fall in compost than rotting diapers. The acting is uneven, especially for our female lead, the camera work is dubious with its sort of floating grayness, and much of the dialogue is unnecessary, repetitive, at times inane, and narratively much is left to the imagination. The film did however hold my interest, purely because it so overtly dealt with perhaps the greatest modern taboo; incest.

As other reviewers have mentioned, "Summer's Moon" walks the line between horror and thriller, but never quite commits to either making for a somewhat bland presentation. The best thing the film had going for itself was its bold and unapologetic prevalence of incest. Whereas a shock factor such as this should've been pushed to the extreme, evoking all sorts of disturbing and grotesque feelings, it's left on the backburner as sort of the "oh no!" of the movie. The implications of incest are what are so shocking and disgusting to people. These characters however are somewhat immune to it. Not ignorant of or oblivious to, but immune to. It never impacts any of the characters in the way that it would impact an audience. The implications of mother/son, father/daughter, and brother/sister are more than enough to have the film banned in several countries. "Summer's Moon" never exploits the atrocity the way it should have being that incest is such a focal point of the plot and indeed it would seem one or more characters' sole motivational force.

I wish I could say that what the film passed up in the realm of psychological mayhem was made up for in gratuitous gore, but what little blood is shown isn't even as grisly as most prime time TV shows. There's never really any sense of dread or tension; certainly the script is to blame but the actors also had a very hard time emoting anything other than childish fear with such a whopping dose of abject curiosity thrown in that none of the characters are particularly convincing in their respective roles. Summer is just a little too nonchalant about being a prisoner, and Tom and Mom are just a little too aloof about keeping captives. There's just no indication that the characters themselves have any motivation, as if they had sprouted up in a vacuum and were plopped into this bizarre situation.

Finally, initially significant portions of the film end up stuck with no context. The "garden" was at first a bit eerie, mysterious, weird enough I thought there might be some half-decent reveal later on, but Tom's revolving door of girl-slaves gets shoved aside with no explanation about any of it or its relevance to Summer, who is clearly serving another purpose. And while psycho-Dad was easily the best actor of the lot, what exactly was the mechanism of his lunacy? Did he methodically plan out this whole scenario just to rape his teenage daughter ad infinitum? What did ANY of the film have to do with him killing random women? What purpose did the kidnapping of the last girl play at all? So many incidents are isolated that it can be tough to piece together the arrow of causality.

So, "Summer's Moon," you get a bit of a nod for diving right down into the incest, but somehow you got lost focusing on the murky reflection of the water rather than embracing it's depth and terror.