IMDb > Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Batman: Arkham Asylum (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Holy snowball in Hell, Batman. A GOOD superhero game?

Author: Roland Deschain from Devar Toi
7 October 2009

A lot of people rolled their eyes when Arkham Asylum got 9s and 10s across the board from reviewers, myself included. Although it's a dirty little secret of the video game industry that big companies often buy high scores from media outlets, I am happy to say this time, they didn't have to. The game sells itself, and several hours into it, the jaded cynic within me was brutally beaten and tossed from the establishment.

They have done nearly everything right with this game; the only flaw I could find was that it has a final boss and an ending, and thus does not, as I had hoped, continue into perpetuity.

Let me list a few of the game's good points:

1. You don't die nearly as often as in other games. That might sound like another case of the dumbing down of games for casuals, but it does away with cheap deaths like slipping and falling off a ledge (anytime you miss a dangerous jump, you have a brief chance to press the grapple button to escape death). It's good design, in my opinion, something you'll find a lot in this game.

2. The gameplay has been unfairly skewed to be the most fun thing you've ever experienced. Fights against multiple opponents border on poetic at times, as Batman smoothly segues between attacks, counters, and throws. The secrets riddled (no pun intended) throughout the game that can be accessed with specific gadgets require frequent backtracking, but none of it feels repetitive, which is a credit to the devs.

3. The voice-acting is straight up flawless. Repeat: it is without flaw. Every actor is perfectly cast for his or her role, and they deliver their lines very much in character. The long-time voice of Batman, Kevin Conroy, reprises his role as the Caped Crusader, and Mark Hamill sounds appropriately sociopathic as the Joker, one of the best voice-over jobs in the game, and that's saying a lot.

The bad? The game can seem a tad easy at times, as too many obvious hints are dropped when the game senses you're stuck, however briefly. Also, at 12-15 hours, it's a short game, made even shorter by the fact that you can't stop playing. That's nitpicking, though, and if you see these drawbacks as a reason not to buy the game, you've taken one too many batarangs to the head.

TL;DR version: 10/10. MUST-BUY.

The best game of 2009. Period.

Author: Adam D'Angelo from Toronto, Canada
29 August 2009

WOW! After months and months of anticipation for this game, it has finally been released and I must say that it not only lived up to my expectations, but has far surpassed them.

The game begins with Batman (Kevin Conroy from the 1992 Batman Animated Series) returning The Joker (Mark Hamill) to Arkham Asylum after an attempt is made on the Mayor of Gotham City's life. Once inside Arkham, Batman, along with Comissioner Gordon, deduce that Joker planned to be caught and returned to Arkham because of how simple it was to catch Joker in the fist place. Not to soon after this, Joker does escape custody and (with help from Harley Quinn) sets all of the asylum inmates free. Batman now must save any innocent doctors and cops as well as beat all of the Joker's henchman to a pulp. Some of Batman's greatest enemies make appearances in the game as bosses (Joker, Poison Ivy, Harley, Scarecrow, etc...) and other great villains are not in the game at all, presumably running rampant in Gotham, but files and trivia on these villains can still be found around the game. Story: 10/10

The graphics are truly a marvel to behold with Batman looking especially excellent, you can see each cut on his suit and even his 5 o'clock shadow, Arkham is enormous and is almost fully accessible, and Harley Quinn has never looked better! Visuals: 10/10

The audio is also brilliant, the game has fantastic music and sound effects that are great and totally unique. Each of Batman's cool gadgets give off sounds that almost make them sound as if they are real. Audio: 10/10

The best part of this game is how you actually FEEL like Batman, solving the mysteries of Arkham Asylum as if you were the real Dark Knight. Batman has such a vast array of gadgets from batarangs to his trademark grappling launcher. The combat in the game is very responsive, the stealth elements fit Batman's character well, and the "Detective Mode" becomes more essential to the game the further you go. The only negative point I can think of is that the game is a bit short, but it is totally satisfying. This is the best comic book game of all time, finally breaking the DC Comics video game curse (though Lego Batman was a pretty good DC Comics game, too). Gameplay: 10/10

Just like how The Dark Knight was my favourite film of 2008, Batman: Arkham Asylum is my favourite game of 2009. Get this game, it ROCKS! My overall score: 10/10

Also, is it just me or does Batman look an awful lot like Michael Keaton?

Best game of 2009

Author: kimi-venkat from India
4 November 2009

First of all i am a huge batman fan. I was looking for a batman game for many years and EIDOS has just given the perfect game.

This is the type of game i was expecting after Splinter cell, Hit man and Max Payne..... the game is excellent in all aspects (Story, game play, actions, level designs, graphics).

The story starts with joker taking over the control of ARKHAM ASYLUM leaving batman into a trap. Batman has to save and infiltrate the arkham asylum to stop joker from doing bad to Gotham.Not only against joker but batman also has to fight against his enemies like croc, ivy, bane, scarecrow ....

It is a must play game for batman fans. And if any one is looking out for a best 3rd person action game then they should go for BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM I give 10/10 for the game.. so go buy the game and enjoy it

The Dark Knight does it again as his game is now my favorite video game based on a comic.

Author: Aaron1375
16 January 2010

In fact, this game is probably the first game I have rated a ten and it not be a role playing game. It also saddens me a bit as Spider-man is my favorite comic book character of all time, however Batman has now claimed my favorite movie based on a comic character in "The Dark Knight" and now my favorite video game. Spider-man has made some good games, but nothing as complete. They usually end up missing an element that detracts from game play such as the fact the web slinging kind of sucks as it is just him swinging from nothing and he might as well be flying or the web slinging is great, but the fighting and Spidey's strength is a non factor. This game though combines all of Batman's abilities to perfection as the fighting is fun and satisfying as you clobber wave after wave of Joker henchmen. His gadgets are done nicely as you throw batarangs, set explosive gel, and use grapples to perfection. Then if you are up to it you can hide in the shadows, perch on a gargoyle statue, or hide in the air vents to sneak up and silently take down Joker's men. The story too, is top notch. I enjoyed the opening as Batman once again escorts the Joker to Arkham asylum for the umpteenth time, only this time something seems strange as Joker seemingly wanted to get captured. Well you soon find out that Joker with some assistance from his crazy little gal sidekick Harley Quinn had a plan for escape and soon after the entire island of Arkham is under the Joker's control. Throw in a mad Killer Croc, the insane Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and the Riddler and you have yourself a challenge. Though the game was never really annoying at any point and the game play was quite smooth transitioning from story point and area with ease. You can solve riddles from the Riddler and it is done a lot better than the collecting in most games of this type as the interview tapes and the spirit of Arkham things do not have to be found in any particular order. That and the riddles may be well hidden, but not nearly impossible to find like in a Tomb Raider game. Granted, there could have been a few more villains added to the mix, but I can understand why they did not try to add everyone as that may have detracted from the story a bit. Mark Hammill does the voice of the Joker just as he did on the cartoon and he does it so well that it is scary. Nice to see he found a niche doing voice over work. Kurt Conroy does Batman's voice as he did in the cartoon too. Great game, I would like to see a sequel, but one of even grander scope as I would love to see one in the streets of Gotham, however they could really bungle that so I am also dubious if they did one like that too.

Really enjoyable game with varied game-play, all of which works really well

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 February 2011

I came to this game after finishing the excellent Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and if I'm honest I did struggle to make the jump. Partly this is my age meaning I'm not as good at switching between controls as I was, but also a reflection on how much I enjoyed AC:B. Once I got over this hump though and got the feel for how Batman: AA plays and works, I got into it very quickly and found a very well designed game that features plenty of colour, plenty of variety and was a good solid challenge without ever being frustratingly difficult (in normal setting anyway).

The game play is impressive; in terms of the straight story you'll be called on to work out how to get to places by using your eyes and the gadgets available to you; you'll have combat where your timing and skills are pushed in terms of pulling of combos, blocking and countering attacks but you'll also have stealth sections against armed foes where you get to be the shadowy Batman - taking them out one at a time and disappearing back into the shadows as your increasingly panicked enemies try and find where you are. These were my favourite sections and I do enjoy the additional challenge mini-games you can do in the same format. Since it is a computer game the story is episodic but it still manages to flow pretty well and be quite cinematic in nature. The cut-scenes are well used and do not come too frequently.

Although not a huge free-roam world like Red Dead etc, Arkham Asylum still has lots to explore and find. The secrets maps help a lot but it still is a challenge and it does add material to the game rather than just charging through the main story. Some of these collectables also add detail and colour to the game - I won't say I listened to all the interview tapes, but the bio files (complete with comic-book pictures) were a nice touch and again added a sense of depth to the game beyond just the story.

I am a fan of Batman but not to the point where I know all the characters, but it was enjoyable to see so many main ones have a large role in the game. The Joker is particularly effective and is well voiced by Hamill but everyone does a good job - Poison Ivy was perhaps the exception for me but that is more down to me not really liking her character rather than a problem with the game. The Scarecrow sections were all great - easy enough to "beat" but the design of them and the flashes into Wayne's tortured psyche were really enjoyable. Speaking of the Bat himself, the game achieves the central goal, which is making it fun to play as the Goddamn Batman! The gadgets are cool, the voice acting is good and there is little more pleasing that pulling off those stealth moves without ever being detected and hearing the fear of the Bat enter the voices and behaviour of the remaining henchmen.

The graphics are excellent. Personally it took me a minute to get used to how much of the screen Batman took up (the view just seemed a bit too close for me) but otherwise it looked great. The Gothic atmosphere is tangible and the detective mode is very useful - the only downside of it was that the detective mode is so useful that you end up running around with it on most of the game - which does rather rob you of the atmosphere and the beauty of the "normal view" graphics; not a massive problem, but a shame for sure.

Overall Arkham Asylum is a really great game. Well designed, looks great, plays great and has a story that engages. The characters are full of colour and are well brought to the screen in terms of looks and voice work while the variety in the game-play means I was using my head, my eyes, a stealthy approach and also having button hammering combat - all of which worked very well together and individually.

Why aren't all superhero games this good?

Author: brodlimmel from United States
6 October 2011

The best, yes the absolute best superhero game ever. Well maybe until the sequel at least but this game here makes me wish every superhero adaptation was this good. This game truly captures what it is like to be the worlds greatest detective. The game comes from the Arkham Asylum comics but it is still it's own original thing as well.

Gameplay- This game is flawless you get everything you need to make you feel like you are Batman, you fight like him, get cool gadgets, do a little sneaking around. The AI isn't incredibly smart but when were the henchmen ever smart. The fact they will get terrified as you pick them off one by one that is a truly satisfying feeling. The boss fights aren't that hard except the infamous Poison Ivy fight that is just down right annoying. The game is also great when you set a trap for a henchman and they fall right in it.

Sound- This game sounds amazing the music score is pretty good nothing too notable. But the voice acting is every fan of the animated series cream in there pants. So yes Batman is voiced by Kevin Conroy and the Joker is voiced by the Mark Hamill himself.

Graphics- These look fantastic granted the game is so much easier if you stay in detective mode, but I high recommend just getting out of that and admiring Arkham Asylum and all its glory. What I love is the fact Batman will take damage as the story progresses that is just something story heavy games should have because it adds so much to the game. Plus I personally thing it gives a sense of danger if the hero is getting beaten down.

Story- So the Joker turns Arkham Asylum into his own personal playground but of course he has a more dastardly plan in mind. The player or Batman has to use every tool in his arsenal to stop the crazy clown. In the story you fight The Joker, Harley Quinn, Bane, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, and there are appearances by other Batman villains as well. This is such a Batman fans wet dream I had a hard time putting the controller down wondering whats going to happen next it is really addictive. The ending sets it up for a major sequel but with how great this game is who would ever complain.

Overall this is in my top 10 games ever. I loved the hell out of this game, if you haven't already played go out and buy, buy , buy it. My rating for this game is Jizz In Your Pants good.

The Dark Knight stalks onto consoles.

Author: Bleam66 from United States
1 September 2009

This was one game I was truly afraid of. Not literally of course. Being a fan of the Dark Knight and everything he had accomplished, I was afraid this was going to be another failed attempt at creating him in game. Let's face it, how many memorable Batman games are there? I can't recall any. Now finally, there is one.

We start off with transporting the Joker. Funny how he gave up without so easily. Soon you discover why. After crossing paths with many of his caged thugs, Killer Croc, and various other cameo appearances, Joker escapes your clutches. With the help of his lady friend, Harley Quinn, he is able to keep Batman under observation through the Asylum, and making life a living hell for the Dark Knight.

Now, I knew the story would be great. What I was worried about, as was everyone, was game play. I am so happy to say, the game play is damn near perfect. Each strike, each counter, each glide, it all feels so smooth and fluid. Words cannot even describe the feeling of the combat of this game. While this style may not work in every game, for Batman, it works fantastic. I'll provide an example of the creativity and freedom.

Batman strikes with a punch, back hand, counter, jumps over a thug, waves his cape to blind an armed suspect, take down and disarm, another vicious combination of blows, two more counters, a lift and throw, all in one single combination that flows absolutely perfectly.

It is very simple too. You have a button for striking, countering, your cape, and jumping/running. Now I mentioned it was simple, but it is also complex. As you learn to master it, you can start adding gadgets into the mix, gaining new variations to combat. As said before, my words, and I doubt anyone else's, can truly give this combat justice through words. In essence, try it. Rent this game if you doubt anything about it, and you are almost guaranteed to never wanting to put it down.

There is more to this game than combat however. Much more. In some situations, you have no choice but to fight, but this game revolves around stealth. After all, when is the last time you saw Batman not stalk his opponents into petrification? This is where many of his gadgets will come into play.

I won't spoil all of them. You have the grappling hook, Batarang, and explosive gel to name a few. These alone can help you take Joker's crazy thugs out one by one. However, there is still more to the stealth play.

As you progress through the game, you will unlock experience for various tasks--more coming on that shortly--and gain unlock-ables such as extra stealth play, gadget upgrades, health improvements, and combat bonuses. Utilizing the stealth upgrades are an absolute must. For instance, gargoyles are often littered around a format area, usually with guards armed to the teeth with guns and ammunition, and they are not shy about using it.

Hiding above, scoping out the layout for your use, sometimes an unsuspecting thug will just so happen cross beneath you. Using a certain upgrade, you can grab the thug, and not only disarm him from above, but remove him from the equation all together. Now had you gone down, fists in the air, you'd be dead before you knew what happened. Utilizing stealth from above is just one of many ways. Like combat, there is just no way to truly put in words how excellent it truly is.

I mentioned experience as well. Another great installment in this first chapter. The better you fight, the more experience you get. Taking down thugs in stealth? More experience. Now if you truly want to arm Batman with everything, you will need to go beyond the storyline, and track down 240 Riddler trophies, riddles, and other objectives. There is also another goodies to track down, but I will let you figure that one out.

All in all, this game was made for whether you never heard of Batman, or have been a die hard fan. It caters to everybody who enjoys a good story, excellent combat system--that is easy to use, hard to master--and a whole variety of challenge modes, extras to find, and so much more. At the very least, rent this game. You will not be disappointed. There is a lot of stuff too in this game that.

You will be amazed by the voice acting, the movements, the art work, and the overall complex nature of this vast island you're stuck on. There is plenty of bosses, interview patient tapes, and many shocking moments. I'll end this with a teaser of arguably the best part of this game: Prepare to face your fears...

Best Batman game ever!!!

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
26 July 2012

Having played many Batman games throughout the years, FINALLY a game that really gives you the feeling of being Batman with his arsenal of gadgets and fighting styles that is innovative in execution. Batman: AA is simply THE best Batman game ever created. You got all of Batman's rogues gallery that includes The Joker, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Bane, Scarecrow, and Harley Quinn; some of which are voiced by fellow "Animated Series" veterans such as Kevin Conroy and of course, Mark Hamill, whose chilling portrayal of the Joker is simply the highlight of the games overall narrative.

In visuals, Arkham Asylum is a beautiful game, with a level of detail that's very impressive with stunning animation and lighting effects. On playing the game, I barely noticed any pop-up and polygonal tearing evident on some games, but not hear. Everything is rendered in crisp and clear clarity and if you have a Hi-Def setup, it's all batty.

Historically, Batman has been relegated to mostly side-scrolling fare with limited set of moves and gadgets. The games were good, but never gave you the feeling of being the Caped Crusader. Now with today's technology, gamers and comic-book fans alike can truly experience the Dark Knight in a way never before seen in gaming. Batman: Vengeance, which I admit is the first game to feature Batman in a 3d environment with aforementioned talent on board and it was an impressive game no doubt. But Arkham Asylum is so much more. It delivers the true experience of being Batman to a T. With stunning visuals, superb voice acting, and an innovative combat system that has you beating thugs like a pro, Arkham Asylum is simply the GREATEST Batman video game ever made. Having just beaten the game, I'm ready for Arkham City.

An amazing achievement

Author: XavierInVanCity from Canada
26 August 2009

This is the single most powerful video game I have ever played.

Let us start with gameplay. The stealth, action and gadget aspects are all top notch. The only flaw here is that the combat is somewhat repetitive. This is the only mark against this otherwise perfect game.

Every villain in this game has been realized and used to the utmost effect. In particular Mark Hamill's Joker is a terrifying beast, who's constant chatter over the megaphones is at the same time disturbing and hilarious.

The single most powerful moment in the game, however, is during one of the confrontations with scarecrow. The reliving of the murder of Bruce's parents genuinely affected me, and made Scarecrow's presence more than another another villain spot.

The points above, combined with beautiful graphics and animation and an engaging, dark storyline, make Batman: Arkham Asylym game of the year material for sure. A must play for anyone.

A truly amazing work

Author: Masio O. from United States
30 June 2015

Batman: Arkham Asylum is an excellent game by Rocksteady. I give it a full 10/10 because everything about it is perfect. It introduced a unique style of hand-to-hand combat that would stun players and be used in future Arkham games. The realism of the fighting is pretty good as well. The plot of the game is both epic and within boundaries. From the point of entering Arkham you will find that the environment is immersing and large. The amazing open world gives this game it's most key point to it's success: it's atmosphere. This is what really shapes up the game for me. The atmosphere makes you feel awesome yet somewhat eerie and disturbed. The boss battles have been called "just OK", but I think they are well put together and fun. The rouges gallery in this game is just great. You see many of your favorite Batman villains and can read up on many more by solving interesting riddles related to villains. The graphics are also very good. The Asylum has a very modern and dark tone to it, adding to the overall feel of the game. With Batman's load of gadgets, you'll have endless fun. Of course the street fighting combat is fun and well-recognized, the predator stealth combat is also great. If you beat the game, you'll most likely want to beat it again. Also, if you want to do something other than the campaign, there is a long Riddler challenge with collectibles and riddles hidden all over Arkham as well as fighting challenges to do. Overall, this an absolutely great game that you should play if you haven't.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]